jongin, my love

Halfway To You

Little droplets of moisture roll down the window, each little drop mixing with others; together they join and form one big tear drop that falls and falls until it drips down to the ground below. People in suits and uniforms rush by in a haste with an umbrella over their heads, all of them blending together, and almost seeming similar as they cover themselves from the rain like if they’re are afraid of what it might do, or what it may ruin. A taxi honks outside of the quiet little café, the person behind the wheel is just a poor old man trying to get by and wishing that the person in front of them can move because he is in a hurry. Luck is not on his side today. It usually never is.
 

“Kyungsoo?” A voice says. “I’ve got a caramel frappuccino for, uh, Kyungsoo?”
 

Kyungsoo blinks and tears his gaze away from the window. Again, he lost himself in watching people and wondering how they get by in life, and what kind of jobs they have. Are they married, do they have any children? Do they have a warm bed to sleep in at night like he does?
 

“Is there a Kyungsoo here?”
 

Kyungsoo shakes his head and scrambles out of his chair, nearly tripping over his untied shoelaces and rushes up to the counter. How does he get the barista's attention without stuttering and making a fool of himself? Kyungsoo chews the inside of his cheek and raises his hand like if he were to still be in school. “Uh, I-I’m Kyungsoo.” Okay, so he stuttered a bit. It’s okay, though because no one is laughing this time. No, not this time.
 

The man behind the counter smiles warmly at Kyungsoo. His name tag says, Hello, my name is Minseok. Kyungsoo blinks and bites his lower lip. Kyungsoo’s eyes are wide when he brings his hand back down and lets it dangle beside him. 
 

The barista, Minseok, hands over the cold drink to Kyungsoo. “Here you go, enjoy it.”
 

Kyungsoo nods his head and reaches out to grab the drink, careful as to not let it slip and make a mess. 
 

“Come back soon!”
 

Kyungsoo sends the male a little nod and walks towards the exit. The windows are still foggy, but at least it has stopped raining. When Kyungsoo steps out of the warm, cozy cafe he releases a breath he didn’t know he was holding and makes his way into the swarm of people, soon he blends in with everyone else. His eyes move slowly from person to person, and again he thinks about how they get by in life. Kyungsoo takes a small sip of the drink in his hand, his taste buds moan at the sweet substance that splashes against his tongue. Not too sweet and not too bitter. Just the way Kyungsoo likes it. 
 

The streets are filled with all types of people, rich and poor, big and small. Kyungsoo places himself in between rich and poor category, along with being small as well. Kyungsoo isn’t really all that, or so he thinks. He was never as tall as his classmates. Kyungsoo is made up of pale skin, big eyes, and rosy lips that form a heart when he smiles. He’s got a mop of fiery red hair that goes well with his pale skin, or so people have told him, Kim Jongin, to be exact. A little smirk forms at the corner of his lips, and now he looks crazy. Kyungsoo doesn’t care, though. 

 

The little bell rings atop of the door when Kyungsoo pushes it open. It smells like fresh ink and old books. Something Kyungsoo finds comfort in. He takes in a deep breath and greets the male behind the counter with a low murmur of, hey Baek, before Kyungsoo disappears behind the bookshelf, and this is where Kyungsoo drowns himself in dozens of fantasy novels. And he thinks about how cool it must have been to be able to ride dragons and fight evil. But sometimes Kyungsoo finds that he tends to lean more towards romantic books. Some make him shed a couple of tears and others have him laughing in joy, but sometimes Kyungsoo sits in the corner with his back against the shelf and wonders if he will ever have a prince that will sweep him off his feet, and together they will ride off into the sunset and live a happily ever after. 
 

Kyungsoo laughs to himself because he already has a prince. A prince that is dancing away in the studio, twirling around in circles and laughing about it. Kyungsoo can’t wait to see him.
 

“Hey, Kyungsoo. What’cha reading?” Baekhyun, the boy from behind the counter, asks. 
 

