Signs

Behind Closed Doors
The new neighbor had moved into the left side of the duplex that had been empty for a while since the last resident had left. After his old neighbor moved out, Jonghyun had lived on the right side of the duplex for a few months before he saw the moving trucks return, and heard faint steps going up the stairs in the other apartment.
He was curious who his new neighbor was. Would they be noisy? Were there multiple people moving in? Did they have pets? Would they be friendly or act like hermits?
He didn't get to see the person while he was moving in. He didn't want to be a creep so he didn't peek out his porch window when he heard people outside, but he was curious when he'd bump into them.
He thought about making them a welcoming present but never really got around to doing it. He slept in a lot and then would head off to work just to come home, take his dog out, work on a few sheets of music late at night and pass out in the wee hours of the morning at his desk.
A couple minutes after he got home from work one day, Jonghyun heard a knock at his door and the doorbell go off. It was one of the very few times Jonghyun had heard the tune. Not many people stopped by to visit except his mom and sister about once a month but they had keys and would just let themselves in.
His dog went crazy and Jonghyun picked up the little pup and jogged down his steps to go answer the front door. He was greeted with a friendly face and bright smile.
"Hey! I'm your new neighbor, Jinki. I came by to give you this. Hopefully we can get along!"
Jonghyun reached out with his other hand that wasn't holding his squirming excited dog to take the small package. He felt a little bad now. He was supposed to be the one welcoming his neighbor.
"Thank you. I was meaning to come say hi to you too, I just haven't had the chance yet. Sorry that's not really an excuse."
"No! You're fine! We all have lives."
The new neighbor had light brown hair hanging above his eyes that swayed each time he moved. His rabbit like smile was quite adorable with his thin eyes that nearly disappeared with his bright smile.
His dog barked and barked and kept smelling the air in front of the stranger.
"Sorry. She hasn't seen many people around here for at least six months since the last neighbor moved out."
Jinki waved at her.
"She's really cute. Can I pet her?"
"Yeah. Want to hold her? She looks like she wants to jump in your arms." He asked holding out the pup who yipped happily with her tail wagging a mile a minute.
"Of course."
Jinki took the small dog in his hands and laughed as she his chin happily.
"Well, you must be a good person then. Roo can tell if someone is serial killer or not."
Jinki laughed.
"Haha! No, I promise your new neighbor isn't planning anything like that."
"Is it just you or do you have a roommate?"
"No. Just me." He said petting the dog that had calmed down and curled against his chest.
"I'm usually pretty quiet but If I'm ever too loud for you please let me know."
Jonghyun smiled. "Don't worry. I can really sleep through anything and if you ever want to throw a party or jam out I wont tattle on you."
Jinki waved his comment off. "I'm not the party type so you won't have to worry about that."
"I'm Jonghyun by the way. If you ever need anything, I'm here. Did you get all your stuff moved in?"
Jinki nodded. "Yeah, and thank you. I'm definitely happy to be your new neighbor. I hope we get along great."
Jonghyun nodded and stretch his hand out.
"Yes. Nice to meet you."
Jinki handed back his dog.
"See you next time. Have a good night and don't be a stranger."
"You too Jinki."
---
When Jonghyun came home from work three days after their first meeting, he was curious when he saw three different cars parked in his neighbors driveway. They had made room for Jonghyun to pull into his garage thankfully and Jonghyun made his way into his house.
He had heard a couple sets of feet in the other apartment and could faintly hear a few different voices talking when he walked into his bedroom.
After the sun had started to go down, Jonghyun heard a knock on his front door, and when he answered it he met Jinki standing there with that same smile from ear to ear.
"Hey, Jonghyun. I just wanted to let you know that my friends came over to check out my new place and I was wondering if it was ok if we had a bonfire in the backyard."
Jonghyun laughed.
"You know half the land is yours right. You can do nearly anything you want."
Jinki's eyes disappeared in his smile again.
"Thanks! I was going to invite you over. Everyone brought a snack and a couple beers. I would be really happy if you joined us."
