Feeling Unloved

Feeling Unloved - Minjun

Small feet slowly traveled across down the hallway, turning his small head around, he glanced back over his shoulder before letting out a soft huff. Pushing open his slightly closed door, he entered into his dark room, with trains and cars littering the floor while blankets hung off of his small table to make a blanket fort. Flipping on the light, he grabbed a small backpack that hung on the back of one of the miniature chairs. ping the blue, red and yellow backpack, he dumped out all of the contents onto his floor before walking over to his bed and pulling his favorite blanket from the mess of covers. Laying the blanket on the ground, he tried to fold it like he had seen you, his mom, execute time and time before.

Walking around the four corners of the blanket, he carefully brought each corner together as the blanket got smaller and smaller with each fold. Picking the folded blanket in his small hands, he walked it over to his bed and pushed it into the small backpack before heading over to his closet. Pulling some clothes off of the hangers, he folded them the same before adding them to his backpack.

His favorite stuffed bear stat on his bed as the button eyes begged to come along. Pushing the teddy bear into his backpack as well, he added one or two of his favorite cars before pulling the zipper across its track.

With the backpack filled, he carefully pulled it over his shoulders as he fumbled with the straps for a slight moment before his large brown eyes scanned his room. Lingering gazes on the bed reminded him of all of the stories that you and Minjun, his dad, had told to him time and time again. Moving his eyes to the small table, he remembered setting up wooden train tracks with his dad and then you joining them to play trains for hours on end. Tears began to swell in his eyes as his small heart began to ache, walking over to his bookcase he pulled his favorite book from the shelves as he sat down on the ground and opened the cover page revealing the first page.

Moving his eyes over the colorful pages, he softly replayed the story in his head and heart, having memorized the story.

“What a good baby!” The voice of his father, Minjun cooed as the laugh of you joined his words as the praise began to flow from your words endlessly for the small being that you had brought home a week prior.

“I wish I didn’t have a sister…” The small boy hummed as his lip slowly protruded into a pout. “She took my parents away from me…”

Standing to his feet, he placed his favorite book on his bed before opening the door, checking both directions of the hallway.

“I’ll go feed this little princess” You stood up with your little girl cradled in your arms, swaddled in a light blanket, you headed down the hallway as your little boy ducked behind his door so that you wouldn’t notice him.

Closing the door to your bedroom slightly as you passed through with the little one in your arms, your little boy slowly made his departure from his room. Cautiously traveling down the hallway, he reached the corner of the hallway and peered around the main living area before slowly tip toeing across the tile floor of the kitchen.

Minjun began to clean up the living room, tossing the little baby toys into a basket then folding the blankets and placing them on the couch. Moving into the kitchen, he smiled as his eyes met his son, Tejion.

“Hi Tejion, how are you doing bud?” Minjun knelt down to one knee as he tried to give his son a warm and welcoming smile.

“Fine” Tejion replied as he carefully tucked his thumbs underneath the straps of his backpack pressing into his small shoulders.

“What are you playing? Would you like a sidekick?” Minjun questioned, seeing the backpack almost outweighing his son that stood before him.

“I’m not playing” Tejion stated simply

“Then what are you doing?” Minjun tilted his head slightly, growing slightly on edge of the odd behavior of his son.

“I’m…” Tejion stopped as his mind began to think, “I’m going to go on a walk”

“Oh you are? Where are you traveling to?” Minjun played along while trying to figure out what Tejion was up to.

“Away…” Tejion whispered, his large eyes dropping to the tile floor below his socked feet.

“Where are you going away to?” Minjun inquired his eyes slightly widening at his son’s reply.

“To a family who loves me” Tejion answered causing Minjun to fall speechless. Running his tongue over his lips, Minjun allowed his mind to think for a moment before his mouth opened.

“Do you mind if I come with you?” Minjun lifted his hand, resting it on his son’s small arm. Tejion shook his head not minding the extra company. “Go get on your shoes then and I will go tell Mommy where we are going.”

Standing upright, Minjun lightly trotted back to the bedroom door as he poked his head in to see you feeding the little girl in your arms with a blanket covering you.

“I am going on a walk with Tejion, we should be back soon. If you need anything you can text me” Minjun smiled lovingly at you while the words sweetly spilled from his lips.

“Okay, I think I can manage, she is about to sleep anyways” You whisper trying to not to wake your little girl.

“We will see you later then love” He kissed his fingertips and blew two kisses towards you and your daughter before backing and closing the door behind him.

Trotting to the foyer, he rounded a pillar that separates the entry from the rest of the home as he saw Tejion twisting the handle of the front door.

