fin

Of Sayings, Mornings, and Unspoken Feelings

Nayoung is not a morning person. She hates waking up early in the morning just for school. The alarms that she set do not do much help since she's always too asleep. She may wake up sometimes, but she would always end up going back to sleep. And that's why she has her roommate who would wake her up for her to not miss school.

 

But not today. 

 

Nayoung wakes up to a loud banging on the door. At first, she thinks she was just dreaming, not until someone shouts, "NAYOUNG UNNIE!!! WAKE UP!" at the other side of the door.

 

She stumbles sleepily to open the door, not wanting to hear further noise. 

 

"What?" Nayoung watches as a girl in her school uniform busts inside the room. The said girl stops just past Nayoung to admire the older girl's sleepy face, but Nayoung doesn't notice it. She doesn't notice things when it comes to Jieqiong, anyway.

 

"Aish, Jieqiong. My head feels like it's going to explode any minute now."

 

"Good morning." The Chinese girl flashes a smile, pretending not to hear the whining of the older girl. "Chungha unnie asked me to wake you up. She forgot about you."

 

"Don't believe her. She did that on purpose." Nayoung huffs, remembering how Chungha hated her last week for not showing up in their supposed-to-be drinking night. And by drinking night, she means Chungha drinking and Nayoung just listening to her drunk friend. Apparently, the girl had some issues but Nayoung completely forgot about it and slept through the night.

 

"Unnie, can you go shower now?" Jieqiong sits on Nayoung's bed, hugging the plushie that Nayoung brought from her home. "I don't want to be late."

 

"Alright." Nayoung, then, takes in the sight of Jieqiong hugging her favorite plushie before going to shower, making her smile a little, if that's even possible for a stone like her. She finds it cute, but Nayoung being Nayoung, she will never admit that...even to herself.

 

-

 

The two girls walk to school, side by side, with a comfortable silence surrounding them. They have reached their building with a few minutes to spare. 

 

Students can still be found in the hallways and the moment they see Im Nayoung, one of the most popular seniors in the campus, murmurs filled the hallways.

 

"Nayoung unnie!" A tall girl, probably taller than Nayoung, approached the two. "Have you heard?"

 

"Heard what, Doyeon?"

 

"Chaeyeon unnie is back." Nayoung's heart skipped a beat when she heard that name. She opened to say something, but no words came out.

 

. Jung Chaeyeon is back. Im Nayoung's only ex-girlfriend is back and she doesn't even know what to say and what to do.

 

Meanwhile, the Chinese girl is just... there. She looks at Nayoung and notices the tiny crease of the girl's eyebrows. 

 

When Doyeon notices that Nayoung won't even say anything, she lightly pats the older girl's shoulder, as if to say that everything is going to be alright. She hopes that she gets the message, though. She, then, gives a small smile to Jieqiong and goes to proceed to her classroom. And that leaves the two alone again.

 

"Let's go, Jieqiong." Nayoung holds out her hand, which Jieqiong hesitatingly takes in her own. This isn't something that Nayoung usually does."You're going to be late." She adds quietly, still holding Jieqiong's hand. 

 

For whatever reason she's doing this, Nayoung isn't so sure, but Jieqiong knows. She knows that the older girl is holding her for support and it certainly has something to do with that girl.

 

Jieqiong may not know Chaeyeon personally, especially because when she was transferred to this school, the girl had already left. She doesn't know much about her. But hearing stories from her friends, she only knows that this girl was the most popular girl in school, pretty and all. And, of course, she was the only girl that Nayoung fell for. Her Nayoung unnie fell for.

 

Her thoughts were stopped when they reached her classroom. 

 

"I'll see you later, Jieqiong." Nayoung says quietly. Jieqiong gives her a small smile of thanks and proceeds to go inside her room. The older girl watches as she made her way inside and leaves only when the younger girl has found her seat.

 

-

 

Nayoung doesn't really care if she's going to be late or not. She makes her way to the nearest restroom and washes her face with the cold running water.

 

"Wake up, Nayoung. All of this is just a dream." She tries to convince herself again and again.

 

But, of course, it isn't. This is not a dream. Chaeyeon going back to their school after two years is not a dream. Her relationship with Chaeyeon was not a dream, too. It happened. And it ended just because the younger girl had to leave Seoul. Heck, she actually left without even telling Nayoung.

 

There wasn't any closure. But two years of no contact, Nayoung assumed the fact that Chaeyeon leaving was already synonymous with "I'm breaking up with you."

 

God, that girl ruined her. She was Nayoung's first love. And so when Nayoung found out about Chaeyeon leaving, she became a wreck. Drowning herself in alcohol every time she wanted to. Sometimes with her friends, but most of the time, she was alone.

 

People in school were not of any help, either. Since they were one of the most popular couples in the campus, they were mostly the subject of conversations between students. And when Chaeyeon left, they kept on pestering Nayoung. Asking her questions like where she went, why she left, and some even blamed Nayoung for it. So much for dating a campus crush. 

 

It took her several weeks, months even, to get herself together. It was a gradual process. Little by little, Nayoung had lessen her alcohol dependency. Her friends helped her by not initiating drinking with her.

 

Things became different when a certain Chinese girl transferred to their school. She really was a pretty girl and everyone wanted to be friends with her. How the girl managed to be in their group of friends was still a mystery to Nayoung. She got close with her, too. And this human embodiment of sunshine became the closest to Nayoung, despite their .

 

Unknown to Nayoung, she was deeply attracted to Zhou Jieqiong. It was a lot easier for her to open up to the younger girl and vice versa. 

 

And Nayoung may be protective of her friends, but she wasn't that protective when it comes to Jieqiong. It was way more than that. And being a great friend that she is, she always walks with Jieqiong from and to the school.

 

Not only that, Jieqiong really was a different one. Her friends told her how Jieqiong was able to make her smile just like how Chaeyeon did. Nayoung had heard it once or twice, but she just brushed it off. She thought that her friends were just exaggerating. Her friends, in return, could not believe how stubborn Nayoung was. But sometimes, you couldn't blame her. Her girlfriend left her without even telling her. That must have hurt a lot.

 

-

 

"Yah, were you with Nayoung unnie?" Eunwoo asks her as she sits on her usual seat. Jieqiong nods. "Does she know already?" 

 

"About Ch-" Eunwoo covers Jieqiong's mouth, cutting the girl's words off. "Yah!"

 

"Be quiet. She's here." The girl whispers. Jieqiong raises her eyebrows, a little bit amazed at the fact that her Nayoung unnie's ex-girlfriend is in the same class as her.

 

"You didn't tell me." Jieqiong rests her chin on her palm. She then looks around the room. She doesn't have to look for Chaeyeon, actually, since the girl's beauty just radiates without exerting much effort.

 

"Yep. That's her." Eunwoo smirks as she saw who Jieqiong was looking at. "Don't worry. You still have a chance with Nayoung unnie." Jieqiong rolls her eyes and hits Eunwoo's shoulder, putting more strength than ever.

 

"Ow! You're too much." Eunwoo rubs her shoulder as if to ease the pain. "But I'm telling the truth, though. There were only two people who can make Nayoung unnie smile like that. You and Jung Chaeyeon."

 

"But, now, it's only you so wow, game over." She adds. Jieqiong just shakes her head in return. She thinks that there is no way for Nayoung to fall for her, especially that she isn't looking for love... Nayoung told her that once.

 

-

 

Classes have ended. Jieqiong and Eunwoo walk together to the lockers. When they see Nayoung casually leaning against the lockers while busying herself with her phone, Eunwoo nudges her friend's side playfully.

 

"Told you." Eunwoo smirks. Jieqiong rolls her eyes again and manages to whisper a "shut up".

 

"Hey." Nayoung greets them when she sees them approaching. "Hey, Eunwoo."

 

"Hey, unnie. Care to tell me why you're here? By Jieqiong's locker exactly?" Eunwoo teases. Jieqiong tries to hide her blush by busying herself to fix her things in her locker.

 

"I was waiting for her. How 'bout you, Eunwoo?" Nayoung says calmly. "I thought Siyeon asked you to meet her in the lobby at 4pm sharp?"

 

Eunwoo's eyes widen. She checks her watch and she panics when she sees that it's already 4:09pm.

 

"Ugh. I'm so dead." Eunwoo puts her things in her locker in a hurry. "Bye, guys!" She waves goodbye to Jieqiong and Nayoung and runs away.

 

"How was your day, unnie?" Jieqiong asks the older girl while still fixing her things in her locker. Nayoung doesn't answer. 

 

She turns to look at Nayoung and she realizes that she isn't even paying attention, instead she sees Nayoung blankly staring at the end of the hallway. 

 

When Jieqiong follows Nayoung's line of sight, she sees Jung Chaeyeon.

 

Does Nayoung still like her, though? After all those years? Jieqiong sighs, closing her locker with unnecessary force that catches Nayoung's attention.

 

"Let's go?" Nayoung looks at her. Jieqiong simply nods and starts walking with the older girl. It takes her a few seconds before she realizes that they went the opposite way. Her Nayoung unnie is avoiding Jung Chaeyeon.

 

-

 

"Unnie, please don't drink tonight." Jieqiong speaks up, breaking the comfortable silence between them. She knew about Nayoung's drinking problem years ago and how she was like that all because of Jung Chaeyeon. Now that she's back, Nayoung might go drink her stress away again. And Jieqiong doesn't want that.

 

Nayoung looks at her, chuckling softly. "I wasn't planning to, but thanks, anyway." 

 

Their eyes meet and in that moment, Jieqiong knew that Nayoung wasn't kidding. They stared at each other's eyes quietly until the older girl speaks up.

 

"Would you kill me if I would?" She asks with an unreadable expression on her face. Jieqiong raised her eyebrows, surprised at the question.

 

"Yeah." Jieqiong says softly. "I'm just worried about you."

 

"I promise I won't." Nayoung looks anywhere else but Jieqiong. And shyly adds, "I don't want you to be worried..."

 

"If you say so." Jieqiong grins at the sight of Nayoung being shy. It was a cute sight. And she trusts Nayoung. If Nayoung says that she won't drink, then she won't. 

 

"Yeah..." Anything for you. But Nayoung will never get herself to say that. She doesn't even know why she would say that. 