Jonghyun rubbed his neck.
"Ahh. I can't Jinki. I have such a big schedule tonight."
The neighbor looked down and the smile immediately left his face.
"Oh. No problem. That's fine. Maybe next ti-"
"Jinki, I'm kidding. You really think I have a busy schedule? I'll be over in five."
His neighbor laughed.
---
Jonghyun had changed his clothes and sprayed some cologne. He actually tried to look presentable. It wasn't often he got to meet new people and first impressions were very important.
After making sure Roo's food and water dishes were full he walked over to Jinki's home and knocked. Jinki immediately welcomed him in and when they went upstairs to the living room he meet three new faces
"Everyone, this is my neighbor, Jonghyun. He's really cool and has a cute little dog. Jonghyun, this is Kibum..." He said motioning to a bright blonde relaxing on the couch with his legs crossed who offered a sly grin.
"Hey. Nice to meet you."
"Minho." He motioned to the guy sitting on the other side of the couch, slouched over with his elbows on his knees who flashed his palm at him in a half wave.
"Hey."
"And Taemin." Pointing to the boy on the single seat couch. He looked like the youngest of the bunch and smiled just as bright to him as Jinki always did.
"Hi." He said waving with his heavy sweater covering his hand as he waved.
"Now that you're here we should head outside and start the bonfire."
It was easy to get along with Jinki's friends. They were all friendly and acted so relaxed around him as if they had been friends for years. It wasn't hard to hold a conversation with them either and Jonghyun didn't feel awkward since he was the only one in the group that didn't really know the others too well.
Kibum and Minho seemed to be the loudest of the bunch and both tried to lead the conversations. Jinki chimed in and seemed at ease with his friends there. They all seemed pretty cool. He hoped Jinki would invite them over frequently.
He had even brought Roo out to meet everyone and the small dog had made it's spot on Taemin's lap.
"She reminds me of my dog."
Jonghyun rose his brows.
"You have a dog too?"
Taemin nodded. "Yes. Her name's, Eve. She so sweet."
"You'll have to bring her over sometime so they can meet."
Taemin nodded and rubbed the pup behind her ears.
---
Jinki's friends did come over at least once to twice a week when their schedules allowed and Jonghyun was always more than welcome to hang out.
Yet, on someday, Jonghyun noticed only one car pulling into Jinki's driveway at night.
There were no loud noises. No music. No feet storming around. There were just small hints of voices talking, and even then Jonghyun would have to press his ear to the wall just to hear them.
Jonghyun found out it was Taemin. He only found out when he was sitting on his porch with his dog one night enjoying the fall breeze and saw the boy's car pull up.
Taemin noticed him and shyly waved.
Jonghyun didn't invite himself over when just Taemin came by. It just seemed too personal and intimate when the two were the only ones over there. They would talk and talk and sometimes go sit out on Jinki's porch.
When Taemin came over by himself, he would visit in the late evening when it was just getting dark and wouldn't leave until Jonghyun was just getting to sleep, and that was in the early early morning. However, sometimes Taemin's car would still be there when he woke up to go to work the next day.
Jonghyun started to suspect things and always kept the curiosity in the back of his mind when everybody was over and hanging out.
Now that he was looking for it, he found his answers.
When everyone was talking, he would catch the two sharing a look sometimes and smiling and looking away before anyone else could notice. They normally found seats next to each other and wouldn't stray too far from the other.
Jesus, how had no one else noticed this? It was so obvious now that he knew what was going on.
Jonghyun didn't think anyone else knew. They never made jokes about them or mentioned anything about the two being a couple, but how could they not see it?
---
Jonghyun was relaxing on his porch on a fall evening. The sun had gone down and he held his warm mug close to him while petting his dog laying on his lap.
The neighbor's sliding glass door opened and Taemin walked out.
When he noticed Jonghyun there, he paused for a slight second but then smiled at him, acting nonchalant.
"Hey, Jjong. How are you?"
"Good."
