1/1

Counterflow

“Dr. Lee, are you sure the android is stable?”

Jinki stood in front of his creation, eyes wavering. His beautiful creation- something that’d he’d constructed with his own two bare hands, now had it’s eyes wide open. The robot’s handsome face was looking back at him, unmoving. His eyes resembled dark mahogany, and Jinki figured that if it was actually alive, they’d be shining.

“I programed him to learn from orders.” the scientist replied, not even bothering to turn and look away from his creation, “He should be perfectly fine.”

“And what will you call him, sir?” his colleague feebly asked.

“M.I.N.H.O,” Jinki decided simply, “Machine Intended to Not Hate Others.”

“How… charming, sir.”

A small chuckle escaped Jinki’s lips. “It’s corny, I know,” he took a step closer to the machine, “but I wanted to make something that could take in positive human emotions, and learn from them. He’s not going to hate others.”

His partner raised an eyebrow, tapping his foot against the glaringly white lab floor. “And you’re absolutely sure there’s no chance of M.I.N.H.O learning any negative-type emotions? That seems to be an awful large generalization, sir-”

He will not hate others.”



Log One - December Fifth, 7:54 PM

Day One of M.I.N.H.O’s life has begun. He’s mute at the moment, despite his programming. I’m guessing that this is just a human-like response similar to awkwardness, and he’ll just need to warm up to me as well as the other scientists looking after him. Will update on consistently.

He seems to be doing well concerning mobility; he was programmed to be more athletic and he seemed to like playing with a soccer ball I brought in with me.

Overall, it was a productive first day and I’m hoping that the unit will become for comfortable over time.

 

Log Two - December Sixth, 8:01 PM

Day Two was considerably much better than Day One, by far. Regarding speech and communication, M.I.N.H.O was much more open today. He asked for the soccer ball again, however I unfortunately didn’t have one and instead gave him a basketball. He began to argue and become angry, but I reinforced the idea that he shouldn’t do this and instead be respectful by the means of leaving the room for five minute intervals.

He’s beginning to learn, which is a big step.

Sadly, he didn’t speak too much other than our one negative confrontation and just small general questions. This is a big step still.

Questions asked:

  • What is your favorite color?

  • What foods do you enjoy?

  • Who are you?


Log Three - December Seventh, 7:36 PM

Day Three was a bit of a setback, overall. Only one sentence was said by the unit. He asked why I kept leaving.



“Who am I?”

It was day seven of the M.I.N.H.O project- Jinki had skipped the past few days and let a few other scientists handle his work for a bit. He’d heard things hadn’t gone too well- the unit had done a lot of rebelling, despite the repercussions. This wasn’t good. If the android wasn’t going to be kind and positive, his project would be a failure.

Jinki now sat in the bare white testing room with M.I.N.H.O, glancing to the glass pane where other technicians and specialists sat observing. Their watchful gazes were hard, and for a second, Jinki felt a pang of guilt for keeping his creation trapped in here. There wasn’t much to the observation room- just a plain bed, a couple pieces of exercise equipment, and a drawing pad and pen.

His creation sat on the ground, while Jinki sat on the bed, looking down upon him. “You’re M.I.N.H.O. You’re kind, caring, and loving. You are respectful to others, and listen carefully.”

“My name is Minho?” he questioned softly. It was always questions with him- he was programmed to only take in new information and put it to use, after all.

“That’s right. Your name is very special,” he placed a hand on the machine’s broad shoulder, “It means to be kind- that’s just what you do.”

“And what does your name mean, Lee Jinki?”

Jinki chuckled, “My name doesn’t really have a meaning.”

Doesn’t have a meaning?” the android furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head, “Why does my name have a meaning, and yours doesn’t?”

“You’re wonderful and special like that, Minho.” Jinki sat up and folded his hands on his lap. His eyes traveled across the machine’s body- while he had a more masculine body type, he tended to express somewhat feminine gestures. Jinki found it charming and cute, to say the least.

