01

Equivalent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayoung trips, the front of her sandals colliding with a step. Her coffee spills - it's okay, she never liked it much anyway - and she prepares for the pain to spread throughout her face as it hits cold pavement, but it never comes. Instead she's held up, by warm hands and a tight grip, pulled up by strong arms and amused lips.

She looks at the stranger who now has her in her arms, a smile playing on her thin lips. "You alright?" she asks, now looking at her with concern, until surprise paints her face and she looks around, seeing colour in tree trunks and old men's shorts and in the coffee this tall girl spilled.

"I...uh...are you," the stranger stutters, and it is then that Nayoung sees her eyes and colour on leaves and bushes and on this girl's skirt that she realizes the situation she's in.

"You're...you're my soulmate," Nayoung says, more of a question than a statement, and hears the girl laugh for the first time.

"Yeah, and you're mine, too." she states, making Nayoung blush at the other meaning behind her words. "I'm Jieqiong. Nice to finally meet you, I've been wondering what brown actually looks like. It's nice. Warm. Suits you perfectly."

She likes to ramble, Nayoung observes. "Im Nayoung, 22 years old, first time seeing green," she mutters, still in disbelief, the syllables of the colour still unfamiliar on her tongue. "Nice to meet you too."

Yeah, Nayoung thinks, this is nice. Trees are nice. Jieqiong's skirt is nice, pretty. Jieqiong's pretty.

"So would you like to go to a cafe with me or do you have something else to do?" Jieqiong eyes the older girl's uniform and the brown folder in Nayoung's hands, eyes still unfamiliar with the colour as she stares at it in admiration.

Nayoung's eyes wander to where Jieqiong's looking, and remembers that she had to be at work by - she checks her watch - 10 o'clock. It's 10:36; Nayoung chuckles. "Yeah, actually, but I'll just call in sick. I'm late anyway."

Jieqiong's eyes brighten up and Nayoung's never seen such a shade. Literally.

She claps her hands and grins widely, "it's a date then."

~

Nayoung has brown eyes and Jieqiong's are green. They complement each other well, like trees. Jieqiong likes trees, Nayoung finds out one day. 

"Used to climb a lot when I was young," she tells her. Jieqiong must like adventures and thrilling things.

Nayoung was the exact opposite. She liked to play it safe, living by rules and adapting to one routine daily. Maybe she should change that, now that Jieqiong's come into the picture.

~

"You really should consider living a little bit," Jieqiong tells her once, her hands under her shirt and burning her skin. Nayoung just nods, panting, and brings Jieqiong's face closer to hers. "Being with you is enough 'living' for me," she breathes out, capturing Jieqiong's lips with her own and tangling her fingers in her long hair, lips moving in a way that only Nayoung does. Jieqiong doesn't understand, but she's getting there.

It's okay, Jieqiong thinks, she gets Nayoung. Maybe a little. The girl doesn't speak much so she acts instead. She still doesn't get why Nayoung kisses with so much urgency, though. 

She likes it anyway, because Nayoung's a better kisser than anyone she's ever kissed before. She likes it anyway, because Nayoung is Nayoung and this girl has eyes so warm and deep that it basically drowns her. 

Nayoung does that thing with her teeth, taking Jieqiong's bottom lip in between, and swipes her tongue over it. Jieqiong sighs, replying to Nayoung's message with a flick of her fingers and kisses trailing down to her thighs.

She looks up once more and finds herself staring at deep brown eyes, ones she had found so unfamiliar yet inviting nearly a year before.

It's scary, how she'd been living without deep pools of brown all her life. She can't imagine a life without them now - without Nayoung. She thanks the universe for introducing her to Nayoung and this entire new colour that she'd only heard about; she thanks the universe, because Nayoung and brown are some of the best things she's ever had.

~

"It must be nice, seeing an entire new spectrum of colour," Eunwoo sighs, staring outside the window longingly. Nayoung takes a sip of her coffee and nods. Green's a really nice colour. It's warm, it's cold, it stares at her lovingly and sometimes gives her lust-filled glares. It was new, yes, but it made her feel at home, with matching slippers and hot chocolate on cold nights. Green was new, but it was home and so were Jieqiong's arms.

"I actually thought you'd be the last to meet your soulmate, Im," Minkyung confesses. She's with her friends at a cafe, the same one Jieqiong brought her to when they first met. Since then, she's never gone to another. This one was her favourite. "What with how you're such a workaholic and all. Who knew you'd be so head over heels for a high school student." They laugh, and Nayoung does, too. The universe can play weird tricks, but she's thankful nonetheless.

"I hope you all find your soulmates, too. Eunwoo, you can't see green too, right? And you, Minkyung, you can't see blue."

The two nod, eyes sullen and tired. "I want to see the sky so badly. It's making me go crazy." Minkyung sighs.

The bell to the entrance of the cafe rings, and a girl with long hair and golden ratios walks in. She and Minkyung lock eyes, each of them looking equally as shocked as the other. Nayoung and Eunwoo eye them carefully, having a slight idea of what just happened.

The tall girl continues walking to another table, ordering an espresso. Minkyung looks back at them, agape, as a small spark in her eyes is kindled.

"It's her."

Needless to say, Eunwoo sulked and the tall, pretty girl (who she later found out was named Kyungwon) and Minkyung left together that day.

~

"You know, I thought it'd get tiring." Nayoung says one day, fingers fiddling with the strings of Jieqiong's shorts. It's a lazy Sunday and the two of them are resting, relishing in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter