Chapter 1

Sea

Since a very young age,Hyungwon always had a frail and skinny figure which is why he had never got himself involved in any type of sports. He tried to join basketball in elementary school before with his long legs and tall figure,but his stamina never brought him to half of the play time.

Quitting basketball,he tried indoor sports and games. Playing chess was too confusing and making his sleepy-self more tired than he usually was. So indoor games are out of his list. Then his mother recommended running in middle school,which went pretty well for him. The running coach were a kind middle aged man who had always patiently trained Hyungwon and gradually from that,he is getting quite good at controlling his stamina. With the help of his running coach,he also started to try other 'light' daily exercise that he can do like cycling,jogging and swimming.

Every morning,he would try to jog around the small town he lives in. Hyungwon really likes the air around his town,it was chilly but comforting at the same time. His town is situated far away from Seoul which is 2 hours away with a car. His father had only brought him twice to Seoul when he was still in elementary school. He was so skinny back then,like a 'walking bamboo stick' as his friend said once. He is still skinny now but he had build more muscle around his abdomen and legs,thanks to all the running.

On spare time,he would take his bicycle to a nearby indoor swimming pool which his running coach runs with his older brother. It is the only swimming pool they have in the town other than the sea.(to swim i mean)

Mostly kids go there,learning how to swim with the swimming class they have. Hyungwon goes there just because he likes to swim in his free time and how the water just makes his mind calm.

Visitors are required to pay a few wons per entry but the coach knows him very well,with that he gave a key for the whole swimming pool. Hyungwon was grateful for that since he really likes to go swimming at night where the water sparkles under the twinkling stars. It was almost magical in his eyes.

Hyungwon's life was nearly perfect when suddenly everything came crashing down on him in his senior year in middle school. In a few weeks,school will end. With that,everyone begins to search for high schools for their childrens to study in since there are no high schools in their town.

Most of the students would immediately find a job around the town,some moves out of town and enters high schools in the city. For Hyungwon,he just can't decide yet. He was willing to work with his parents at the dumpling store they owned but he wants to finish his studies. Moving out of town is worse since he will be leaving his parents behind. Hyungwon just sighs sadly at the thoughts that has been wandering on his mind for days now.

"you could just work here won"

his brother says while stuffing rice in his mouth. His older brother,Chae Seok Jin is currently closing his cafe for two weeks which he owned a few years ago and decide to visit his home.

Hyungwon pokes at his dinner with an unamused face,"b-but i want to finish my--"

"yea yea your studies i get it"

Hyungwon glares at Seok Jin for interrupting his words.

"well,i can register you in a high school at Seoul dear"

his mother said while putting a piece of fried fish on his plate. "leaving you guys behind is not the best thing to do mom" he whines while chewing some broccoli in his mouth,it was a bit bland to Hyungwon.

Mom must have forgotten about the salt again.

"don't worry about us son,you should really study in Seoul,besides,we are not going anywhere" His father who was sitting beside him,pats his back softly.

"yeah,you can always go home with me once in a while an driving here wouldn't be so boring anymore,you know" Seok jin chirped before asking politely for more rice from his mother. Hyungwon quietly hummed at that.

No wonder he is getting fatter.

Suddenly,he notices how his mother's face lit up like an idea just popped out in her head. "Hey Won-ah,what about the school Coach Kim was offering you into?what was that about?" his mother says happily while pointing at him with her chopsticks. "Yeah about that school Kim was talking about",his father joined. Hyungwon mentally sighs at them.

It happened just recently when he was taking his swim,that was when his running coach,Mr Kim talked to him about a sports high school where his close friend is qurrently teaching in at Seoul. Coach Kim said how Hyungwon swims quiet good and if he is interested,coach Kim would help and recommends him to that school. His coach also mentioned about the school being fully equipped with sports facilities and about the school being a private international school.

"He said it was Yongsan? International high.."

A gasp was heard after Hyungwon said it.

"that is a private school!!" Seok Jin said with everyone's attention on him. "you know that school son?" Seok Jin nods frantically at that.