 

Then, Nayoung pauses, contemplating if she should bring this up or not. But this is Jieqiong. To Nayoung, Jieqiong's a friend that is always there for her. Maybe it's okay to bring this up. "I saw her today, Jieqiong."

 

Jieqiong looks at her, smiling a little. She didn't expect Nayoung to mention it to her. She doesn't say anything, waiting for Nayoung to continue.

 

"She's still the same Chaeyeon years ago." Nayoung sighs, shaking her head in disbelief. "God, I hate her so much."

 

Unknown to Nayoung, Jieqiong is studying her quite intently. She wants to know if Nayoung was ever over Chaeyeon. But by judging Nayoung's words, she can say that Chaeyeon still has an effect to Nayoung. And first love never dies. Damn it, Jieqiong hates that saying so much.

 

"Have you two talked already, unnie?" Jieqiong asks quietly. Nayoung shakes her head in return. "I remember you once told me how you two didn't have some closure."

 

"We didn't. She left. And never even called me." Nayoung laughs bitterly. "I don't even know what I did wrong. Heck, I think she completely forgot about me."

 

Jieqiong grabs Nayoung's hand and squeezes it, telling Nayoung that everything's going to be fine. She wonders why someone would actually do that to Nayoung. Sure, she may not be perfect. She has her ups and downs. But hurt her like that? Jieqiong would never do that. She will never do that.

 

The two continue to walk in silence, still holding hands. Nobody actually wanted to let go.

 

Jieqiong tries to busy herself with her phone, using her free hand. The person that she really likes is holding hands with her. If anyone sees them, they'd think they were a couple. 

 

And if she wasn't that busy scrolling through Twitter, she would have noticed Nayoung staring at her, studying, admiring even, her facial features.

 

-

 

Im Nayoung feels like she's suffocating. She's been trying to get it together but so many things are happening at the same time. One moment they're talking about Chaeyeon, her ex. And now, Jieqiong is holding her hand at a time like this. Nayoung had held her hand a couple of times before, but this time it feels different. She tries to ignore the fast beating of her heart, but fails when she turns to look at Jieqiong's face. 

 

Wrong move, Nayoung. God, why is Jieqiong so pretty? She's effortlessly beautiful. It's not that Nayoung hasn't realized it before. Jieqiong was always pretty to her. But with Jieqiong caring for her like this... Damn it.

 

"Are you alright?" Jieqiong asks her when they reach in front of the younger girl's dorm, her face full of concern. She must have felt something different with the Im beside her.

 

"Don't worry about me." Nayoung smiles. "Thanks."

 

"Okay." Jieqiong nods and smiles back.

 

-

 

It takes Nayoung a longer time than usual before she reaches her dorm. She decided to walk the long way, to think about stuff. She needed some time alone. But it's not that Jieqiong's presence isn't welcomed. She's totally fine with it. And she needed it, too.

 

When she reaches her dorm, she sees a figure sitting down on the small flight of stairs, making her stop a few steps away from her. The said girl was typing something in her phone, but soon stopped when she noticed the older girl's presence. She slowly drags her eyes upward and meets Nayoung's eyes.

 

This is the first time that they actually met after two long years. They hold each other's gaze for a while before Chaeyeon stands up and nervously approaches Nayoung.

 

"What are you doing here?" Nayoung is the first one to speak up, asking Chaeyeon with a blank expression on her face.

 

"Nayoung unnie..." Nayoung hears Chaeyeon's voice after a long time. And she hates how she missed it. She wasn't supposed to get affected by that girl again. "I'm sorry."

 

God, she hates her even more now. After all she went through, Chaeyeon thinks that a 'sorry' will solve everything? 

 

"You left me." Nayoung frowns. "And you didn't even tell me."

 

"I'm sorry..." Chaeyeon's eyes start to tear up. "I'm really sorry."

 

"I deserve an explanation, Chae. And you can't even give me one." Nayoung clenches her fist, hurt was still evident in her voice. Chaeyeon doesn't answer, instead she just buries her face in her hands, with tears flowing from her eyes.

 

This is too much. Nayoung can't even control the emotions inside her. She wanted to yell at the younger girl, curse at her even. She was mad at her, and she is still mad at her. But she just can't express it. All the anger she had felt before... she just can't express it. Damn, she needs a drink right now.

 

Not long after, Nayoung's clenched fists start shaking from anger. She closes her eyes, not wanting to see Chaeyeon for a while. She tries to control her breathing to contain herself. 

 

"I'm sorry... I love you." She hears Chaeyeon whisper, but this time it's closer. Before she even gets to open her eyes, she feels Chaeyeon's lips on hers, with the younger girl's hand cupping her cheek.

 

She wasn't supposed to kiss back, but she does. Her arms unconsciously wrapped around Chaeyeon's waist. 

 

Two seconds into the kiss, Nayoung pulls away almost immediately. 

 

She takes a step back with a shocked expression on her face.

 

She just thought of Jieqiong while kissing Chaeyeon.

