[Hotel] Policy

[The 7th Theory] Survival Writing Contest (Round 1 Begins!)

Prizes + Rules + Criteria

 

*Skip to RED for a shorter manual over how everything works

PRIZES: 

  • There are two winners in total. The first title goes to the winner of the final (7th) round, and the second title will be awarded to the best story out of all the 7 winning stories of the 7 respective rounds. 
  • The winner of the final round will win:
    • ​The karma points they have accumulated throughout the competition
    • AND... Pick ONE of the following:
      • ​An item of choice (The list will be up as it nears the end and includes: Kpop merch / Albums / Personalized Gifts, etc.)
      • Eggy Oyster "Totally Asian-Canadian" Surprise Care Package
      • An exclusive 1-month pass to Eggy Oyster Trailer Shop. (This enables you to request a maximum of 3 trailers, of which will be given top priority at any given time. Speed: 1 week per request)
      • NOTE: Please be aware that the first two options (item of choice / care package) requires the winner to provide a mailing address. If you are under 18, make sure you have your parent or guardian's permission.
  • The All-Star Best Story will win:
    • ​Pick ONE of the following:
      • ​100 karma points
      • An exclusive 1-month pass to Eggy Oyster Trailer Shop. (This enables you to request a maximum of 3 trailers, of which will be given top priority at any given time. Speed: 1 week per request)
      • Eggy Oyster "Totally Asian-Canadian" Surprise Care Package
      • NOTE: Please be aware that the last option (care package) requires the winner to provide a mailing address. If you are under 18, make sure you have your parent or guardian's permission.

 

RULES:

Please make sure you adhere to the following for each respective round:

  • Incorporate at least 1 quote from the trailer prompt into your story.
  • Utilize 1 scene from the trailer prompt as the core theme of your story.
  • The characters provided must be your main characters.
  • Word count is not a strict thing, but should be above 1000 words.
  • Include the trailer prompt in your foreword.
  • Include a reflection paragraph at the end of your story explaining your usage of the elements in the trailer prompt.

 

CRITERIA:

  • Title (5%) 
  • Plot (30%)
  • Word Choices (10%) 
  • Grammar (10%)
  • How closely you followed the rules (20%) 
  • Usage of imagery/symbols (5%)
  • Character developments (10%) 
  • BONUS #1: How faithful you are to the trailer prompt, in term of details (5%)
  • BONUS #2: Personal Enjoyment (5%) 
  • NOTE: Please indicate somewhere on your story page if you would like to recieve the fully marked criteria. Otherwise, only the final % will be presented. 

 

Still confused over how everything works? 

Here's a simple breakdown:

 

1. Subscribe is a must.

2. You have until Dec 20 to sign up. Do so by leaving a simple comment. MAKE SURE YOUR PROFILE PAGE IS PUBLIC.

3. Come back on Dec 20 and check "Lobby / Check-in" page to make sure that you have been registered as a participant.

4. ROUND 1 BEGINS on Dec 21 and everything you need to know about it will be updated on the "1st Floor" page. 

5. A certain number of contestants will be eliminated per round. 

6. NO NEW PARTICIPANTS will be admitted after Dec 20.

7. The victor of each round (up until the 6th round) has the following advantages:

  • Receives a hint of the 7th round
  • Receives Prize Karma Points. (**HOWEVER, those Karma Points can only be collected if they actually made it to and WIN the 7th round.)

8. No exceptions whatsoever will be made to the assigned deadline of each round. 

9. If we haven't stressed this enough, this is a "survival" type of writing contest, meaning, yes, we are aware that we're not giving you much freedom regarding the characters/pairings/genres/etc. Each round will face some sort of elimiations until we find the best of the best, and that could mean that you might be put under pressure to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone. So please make sure that you are also aware of this, because it would be a shame if you drop out in the middle.

10. Finally, scroll back to the top if you're curious over how many winners there will be and what kinds of prizes they will receive.