Day 1

Excercises

Random Line:

Spare some change please?

 

“Spare some change please?” the exhausted looking beggar girl asked a man as he walked past without giving her a dime. She had asked every passing person. Most would walk past without giving her a glance, other would give her looks of disdain. After hours, she was only able to collect $1.75 so far and it was already evening. She wouldn’t be able to eat today.

With a tired sigh, she stood tossing up from the tiny stool she had found a couple weeks ago, tossing her grimy, brown hair over her shoulder before collecting everything she had. It was only the stool, the cup she used for collecting money, and a sketch pad and pencil she was gifted by one of the few friendly strangers. She started walking towards the soup kitchen downtown, hoping to be early enough to get food before they ran out. The soup kitchen never had enough food for all the homeless of the city, and usually by the time she arrived, they had run out of food. The shelter also ran out of room, leaving the girl and many others to tough it out in the streets. She didn’t want to be like others in her situation and turn to drugs and ion. She was hopeful enough to believe things would get better for her, even though with every passing day things would only get worse. Just yesterday, she had lost all the money she could collect to a large homeless man who had attacked her in her usual alley. Thankfully he only got the money and didn’t hurt her, but it was a terrifying experience.

Arriving at the soup kitchen, she was glad to see that it was not yet full. She would be able to eat after all. She quickened her steps thinking about the delicious food she would eat a smile gracing her narrow, malnourished face. The girl entered the building and immediately joined the line for the food. The line seemed to move slowly but she waited patiently. She wasn’t the only one hungry anyway and she didn’t want to cause problems by voicing any discontent. Eventually, she arrived at the hot food table and picked up a tray, hungrily looking at the servers as they scooped what looked to be mashed potatoes, carrots, and cornbread into the trays.  She continued through the line with her eyes down as each server served their corresponding food onto her tray until she arrived at the drink line.

“Hi,” she heard and was startled.

Looking up, she met the eyes of a young woman with mid length, light brown hair and a big smiled that made the girl slightly uncomfortable.

“Um…hi?” the girl responded. 


A/N

And there goes the first one. Well it wasn't really the first one, but the real first one was 'Write a letter to your 16 y/o self and that got too personal to post. So this one happened. I wrote more than I thought I would in 30 min.

Soundrack: Traditional Arabian Music  (I listen to a lot of cultural music while writing)