 

-

 

The next day, Nayoung and Jieqiong arrive at their building much later than the day before. Apparently, Chungha forgot about waking Nayoung up again and asked Jieqiong to do it for her. It was harder to wake Nayoung up, even with Jieqiong calling her phone, since Nayoung didn't even seem to be hearing the loud banging of the younger girl.

 

"I really thought you got drunk last night." Jieqiong casually voices her thoughts out. Nayoung turns to look at her. "Considering that you're much more difficult to wake up earlier."

 

"I promised you, remember?" Nayoung smiles. But unknown to Jieqiong, Nayoung almost drank last night. She needed it. With all these Chaeyeon coming back, telling her she still loves her, and her unexplainable feelings for Jieqiong... It's just too much. She just wanted to drink her worries away. But she can't. She just can't disappoint Jieqiong.

 

"That's good to know." Jieqiong clings onto her arm and playfully rests her head on Nayoung's shoulder. "My Nayoung unnie doesn't disappoint."

 

-

 

The teacher isn't around, giving their class an entire period of free time. Eunwoo wanted to go the cafeteria to go get some food and asked Jieqiong to come along.

 

While they are eating and killing their time inside the cafeteria, they suddenly hear something they did not expect. 

 

"Chaeyeon and Nayoung are back together?!" A girl, not so far away from the two, wasn't able to control her emotions. Her friends panicked and covered immediately. They don't look like they're friends with any of the two, so maybe the girl is just one of the fangirls of either Nayoung or Chaeyeon.

 

When Eunwoo heard this, her eyes widen. Her ears perk up, trying to listen to the conversation. Jieqiong doesn't say anything and continues to eat her food.

 

"They're back together? That's impossible. She ruined Nayoung's life. How come they're back together?"

 

"I know! But I saw it with my own eyes, okay!"

 

"You saw what? YOU SAW WHAT?"

 

"They kissed last night. I saw it. I swear it was them."

 

Eunwoo's face is now full of concern for Jieqiong. Her friend hasn't told her yet, but she knows Jieqiong has feelings for Nayoung. She just doesn't know how intense those feelings are, but she's sure that Jieqiong likes Nayoung. 

 

Meanwhile, Jieqiong drinks her water to get herself together. She loves Nayoung. She's in love with Nayoung, and hearing that she's back together with Chaeyeon feels like a knife just stabbed into her heart.

 

"So she's never over her." Jieqiong laughs bitterly. 

 

Eunwoo squeezes her friend's hand. She feels sorry for Jieqiong. She shouldn't be hearing this. She shouldn't be hearing all of this from other people. If she were to know about this, it must come from Nayoung herself.

 

"Jieqiong..." Eunwoo says quietly, a little bit unusual from the loud Jung Eunwoo. "We don't know, okay? We're not sure about that."

 

"Back together or not, she will always be her first love." Jieqiong tries to smile through the pain. "And first love never dies, remember?"

 

"That's bull, Jieqiong." Eunwoo rests her chin on her palm. "Don't believe such saying."

 

"Eunwoo, what do you think? Do you think she's ever over her?"

 

"I don't know..." Eunwoo frowns. She wanted to say that Nayoung might have feelings for her, too, considering how she saw how Nayoung looks at Jieqiong. It's different. But she doesn't want to get her hopes up. "But I'm sure of one thing. If they're really back together that fast, then Nayoung unnie is an idiot."

 

-

 

"Penny for your thoughts?" Jieqiong was just staring at nothing until she hears someone whisper next to her. They're in the library and the old woman by the counter might kill them if they talk in their normal voice.

 

She doesn't have to look at that person beside her because she knows that voice well.

 

"Nothing much." Jieqiong tries to smile. It has been days since she overheard that conversation in the cafeteria. She's been avoiding Nayoung, but the older girl always gets to find her.

 

"You have an exam tomorrow?" Nayoung asks as she sees the scattered notes and books in front of Jieqiong. Jieqiong nods in return and goes back to reviewing.

 

"Good luck." Nayoung pats her shoulder lightly and sits down beside Jieqiong. Jieqiong was about to protest but Nayoung stopped her. "Don't mind me. I'll wait for you here."

 

"Unnie, you don't have to wait for me." She looks straight into Nayoung's eyes. "I'm planning to stay for a few hours more. You should go home."

 

"I'm not walking home without you." Nayoung boldly tucks hair behind Jieqiong's ear. Jieqiong's heart just skipped a beat. No, two beats. "Besides, I'm not letting you go home later alone. It's gonna be dark outside."

 

Jieqiong opens to say something, but no words came out. Nayoung taps the notes in front of her. "Focus, Jieqiong."

 

But it's hard for Jieqiong to focus when Nayoung is there beside her. Sometimes she feels that the older girl's watching her every move and it's killing her. 

 

It didn't take that long for Nayoung before she fell asleep. Jieqiong thought that she was finally going to be able to focus. But she was wrong.

 

When she turned to look at the sleeping Nayoung, she just couldn't help but smile. It was a cute sight and she couldn't help but giggle, forgetting her problems even just for a while.

 

Apparently, Jieqiong's sweet giggle woke Nayoung up, that made the older girl open her eyes and see Jieqiong staring at her. She groans. "Stop staring at me."

