1/1

conventional

 

 

Taemin stumbled upon a question that bothered him the whole week. The question somehow weighed him in each and every day, making it hard for him to sleep peacefully lately.

His younger cousin, Jongin, had asked him about his love life. It surely took him aback. When Taemin said had a lover, Jongin gasped at him. His cousin thought that he didn’t have one, because he was a plain guy, who always stuck in his own world. Who was Taemin to deny the ugly fact? And he did admit that his love life was not interesting, unlike Jongin’s love life that was full of excitement.

“Why is your love life so boring? Is there any memorable moment these past years?”

That question shut him right away. He thought about it really hard, however, the answer was a no; nothing except their first , which Jongin strongly rejected to count. Taemin felt his pride was a bit torn with that, so he started to think that maybe it was Jongin’s love story that was unusual and dramatic.

Or maybe it was his story that was lack of originality. Taemin was definitely shaken by his own thought.

 

Taemin met Minho in high school. It wasn’t a heroic first meeting, unlike those movies where he would bump and fell in love at the first sight, or he was saved from a fight in some dark alley. Don’t bother to ask him when it all begin, because he didn’t even remember how they met or how they befriended each other. Minho wasn’t the prince charming or the rich kid, and he certainly wasn’t a princess that needed to be saved by the prince. They both were just the typical high school students.

Talking with Jongin about their old days made him realised a lot of things; that they were a super boring couple (courtesy of Jongin), that Taemin was super lacking in the romantic side, and that he loved Minho nonetheless. He silently smiled recognising that he and Minho shared same interest and classes back then, their mothers were church friends, they had mutual annoying friends who claimed to be their cupid– for they did end up together after being pushed around for few months by them. He was thankful though, because being with plain Minho was the best match he had so far.

Taemin also realised that they never really celebrate their anniversary in a fancy way; Minho never brought him flowers or did something to surprise him until he would cry from being emotional. All they ever did was a movie date, strolling in the park, or out for dinner. Sharing a simple hugs to tight hugs, kisses, and happened only after their fourteenth month to their relationship, because they couldn’t handle the teenage hormones any longer; plus the prom suits really did the wonder. Although Jongin still insisted that first wasn’t count.

The only thing that made his cousin nodded was when he said that he moved in with Minho. Yes, they lived together. Only not in that serious way. They were calculating their respective expenditures before both agreed that sharing the rent of one cheap apartment would help save a lot of money, so they told their parents the brilliant idea.

Honestly, his love life wasn’t all suave. Fight was inevitable in so many ways. Yet that was completely normal, because everybody had their own principles and opinions about things. But no matter how big or small the fights, they still never had the reason to leave one another. Over those years of college, until now after they graduated and worked, they remained unchanged, still the typical high school sweethearts and lovers.

He wasn’t being ungrateful, he just a bit bothered (or a lot) by the idea of being typical. He wanted to be like Jongin, who could tell something from his love story and be proud of it. Taemin wanted to tell people how Minho had made him fall in love at the first sight or when Minho prepared a sweet event to confess, not about how they casually agreed to date when they were out for lunch at the everyday burger joint.

Taemin wasn’t unhappy. The black haired guy only wondered what it would be like to have an interesting, original story that he could warmly share with his family, his kids and his grandkids one day in the future. With what had happened until now, he was sure he could tell nothing.

He wished that their relationship was more interesting.

 

 

“Minho, have you ever wished that we were less boring?”

Minho’s eyebrows met in the middle as he felt the shorter male tightened their clasping hands. Taemin swung their arms and realised at how beautiful Minho with his simple black shirt and washed out jeans, but he didn’t dare looking after throwing out that question.

“What do you mean?” Minho scrunched his eyes, squeezing back the smaller hand to get further explanation, but Taemin remained silent.

“We went to that arcade downtown just yesterday, went to drink with Jonghyun and Key on the weekend, we drove to the beach and mount climbing just recently. I don’t see we’re doing boring things.”

Taemin sighed; Minho definitely didn’t understand him at all.

“I’m trying to say that we are a boring couple. Not our daily lives, it was okay. I mean us, in the bigger perspective; the relationship between us. Compare to the other couples, don’t you ever wish that we’re less boring? Less conventional?”

Minho sighed at this, he knew something was wrong with his boyfriend, but he didn’t know it was about this. He leaned closer to Taemin as he combed his fingers through the silky hair.

“What do you suggest? A spontaneous adventure? Kill bad people, steal from convenience store, or rob someone’s house?”

“Not that, idiot!” Taemin ran through his hair, messing up what Minho been trying to straighten for the past minutes. “Romantically, hyung, romantically. Like something that is more likely to be featured in a novel or drama or romantic movie.”

“What?”

