Start and Final

The Wind Prince

"Lady Jing."

I sigh mentally before conjuring up a smile and turn around from where I have been poring over a large History book. Damon, the right-hand man of my prince, is standing at the door, staring at me with a gentle, fatherly gaze.

"Prince Sehun would like you to join him at a celebration Dionysus is holding."

I nod in acknowledgment and he mentions that we will be leaving in the next hour. Then, he bows before leaving the room. I let out a loud sigh, standing from my study table. I know it isn't Sehun's idea for me to join him. It never is. Damon, however, almost makes me join Sehun in whatever event he has to attend.

I walk over to my closet, once again feeling overwhelmed by the array of luxurious dresses that I have. I blindly reach for any one and get ready for the celebration. As the companion of a prince, I have to be dressed like royalty. By the time I leave my chamber, I am dressed in a royal blue silk dress, jewels and gold adorning my ears, neck, and hands. Even on my hair, I have a headband that sparkles from the gemstones and diamonds on them.

The moment I step out, lady Leah falls in step with me. I turn to smile at her. She is a regal yet strict woman who is conservative with her words. Though she doesn't talk much, I still enjoy her presence. She is like a mother figure to me; she makes me feel calm and safe.

"Dionysus is the god of wine," lady Leah brings up, glancing at me. "So you should know what kind of celebration you'll be going to."

I chuckle at the stress she made on celebration. "Thank you, lady Leah. I'll stay sober."

"It's not about you staying sober, little one," she sighs in a motherly manner. We round the corner and see Sehun waiting at the end of the hallway with Damon. I notice lady Leah narrowing her eyes on the wind prince. "It's about whether or not people around you will stay sober. And your prince do not particularly care for your wellbeing."

It's true. But hearing it from someone else is different. It hurts. So much more than when I tell myself that. Because they can see just how much Sehun cares for me — or the lack of it. I don't even know what I am doing here in his palace when I am only a vulnerable human being and he has other deity playmates to spend time with.

"I'll take care of myself, don't worry," I murmur, swallowing that lump in my throat.

Lady Leah seems to have more to say but we have already reached the prince. So she sighs and nods before stepping away from us. Damon bows and takes a step back, leaving Sehun and I together. The wind prince doesn't even acknowledge my presence.

"The chariot's ready," he mentions curtly, already walking towards the huge gates of the palace, his strides long and his pace brisk.

I only barely manage to keep up. The chariot is already waiting when we step out — a white and gold carriage attached to the reins of a white pegasus. Sehun easily gets into the carriage. I grab the sideboard for balance and hike my dress as I climb up with difficulty. The moment I get in, the pegasus takes flight and Sehun assists by controlling the winds.

We get to where we are supposed to be within a short span of time, the chariot coming to a stop outside the house of the wine god. Sehun steps off the carriage, already making his way up the steps to greet Dionysus. I help myself down as carefully and delicately as I can before making my way to the front, bowing to the pegasus to thank him for his service. His front hoove lifts and his head dips in a salute. I smile and reach out to nuzzle his nose.

"Jing!"

I jump when I hear Sehun barking out my name, even the creature whinnies. I turn around to see Sehun glaring at me with Dionysus next to him, smiling just as he always is. Quickly, I walk up the steps, almost tripping on my dress at the last step. But just before I fall flat on my face, someone catches me. I gasp in shock, my heart racing. I turn my head and see a girl, eyes round, as she looks at me in worry.

"Are you okay?"

I nod, giving her a small smile. "Thank you for saving my life."

She laughs and lets go of my elbow. We walk up the steps together while she introduces herself. "I'm Nayeon."

I introduce myself just as we get to Sehun and Dionysus. We curtsy and bow to the god of wine, who chuckles heartily. I glance at Sehun and notice that he has a knit in his brows, his jaw clenched. He is not in a good mood.

"Sehun?" Nayeon whispers to me as we walk behind the men, who are entering the palace of Dionysus. "The new god of winds?"

"He just goes by the wind prince," I tell her softly. "He doesn't like being called a god."

"Why not?"

I shrug. "Responsibilities."

Nayeon purses her lips. "And what relationship do you have with him?"

I open my mouth to answer her, only to realise that I have no idea what I am to him. A lover, like what Damon thinks I am? No, not when he doesn't treat me like one. He barely even gives acknowledgment to my presence. Maybe I am merely a toy, a prisoner. A prisoner of the wind prince.

"I—"

"Girl, what would you like to have?"

I snap my head up to Dionysus, who is staring at me. I glance to Sehun and notice that he already has a goblet in his hand, filled with what seems like red wine. His eyes are roaming about the place, looking for new playmates, I'm sure.