Kyungsoo startles at the sudden company but quickly relaxes when he sees who it is. Baekhyun is nice and a really good friend of Kyungsoo. They have known each other for years, being best friends since pre-school really helped Kyungsoo make other friends during his high school and college years. With Baekhyun around, he also met Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s boyfriend and then the two males introduced Kyungsoo to Kim Jongin, a dance major. It was love at first sight for Kyungsoo. He couldn’t get over how handsome Jongin was and how tall he looked next to him. Kyungsoo was in awe at the perfect being that stood in front of him. How could someone look so beautiful? Kim Jongin, Kyungsoo repeated it like a prayer until it was the only thing he thought about. He would watch Jongin from afar and wish that it was him that Jongin was laughing with. That it was him that Jongin was walking with. Kyungsoo thought that watching Jongin from behind the door of his locker and sometimes behind the trees was a little odd. He developed a crush on a boy that he had only spoken to once. Kyungsoo remembers now, how he stood still and couldn’t utter a single word without stuttering. But Jongin didn’t laugh at him, he smiled instead and started telling Kyungsoo about his three dogs and how they’re really cute and he should meet them one day, that they would love to have someone new to play with.
 

“—soo? Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. Of course, Kyungsoo would get lost in his thoughts, and in front of him too. Wow, rude. He pinches Kyungsoo’s arms and the red head yelps.
 

“Ow! God, Baekhyun! What the hell?” Kyungsoo hisses as he rubs the sore spot on his arm. That really hurt.
 

Baekhyun crosses his arms and scoffs. “What do you mean what the hell? You were spacing out again! Thinking about your lover boy, huh Soo? Can’t get enough of that piece of fine chocolate?”
 

Kyungsoo blushes and turns away from his friend. “N-No! I wasn’t thinking about Jongin,” he grumbles to himself when Baekhyun snorts and laughs. “Shut up, Baekhyun.” But the older male continues to laugh anyways. “And would you look at that,” Baekhyun says with a smug smile.
 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what his stupid friend is talking about. He knows he shouldn’t partake in this, but he does so anyway. “Look at what?”
 

Kyungsoo backs away when Baekhyun leans in awfully close. “Little Kyungsoo is blushing. I can’t believe it.” Kyungsoo sputters and his face flushes again. “I’m not blushing you, idiot!”
 

A flash momentarily blinds Kyungsoo and he blinks a couple of times to get rid of the flashing dots. He can hear Baekhyun cracking up a few feet away from where he is sitting. It’s then that Kyungsoo realizes that Baekhyun has taken a picture of him, and Kyungsoo stares at the ground and looks at the forgotten book beside him. For a moment, Kyungsoo forgets all about his stupid friend and what he must be doing with his picture, he forgets about his surroundings and focuses his gaze on the black book that sits in the corner of the shelf. A layer of dust has placed itself upon it and Kyungsoo sweeps it away with his fingers. He examines the book, pressing against the leather material and liking the way it feels against the pads of his fingers. There is nothing written in the back of the book, and when Kyungsoo turns it around it is also blank in the front. Must be a journal, Kyungsoo thought. The book proves Kyungsoo right, because yes it is a journal but with short stories written in different styles of writing. 
 

Kyungsoo skims through each page, reading, and barely understanding. Kyungsoo is careful as to not tear any of the pages and he comes to a stop on the last page and just as he is about to shut the book, a certain name signed on the bottom catches his attention. It is now that Kyungsoo understands, and he smiles, and tears form in his eyes and the next thing he knows, Kyungsoo is sobbing hard into the cover of the little black book. He’s not crying because he is sad, no. Kyungsoo cries because every short story is about him. 
 