Roo jumped off Jonghyun's lap and ran over to the wooden fence separating the two porches. He wagged his tail at Taemin and yipped at him.
The boy smiled and leaned down to pet the pup's head.
"Just you and Jinki tonight?"
Taemin looked up and Jonghyun saw the split second of fear in his eyes before the boy smiled that usual bright smile and nodded.
"Yeah, he bought this new movie that I've been wanting to see so I came over to watch it with him."
Jonghyun nodded and looked into his half empty mug.
"Jinki must have a lot of movies then. Is movie night the normal thing on Tuesdays and Fridays?"
Taemin nearly gasped and Jonghyun tried to hide his smile. Of course he knew their schedule together. He was only Jinki's neighbor.
Taemin nodded.
"Uh- yeah. I normally come over to watch movies and play games. No one else likes to play chess or checkers with Jinki. I'm the only one that does. Gotta entertain the old man, you know?"
Jinki stepped out onto the porch next.
"Evening, Jonghyun."
"Hey." He smiled and offered a wave. "What are you and Tae up to tonight?"
"Oh we're just playing video games."
"Tae told me you were watching a movie."
The dog in front of Taemin looked so interesting to the boy and Jonghyun noticed him hiding his eyes under his bangs.
"A-after we play the game we are going to watch the movie."
"Ohh." Jonghyun nodded and stood up.
"Well I'm going to go refill my tea. You two have a good night, ok? Is tomorrow still happening?"
Jinki nodded and waved.
"Yeah. We will see you then. Have a great night, Jjong."
Taemin pat the dog's back before waving goodbye.
"See you tomorrow. Bye Roo." He said referring to their Saturday get-togethers when everyone was invited over.
---
Jonghyun found out Taemin worked at the local pet store the day he went there to buy Roo more dog food. He had stopped by after work and found Taemin stocking in the isle. Well, Taemin had spotted him first to be fair.
"Jonghyun?"
The man looked over and saw Taemin holding a bag of cat food.
"Hey Tae. You work here?" He asked, noting the green polo with the cat and dog logo on it that all the employees wore.
The boy nodded.
"Yeah. You must have never come during my shifts before."
Jonghyun nodded and looked back at the shelves of dog food.
"So are you coming over again this Tuesday?" The older male asked acting like it was a time when they all hung out.
But it wasn't.
Taemin paused and he didn't sound as confident when he normally talked.
"Probably. Jinki keeps telling me he wants a rematch at that game since I beat him three times in a row last time." He said, stacking the bags of cat food.
"So..." He decided to come right out and ask.
"Are you a Jinki a thing?"
Red flooded the boy's face and he waved his hands and stocked a little faster.
"Nonono. Of course not. Jinki and I are just best friends. I've known him the longest and we just kind of click you know. It's nothing like that though, I swear. I like girls."
"Tae, you don't have to lie to me. I don't have a problem if you like guys."
"I'm not! I promise!" He said in a hushed tone trying to keep his and Jonghyun's voices down.
"I-I have to stock the next isle. Say hi to Roo for me." He said pushing the cart of toys away with him.
Jonghyun went to the check out and as he was paying he looked over when he heard the front doors open.
Jinki had walked in.
He watched him walk in and go straight down the isle Taemin was in as if he knew exactly where he'd be.
Jonghyun smiled and picked up his bags but couldn't take his eyes off of the two down the isle as they talked.
Jinki must have accidentally walked into the wrong store.
He didn't have a pet.
---
One night Jonghyun was surprised when he got a call from Jinki asking if he wanted to come over and have dinner.
But it was Tuesday night.
Taemin was over.
"S-sure. I'll be right there."
Jonghyun walked in and went upstairs to find the game controllers and video games sprawled across the wooden table, and a game of chess set up with the pieces barely moved on another table with the chairs pushed in.
It seemed so...
set up.
So fake.
"Jjong, you'll really have to play Taemin. He's impossible to beat on that game."
Jonghyun nodded and hung his coat up on the rack. It was nice and warm in here compared to the chilly and rainy fall weather outside.