Knowing it is disrespectful to turn down a god, I smile diplomatically, "Just something light, please."

"No ambrosia for the human girl," Sehun mutters dismissively, his eyes following a lady with her blonde hair piled on top of her head, her voluptuous body attracting his attention.

There is a reason why ambrosia is known to be the drink of the gods. Mortals cannot drink ambrosia unless we want the goodness of the honey liquid to burn our insides and kill us. And for Sehun to remember that fact, to watch out for my longevity, I feel my cheeks warming and my heart racing. 

"Oh, alright then," Dionysus sighs, like it is a pity that I cannot have any of that honey liquid the gods enjoy.

He hands me a goblet he conjured out of thin air, already filled with red wine. I take it and thank him politely. He then shifts his attention to Nayeon. I take a small sip of the wine, humming in appreciation. Well, he has to be the god of wine for a reason.

"Dionysus!" comes a loud, excited voice.

The said god turns his head to the entrance of the palace to see that the god of war is here. A wide smile takes over his features as he says a quick Help yourselves and leaves to attend to Ares. I follow Sehun like a lost puppy, feeling too vulnerable in the midst of all the gods and deities alike.

"You're human?" I glance to the side to see that Nayeon is still by my side. Taking the look on my face as a negative one, she flusters, "I just— I have never heard of mortals being with gods — at least, not like this. Not up here in Olympus."

I don't say anything— What can I say to that, really?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to—"

"It's fine," I cut her off with a polite smile. "I have to be with my prince, maybe we can talk again later."

She knows that I am just getting rid of her. She looks remorseful when she says, "I just want to be your friend..."

Sehun frowns and glances at the nymph, taking in her innocent features, wondering if he has seen her before. I don't notice when his eyes flit to the look on my face, already developing a soft spot for the nymph. He stares a bit longer than necessary now that he is drinking in the features of my face.

"I'll catch up with you before I..." Sehun darts his eyes away when I glance at him. I sigh softly when I see him his lips as he stares at another woman, this time with red hair and blue eyes. I correct my statement, "Before we leave. Promise."

"You know we take promises very seriously here on Olympus, don't you?" Nayeon teases.

I laugh softly and nod. "I do." Just then, Sehun starts walking away again. As I keep up with him, moving further away from the girl, I tell her, "I'll look for you!"

She nods her head and beams at me, waving her hand. I follow Sehun to a table with more women than men. He greets everyone there and is invited to sit with them. There is an empty spot next to him but I stay standing, unsure of whether or not I am allowed to sit. Afterall, I am only a mere mortal in the midst of gods and goddesses. Even Sehun is ignoring my presence as he engages in a conversation with another goddess. So I stay behind him, trying to blend in and be a wallflower amongst the beautiful people around me.

"Why aren't you sitting?"

My eyes widen for a split second before I regain composure and turn around slowly. A man is staring at me, an eyebrow raised. He is a handsome, middle-aged looking man though I know he has to be centuries old. Having too much free time here as Sehun's nothing, I have learnt a lot about the gods and goddesses here in Olympus through the History book in the library of Sehun's palace. I recognise this man as Kratos, the god of power and strength.

Immediately, I curtsy deeply in greeting. When I look up at him, he is smiling, his eyes twinkling. I answer to his question quickly before he thinks I am being rude.

"I am but a mere mortal, god Kratos," I murmur quietly so that I don't draw anymore attention to myself. "I do not deserve to sit with the gods."

"Well, then I'm sure you would prefer taking a stroll with me to the garden?"

I glance at Sehun, who has completely forgotten about me as he laughs with his new companions, enjoying the celebration with the girls and wine. I suppose I can't just turn down a god and Sehun wouldn't even notice my absence. So I smile at Kratos and nod my head. He starts walking off, a little too slow of a gait for a god, just so I can keep up. Taking one last glance at Sehun, I follow Kratos towards a doorway that leads to the back garden and away from Sehun and his new friends.

"So, what is a mortal like you doing in Olympus?" Kratos starts when we step out into the relatively quiet and very empty hallway. He glances to the side, only to frown when he notices that I am walking a step behind him. "Come walk with me, my dear girl."

I hesitate. Mortals are not even allowed to step foot into a house of god yet here I am. I shouldn't test my luck any further, in case I make a wrong move and anger a god. But Kratos is gracious and generous when he smiles warmly at me.

"I have enough servants following behind me in my palace, I don't need another here. Come on," he tilts his head, beckoning me over.

