1/1

Microwave
“Did you just seriously waste your lunch money on buying a piece of junk just to microwave it?”
 
Namjoon was bewildered, watching as the young teen placed the old cellphone neatly at the center of the microwave oven. Disbelief written all over his face after spending hours of being on duty at gigs just to earn enough money for Jungkook to have lunch for school, but instead, he wastes it on something he’s going to destroy later on.
 
“You say like it’s a bad thing, hyung.” Jungkook said while closing the door. Namjoon just sighed and watched the younger dial numbers on the key pad. He swiftly grabs his iPhone from the table, opens the camera and positions it in front of the oven.
 
“So what’s going to happen?” Namjoon questions as he joins him.
 
“I don’t want to spoil the fun, so you have to see for yourself, hyung.” Jungkook bluntly answered. Namjoon shrugged and carefully watched the microwave.
 
Namjoon eyed the Jurassic cellphone. After a few seconds, smoke seeped out between the tight space of the LCD screen and cellphone case followed by a flashing light inside, foam-like bubbles popped out from the sides and through the keypad.
 
“It’s starting! It’s starting!” The excited teen said, eyes wide in joy. Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows.
 
After two more lights flashed, grey and black foamy bubbles protruded from the LCD screen, keypad and headset inserter. By the third light, it gathered and rose around the keypad. It continued to grow and grow, a mixture of black and grey bulging out and popped as it grew bigger and bigger, it’s like there were popping popcorn inside it.
 
Namjoon found this fascinating. Jungkook was excited to post this on his Instagram account along with the flood of likes he’ll be getting.
 
 Just as the fourth light flashed, the foam started to take form. Namjoon didn’t have time to process what he saw when the fifth light flashed and it was like the foam exploded for a second, splattering the insides of the microwave with its black goo. For a second there he thought he saw a face forming, but it’s probably just his imagination.
 
A series of light flashed inside, each flash showing what seems to be a head slowly protruding from the heated gadget. Namjoon thought it was just a natural thing until the head moved to face Jungkook’s camera.
 
Namjoon was trying to be sceptical but he couldn’t when he saw that what he assumed were the eye sockets looking directly at Jungkook’s camera, its jaw wide open in the form of screaming, and a silent hiss could be heard inside the microwave.
 
Light flashed instantaneously and continuously as the head whirled around the microwave, black goo decorating the inside. Namjoon grabbed Jungkook by the shoulder while eyeing the head. Hissing turned into screeching as the light went on and off, each time showing the head banging against the microwave glass. Namjoon thought he was just seeing things when the microwave glass cracked on the second attempt. It continued to bang against the glass as the light went haywire, turning on and off in rhythm of the banging, the crack growing and growing, more goo exploded, covering the inside with black.
 
As Namjoon brought Jungkook away from the microwave, the house suddenly shook and the lights were going on and off. Namjoon looked back at the microwave when the glass exploded, shards flying straight to them. He quickly jumped Jungkook away, landing on the floor with Namjoon on top, covering his younger brother.
 
The house stopped shaking but the lights continued to flicker. Namjoon looked at the microwave to find the foam oozing out of the broken glass and on to the tiled floor of the kitchen. The lights flickered instantaneously as the foam settled on the center of the room, each flicker the foam popped and grew into the head, along with a neck, shoulders, torso, arms.
 
Namjoon watched as its arms popped out and pushed itself out of the foam, legs forming seconds later, using them to further exit out of the puddle of black and grey foam.
 
As it stood on its two long slender legs, black and white ooze dripping, it arched its head and screeched an ear breaking screech, causing the lights to explode, surrounding Jungkook and Namjoon in total darkness.
 
Namjoon frantically searched for a source of light and saw that Jungkook’s LCD screen was still on. Jungkook pointed the screen at Namjoon’s face. Namjoon grabbed the phone and pointed it into the direction of the thing only to find himself face to face with it.
 

Author’s Comment
 
Honestly speaking, I find this completely random. I guess I needed to do something to escape from all the stress of being president in the classroom and in our club. I hate having responsibilities since I’m such a carefree person and I value my own time over other things, but since I’m such a creative person and tend to give suggestions, I get elected. Pffft.
 
I got the subject from a random gif I found on 9gag that was about, yup, microwaving a cellphone, an old one to be exact. This is probably my shortest one-shot horror story, but I hope ya’ll enjoyed it!