 

"I wanted to." These words accidentally slip out of Jieqiong's mouth. She nervously laughs, hiding how embarrassed she is. And the smirk on Nayoung's face doesn't do any help.

 

-

 

"Have you ever been in love, Jieqiong?" Nayoung suddenly asks her one night in one of their sleepovers at Siyeon's house. Being the only ones who weren't asleep, they found themselves talking in their friend's balcony.

 

"I am." Jieqiong answers quietly, admiring the stars in the sky instead of the beauty next to her. "Why do you ask, unnie?"

 

Nayoung wants to ask who's the lucky person that Jieqiong's in love with. But a part of her doesn't want to know.

 

Nayoung sighs. She doesn't know what to tell her. Heck, she doesn't even know why she asked her that lame question. Then, she tries to come up with something not as stupid as her previous question.

 

"Do you think first love never dies?" 

 

Nayoung bites her lip as soon as the words left .

 

Okay. That was actually more stupid than her first question. She can't even look at Jieqiong now, considering how stupid her question was.

 

Jieqiong looks at her, waiting for Nayoung's eyes to meet hers. But the older girl seems to have put more interest into the starry sky.

 

"I don't know." I never wanted to know. Jieqiong lets out a sigh, trying to ignore the fact that Nayoung is most certainly asking her about Chaeyeon. "What do you think?"

 

"I'm not really sure..." Nayoung's voice come out as a whisper, but Jieqiong was able to hear it. And it did not fail to break the Chinese girl's heart.

 

Silence. No one doesn't even dare to break the silence. Unspoken feelings are still left... unspoken.

 

"It's really beautiful tonight, huh?" Jieqiong changes the topic, her eyes admiring the stars in the sky. Nayoung looks at her, taking in the sight of the younger girl's beauty. Apparently, looking at Jieqiong is much better than looking at the stars in the sky.

 

"Yeah." Nayoung says softly, still staring at Jieqiong's face. But Jieqiong's too busy staring at the night sky to even notice. "Too pretty."

 

"Too pretty that you should probably marry it?" Jieqiong jokes, trying to forget about what Nayoung said earlier. She looks at the older girl, their eyes meeting in an instant.

 

"Yeah. I'd marry it." Nayoung smiles so lovely, still staring at Jieqiong's eyes. She can't believe it herself, but it's actually the first time that she verbally admits that she loves Jieqiong. But Jieqiong still doesn't have any idea what Nayoung really is talking about.

 

In that moment, Nayoung forgot about Chaeyeon. Her first love. Her first love that left her, came back, and told her that she still loves her. And somehow, it has come to the point where Jieqiong just makes her forget everything else. But Nayoung being Nayoung... she doesn't realize it herself.

 

-

 

"Eunwoo, can I ask you something?" 

 

Eunwoo just had the shock of her life when she hears Nayoung's voice as she exited her classroom. The older girl decided to show up in one of her classes that she doesn't have with Jieqiong.

 

"What is it, unnie?" She turns around and sees Nayoung leaning against the wall.

 

"Are you free after school?" Nayoung says quietly, looking around the hallway to check if Jieqiong's around.

 

"Are you asking me out?" Eunwoo smirks, Nayoung giving her a blank stare in return. "Okay, okay, I was kidding! I know I'm not Chaeyeon or Jieqiong but you can love me too!" 

 

Nayoung rolls her eyes, ignoring her friend's antics. She's used to it, but Eunwoo didn't really have to mention those names. And the fact that she mentioned Jieqiong...

 

"Can you please walk with Jieqiong later?" Nayoung asks as politely as she can.

 

"Fine. I'm doing this for free." Eunwoo smiles and, later on, activates the Serious Eunwoo mode. "Whatever it is that you're gonna do... I hope it's not something that Jieqiong won't really like."

 

Nayoung's eyebrows raise at the sudden change of her friend's way of talking. But, at least, she knows that there is someone else that cares for and is protective of Jieqiong.

 

"It's her, isn't it?" Eunwoo whispers. "It has something to do with Chaeyeon."

 

"It is." Nayoung nods. She wonders how Eunwoo knew, though.

 

"Congratulations, I guess?"

 

"What do you mean?" Nayoung frowns, suddenly confused with Eunwoo's words.

 

"You guys are back together, right?" Eunwoo says carefully, a little bit bothered of Nayoung's reaction.

 

"What are you talking about?" Nayoung hits Eunwoo's shoulder lightly. "When did that even happen?"

 

"What?!" Eunwoo exclaims, her voice echoes through the hallway. "But I heard you two k-"

 

Nayoung covers Eunwoo's mouth with her hand, looking around to see if other people heard it. She wonders how Eunwoo knew about the mistake that she did. She kissed Chaeyeon back when she wasn't supposed to.

 

Nayoung's eyes slightly widen when she realizes something. If Eunwoo knows, then Jieqiong probably knows too. God, she is so dead.

 

"Does Jieqiong know?" Nayoung asks weakly. Eunwoo swats Nayoung's hand away and glares at the older girl.

 

"If she does... does it matter?"

 

Nayoung doesn't answer, instead she focuses on the floor. Eunwoo takes it as a yes and her expression softens.