I have no choice but to join him. I fall in step with the god, feeling a little shy and embarrassed to be right next to him. He talks to me like a friend as we walk to the garden. Even when we get to our destination, he still speaks to me like an acquaintance, like I am not a mortal. For the first time, I feel comfortable in the presence of a god. Even with Sehun, I feel inferior — so, so inferior. Yet Kratos is nice and amicable, not even taking into account that I am a mere mortal and not of gold blood. Actually, I'm not even a half blood. But here he is, talking to me like I am a companion, not a servant. And unlike Sehun, he treats me like I am something, like my words and opinions weigh something, like I am a lady and not an inanimate object. 

When we return to the celebration inside, the noise level has greatly increased and the gods and deities are becoming more rowdy. We had been away for only an hour and everything and everyone has turned chaotic. At once, my eyes fly to where I last saw Sehun, only to find that he is no longer there. 

"Jing!— Oh, god Kratos, h-hello..."

Kratos and I turn to the side where Nayeon is bowing to the god next to me. Kratos chuckles in good nature, relieving Nayeon of her greeting. She grins and links arms with me. I notice that her cheeks are pink and her lips are stained with a burgundy shade from the red wine, probably similar to the colour of my own lips. 

"Let's go to—"

I interrupt her. "Do you know where Sehun is?" 

She frowns. Kratos raises an eyebrow, "The god of—"

I nod quickly, at the same time correcting him. "The wind prince." 

"I don't—"

Nayeon is interrupted by me again, this time due to my whimper when I feel a rough hand grabbing onto my elbow. He is so close that I can feel his warm breath on my ear. He smells like ambrosia and wine. I am frozen in my spot and taking the surprised look on my face as a bad sign, Kratos clenches his jaw and steps up. Even Nayeon looks startled.

"God of winds," he says as a greeting, though it sounds curt. Sehun hums dismissively. "I am Kra—"

"I really don't care—" 

"I think we should be going back," I speak up, stopping Sehun from saying anymore. I can already tell that Kratos is already reaching his limit. Putting down my goblet, I bow to Kratos on behalf of Sehun. "I'm sorry about what he said. He really doesn't know better." 

"Then he shouldn't have drank more than he could take," Kratos mutters, still glaring at the prince behind me. 

Sehun, not completely drunk, knows what a confrontation is when he sees one. I purse my lips from making a sound when he tightens his hold on me. Then, he does something that I have been avoiding doing the entire night. He starts talking down to the god of power and strength. 

"Do you know who I am?" Sehun says, his eyes blazing. He looks a bit too sober for someone who has drank a lot. But then again, he is also a god. He probably isn't even drunk. "I don't think that's how you talk to a god—"

"Prince Sehun, stop," I hiss, grabbing onto his arm. He is going to anger Kratos and I really don't want to see the end result of that. 

The wind prince tears his arm away from me rudely. Before he even gets to continue his rant, Kratos steps forward, hovering over Sehun intimidatingly. Sehun is tall and he has a strong build. But Kratos has a bigger, stronger physique. Not to mention his beard that obviously shows how much older he is than the wind prince. Sehun is just like a small boy compared to him. 

"That is not how you treat a lady," Kratos growls in a menacing tone.

My eyes widen. Is he really defending me now? No god has ever done that for me. Or rather, I have never had the privilege (or bad luck?) to encounter such a situation that calls for a god to fight for me. 

"She is mine."

My heart pounds when I hear Sehun saying that with a possessive tone in his voice, almost like a wolf growling at another to keep out of his territory. It is so stupid that I have somehow developed feelings for this man who treats me nothing like a person but merely a toy. I don't even know how it turned out this way. Maybe it was when he first came into my chamber that night all those years ago, touching and filling me in places sacred to a woman, staring at me with those dark eyes that didn't seem to look at me as impassively as how he normally did, fulfilling my craving for a pleasuring touch. 

I hate that I am putty in his hands even when I am aware that he does not care for me. I hate myself for being so giving and loving to him who treats me like nothing but a toy, a prisoner. Someone he takes for granted.

"How I treat her does not concern you," Sehun snarls. Then he turns to me, cocking his head, a smirk on his lips. "Am I right, my darling?" he coos in a mockingly sweet way. 

"That's enough!" Kratos roars. Always hungry for drama, the entire dining hall quietens down as the gods and deities focus their attention on us. Kratos' eyes flash an amber orange, a sign that means he is going to decree a curse or blessing. And in this case, I do not think Sehun will be receiving the latter. "As the god of strength and power—" I notice the recognition in Sehun's face. He knows he has really messed up this time, "—I will strip the god of the winds of his—"

"Wait, Kratos!" I blurt, stepping forward anxiously. The god stops, pinning his fiery eyes on me. I gulp and glance at Sehun, who is staring at me with an unreadable gaze. "I-I'm sorry for interrupting you a-and I'm really honoured that you would defend a mere mortal like me. But I... I'm pleading you to turn a blind eye to the nonchalance and impertinence of the wind prince for he has drank a bit too much tonight." 