Kyungsoo smiles through his tears and clutches the book to his chest, holding it tight. He collects himself and gets up from the ground. Kyungsoo laughs to himself as he rounds the corner and walks up to Baekhyun. The pink haired male looks up from the computer and opens his mouth, but then his eyebrows furrow in concern. “Were you crying, Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun gets up from his chair and steps out from behind the desk.
 

Kyungsoo gives the other male half of a smile.  “Yeah, but nothing happened. I’d like to have this book, please.”
 

Baekhyun stares at Kyungsoo for a moment longer before asking for the book so he can scan it. Baekhyun looks down at the little black book and smiles at the sight. “Jongin left this book here three years ago, and every time I called him to come get it he always said the same thing. It’s for Kyungsoo hyung. He’ll find it when the time is right and he will know.” Baekhyun types a few things into the computer and then he’s putting the book in a bag and handing it over to Kyungsoo.
 

Kyungsoo takes it with a smile. “Thanks, Baek, but I won’t be returning this anytime soon.”
 

“Of course. It is for you after all.”
 

After they say their goodbyes and promises of meeting up with Chanyeol and Jongin, Kyungsoo takes his leave and walks out of the quiet library with a little bounce in his step. He smiles as he walks through the damp streets, watching as people walk by him with their closed umbrellas and suitcases in their hands. Kyungsoo doesn’t think about how they get by in life. Instead, Kyungsoo thinks about almond shaped eyes and golden caramel skin. He thinks about pearly white teeth that shine in the sun and a smile that makes his knees weak. Kyungsoo thinks about a tall lean figure with strong arms that wrap around him and keeps him safe. A deep voice that sends shivers down his spine. Kyungsoo thinks of Kim Jongin. 
 

His steps are hurried now that the dance studio comes into his sight. Kyungsoo wets his lips as he climbs up the stairs and heads straight into the building, walking past different people and murmuring small hellos. Kyungsoo hurries through the hallways, he needs to see Jongin. Kyungsoo can’t wait any longer. A door shuts a few feet away and Kyungsoo turns his head towards the sound. A familiar voice reaches his ears and he follows it. Kyungsoo knows that Jongin close, he can feel it. 
 

He reaches a door and he doesn’t stop to knock on it. Kyungsoo doesn’t have any need to do so. The door opens and Kyungsoo finds Jongin standing next to the floor to ceiling mirrors conversing with his friends. Kyungsoo is in awe again. How can Jongin look so beautiful? He’s not doing anything, yet Kyungsoo still finds him to be endearing. So beautiful.
 

The conversation is put on hold when Jongin turns his head to the sound of the door opening. His eyes light up when he sees Kyungsoo standing at the door.
 

“Jongin..” Something inside of Kyungsoo breaks. It isn’t his heart. It’s something else. Kyungsoo holds the bag close to him and runs towards Jongin, and he wraps his arms around the taller’s waist and begins to sob. Jongin sends his friends a few nods and soon they are left alone. Jongin holds the crying male close to him and leads him towards the couches in the far corner. Jongin sits Kyungsoo on his lap and comforts him until he is ready to talk. “What happened, why are you crying?” Jongin soothes his boyfriend and his back with gentle touches.
 

Kyungsoo sniffles and looks up at Jongin with a wobbly smile. “I-I went to the library today.” He clears his throat and wipes away his tears. 
 

Jongin slides his fingers through Kyungsoo’s maroon hair and gently massages his scalp. “Is that why you’re crying, hyung?” Jongin smiles and presses a little peck on Kyungsoo’s forehead. “Were you reading another fantasy book?” Jongin chuckles when Kyungsoo blushes and swats his hand away. 
 

“Yes, but that’s not it, Jongin-ah.” Kyungsoo reaches for the plastic bag and carefully pulls out the little black book and places it on Jongin’s lap. “I found this book in the library today. It’s - I didn’t read it, but I skimmed through the pages a-and Jongin..” Kyungsoo pauses. “Everything written in this book is about me. How - When did you write this? We were always together.” Kyungsoo chews on his bottom lip as he wonders.
 