 

"Nayoung unnie." Eunwoo pats the older girl's shoulder, trying to hide the teasing smile on her face. "Why would it matter? You have feelings for her, don't you?"

 

Nayoung slowly raises her head, deciding if she would tell her friend or not.

 

"Just please don't forget to walk with her later, Eunwoo."

 

-

 

"Are you sure about it?" Chungha asks her as they exit their classroom. Nayoung just told her during their class that she's going to talk to Chaeyeon, which made Chungha stop whatever she was doing.

 

"We never really got to talk again." 

 

Nayoung bites her lip after she realizes what her last word was. She haven't told Chungha about what happened that day and she wasn't actually planning to.

 

"Again?" Chungha's eyes slightly widen. "So you two have talked already?"

 

Nayoung rolls her eyes, hating how Chungha had sharp ears for listening. She lets out a sigh and ends up telling Chungha everything. Everything. And that includes telling Chungha the reason why she pulled away from the kiss.

 

"I can't believe you."

 

"I couldn't believe myself, either." Nayoung sighs, receiving a laugh from Chungha.

 

"Whatever makes you happy, unnie." Chungha pats her friend's back. Nayoung smiles, thanking her friend for being there for her. "But I still hate you for not telling me, we're roommates, remember?"

 

"I'm sorry, Chungha."

 

"So... Jieqiong, huh?" Chungha smirks. Nayoung just nods in defeat, hoping that her friend's nice enough to not tell Jieqiong.

 

-

 

This is it. This is really it.

 

Nayoung is waiting for Chaeyeon outside her presumed last class of the younger girl. When she sees her, she nervously walks towards her and calls her name.

 

"Unnie?" Chaeyeon's face is a combination of shock, joy, and confusion. But mostly confusion. Ever since that day, Nayoung avoided her at all costs. She has been wanting to talk and apologize but every time she tries to approach her, Nayoung is with someone else. Every freaking time. And always with that same person.

 

"Can we talk?" Nayoung asks quietly. Chaeyeon nods in return. They walk in silence, making their way towards one of the benches in their campus.

 

"What is it that you wanted to tell me that day again?" Nayoung's calm voice fills the air, even she herself is surprised at how she's handling the situation.

 

"I'm sorry..." Chaeyeon sits on the bench with Nayoung doing the same. They aren't too close, but aren't too far, either. "I know how much I've hurt you... I heard it from your friends."

 

Nayoung just looks at her, waiting for her to continue.

 

"It's just that... These feelings... they just won't go." Chaeyeon sighs and her eyes are starting to get watery.

 

"Why did you leave me? What did I do wrong?" Nayoung's voice comes out as a whisper. Chaeyeon feels more guilt when she hears her. "Why didn't you tell me that you were leaving?"

 

"I... I had to leave Seoul because of family problems. And I couldn't even tell you about that because..." Chaeyeon pauses, hesitating whether she would continue or not. "Because I didn't want to be a burden to you... And I didn't want to lose you."

 

"But you still lost me." Nayoung says, blankly staring at Chaeyeon.

 

"I know..." The younger girl sniffs. "And I also know that you're still so mad at me now. I just... I just want us to start all over again."

 

"No." Nayoung answers sternly. "We can't."

 

Chaeyeon wasn't so surprised. She expected that. She knew that she hurt her that badly, that Nayoung wouldn't be able to forgive her. But this response... how Nayoung answered so fast, so sternly, was something that bothered her.

 

"You have someone..." Chaeyeon says weakly, it's more of a statement than a question. She remembers seeing that girl who is always with Nayoung. Maybe that is what is stopping her.

 

She looks at Nayoung, waiting for her reply. But the latter doesn't meet her eyes.

 

"I do." Nayoung says quietly, still staring at the ground.

 

"Since when?" Chaeyeon wasn't supposed to ask, but her words escaped from .

 

"We're not..." Nayoung smiles sadly, not continuing her words.

 

"Do you love her?" 

 

Their eyes once again meet with each other. And there, Chaeyeon saw it. She saw how Nayoung's eyes have changed when they started talking about the other girl.

 

"Yeah."

 

Chaeyeon nods. She thinks that she understands it now. Judging from the older girl's actions and words, it seems that Nayoung is completely over her. Yeah, sure, she had hurt her. But, on that day when she told her that she still loves her, she thought that there may be a chance for them to get back together. Nayoung kissed her back. It was quick, but she still kissed her back. But she was wrong.

 

And after all this time, she finally realizes that she had always been the one hurting Nayoung. She had always been the selfish one. Maybe Nayoung had let her go ages ago and she's the only one holding her back. 

 

She had always wanted Nayoung to be happy and if letting her go is the only solution... then, maybe, she can do that for her. For Nayoung.

 

"Does she love you back?" Chaeyeon places her hand on top of Nayoung's. Luckily for her, Nayoung doesn't pull her hand away.

 

"I don't know." The older girl shakes her head.

 

"I just hope that she will never hurt you... like I did." Chaeyeon looks away, her voice filled with guilt. Nayoung just nods in return.

 

Then, silence fills the air. The only thing that can be heard from them is their breathing.

 

"So, this is it, huh?" Chaeyeon breaks the silence after a couple of minutes. When Nayoung looks at her, confused and all, she adds, "It's the end, huh?"