“Hold on bud, let me grab a jacket and my shoes” Minjun tried to sound happy and enthusiastic as he quickly slipped on some shoes and grabbed his jacket before Tejion walked out of the opened front door.

Rushing to keep up with his four year old, he held his jacket in his hands before trotting out the door and closing the front door behind him.

“Hold up Tee” Minjun called to his son by his nickname as he saw him already down the sidewalk a ways.

Picking up his pace, he ran to his son’s side before slowing down and pulling on his jacket.

“Where are we going?” Minjun questioned wondering if Tejion had changed his mind

“I already told you, to my new family” Tejion kept his eyes forward as the serious tone in his voice caused Minjun to worry.

“W-Which way is your new family?” Minjun questioned, hoping that being supportive would help in this situation.

“This way” Allowing his son to point the way, he followed behind him keeping him within a safe distance as Minjun slipped his hands into his pockets and followed his four year old along the sidewalks of the neighborhood.

An hour or two passed as they wandered into a darker, poverty evident neighborhood. Passing by apartments with bars on the windows and gates at every entry, large dogs pressed themselves up against the bars of their fences showing their large teeth.

Falling back a little more Minjun began to get a little uneasy about this plan of being supportive of his son. Questions constantly formed in his mind as he continued to follow his son before Tejion stopped and turned back around to his father.

“I want to go alone now” Tejion told his father, falling speechless again. Minjun nodded putting his love and trust in his small son, hoping that he would change his mind quickly.

“Okay, I will stay right here” Minjun stood his ground as your son slowly walked turned back around, his small feet walked a little further before turning his head around and looking back. His small feet continued before he turned around to see his father’s figure smaller than before. A tightening filled his chest as he fully turned around and stood there a moment before easing himself down on the gravel road.

“Do you love me Daddy?” Tejion called with his loud voice as his tear soaked eyes allowed to release the puddle of tears to roll down his cheeks.

“I will always love you, no matter what you do” Minjun nodded as a pain grew in his chest, wondering if he was going to return home without Tejion, becoming anxious, he held his ground for a moment longer ready to run and take him home if needed.

“Why do you keep giving the new baby all of your attention and not me? Am I not fun anymore?!” Tejion questioned through his broken voice as large tears dripped off of his chin.

“The baby needs us more than you do, you are a big boy and can feed yourself and dress yourself, the baby can’t do that. We have to do that for her” Minjun explained as your son slowly began to understand. “We love you with all our hearts, but we have to make sure that your sister knows that we love her too.”

“Do you want me back?” Tejions question hit Minjun like a ton of bricks, the tightness in his chest increasing while tears began to blur his vision.

“Always”

Standing his ground began to burn a hole into his heart, watching his son stand there watching him, he prayed that his son would come back home. So that once more, he could hold him in his arms, once more they could play trains together, kick a ball around in the back yard, just once feeling him fall asleep on his chest as his small heart beat next to his bigger one.  

“Will you miss me if I leave?” Tejion’s mind began to feel the weight of his actions as fear kept him sitting in the gravel road. While his bold move to run away was slowly taking it’s toll on him.

“Every minute of every day” Minjun let a tear run down his cheek as his son looked around and shivered at the cool fall breeze that ran past his small body unsheltered from any weather that was going to come over them.

Minjun watched as Tejion slowly stood up to his feet, turning his small body sideways and looking up the street then back down at his dad.

“Please buddy…” Minjun whispered as another few tears rolled down his cheeks. A few more dogs barked as dark clouds began to congregate at the empty end of the street before he looked back at his dad standing there with his arms slightly opened.

Making up his mind, his small feet quickly ran into his dad’s arms, “I’m sorry, Daddy”

Bending down and picking up Tejion in his arms, feeling the small body once again in his arms, he encased the small figure between his arms while holding him tightly as joy began to overwhelm him sweeping away the fear that once resided within.“It’s okay, bud”

Standing upright Minjun continued to hold Tejion tightly within his arms. Wrapping his small arms around his father’s neck, the soothing smell of Minjun’s cologne filled Tejion’s nostrils as he nuzzled into his father’s neck. Pressing his lips into Tejion’s forest of black hair on top of his head, Minjun closed his eyes and rested his head on his son’s relieved and thankful than ever before.

After a moment or to, four words slowly spilled from Minjun’s lips, his soft voice wanting to convey the love within his heart for the boy between his arms, “Ready to go home?”

Feeling the nod of his head of his son, he pressed another kiss on top of his head as Tejion shuffled the backpack off of his back as Minjun slipped it onto his shoulder before slipping Minjun inside of his jacket while the wind began to pick up, blowing dried leaves while the sun slowly began to fade from the conspiring clouds.