"Oh, have you guys been playing?"
"Yeah. Since Taemin got here."
The three sat down at the table and before Jonghyun could pick up his utensils...
"Do you mind if I say a prayer?"
"Go ahead."
Taemin put his hands together and so did Jinki.
"Dear, heavenly father..."
Jonghyun wasn't, but sat there respectfully. He had been invited to their dinner after all. He continued looking at his plate of delicious smelling chicken and veggies before he happened to glance up at Jinki to see his eyes open too. Jinki had his folded hands rested against his mouth and looked back down at his plate. He looked serious for once and as if he was thinking about a lot behind those down casted eyes.
Was Jinki not...
"Amen." Taemin said bringing his hands back to his lap and looking over to see Jinki opening his eyes.
"Amen." He said crinkling his eyes back up into half moons at Taemin.
They dug in not saying much and muttered a bit of small talk while munching away. Spending time with the quieter two of the bunch was relaxing.
"Thank you for inviting me. It's really good." Jonghyun mentioned, truthfully.
Taemin smiled at the oldest.
"Jinki always cooks well. He is the best chef I know."
The oldest blushed and couldn't look at Taemin in the eyes at the moment.
"Thanks, Tae"
Jonghyun felt bad being here even though the two had invited him over. He felt he was ruining their time together because their bond was so visible to him even though he knew they were trying to hide it.
After finishing dinner Jinki collected the plates.
"Hey, Jjong. Want to play a round with me?" Taemin said sitting on the sofa and handing a controller his way.
Jonghyun smiled. Why not? It wasn't like he was going to bed anytime soon.
---
"Ahh~"
The first time he heard it, Jonghyun dropped the pencil he was using while writing music at his desk.
Wait...
What was that?
"Nng. Ahh~, fu-"
The blood rushed to his face and he covered his mouth with his hand while leaning back in his chair and just stared at the wall in front of him.
Oh my god.
It was Friday night.
Taemin was...
He contemplated throwing headphones on. It was ridiculous how thin the walls seemed when it was night and there wasn't one thing making sound in his apartment. He practically felt like he was in the room with them.
Jonghyun waited but didn't hear anything else. He sat up in his chair and continued marking his music sheets with a harsh blush across his face.
It was suddenly really hard to focus now.
---
Jonghyun didn't think Jinki knew that sound traveled through the vents in the ceiling. However, hearing Jinki singing in the shower inspired him musically to jot down a few notes. Even through the old vents and the shower, Jonghyun could hear his beautiful charming voice echoing through to him. Sometimes Jonghyun would hum along and make a duet with him while tapping his pencil on his knee, making a beat.
---
During their get-togethers nowadays, Jonghyun noticed Taemin constantly touching his rosary bracelet and sliding the rosary ring around his finger. As of lately he seemed a little disconnected with everyone, even Jinki. Taemin already didn't talk that much in the group but he just didn't seem there anymore.
---
Jonghyun was laying in his bed fighting off the cold draft in his room by pulling the blanket over his shoulders. As he was drifting off to sleep in the early early morning, that was when he started to hear yelling.
He laid still while listening to the shouts coming form the other apartment. The only other person occupying Jinki's home was Taemin...
"You don't understand! It's very special to me!"
"Aren't I just as important? Shouldn't I be?!"
The sounds were no where near muffled. If anything, Jonghyun felt like he was right there.
"You know this is very hard for me."
"Well how do you think I feel?!"
The fight didn't last much longer. He listened to the footsteps suddenly racing down the stairs....
"Don't you walk out of here, Lee Taemin!"
And the door slam shut...
"Taemin! Don't be like this!"
And the car speed off out of the driveway....
Jonghyun was wide awake as he heard the slow and heavy footsteps coming up the stairs.
Roo jumped up on the bed and curled up against Jonghyun's side and he pet her while thinking about all the things that must be going through Jinki's head.
It was too much for him when he started to hear the quiet sobbing and it seemed much too personal for Jonghyun's ear. Jinki wouldn't want him to hear that.