He stares at me, evaluating me. So to prove my sincerity, I fall to my knees, bowing my head. I can hear soft gasps echoing through the room. The gods of Olympus are prideful beings who do not just beg on their knees like this. If I hadn't intervened, I know that Sehun would have received the curse from Kratos with his head held high to save his dignity and pride from breaking. 

"I'll do anything if you would just let my prince go," I say quietly as I look up at the god of strength and power, eyes pleading. "I'll also take his curse for I am only a human girl. I have nothing to lose... Please, god Kratos." 

I drop my head again, hoping for him to feel my sincerity and let Sehun go. It isn't just about Sehun losing his power and therefore losing his title of being the god of winds. I just cannot bear to see Sehun without his wind. I know how much he enjoys playing with his power, if not for the little whirlpool of wind he makes sometimes in the garden when he thinks no one is looking, sending fallen petals and dried leaves in a beautiful vortex. Those times may be rare but I don't want them to become non-existent. 

"I will consent to your plea." 

I snap my head up to gape at Kratos. His eyes are no longer burning with anger and vengence. Instead, he is looking at me with dark, brooding eyes. 

"But I want you to return with me." 

"No—"

I pretend I don't hear Sehun's angry objection. "For how long, may I ask?"

"Until Hades has to take you away," Kratos murmurs quietly. 

"Jing—" 

I bob my head, not wanting to hear what Sehun has to say to me. I don't think I can bear to hear his voice, even. Kratos holds his hand out to me. I stare at his big palm, calloused from fighting years and years of war. Sehun's hands are calloused and rough too but as I slip my hand into Kratos' open palm, I find that I prefer holding the hand of the wind prince, no matter how infrequent I get to hold it.

Kratos pulls me up from the ground easily. Without another word, he starts walking away from the celebration and towards the exit of the dining hall. I feel my heart falling with every step I take further and further away from the comfort of my prince. Because despite his aloofness and indifference towards me, he is the only god I know in Olympus, the only god that I have been living for. 

I turn my head when we are a few steps away from the exit. The gods are back to drinking and having fun, already forgetting about the drama we had caused. But in the midst of all of them, Nayeon and Sehun are standing unmoving, just staring at Kratos and I leaving. I swallow the lump in my throat when I see Sehun clenching his fists, his brown eyes brewing with emotions I cannot make out. 

I may not be able to enjoy the sight of the wind prince playing with his powers anymore, but at least he gets to keep them. 

 

 

I feel uncomfortable and unfamiliar in this new house. I have spent the past four days just walking around the house of Kratos, trying to familiarise myself with the interior. Kratos is a nice god, too. He takes care of me and makes sure that I have eaten well. Despite his affectionate personality, I find that it is even harder for me to forget Sehun. He keeps appearing in my mind, especially when I notice the curtains blowing from the wind that is entering through the open window. 

Love really does make one stupid, I realise. I still can't believe I gave up myself, just to save the happiness of someone I love, someone who doesn't even care about me, someone who doesn't even see as anything but a pest in his house. However, even though I miss him and his cold personality, I don't cry. I don't feel hurt that I am no longer close to him. Because this is better than staying in his palace, loving him silently and watching women roam in and out his chambers clad in nothing but y lingerie. Because this way, I know that he is not purposefully ignoring my presence to attend to his playmates. 

I am leaving the bathroom in my chamber, securing my bathrobe as I look up, only to let out a short scream. My hand flies to my mouth, the other to my chest, feeling my heart thudding against my ribcage. Sehun is standing by the bed, staring at me with those brooding eyes that always gets me flustered and shy every time they fall upon me. 

"P-Prince Sehun..." I gasp, still shocked by his visit. "What—"

"Do you have anything to bring away from this place?" he mutters, cutting off my question. I frown but shake my head. He nods and clears his throat, averting his eyes. "Let's go, then." 

"Go...?" I breathe, unsure. 

"Go home," Sehun murmurs, taking a step closer to me. "You don't belong here." My mouth opens but I realise that I don't know what to say, or ask. Sehun sighs softly. "I talked to Kratos. Apologised. Made an oath. You don't have to stay here — you can live in my house." He finishes, his eyes not leaving mine. I don't even notice that he had been coming closer with every word he said. When I don't say anything but gape at him, he adds hastily as if to regain his pride and dignity, "Or not. I'm not... I'm not begging you to return, I just... thought you'd prefer—"

"Yes," I say breathlessly, nodding my head. I do prefer the home of the wind prince. "I'll just change—"

"It's okay," Sehun mumbles, eyes still on mine. I wonder if he even realises that I am in nothing but a silk bathrobe. "You look fine." 