“We didn’t fall in love at the first sight, like what would happen in the movie. We fell in love through a long process, through push and pull game plotted by our friends. You’re not the rich, handsome kid and I’m not the poor, weak guy you need to protect. We’re not what I always imagine a fairy tale would be,” Taemin explained desperately. “We’re far from what I ever dreamt about.”

“So you’re saying that you...” Minho trailed off.

“No, I swear, I didn’t regret falling in love with you. You have to note that. It’s just, I sort of wished it happened differently, more excitingly. I want to tell everyone that Lee Taemin and Choi Minho’s love story is something that you should envy for. Like that. You got me?”

Minho took both Taemin’s hands and held it tightly, looking at the shorter deeply in the eyes with sincerity, “But you always excite me.”

Taemin immediately pouted. Well, he knew that he couldn’t change how they met before, he surely couldn’t change anything between them at all, but he tried. Taemin tried. Taemin said what bothered him the most, that they were very ordinary and plain and yet boring. And his disappointment clearly evidence on his face. Minho couldn’t give him what he wanted; Minho was bad at this too, just like him. They were really, truly bad at this, bad at being romantic and sappy.

The awkward atmosphere was almost tangible between the two. They weren’t holding hands anymore and Taemin only looked down on his feet, meanwhile Minho walked one step behind him, watching the younger’s sad back.

Through a lot of thinking on Minho’s side, he finally decided. He stopped Taemin’s track and held his shoulders with a strong but reassuring grip. He sighed after seeing Taemin’s eyebrows knitted together. He gave in, because he swore that Taemin’s sad face was the last thing he wanted to see.

“Run.”

“Huh?” His shorter boyfriend stared up at him questioningly, almost pleading.

“Run ahead and pretend to fall down.”

Taemin was being turned around by Minho, was pushed forward in another second. He looked back, just over the shoulder to see what Minho trying to do, but he was forced to the pointed tree not far from them, still had no idea why he had to fall down. It didn’t make any sense at all. Was this Minho’s way to cheer him up or what? Nonetheless, he followed Minho’s lead and played along.

“Make sure you don’t fall too far from that tree, don’t hurt yourself too, and now go.”

Taemin took another glance behind, watching how Minho went another way rather lazily. He could see Minho few metres away from him, motioning him to fall down, which he stupidly did. Taemin dropped himself to the ground and observed his surrounding, passer-by was looking at him weirdly and they started whispering. It was rather embarrassing, because why would you sat on the dirty ground when not far from the tree, there was a clean bench waiting. However, Taemin was more concerned about why and what his boyfriend up to.

He watch Minho stood for a moment, even from far he could see the lazy smile Minho had right now. At times like this, Taemin noticed how handsome Minho was, also grateful that someone as handsome as Minho belonged to him. Then the elder was off, he started walking slowly, hair tossed by the wind and his face changed into something else, a serious face was put on.

Minho fastened his steps, he was running, running towards him and stopped right in front of him with a worried face. People were staring, moreover when Minho knelt upon him, faked panting, and wiped his invisible sweat.

“Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?” He asked with a slight panic, hands holding onto his upper arms while his eyes examined Taemin’s face and extremities.

“What? You are the one who asked me to fall down–”

“Oh God, look at your elbow! You’re bleeding!” Minho took out his handkerchief, pulling Taemin so close to him until he could smell the cologne his boyfriend sprayed on his shirt earlier, and wiped his elbow. Did Minho blind or having a visual hallucination because he was sure there was no blood, no scratch or even dust on his elbow, because he didn’t fall for real.

“We need to stop the bleeding and get your elbow disinfected. Let me help you, or else you might die from an infection,” Minho muttered rather loudly and dramatically.

It was rather entertaining. When he faked a pained expression, Minho asked if he was okay or he was hurt somewhere else. It took some time for him to be able to understand why Minho was glancing at his left ankle. He hesitantly touched his ankle and the response was funnier.

“Oh my, you sprained your ankle too?” Minho pouted, “Why would you climb up the tree if you don’t know how to climb down? It’s very dangerous when you jump like that.”

Taemin wanted to laugh at how serious this turned out to be. He didn’t know Minho would be overly dramatic, because Minho wasn’t the type who could express his emotions well and of course, this felt so weird.

“I’d be thankful if you could help me,” Taemin played along with the act, since this was his request. He tried to stand but he whimpered in pain, stumbled to Minho for his own entertainment and Minho’s expression was priceless.

“Worry no more, pretty eyes, just hold onto me,” Minho scooped Taemin up and it was so damn embarrassing; he even shrieked, gathering everyone’s attention to them. Taemin hid his face on Minho’s chest because of the unwanted eyes. He’s an adult; he didn’t see the reason why he had to be carried bridal style to the bench. He wanted to curse at Minho, really. Although he didn’t really dislike it, in fact, it made his heart flutter and cheeks hot.