He threw on his headphones and played a relaxing long song to drift off to sleep to.
---
Jonghyun was off the next day, thankfully. He wouldn't have been able to make it to work even if he did have to be in. He woke up to his house covered in snow! He had gone to the glass porch door and saw the frost on the edges of the glass and the thick white blanket piled high on everything outside. The trash cans, the porch, the driveway.
Jinki's car hadn't been moved. He hadn't gone anywhere all day and Jonghyun remembered the fight from last night. He must be feeling awful and Jonghyun really wanted to do something for him.
As much as he hated the snow, he bundled up and dragged himself outside to grab the mail. At least there was no wind. It was quiet and calm out this morning. Jonghyun ran back in and threw his mail on the desk and slammed the door shut. That was plenty daily dose of being outside for the day.
As he let Roo outside on the porch to pee, he texted his neighbor.

Hey buddy, I saved you the trouble of going outside and grabbed your mail for ya. I slipped it in your door. :)

Roo came back in and he shut the door, and he was surprised to get a message back so quickly.
Thank you, Jonghyun
Sure thing! If you need anything else, just holler! I'm off for the day. Hopefully you are too! It's a winter wonderland out there!
ok

Jonghyun would let him be. He knew Jinki would talk to him when he was ready.
---
No body could make it to their next hangout. Everyone had an issue. Kibum got scheduled a weird afternoon, Taemin had a big exam he had to study for. Minho had car troubles, and Jinki well, Jonghyun didn't think he was mentally prepared for a get together yet, or to see Taemin.
---
 After work, Jonghyun had to go to the pet store to get food for Roo. He had been anxious about going there for the last week now. It wasn't like he was trying to avoid Taemin, but he thought it might be a little awkward for the boy if they ran into each other again, being Jinki's neighbor and all, and having the knowledge that Taemin hadn't been over in a week now.
There was a little bit of a line. The person in front of him had a cart full and Jonghyun would have gotten into another line if there had been one. All he had was a bag of kibble and a cute toy that he couldn't help but grab, except there was only one line at the moment.
"I can help who's next."
Jonghyun looked over and saw Taemin looking at him. Jonghyun looked around and noticed he was the next person to be cashed out, but Taemin...
He pointed at himself making 100% sure that Taemin was talking to him and the boy nodded with a soft smile and waved him over.
"Hey thanks. I only came to grab this before Roo decided to start eating me. She gets cranky when she's hungry and I know she'd chew my leg off if I came home today with no food for her."
Taemin smiled and scanned his two items a little slower than normal.
"We actually are having a sale on dog toys today." The boy said waving the toy at Jonghyun and placing it in the bag. "Aww, she'll love you for this."
"Oh that's good news." Jonghyun said pulling out his wallet.
Taemin bagged the items one by one before telling him his total and taking his money.
"How's school, Tae?"
Taemin nodded. "Stressful. Exam time you know. That's why I haven't... been by in a while."
The cashier took the bills out one by one, recounted them, and slowly took the change out of the drawer.
"Are you two snowed in up there? My house is covered."
Jonghyun nodded holding his hand out for his change.
"The driveway is pretty clear, but you can hardly recognize anything else. I've been grabbing Jinki's mail for him so the old man doesn't fall over. He's pretty clumsy, you know?"
Taemin smiled and took the receipt and grabbed a pen to circle how much Jonghyun had saved.
"Oh, how is, Hyung?" He asked, bangs covered his face, unable to look up at Jonghyun.
Jonghyun's gaze went soft hearing the nervousness in the boy's voice.
He obviously cared.
He was obviously bothered.
Jonghyun could so easily read the youngin. He wanted to reach out and pat him on the back.
"He's...good. I think. I haven't seen much of him lately."
Jonghyn tried to not frown seeing the glum look that overtook the boy's face.
"Ohh."
Taemin grabbed Jonghyun's bags and handed them to him.