I'm pretty sure he doesn't. "But I just—"

"Stepped out of a bath," he continues. "I know." He doesn't elaborate but holds his hand out instead. "Let's go. Before Kratos thinks I'm forcing you to leave with me." 

 

 

I sit at the dining table, eyes lowered shyly. It is just Sehun and I in the room. But that is the thing. Sehun never ate with me. I always, always sit alone and he either eats before or after I am done. This is the first time I am dining with the wind prince and my body is not being kind to me. My fingers are trembling and my heart is pounding in my chest. 

Sehun clears his throat awkwardly. I don't catch his cue. He coughs in another attempt to attract my attention, but I am too preoccupied with my thoughts to understand what he wants me to do with all his clearing of throat and coughing. 

"Huijing," he finally says, quietly, gently. I snap my head up, eyes wide. He never calls me by my full name like this. Sehun's Adam apple bobs in his throat as he clears his throat again. "Thank you. For saving me from Kratos." 

I blush and shake my head, going back to playing with the almond bits on my plate to save myself from the embarrassment. "A human girl like me can give herself up because she has no value in Olympus. But the wind prince can't," I tell him softly. "You still have to manage the winds for both gods and mortals." I look up with a small smile. "And you're doing great as the new god of winds." 

Sehun stares at me, his eyebrows slowly forming a frown, his eyes boring into my face as if trying to read me. I look away, feeling too vulnerable under his intense gaze. He has never looked at me before, much less stare at me like this. 

"Prince Sehun." 

I turn to the door where there had been knock. Sehun tears his eyes away from my face and allows Damon to interrupt our dinner. When the advisor opens the large doors, there is a girl next to him. I recognise her to be Nayeon. Her eyes slide to me uncaringly before they widen, gaping at me like she has seen a ghost. I give her a tentative smile. 

"Prince Sehun," the girl greets distractedly, curtsying a little. 

Sehun hums. "What are you here to see me for?" 

"I..." she hesitates. Then she wears a happy smile, facing me. "I'm here to see my friend. I hope it's okay with you, prince Sehun." 

I turn to Sehun, who is already staring at me. He raises an eyebrow just so slightly but I understand his question in his action. He is asking if I want be with her and if he should allow Nayeon to. I nod my head. He sighs softly and tips his head in the nymph's direction. 

"Thank you, prince Sehun." I whisper, standing from my seat. 

He shakes his head. He watches me with his chin resting on his palm, his elbow on the arm rest of his seat, his eyes following my every movement. I feel a little uncomfortable because even with my back to him, I can sense his eyes on me. So just before I get to the door, I turn my head to see that Sehun is staring at me, his fingers resting on his cheek, the tip of his last finger between his teeth. My heart skips a beat when his lips tilt into a small, barely even distinguishable smile. Quickly, I turn away, not wanting him to see how red I have gotten. 

That night, I stay up thinking about whether the ghost of a smile I saw on Sehun's lips was just a figment of my imagination, or if it was real, and genuine. 

 

 

It has been a month since the rescue and I can feel that something has changed between us — between Sehun and I. Or rather, something in Sehun has changed.

I no longer eat alone for my meals, I no longer only have Damon or lady Leah to talk to, and I no longer step out of my chamber to see promiscuous girls leaving Sehun's quarters. The wind prince is spending more time with me, giving me more attention and care just as I have always craved. His quiet actions always makes the little organ in my chest race and I never fail to wonder if that is another power of his, since he is the son of Aphrodite, the goddess of love, too.

This morning after my breakfast with Sehun, I am about to leave the palace when I hear someone calling out my name. I stop, wondering if I heard wrong. Because that voice certainly doesn't sound like lady Leah or Damon. I turn on my heels and see that Sehun is walking towards me from the other end of the hallway. With every step he takes closer, my heart beats faster and louder.

"Where are you going?" Sehun questions when he is standing before me, an eyebrow raised. "And without lady Leah..." 

"Nayeon is waiting for me outside," I tell him delightfully. It's always exciting to meet my only friend here in Olympus. "She's bringing me to Alcyonian lake." 

"Alcyonian Lake?" he repeats, the corners of his lips dipping into a pursed frown. "Do you know what lake that is?" 

I shake my head, a little confused by the brooding look on his face. "But Nayeon says the lake is nice." I glance behind him, where Damon is already walking towards us, probably to hurry Sehun for his daily routine. "I should go," I smile politely at him. "Nayeon's waiting." 

I don't notice Sehun gesturing for Damon to stay back, since his hand is by his side and he hadn't even turn his head to acknowledge the advisor. Sehun takes a step closer to me, averting my attention to him. 

