Case One

The Matchmakers
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It all started when Hoseok was left alone in one of the dance club's practice rooms. Most of the students had already deserted the campus, but being a perfectionist meant staying a little longer to refine his moves. Besides, he had to prepare for another monthly evaluation coming soon. This was just an ordinary school night for a responsible team captain, he believed.

At least, it was supposed to be an ordinary school night until a guest arrived unexpectedly. It wasn't completely unwelcomed.

“Oh hi, Hoseok! Uh... Seulgi isn't here anymore?”

Calm down, calm down. It’s just Wendy. “Yeah, it’s been just me here for about... perhaps half an hour after the meeting.”

“Really? We were supposed to meet here…”

“…”

“Do you mind if I wait here? Unless you’re not done rehearsing-”

“No, it’s fine. I’m done anyway.” He was not.

But he was also not the type to miss an opportunity like this. A small chat with Wendy was all he was expecting, really. Minutes later, they were both sitting on the floor, smiling and laughing at some stories while eating her home baked brownies which she willingly shared and everything just felt so comfortable. Hoseok knew he was doomed the moment he realized he couldn’t keep his eyes off of her at all. This is no ordinary night for him.

Unbeknownst to them, one person was silently observing from outside.

-

Jimin only wanted to get his power bank back. He wanted to grab it as soon as possible so he could get out of this creepy building that was getting darker by second. In the first place, he should not even be striding in this dimly lit corridor if it wasn’t for Jungkook leaving things unattended after borrowing them during practice. But no matter how urgent his phone needed some recharging, something stopped him from walking any further. More particularly, someone who was crouching outside the practice room.

He squinted. He couldn't believe his eyes. That someone looked suspiciously like Kang Seulgi, who was peeping through the half-glass door, trying her best not to be seen by whoever was inside. Jimin tried not to think of anything weird. From what he knew in the few months since school started, Seulgi was a respectable student, admired by her juniors and seniors. Even so, it was getting difficult not to suspect anything the moment she pulled out her phone and started taking pictures.

Although it seemed like she failed to remain inconspicuous until the very end with how abrupt she sprinted away from the door, opposite to where he was rooted.

Hoseok came out, but missed her when she swerved around a corner. He, on the other hand, did not go unnoticed. "Oh, Jimin. Why are you still here?"

"I left something in there."

"Ah. Okay. Did you perhaps see anyone around here?"

Jimin considered telling the truth. But the curiosity was too much to give up on it. Was she actually stalking him? Before he could come up with an answer, a girl came out of the room. Oh? Isn’t she-

“Hey, I got a text from Seulgi. She’s waiting by the south gate. I guess I’ll go now.”

Jimin saw how the two exchanged farewells, then returned a polite smile to the girl and watched how Hoseok’s eyes followed her every step.

-

“Why are you grinning like an idiot?”

Startled, Seulgi nearly dropped her phone. It was a good thing that Joohyun was busy ironing clothes, else she would have had a glimpse at the marvelous pictures she took earlier. This was the only time she was able to check them, while Wendy was still in the shower.

Tonight’s adventure was unexpected, but definitely yielded an interesting memory with even a tangible proof. Although she did not know what to do with it yet. On their walk back to their dorm, Seulgi had planned to confront Wendy about her little picnic. It’s just that, she

Please log in to read the full chapter