“Wonderful and special,” he breathed, and pointed to himself, “I’m wonderful and special right?”

Another chuckle. Jinki ruffled his hair, “That’s right.”

This caused a smile to spread across the robot’s face, “You’re wonderful and special too, Lee Jinki. Wonderful and special.”


 

Log Four - December Tenth, 9:32 PM

The M.I.N.H.O unit has become obsessed with compliments. Today they were the only thing that came out of his mouth- this is a very large improvement. Will follow up if this behavior continues.



Log Five - December Eleventh, 8:45 PM

The complement trend continues, now with M.I.N.H.O taking a liking to the words marvelous and lovely. He’s become quite the chatterbox; he definitely enjoys learning.

We also played a bit with the sports equipment; I brought in the soccer ball again and he was overjoyed. He’s gotten stronger


Log Six - December Twelfth, 10:29 PM

Yet another positive day of reinforcement and discussion. Nothing out of the ordinary or different.

I’m going to begin to model certain situations in the testing room with strangers and other people who he doesn’t know yet, and see how he fares. Hopefully if anything negative happens, he’ll learn and adapt to know what the positive reaction should be.



“What’s happening, Lee Jinki?”

The scientist grasped his creation’s hand and squeezed it. Despite being a machine, M.I.N.H.O’s palms were still warm and human-like.

“We’re going to see how you fare with people besides me, okay?” Jinki began, “You need to stay calm and positive if you want to pass the test. Can you do that, M.I.N.H.O?”

M.I.N.H.O looked down at his feet, biting his lip. “Yes, Lee Jinki.” he finally murmured.

“Remember, you’re wonderful and special. You’re going to do great.” the creator gave one last squeeze to the android’s hand before exiting the testing room and taking his place behind the glass observation window. His creation looked back at him hollowly, his body stoic and unmoving.

“We’re good to go; subjects may enter now.” Jinki spoke into a small microphone on the desk, and folded his hands. He had high hopes, especially after the past few days of nothing but positivity emitting from the robot.

A group of four scientists promptly entered the room, greeting M.I.N.H.O with kind smiles. The unit however, was unmoving. His eyes were still trained on the scientist outside the window. His creator.

“Let’s begin with a positive action,” Jinki announced into the microphone, “Miss Kim Jiyeong, could you please give the unit some positive reinforcement? Tell him he looks nice, ask him how he’s doing, etcetera.”

Jiyeong stepped forward, placing her bony hand on M.I.N.H.O’s shoulder. The android became stiff at her touch, and looked away. She began to utter words that Jinki was unable to hear behind the glass, smiling. The creation neglected to respond.

Jinki raised an eyebrow, scribbling down notes in his notebook,  “Thank you, Miss Kim.”

It was definitely odd to see M.I.N.H.O have no reaction to the complement; usually he was so enthusiastic towards them. Jinki frowned. Was something wrong with the programming all of a sudden? Was something broken?

“We’ll follow that up with a slightly negative action,” Jinki continued, “Mrs. Song Jiyu, can you deflect Miss Kim’s complement and tell the unit that he’s the opposite of what she just told him?”

Jiyu nodded, and changed character. She began to frown and taunt M.I.N.H.O, tossing snide remarks over her shoulder. The android still stood still with no reaction. His eyes were still trained on the man outside the room.

Jinki sighed in exasperation; something had to be wrong- this wasn’t the M.I.N.H.O he’d been training over the past few days.

“Thank you Mrs. Jiyu, that’s enough.” the scientist directed, peering over at his creation, “Would someone perhaps reboot the unit? I don’t know what’s wrong with him right now, maybe something froze, or a patch of code was effected.”

The group of scientists inside of the testing room looked at one another wearily, chatting amongst themselves. Finally, a male stepped forward, glancing at Jinki before presuming his job. He said a few words to M.I.N.H.O, and then began to cautiously approach the robot.

Jinki’s fingernails were digging into his skin, waiting to see if there would be any reaction from the unit. M.I.N.H.O still was stonily gazing at him.