"I'll walk you out," he murmurs, tilting his head in the direction of entrance of the palace. 

"But you have to—"

"Come on," he cuts me off, slipping his arm around my waist, turning me to face the doors. 

My heart races. He rests his hand on the small of my back, gently pushing me forward to start walking. I press the flat of my tongue against the roof of my mouth, too nervous to say anything. His hand feels warm and I can feel the tips of his fingers resting comfortably on my back. Sehun doesn't say anything either and in the silence, we eventually reach the huge oak doors of the palace where a servant lady has opened the door for Nayeon. She glances at the man next to me and bows to show respect to the wind prince just as the servant does. 

Sehun grunts in acknowledgment, dismissing them of their greeting. The servant maid takes her leave while Nayeon is standing before us, looking nervous and shy. I would feel nervous and shy too, if I were in her place. Actually, even in my place, I already feel nervous and shy.

I turn to Sehun, aware that I am keeping him from his daily session where he listens to the prayers of the mortals and do what he deems should be done. Though those sessions always end in a short spand of 15 minutes. Afterall, he prefers spending time with his playmates to thinking of mortals.

"Thank you for walking me—" 

"I would like to join you girls on this trip to the Alcyonian lake," Sehun announces, interrupting me. His eyes are on Nayeon, piercing and intimidating. 

Nayeon stutters, her eyes wide, "P-Prince Sehun..." 

He raises an eyebrow at her. "Will it be too much of an intrusion?"

She gapes at him before flickering nervous eyes to me. I wonder if it really is a big deal that Sehun wants to join us, but I brush it off with the understanding that he is the god of the winds afterall. I try to ease her nerves by questioning Sehun and his schedule. He might be too busy to even join us.

"What about the mortals?" I ask, lifting my head to look up at him. When he looks down at me, my heart races even more at the reminder of our obvious height difference. "Their prayers are waiting for you." 

"I'm sure I can see to it when I'm back." As if to prove his point, he turns back to his advisor, "Isn't that right, Damon?" Damon nods immediately, a wide smile on his lips, glad that we will finally be spending time together, I'm sure. Sehun faces me again. "Do you not want me there?" 

"No, of course not," I say firmly, shaking my head. "It would be nice if you could join us," I whisper bashfully. 

Sehun keeps his gaze on me for a short moment. His expression stays unreadable and stoic but his hand is sliding across the small of my back in a caress, a heart fluttering gesture that has my knees weak. Nayeon, now with no other reason to turn down the prince, gulps nervously. 

"Of course not, prince Sehun," she murmurs, dipping her head in reverence. "We would love for you to join us." 

And so we walk out of the palace, now on our way on the outing. With the god of winds joining us, we get to sit his chariot with the white pegasus and his winds bringing us to our destination. The ride is awkward and silent and hence, I make an attempt in small talk, hoping to dissipate some of this tension.

"Nayeon says Alcyonian lake is pretty." I mention to Sehun before smiling at Nayeon, who looks surprised and somewhat horrified that I am saying this.

Sehun fixes his eyes on the wood nymph, expression hard and eyes piercing. "Did she?" 

If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he is sneering at her. I glance at Nayeon, wondering if I should be honest and say yes. But she did tell me that. So why does her face look as white as a sheet? Hearing no response from me, Sehun looks at me, his eyebrow raised just so slightly. I nod uncertainly. He hums. I wonder what that means. 

The conversation ends there, making it even more awkward for the rest of the ride. I regret even saying anything. So I stay silent as I enjoy the view as we fly to the Alcyonian lake, anticipating to see different varieties of flowers that sparkle in the sun, just like how the other pretty lakes in Olympus are like. But as we cover the distance between the house of Sehun to the lake, confusion falls upon me. 

The further we go and the closer we get to our destination, the grasses and plants get sparser and sparser. The sky is getting darker too. But when I turn around, I see that the sky from where we came from is a lot brighter than the sky here. And the darkness isn't natural. I don't see the moon, or the stars. The sky is completely dark, so much so that it looks artificial. I hope we're just passing by just to get to the nice place that is the Alcyonian lake.

I glance at Nayeon, who looks as guilty as she is nervous. I flicker my eyes to Sehun, whose eyebrows have scrunched up even more in a frown than they were before. As if sensing my gaze, he tears his eyes away from the view up ahead to look at me. I wonder what he sees in my eyes and in my expression. Because the longer he stares at me, the more his frown deepens. He tilts his head subtly but I notice the miniscule action. I move closer to him, our arms brushing. Despite asking me to come over, he doesn't say anything. All he does is stare at me.