Minho gently put him down on the bench, asking him to wait and to not move because it could make his sprained ankle worse. The elder retrieved wet tissue from Taemin’s bag and wiped his elbow, whispering that they had to pretend that there was an antiseptic on it. Taemin had to bite his lips to stop himself from laughing.

“You’re lucky I found you at the right time,” Minho started his dialogue again. “Look at this, look at you, all bloody and hurt. What if I didn’t pass by here? Who would help you?”

“Well, I somehow believe that someone would help me,” the younger one replied with a tone that usually used by a classy prince in a fairy tale. “Fate has its own plan.”

The elder looked up to Taemin and rounded his eyes, their eyes met and it was just like in the movie where the heroines fell in love with each other. If Taemin could explain his feeling right now, it would be giddy, fluttery, nervous, and all those weird things that a writer would write in their novel. The way Minho looked at him was weird, he couldn’t help being bashful and looked away with a deep shade of pink.

“I’m sorry,” Minho cleared his throat.

“What for?”

“For staring too long, you’re–” he paused, “you’re so handsome, yet pretty, and I– I couldn’t help myself from looking. I’m really sorry.”

Taemin felt Minho wrapped a tie he found in his pocket around his ankle and shyly patted it. “There you are. It’s an honour to be able to save you.”

Now he really understood what Minho was up to all along. He could not help from smiling, cheek bones hurt from trying hard not to laugh. He was somehow felt warm and didn’t know why he felt so touched by this stupid act. Yet he was thankful for that too.

“Thank you so much, sire,” he touched the navy blue tie around his ankle, smiled ever so gently, and whispered, “if you let me, how would you like me to repay your kindness?”

Their eyes met again, and Minho decided to sit closely to his boyfriend. He playfully pondered with a small hum. As if he got the light bulb in his head , Minho’s face lit up. From the exaggerated expression of Minho, Taemin was thankful that Minho wasn’t into acting career, because he would be weird (not that Minho was bad at it, he was good).

He saw Minho’s eyes staring at his face and a soft smile put up on his handsome face, “Your name. I want to know your name.”

Taemin swore that his heart stopped for a while with how low and hesitant Minho’s voice was. It reminded him of time when he and Minho went out for lunch at the burger joint, they were sitting next to each other, Minho was a bit restless at that time. When he opened up, his voice cracked a bit before he asked Taemin, “Would you like to go out with me? Like out, to date.”

It was somehow stupid for Taemin to be in tears, but the stupid glands worked a bit too much so he started to get teary. Seeing how Minho looked at him with real worry right now made him wanted to hug the elder and cry.

“Taemin,” he tried not to choke.

“I’m Minho,” he took Taemin’s hand and shook it with a little squeeze of reassurance, “I believe we will meet again, and for a long time.”

He finally laughed, he pulled Minho into a hug because this was just so embarrassing. He was on the verge of crying, for God’s sake! They were too old for stupid jokes like this, and Minho was definitely an idiot although Taemin was so touched by this.

“God, I love you,” Taemin cupped Minho’s face and pulled him into a kiss.

“Oh wow, so you’re the type that would kiss a man you just know?” Minho gasped.

“Shut it, hyung.”

Taemin felt a giggle over his mouth, followed by soft lips that he knew so well kissing him back with as much love. One thing he had learned today; that a dramatic love story wasn’t their cup of tea.

Being with plain Minho, having a plain relationship, and being a conventional couple suited him best. Not that he loathed the excessive attention from Minho, it’s just a bit tiring showing the emotions he felt.

And to think about it, his relationship with Minho wasn’t that typical. They were unique in their own way.

“You’re right, hyung,” he smiled as they ended the chaste kiss.

“What right?”

“You excite me.”

Minho laughed and interlaced their fingers as they walked back to their shared apartment. The younger clung onto Minho’s arm – which was rare, while Minho carefully patted his head. Taemin’s heart swelled at that. He didn’t care if Jongin would say that they’re a boring couple. All that he cared was how Minho filled his days perfectly, he did excite him with just being there for Taemin and silently supporting him. Plus, they were old already, romantic and sappy were not that important; comfort was.

“I prefer the way we are. It felt just right.”

 

 

 


Hello~ how are you guys? It's been a while, huh? I hope you haven't forgotten about me, hihi. I am pre-occupied with real life currently and barely have time to write. But you have to know that I still read fics sometimes and still writing drafts whenever I get an inspiration (although I don't have time to develop them). Also, I'd like to thank all of you for subscribing^^ comments are very welcome, upvotes are aprreciated. Thank you for spending your time reading my fics! I hope you enjoy your life~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHOI MINHO!! HAVE A BLAST YEAR AHEAD! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY FOREVER BIAS~

with love,

aqcelnicorus :D