It was dark when the two finally arrived back home, the front porch light was shining bright through the sprinkling of rain. A single body began to approach your door as you quickly stood up from your chair and unlocked the front door to see a soaked Minjun with Tejion tucked within his jacket. Keeping quiet, Minjun stepped inside as he slipped off his shoes then ped his jacket revealing the safe and sleeping Tejion.

“What happened?” You whispered, not wanting to wake either sleeping child.

“He thought that we loved the new baby more than him so he wanted to find a new family…” Minjun’s dark eyes  met with yours, the slightly bloodshot eyes told you the rest as you stepped closer to them as you pressed a kiss on Tejion’s head.

Shuffling Tejion into your arms, he peeled the soaked hoodie away from his form before kissing your head softly.

“Min…” You whispered as he gently tucked some hair behind your ear.

“Yes, my love?”

“Thank you for bringing him back home” You felt a tear trail down your cheek as Minjun nodded slowly before brushing away the tear with his thumb.

“C-Can he sleep with us tonight?” You questioned, not wanting your almost lost son to be anywhere but with you.

“I was going to ask you the same thing” Minjun smiled as he pressed another kiss on your head before going to lock up the house for the night.

Heading back into the bedroom, you carefully laid sleeping Tejion on your bed before going to gather some dry pajamas for him. Pulling his Batman pajamas out, you headed back to your room and slowly changed your son before turning down the covers and moving him underneath them.

Slipping in next to him, you pulled the string on the lamp as the soft yellow glow highlighted his small, angelic face. Slowly trailing your fingers across his brow, you brushed away the stray strands of hair before dragging your light touch down his plump cheeks. Seeing more of his father in his sleeping face, you just smiled and pressed a light kiss against his forehead before pulling your body closer to his.

Faintly hearing Minjun enter the room, he changed into some sweatpants and pulled off his wet shirt. Wandering over to the bassinet on your side of the bed, he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss against his daughter’s light black hair.

“I love you” He whispered softly, brushing his finger against the back of her hand as she moved her lips against one another, encompassed with sleep. Moving from one angel to the next, he leaned down and pressed his lips gently against your temple as he brushed back some hair from your eyes, seeing Tejion secure between your arms.

Slipping in behind you, his arm draped over the dip in your side as his large hand overlapped yours as well as felt the soft Batman pajamas of his son.

“I love you” He whispered to the two of them as sleep pulled him into the dark of the night.

The bright morning sun cut through the curtains and casted down on the jostled bedsheets that covered four bodies. The younger bodies woke up first, the littlest girl waking up and shaking awake her older brother as they kept quiet, pressing this small fingers against their lips to signal one another to keep quiet. Making secret plans, the little girl happily moved over to her dad’s sleeping figure as the little boy moved over to his mom’s. With a nod of the older brother’s head, they began to shake and tickle the two parents as you jolted awake to see your son, Tejion sitting on top of you with a bright smile.

“You’re going to pay for this” You teased, lifting up your hands and resting them on his sides as you began to tickle him. His beautiful laughter filled the room as his loud laugh turned quiet when he couldn’t breathe. Letting your fingers gently cease, he wrapped his arms around your neck as you hugged him back.

“Da Da” Your, once newborn daughter, Jacqueline tried to bounce on your husband trying to wake him.

Watching your daughter, you knew your husband’s antics as you just awaited as he hummed before he opened one eye, seeing his daughter in a light pink footed pajama bounce on his chest.

“Roar!” Your husband awoke as he wrapped his large hands around her small torso as he squeezed her sides causing her to laugh while her fingers went into before trying to push away his larger ones.

“Can we go to the park today?” Tejion questioned as he looked outside seeing the sun shine finally after a few days of dark clouds.

“Sure, why don’t you two go get changed” You told them as they happily nodded and made their way off of the bed, climbing over your legs. Tejion slid down first then helped Jacqueline down from your bed.

Tejion ran out of the room happily with Jacqueline running as fast as her small legs could carry her.

“They are a handful” Minjun wrapped his arms around you, bringing his strong body against yours as you nodded with a hum.

“Maybe one would have been easier…” He teases, his breath tangling in your hair as he tightened his grip on you.

“You were the one who wanted another one” You teased back as your hands tickled his sides causing him to laugh loudly while his grip tightened on you.

“But you agreed” He smirked as you nodded,

“I did, they are two goofballs like you” You lifted your hand and ruffled his morning hair. “Yet, I can’t help but love them like I love you.”