"Yongsan international high is a private school,not that far from my cafe,heard that Yongsan High are attended by foreigners and everything!!quite pricey for a school"

Hyungwon literally cringed at how Seok Jin's eyes are comically wide while about that school like it was heaven. "how much are the fees dear?" His mother is smiling which means bad news for Hyungwon.

"it is quite expensive mom,thousands and thousands of Wons since the school doesn't even look like a school,it looks more like a university or somethin''

His mother nods at that then moved her gaze towards her husband who is quietly munching on his food. " i think it wouldn't be bad to send our Won-nie to that school isn't it honey?" with that said,Hyungwon stares at his parents in horror.

No way they could send me to such school!! We can't afford those kind of !!

But surprisingly,his father nods at his mother with a suggestive emotion on his face.

"it is a good idea,i think i could pay for that since it is the best for our son's future"

"b-but--but dad,we can't afford that--i mean-i can go to a normal high school!"


"who says i can't afford such thing son? Although your mother and I only own a dumpling store,but business was good ever since we started it. I mananged to buy a car for your older brother,paid it with cash!! You know cash? So why can't we afford to pay for that school"

Seok jin and Hyungwon cringed at how their father emphasised the word 'cash'. It is true though. About what his father had said. Although they only runs a dumpling store,the business started quite good since tgeir dumplings is 'the best' in town. Even customers came from the city just to eat their dumplings. His father even bought a brand new Honda for his brother when he started to have his own business. Hyungwon can't say that they were super rich but they have enough to buy necessary stuffs. They were like the 'middle' class family.

But Hyungwon would feel very guilty every time his parents spend money on him. Especially on things like this. I could always apply to a normal school. Hyungwon sighs for the umpteenth time now while his fingers slowly scrubs the dishes. Dinner was quite 'hectic' for Hyungwon today when everyone kept pestering him into Yongsan International High.

After a few arguments with his parents,he eventually gave up an agreed to apply himself for Yongsan.

Later that night,Hyungwon stuffs his goggles and swimming suits into his small duffle bag and head straight towards the town's swimming pool. He really needed something to take his mind off the 'high school issue' that happened a few moments ago. Once he reached the swimming pool,he was surprised to find the lamps in the building are still on.

Hmm?Someone's here?

Walking slowly towards the glass door,he notices the back of a man behind the counter. It looks fairly familiar to him.

"Songsaengnim?" (coach/teacher/someone you respect)

"Ah Hyungwon-ah,came here to have some late night swim again?"

Mr.Kim smiles with wrinkles gathered around his eyes.

"y-yeah..why are you here though,Songsaengnim?it's quite late"

Fidgeting his fingers around his jacket,Hyungwon came closer to the counter. This is the second time Hyungwon has 'encountered' his coach this late at night. The first time was when his coach wanted to check on the pool.

"oh i just forgot to print some files and needed a printer,since the one at home broke" His coach sighs tiredly,moving his gaze towards the printer they have there at the counter.

After a few minutes of small talks,Hyungwon started to slowly walk towards the glass door that divided the indoor swimming pool with the front of the office. But his steps halted after remembering about Yongsan International High.

"o-oh mr kim?about the high school stuff,I decided of going..there.." Hyungwon released the breath that he had been holding.

Immediately,his coach is infront of him with a wide smile on his face. "Good choice there boy! I'll tell ny friend and get some papers for your parents to look at okay?"

"oh-oh..kay...thanks Mr.Kim,ha-have a good night.." with that,Hyungwon quickly shuffles his soles towards the swimming pool.

He suddenly didn't feel like swimming anymore.

Hyungwon just stares at the water that reflected the moonlight that came through from the glass ceiling.

For the rest of the time he was at the swimming pool,he just sits quietly on a bench and stares at the water.

 

'high school year is going to be a long year'

 

 


Hye there!so this is here is chap 1.

School started a few days ago and im in my first senior year in high school (if you are from malaysia,u should know the term 'Form 4 or Tingkatan 4) im dying help sobs

Im making Jin from BTS as Hyungwon's older brother here,there will be other idols in this fic mainly Seventeen ohoks

Happy New Year to you guys btw,wishing you a great 2017<3