Jongin leans in and bumps their noses together. “I’ve been writing in it since we first met, hyung. Do you remember? You looked like you were in shock until you snapped out of it, and you looked surprised at my reaction when I smiled. Why?”
 

Kyungsoo lies back and rests his body against Jongin’s chest. “I was in awe Jongin. You looked so beautiful standing in front of me like some godly being. I didn’t want to stutter and have you laugh at me because of it. So I didn’t say anything.”
 

“You watched me from afar, hyung.”
 

“Not because I was being a creep, but because I was gathering up some courage to actually go up and talk to you. It made me crazy when you talked and laughed with other people, and I could only watch and wish that it was me causing you to smile.”
 

“Hyung. What did the last paragraph of the book say? Can you read it to me?” Jongin asks in a soft voice, gently prying Kyungsoo off of him to get the book.
 

Kyungsoo sits up and gives Jongin a look of confusion. “Why?”
 

Jongin gaze is tender when he looks into Kyungsoo’s eyes. Kyungsoo needs to know what the ending says. It’s important for him to know. He grabs Kyungsoo’s hand and kisses the inside of his wrist. “Just read it to me, hyung.”
 

Kyungsoo’s stomach is fluttering with dozens of butterflies, his cheeks are a rosy red and it’s spreading up to his ears and down his neck. He hums softly and opens the book, flipping the pages until he reaches the end. Kyungsoo looks up at Jongin with wide eyes. “Should I start from the beginning?”
 

“Start from the middle. What does it say?” Jongin continues to play with the soft strands that sit atop of Kyungsoo’s head. So soft and silky.
 

Kyungsoo’s eyes move down the page until he comes to stop at the last paragraph. He skips the first few sentences like Jongin instructed him to do and finally parts his lips when he reaches the middle. Kyungsoo murmurs a few words under his breath, “'—boy that sits underneath the oak tree with red hair that shines under the sun like fire. He looks so fragile and shy. He reminds me of a flower that is blooming in Spring, get too close to it and it will go back into hiding. I asked my friends for the name of the boy with red hair. They told me his name was Do Kyungsoo. I’m in love with you..'” Kyungsoo trails off and Jongin nudges him to continue. 
 

“Read the last few lines, hyung. What does it say?”
 

Kyungsoo’s bottom lip wobbles when he reads the last few lines. “It says, 'Gentle light rains down upon his face, causing his skin to glow almost like he has a halo around his head. An angel with no wings. He looks so peaceful and serene like still waters. His eyes are what captures me. They’re so beautiful, so expressive, but also really guarded.  How can I reach out to him? Do Kyungsoo, I’ll always be halfway to you'.”
 

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what Jongin’s trying to say. “What do you mean by that, Jongin?”
 

The noise has died down in the halls, people have left and the sun is beginning to set. Oranges and yellows are now turning into soft pinks and purples until the sky grows darker and the stars make their appearance. The lights are bright in the studio, but not enough to blind. Jongin moves from his spot and envelopes Kyungsoo in a warm embrace, intertwining their fingers together and placing soft kisses upon Kyungsoo’s cheek. “It means that even though you watched me from a distance, I was always halfway from you like you were to me.”
 

“I don’t understand, Jongin-ah.”
 

Jongin noses along the side of Kyungsoo’s neck and presses a kiss behind his ear. “We met halfway, Kyungsoo.”
 

Kyungsoo sighs softly and shivers in Jongin’s arms. “Halfway to you..”
 

Jongin continues to kiss along the expanse of Kyungsoo’s neck. “We both met each other halfway and starting dating during the middle, and now, this is our end.”
 

Kyungsoo turns his head and cups Jongin’s cheek. He smiles. Kyungsoo loves Jongin with everything he has. Jongin, my love.
 

Jongin brushes his lips against Kyungsoo’s in a gentle kiss. “This is where we have our happily ever after.”