"I haven't been able to talk to him much, but If you ever want to talk or hang out, you know where I live, Stalker." He tried to lighten the mood, while taking his bags and putting his wallet in his jacket pocket.
"You should come over tonight, Tae. I'm making beef; you're favorite. If that doesn't tempt you, i don't know what will."
Taemin half smiled. He looked like he really wanted to. The next customer had come up and placed their stuff on the counter. Jonghyun was half walking away.
"I would, but I have homework."
Jonghyun nodded, understandably.
"No worries, but you should come by soon. I miss ya. So does Jinki." He said waving at the boy before turning away and leaving the store.
---
It was an easy night in for Jonghyun. He fed his pet and watched some TV with her on his lap while she chewed on her new toy. Taemin was right. She really did love it.
It was around six when he decided to start dinner. He had pulled the steak out of the fridge and set the pan on the stove when he heard himself get a text message.
He walked into the living room and picked his phone up from the table.

Hey would you still want to hang out tonight? - Taemin
What about your homework?
I know but I really want to talk
Ok no problem. Starting dinner. It should be done when you get here.
Here

"What?"
Jonghyun peeked out the porch window and saw Taemin's car in his driveway. He hurried downstairs, phone still in hand and Roo following him at his heels. He opened up his front door and saw Taemin in his big coat with fingerless gloves holding his phone. He looked like a deer in headlights when Jonghyun opened the door flooding him in light.
"Well... I hate to tell you dinner isn't done yet."
Taemin smiled. His breath appeared around him, and his cheeks were rosy red from the cold.
"I figured."
Roo jumped up and down, tail wagging, and happily yipping at Taemin. The boy slid his phone in his pocket and picked up the small dog that at his face. Jonghyun happily let him in.
Taemin threw his back pack down beside the couch and laid his coat on the arm rest.
"Is that your homework?"
The boy nodded.
"I'll help you with it after dinner, if you want."
"Thanks, Hyung."
Taemin helped prepare dinner and the two were sitting at the table but Jonghyun didn't dig in as fast as he normally would. He stared at the boy until Taemin finally noticed.
"What?"
"Did you want to say a prayer?"
Taemin put his hands together, closed his eyes and picked his fork back up a second later.
"I did." Taemin stated, noticing Jonghyun was ready to laugh at how quickly he did it. "In my head. Let's eat."
After dinner Taemin thanked him.
"That was pretty good."
"Aren't I one of the best chefs you've ever met?" He gloated with a smirk.
Taemin laughed.
"Not as good as Jinki."
The boy paused a second later. It felt weird talking so fondly of Jinki when they had acted like strangers for the past week. Jonghyun noticed the tension and suggested they work on Taemin's homework.
They went to the couch where Taemin pulled out his textbook and the billion of papers that were just a mess, crinkled, and he swore some were missing.
"You're organized."
"Shut up. I'm sure you weren't much better."
Jonghyun tried to help the kid the best he could even though Taemin seemed to know what he was doing. It was almost like Taemin had just wanted his company while he worked.
They chatted here and there as Taemin worked and Jonghyun played with Roo and her new toy. Jonghyun didn't bring up Jinki or that Taemin had wanted to talk. He'd let the kid bring that up on his own.
Jonghyun talked about work and Taemin mentioned school and this crazy customer that came into his work. Eventually his textbook page hadn't been flipped in a while and he switched it out for a Roo, which was much cuter and warmer, as he became preoccupied with talking with Jonghyun.
Jonghyun hadn't meant for it to, but the conversation was very easily able to slide towards Jinki, and Taemin decided to pursue it.
Taemin didn't cry, but he acted as serious as Jonghyun had ever seen him be. He rubbed the boy's back and tried to comfort him. He was even nice enough to get up and make him a cup of hot cocoa, the boy's favorite drink, when Taemin seemed to be on his breaking point. He fiddled with his rosary nonstop the entire time and pet Roo over and over.
He happily accepted the hot chocolate and the comforting hand on his back.