The male scientist reached for the back of the android’s neck, trying to locate the reboot button, before he flinched. Jinki frantically reached for his notebook and pen.

M.I.N.H.O turned towards the scientist, shooting daggers with his eyes. He muttered something, and the man instantly backed away, hands out in front of him. The unit followed him, refusing to tear his eyes away from his perpetrator.

“What’s going on in there? What’s the unit doing?” Jinki felt hollow as he watched the creation back the male into a wall, while the rest of the group cowered in fear. “Is everything okay? The unit doesn’t seem stable, someone try to stabilize-”

A scream was somehow heard through the glass, and Jinki found his creation beating the scientist. His once almost bright eyes seemed dark now, as he repeatedly struck the man in front of him. He was yelling something out, something that Jinki desperately wished to understand.

The creator ran to the door of the room, furiously typing in the code to unlock it, and entered.

The man was on the floor now, wailing. Blood seeped from his nose, his face was bruised, and part of his lab coat was torn. M.I.N.H.O stood panting, looking wide-eyed at his creator.

“Lee Jinki,” he said softly, “why did you need to reboot me?”



Log Seven - December Fourteenth, 3:23 PM

After much decision, M.I.N.H.O will be powered down for the next few days. I have no idea what came over him in that lab room, but my colleagues were right- there’s no way to ensure that the unit will avoid any negative emotions.

I spoke to the injured male scientist- Mr. Yong Kim- and spoke to him about what happened. He told me that the unit was angered specifically at my words, and was triggered by the thought of being rebooted. He was screaming out how he was stable, that he was wonderful and special, that he was doing okay. Kim told me that M.I.N.H.O definitely seems to care about me and value my thoughts more than anyone else's. Apparently, after I left the observation station, he immediately stopped hurting him.

I’m glad that M.I.N.H.O values my opinion and cares for me, but he needs to treat me the same as everyone else. His whole purpose is to defy A.I stereotypes, and he can’t do that if he’s going to be violent to everyone except me.

I’ll resume logs once M.I.N.H.O is booted up again.



“Lee Jinki.”

Jinki stared back at his creation, his fingers still ghosting on the back of his neck after pushing the button. M.I.N.H.O’s eyes darted around the room, finding that they were no longer in the testing room, but in a warm, normal looking bedroom.

“We’re not in the testing room.” he mumbled. He found himself on a small, twin sized bed, that was neatly made with a few pillows at the end. There was a book shelf on the other side of the room, along with a desk and a computer.

The creator looked down and kneeled at M.I.N.H.O’s feet, resting his head on his thighs. “You hurt someone, Minho. You know that, right?”

The unit almost short circuited without the use of the acronym, but nodded in understanding. He hadn’t obeyed his orders.

“I had to power you off for a few days and think about what we were going to do next. And that’s where we are now.” the scientist continued. He slowly stood, gazing out the window over the bed, which actually showcased a landscape outside instead of a group of researchers.

“If you’re going to have human emotions, you need to be treated as such, no?” Jinki eyes fell to the floor, “I’m sorry I didn’t do that before, Minho. I was careless and only cared about research and knowledge. And while that does need to be apart of this situation, it shouldn’t be the only thing.”

M.I.N.H.O’s eyes began to sparkle once again.

“This will be your bedroom.” Jinki smiled, “There’ll be a few people in who come in each day, asking how you’re doing and feeling. You’ll get to know each of them very well, maybe even become friends with them.”

The android scratched at the comforter on the bed, “You’re a friend, right Lee Jinki?”

Jinki grinned and embraced him. “Yes. We’re friends, Minho.”

 


Log Twelve - January 2, 7:54 PM

I haven’t seen Minho every day, but I have seen him enough to know he’s doing a lot better. The human arrangement is doing much better, and he’s no longer on edge. He’s positive and human-like, asks questions, and just seems so much happier.

He’s not meant to hate others, and he’s reached that point.