Post 1

Never Let Me Go

Hello.

My name is Kim Yeon Joo. I am 24 years old and I'm from Seoul. I can't tell you exactly from where but please just continue reading. 

Currently, I am working as a care-taker in the outskirts of the city. It was either that or........ I can't tell you exactly yet but please bear with me. I will reveal it soon but not now. It'd be too confusing. 

I was an orphan from birth and thus grew up alone in this world. Of course i made friends at the orphanage and at school but i have no one to call my own. I guess maybe I was not meant to be loved hahaha

The main purpose of this blog is to feel like i have an entity in this huge world. I always felt so significant and even if i disappeared, i feel like no one will even know of my existance. I guess, you could say that i just want to be remembered. 

Sorry for the bleak starting but i truly do feel this way and i don't mean for you, dear reader, to feel upset.

Anyway,let me tell you the first story about my past. It might be a bit boring but it'll give you the context to the rest of my stories. 

 

I grew up in a special orphanage. I cannot tell you the name of the orphanage but it is based in England and they have expanded around the world. Sort of like an international organisation. The founder had a vision to save lives and decided that she will open up a system of orphanages. Especially since so many of them mistreat the children in them and many children are being abused or sold for money. The orphanage also houses teachers instead of normal care- takers so that the children can go to school without additional payment. In a way, it was like a child care centre infused with a tuition centre. Just that the children never leave the premises since they didn't have a home. It was pretty innovative I guess. 

As I previously mentioned, I am an orphan from birth and i guess my birth parents left me at this orphanage because my earliest memories go back to living in this place already. I stayed there until i turned 21 and was giving the choice of leaving or to continue living at the orphanage. I decided to leave and thus have been a care-taker ever since. 

When i was still at the orphanage, I had made a few friends. Their names are Irene, Seulgi, Leo and Ravi . Of course there were many other people in the orphanage but I won't mention all of them in case you get confused. But i mightt mention the 4 names more often as they are more relevant to my story. 

We were a close knit bunch. All of us were around the same age, despite the boys being a bit older, but with Irene and Seulgi, who wouldn't want to hang out with us? Not to sound conceited but everyone in the orphanage was incredibly good looking. Everyone had talents of their own and seemed in the prime of health all the time. Of course the orphanage had a part of this since we were only fed with organic health food and were only allowed junk food once every 3 months. Also, smoking and drinking were huge crimes that can lead to expulsion from the place. Fitness classes were conducted every odd day of the week and we had a fitness test every 3 months. If you fail, there goes your privilege to junk food. Perhaps the good looks and talents was God's gift since we had the misfortune of not having a family. 

Anyway, to tell you more about the orphanage, we all had to study. We had a curriculum of these subjects: Korean, Mathematics, Biology, basic chemistry, 3 art electives and 2 other optional courses. After you reach a certain aptitude, you are allowed to specialise in a certain subject or if you had additional talents like singing or dancing, you could persue that. But hardly anyone was allowed to leave to specialise in anything so most of us stayed in the orphanage until we turn 21. The art electives varied from year to year but it hones our artistic abilities. 

There are also art festivals every year where anyone can submit their artwork to their care-takers to be displayed for the whole school to see. No one knows for sure what happens to the pieces after the festival but it was a given that you wouldn't ever get your work back. Rumour has it that the pieces are sent to the founder in England and she keeps them as a token of her life's work but it hasn't been proven since we never get to see the founder. 

Anyway, that's the background of the orphanage that I was at. I'll come back next time to tell you more but until next time! 

 

Yeon Joo