 

Chaeyeon tries to smile, maybe she can do something good for Nayoung for once. Hopefully, letting her go is not a bad decision at all.

 

Then, she stands to her feet, making Nayoung do the same. They face each other, no one actually says a word. 

 

Chaeyeon almost loses it when she sees Nayoung open her arms wide all of a sudden. She crushes her body into Nayoung's for a hug, holding her tight as if it was their last. Well, actually, it really is their last.

 

And they just stayed like that.

 

Unknown to the two ex-lovebirds, a pair of eyes had seen them from afar. It was the first time that she had seen the two together. Her eyes were then filled with tears that would flow anytime soon.

 

"First love never dies," she whispers to no one and walks away. She returns to her class with a heavy heart. "Damn it."

 

 -

 

It has been days. Jieqiong has been avoiding Nayoung in any way possible, mainly because she doesn't want to see her with she-who-must-not-be-named. Except for their walks. (Jieqiong had always been bothered about that 'Nayoung walking with her' thing, even though she's back with that girl. Or so she thought.) She will never get her way out of that, knowing how Nayoung is so protective of her. But was it really just Nayoung being protective? She isn't so sure. She hopes there's actually more to that.

 

But who was she kidding? She and Nayoung are just friends, that unnie-dongsaeng kind of friendship. Even though she loves Nayoung with all her heart, Nayoung will never reciprocate that.

 

"Unnie, I have a make up class until 7. You don't have to wait for me."

 

She texts her during lunch. She waited for the older girl to reply and she only got an "okay i'll see u" from her.

 

Jieqiong stares at Nayoung's text message. She'll see me when? She sighs. She hopes Nayoung meant she'll just see her tomorrow. Not later. Hopefully, for once, Nayoung will let her go all by herself. 

 

-

 

"Bye, Jieqiong!" Eunwoo quickly says her goodbye when she sees Nayoung waiting outside of her classroom. She wants to give time for both of her friends, maybe tonight's going to be the night that they can fix what they have to fix.

 

And knowing Nayoung, and especially now that she somehow knows Nayoung's feelings towards Jieqiong, she had expected the older girl to still wait for her friend even though she didn't have classes the whole day. (And Nayoung had warned her not to tell Jieqiong about that.)

 

Jieqiong was confused with her friend leaving that fast. She couldn't believe that Eunwoo would abandon her just like that. But she forgot all about that when she saw who was standing outside their classroom. Im Nayoung.

 

Nayoung hasn't seen her yet, maybe because of the large group of students that are walking along the hallway. But Jieqiong can see her perfectly from afar.

 

And her eyes did not even fail to see that small nod and smile that she gave Chaeyeon, when the latter passes by in front of her. 

 

Okay. What was that? Isn't she supposed to be with that girl? Jieqiong shakes her head. She wonders why she even cares about them.

 

"Unnie, what are you doing here?" Jieqiong asks when she approaches Nayoung. The latter doesn't answer, but reaches for her bag instead. With Nayoung's strength, Jieqiong wasn't able to prevent Nayoung from carrying her bag.

 

Of course, that doesn't fail to confuse Jieqiong even more. Nayoung doesn't usually do this.

 

Nayoung proceeds to walk, but Jieqiong stays there, in that exact same spot. Realizing that the younger girl didn't follow her, she stops and looks over her shoulder.

 

"I was waiting for you." Nayoung finally answers her question.

 

"But I told you, you didn't have to."

 

"I wanted to."

 

-

 

Nayoung and Jieqiong continue to walk in silence, with both of them occasionally stealing glances to the other. Jieqiong's backpack was still with the older girl, Nayoung wearing only one strap that makes her look cooler than ever. Her books are also carried by Nayoung, too. 

 

Jieqiong tries to ignore the thought that they, once again, look like girlfriends. Especially with Nayoung carrying her things like that. Why is Nayoung being like this? Jieqiong doesn't have an idea.

 

When they have reached the younger girl's dorm, Nayoung asked if she can walk her up to her room. Jieqiong refuses. But Nayoung being Nayoung, she doesn't easily back down.

 

Unknown to the younger girl, Nayoung is having a chaos within her. She has been wanting to tell Jieqiong her real feelings, but she just doesn't know how. And today, she's been acting different with her, she wonders if Jieqiong can even notice that.

 

"Thanks, unnie." Jieqiong says quietly when they have reached the door of her room and reaches for her things, with Nayoung hesitatingly handing them to her.

 

Jieqiong was about to turn the knob of her door when Nayoung stopped her.

 

"Wait!"

 

Jieqiong turns around, facing Nayoung. Nayoung stared straight into her eyes, saying nothing for a while. The younger girl raises her eyebrows, signaling Nayoung to say what she wanted to say.

 

What Nayoung does is something that she did not really expect.

 

Nayoung slowly leans in to kiss her, but before their lips can even touch, Jieqiong pushes her gently.

 

"No."

 

"I'm sorry." Nayoung steps back, looking at the ground. She shouldn't have done it. She shouldn't have tried it, knowing that Jieqiong might not even feel the same towards her. God, she just ruined her friendship with Jieqiong.