So I speak first. "How long more until we get there?" I ask. Sehun shifts to face me a little bit more, raising an eyebrow. "Will we get there after we get out of this place?" 

Sehun turns his head to the front again. "We're already here." 

I frown, looking in the direction he is looking at. He must have seen the look of confusion on my face. Well, he should. Because I am only staring at a glistening black lake, the waters not rippling or showing any signs of life. I am puzzled. Very puzzled. Because there is literally no sign of life here, no wind except for Sehun's breeze. As our chariot slows down, I notice the pegasus whinnying in anxiety. 

"Here?" I whisper in bewilderment, more to myself than to Sehun. 

"Is this place pretty?" Sehun murmurs, glancing at me before looking to the nymph when he catches my eye. 

I turn to look at Nayeon, who is avoiding eye contact, merely just looking down at her feet. I notice her wringing her fingers and gnawing at her bottom lip. Sehun steps forward and I try not to think that he is protecting me when he sidesteps a little to stand before me. Sehun doesn't care for me, he doesn't need to protect me.

He turns to look at me. "Did Nayeon tell you exactly what lake this is?" I swallow at the serious expression on his face yet his gaze soft. I shake my head. "This, my darling, is Alcyonian lake, or better known as the bottomless lake." 

"What?" I croak out, suddenly breathless, not just because of what he is saying but also because of the endearment he had used. 

Sehun tilts his head slightly. Then he faces Nayeon again as he tells me, "This is another way for people to enter the Underworld without having to die first." Hearing my gasp, he turns around again, his eyes gentle and his voice soft. "This is not a pretty lake, Jing." 

"But Nayeon..." I trail off as I look at the nymph, hoping for her to say something, to defend herself. "Maybe... Maybe she mixed up the names of lakes." 

Sehun raises an eyebrow. "No one just mixes up the name of the Alcyonian lake with another lake." I gasp when he suddenly takes a long stride towards Nayeon, also causing her to snap her head up anxiously. She looks afraid. "Tell me honestly. What was your motive of wanting to bring the mortal girl here?" Sehun growls, his eyes flashing a light grey for a moment before the wind around us strengthens. 

My hair is flying crazily in the strong wind. I keep my eyes on Sehun as he glares down at Nayeon while she looks away, obviously fearful of him. I don't know what to do or say now. I tried helping Nayeon to get out of this situation even though I have a bad feeling about her motive of wanting to bring me here. I jump when Sehun barks an order to the white pegasus. 

"Bring us back." 

 

 

"Prince Sehun has become more responsible as a god," lady Leah says as we walk back to the palace from our short stroll outside.

It has been almost a day since the trip to the Alcyonian lake and I have yet to see Sehun since he brought me back to my chamber while he got Damon to bring Nayeon to another room. I don't know what has become of my friend and even though she might have had the thought of harming me, I really hope she is fine. And from what lady Leah is saying, I think I can keep my hopes up.

"Really?" I smile softly.

I am happy for him. I can tell that lady Leah and Damon are, too. Sehun has never been the god of winds his father was, according to lady Leah. I came here only after Aiolos passed on but I hear that he was a good god who put his job first. So much so that Sehun turned out the way he did with no fatherly love. And for some reason, he inherited the title of being god of winds when his father died. He never took his job seriously, he never cared for the people who prayed to him, so much so that his altar at Mount Olympus is almost collapsing. All he did was stay in with his playmates until just before lunch and then kicked them out so that he could start his day as a god.

But lately, it is obvious that he is changing. He no longer has playmates over. He no longer stays in his chamber until lunch. He no longer takes just a few minutes to deal with the prayers from the mortals. Sehun is taking his job as a god more seriously now and I am glad for him.

But I can also tell that my time is almost up. When I was first brought into Olympus, I was 20. Almost a century later, I am still 20. I have been the same age for the past many years I am here, residing with a god. I knew I had a purpose here, I just didn't know what it was. But now, I think I do. And I think I have now fulfilled the reason of my coming here. I can feel myself getting tired lately even though I never used to feel any hint of exhaustion. Coming back from a long stroll such as what I did with lady Leah wouldn't have made me so sore and drained of energy had it been a few months ago. 

The moment lady Leah brought me back to my chamber, helped me with my bath, and left me to get ready for dinner, I fell on my bed, hoping to catch just a few minutes of shut eye. However, I end up waking up to a feathery touch on my face, making me scrunch up my face. I flutter my eyes open, only to see that it is already nighttime with the moonlight streaming in. My eyes are slowly focusing and my vision is becoming clearer. I wonder if I am dreaming when I see who is next to me.

Sehun is on my bed, under the covers, laying on his side. He is frowning slightly, his lips in a tight line. My heart thunders in my chest when he the side of my face with the tip of his finger, his palm gently grazing my cheek.