Taemin did most of the talking. It seemed like he honestly just needed an ear to listen to him as he vented. Jonghyun nodded here and there and offered his two cents when Taemin asked for it. Eventually the conversation had ceased and an obvious weight had been lifted off of Taemin's chest, leaving Jonghyun smiling at him like a proud parent.
"Do you think he hates me?" He asked cautiously, after a moment had passed and he had taken a long sip of his drink.
"He's for sure hurt, but I'm positive he doesn't hate you. He probably just really wants to talk and see you again."
Taemin smiled.
"I want to see him tonight."
Jonghyun patted his knee.
"Tomorrow, Tae. You should wait and think about what you want to say, and it is kind of late. Jinki might be in bed and you know how he gets when he's woken up."
Taemin laughed.
"Yeah. I, out of everyone, would know how he is. A true grumpy old man."
The dark cloud over Taemin's shoulders had left and spirits felt lifted and much happier.
"Thank you for dinner and talking with me. I should head home now."
"I'll walk you down."
Taemin packed up his bag and threw it over his shoulders. He zipped up his coat while walking down the stairs. His steps felt lighter and like he was floating on clouds.
He waved at his Hyung and then opened the front door to head out. Roo came up to his feet and he had to lean down to pet her before he left.
"Tae?"
The boy stood up and nearly fell over seeing Jinki standing on the other side of the door.
"Hyung?"
Jonghyun stood behind Taemin and looked between the two staring at each other, waiting for one of them to break the silence.
Jinki broke first.
He looked down fumbling with the mail in his hand.
"I just came since I noticed Jjong didn't get his mail today and I saw your car..."
He handed the envelopes to Jjong, not taking his eyes off of the boy in front of him.
"I didn't know if it was really your car or not. I haven't seen you in so long."
Taemin looked bashful.
"Yeah, school you know." He said, but there was obviously a deeper conversation that needed to be said.
"Do you... um.. is it ok if we talk...alone?" Taemin asked, nervously glancing up and down, waiting for Jinki to get mad and refuse his offer; for him to tear into his already open wounds and let him know just how much Taemin had hurt him.
But Jinki just looked as if a wave of relief had washed over him. It was as if those were the words he had been longing to hear for so long.
"Yes. Please. Watch your step. It's very icy out." Jinki said taking a hold of Taemin's arm and off they went like two little ducklings waddling back home.
Jonghyun smiled and pet his dog that he had picked up a while ago, or else she would have become the third little duckling to waddle away with them.
He didn't mind that neither of them had said a goodnight or goodbye.
That didn't even faze him as he closed and locked the door, a smile on his face as he went upstairs to go write.
He was a little inspired.
Maybe tonight he'd write a love song.
---
That Saturday was the first get together they had all been able to make in a while.
It felt great to see everyone again and a few hugs were exchanged.
"Wow, Old Man. Christmas decorations already?" Kibum asked, referring to the gold tinsel wrapped along the staircase rail and the stockings with everyone's names hanging up in the living room upstairs. Even the tree had been set up with the lights and 5 cups of hot cocoa waited on the living room table for them.
Jinki smiled happily and placed a hand on Taemin's shoulder.
"Yeah. Taemin helped me a few days ago."
Everyone took a seat in the living room and the TV was so they could take turns trying to beat Taemin at a video game.
Jonghyun knew they would eventually come out about their relationship, and he knew everyone would accept it in their circle of friends.
Jonghyun wondered how long it would take until that mistletoe was put to use.
However, with the way Kibum started to side eye the pair that was in such a good mood and practically glued to each other, Jonghyun didn't think it would take long for the rest to figure it out on their own.
Jonghyun waited.
and waited...
and he saw the moment realization struck Kibum.
 
It was so obvious when you were looking for the signs.
 
 
 
~*~*~
​I actually am a big fan of Jonghyng cheering on ontae. Like in real life too you know ;)
​Thanks for reading!
​*claps to myself at my first story through jjongs pov* thats a first lol and fun fact. i actually used jjongs name exactly 100 times in this fic XD