 

"Not until you're over her." The Chinese girl's words come out as a whisper, but Nayoung still heard it. What Jieqiong doesn't understand is why Nayoung is being like this when it's obvious that she has Chaeyeon. But maybe, maybe they're not actually back together?

 

Meanwhile, I'm over her is what Nayoung wanted to say. But looking at Jieqiong's eyes, her eyes that seem to be hurt, Nayoung just ran out of words to say.

 

"Good night." is what Nayoung ended up saying. Jieqiong's eyes looked more hurt than ever, and Nayoung didn't even fail to notice that.

 

And so Nayoung takes one step closer, lessening the distance between them. She then leans forward and presses her lips onto Jieqiong's forehead.

 

"You should rest. We'll talk tomorrow."

 

-

 

It's Saturday. 

 

Nayoung wakes up at 5am, something that she has never done before. As soon as she opened her eyes, she knew that today is going to be the day that she tells Jieqiong.

 

She's hoping for the best, of course. Whatever happens, Nayoung doesn't really care anymore. As long as Jieqiong knows what she feels.

 

And she also hopes that Jieqiong will not hate her after she tells her.

 

-

 

Jieqiong is having a hard time going back to sleep. Her roommate woke her up just to tell her that she was going home. And now, 10 minutes before 7, Jieqiong lays on her bed, staring at the ceiling, without even a slight chance of falling asleep.

 

Out of boredom, she decides to take a quick shower. And while wearing her clothes, she hears someone knocking on her door.

 

She frowns. Who would be even awake at this hour? (Well, technically, she is.) After debating with herself whether she would open the door or not, she finally gives in and goes to open the door.

 

"Hi." A girl in hoodie, holding a paper bag directly in front of Jieqiong's face, surprises her. "I made breakfast."

 

"Nayoung unnie? Why are you here?" Jieqiong asks, her voice still evident of surprise. She then watches Nayoung let herself in her room. "And why are you even awake?"

 

"I made breakfast." Nayoung repeats with a blank expression on her face. "And by that, I mean, I made the ahjumma outside the campus cook our breakfast."

 

Jieqiong laughs at Nayoung's attempt of a joke, hitting the girl's shoulder. "You're cute." She immediately blushes when she realized what she just said. "So what made you sacrifice your precious sleep this morning? Is it that important?"

 

"You..." Nayoung gives her a small smile that makes Jieqiong blush even more. "You over sleep any day, Jieqiong."

 

"And I wanted to apologize about last night." She later adds.

 

"Last night?" Jieqiong was confused for a moment, then she remembers how they almost kissed last night and how she stopped Nayoung that time.

 

"Yeah, and about that..." Nayoung sits down on Jieqiong's bed, with Jieqiong doing the same. She takes a deep breath before she continues talking. "I don't think first love never dies."

 

"Okay?" Jieqiong is still confused. She wonders why Nayoung is telling this to her. 

 

"Because if it never dies... then I wouldn't fall in love with you." Nayoung may sound smooth, but her heart feels like it's going to explode anytime soon.

 

Jieqiong just blinks, trying to understand every single word. It was taking her a long time to process the older girl's words, making Nayoung more nervous than ever.

 

"I just- I just really love you, okay?" Nayoung stares straight into Jieqiong's eyes, hoping that she will understand her now. "And if it's making you uncomfortable, I can -"

 

"You confuse me," Jieqiong cuts her off. "You say that you love me but you're with Chaeyeon."

 

"I was," Nayoung corrects her. "Two years ago."

 

Before Jieqiong could even ask more questions, Nayoung decided to tell her everything. Jieqiong listened quietly, and as time passed by, everything started to make sense to her.

 

"So do you really love me?" Jieqiong asks with an annoying smile on her face.

 

"Yeah."

 

"And I love you, too." She says it with tears of joy forming in her eyes. "What are you going to do about that?"

 

Nayoung smirks before she gently cups Jieqiong's face with her hands and pulls her for a kiss. Their eyes close as their lips move against each other. Both of them pouring their emotions that they were not able to express before. 

 

-

 

Both girls are peacefully lying on Jieqiong's bed, with Nayoung wrapping her arm around the waist of the beauty next to her and Jieqiong burying her face into her chest.

 

Nayoung was about to fall asleep when she hears Jieqiong say something that she didn't understand.

 

"What?" She asks in her sleepy voice and pats Jieqiong's waist lightly. The other girl then pulls away and smiles.

 

"I said, we forgot to eat our breakfast-"

 

"-that I made."

 

"Yeah, yeah, our breakfast that you made."

 

The sound of Jieqiong's giggles made Nayoung smile and pull her closer. She doesn't mind forgetting to eat breakfast when she has Jieqiong in her arms. 

 

 

Nayoung is not a morning person. She hates waking up early in the morning. But she definitely won't mind doing that if it is for Jieqiong. Jieqiong over sleep any day, remember?

 

 

- END -

 

There you go! I hope you liked it even though it's really long. I actually didn't know where I was going with this so pls forgive me. Hahahahahahaha and i ship nayoung and chaeyeon too so I hope you didn't mind the nachae here hahahaha spread the napink love~~~ comments are well-appreciated! thank u so much