"I waited for you at dinner," Sehun says quietly.

I groan, shutting my eyes tightly at my stupidity. "I'm so sorry, prince Sehun, I was—"

"Tired?" I nod my head. Sehun rests his palm on my cheek, his thumb brushing my cheekbone like a fluttering touch. "What did you do that made you so tired?" he questions, frowning. 

"I don't know," I whisper honestly. "I went out for my walk with lady Leah and when I came back I just... knocked out." 

The breeze that follows Sehun around is making the room chillier than it normally is. I lift the blanket, pulling it up to my chin. Sehun notices that action. I gasp when he slides his hand down the side of my body and around my waist. He pulls me in, his arm strongly wrapped around my body, his breath blowing against my forehead. He is helping with making me feel warm but not because of his body heat, but because of what he did that made me blush, so much so that I feel my body heating up.

He is caressing my back, his hand moving up and down in a very calming manner, as he murmurs, "Go back to sleep, darling."

"Prince—"

"Will it kill you to call me by my name?" 

I reply, almost like an automated response, "You're a god and I'm only a—"

"Mere mortal," he finishes. I purse my lips. "But you're my mere mortal, are you not?" I don't say anything. Sehun sighs, smoothing my back. "I would appreciate it if you call me by name."

When I still keep my silence, he sighs softly. He doesn't say anything else either. Instead, with his other hand, he pushes a falling tendril of hair from my face, tucking it behind my ear. I can feel the light breeze he is making caressing my cheek and I swear I hear the soft whistling of a lullaby. I take in a deep breath, flooding my insides with the scent of Sehun — a smell that is light but distinct, sharp but not empowering, manly but also soothing. Within minutes, I find myself falling asleep again, exhaustion finding me again, only this time, with Sehun next to me. 

The next day, I wake up expecting Sehun to be gone, expecting last night to be some kind of very realistic dream. Yet when I open my eyes, I am staring at a beauty mark — one that I am very familiar with, one that my eyes will always constantly look to unconsciously. I glance down and see that my hand is resting on his chest. Then, I notice his fingers moving through my hair, combing my locks, separating the waves. Sehun is still here. With me sleeping on his arm. 

Subtly, I lift my head, wanting to take a peek at Sehun. My nose grazes his sharp jawline, feeling the roughness of his morning stubble. Sehun's fingers stop moving through my hair. He tilts his head, his soft eyes on me. When he sees that I am awake, he doesn't move away. And I am in too much of a shock to back away too, especially when he leans in to kiss my forehead. My throat closes and I barely even feel his fingers moving so that his large hand is still in my hair but his fingers on my cheek so that I do not turn away and reject the morning forehead kiss. 

"Morning," he murmurs, his voice low and very, very husky.

"Good morning," I breathe, my hand unconsciously scrunching his shirt up in my fist. 

"Had a good sleep?"

As he continues to comb through my locks, I bob my head. He hums. My toe twitches and only then do I find that I am resting my bent leg over his, hooking my foot under the calf of his other leg. My heart is racing in my chest and it is getting a little hard to breathe. Slowly, I put pressure on my forearm and lift myself up so that I am not lying on his bicep anymore. I groan softly and rub my eye. Sehun brushes my hair off my shoulder, his finger gently touching my neck. I turn to face him, resting my chin on my shoulder. He curls my hair behind my ear and cups the side of my face. His eyes are twinkling just so slightly, giving me a peek of what is beyond that brooding, unreadable facade he wears. 

"Did you sleep over?" I ask, though my question doesn't come out any louder than a whisper.

As his thumb caresses my cheekbone slowly, he hums in acknowledgment. "Your bed feels a lot warmer than mine."

I let out a breathy chuckle, unconsciously tilting my head to lean into his palm. "Maybe because my bed is smaller." 

The corners of his lips curl just so slightly. The twinkle in his eyes brightens. "Smaller or not, I think I quite like sleeping next to you."

I blush. My cheeks are painted a light pink at his comment and as his touch has emotions, I can feel him adoring me through the caress of his thumb on the apple of my cheek. A long moment of silence passes with Sehun staring at me while I look away, too shy to keep eye contact. 

"Hey," Sehun whispers huskily. "Jing, darling, look at me."

I hold my breath but keep my eyes trained on the silk material of his shirt. So instead, Sehun turns my head gently, making me face him again. He looks serious with his usual stoic expression, though this time, I see guilt and remorse in his eyes. 

"I..." He swallows, obviously unprepared to say whatever he is about to say. Still, he continues as he lets out a deep breath, "I'm sorry for treating you like... like how I did before." He brushes the back of his fingers against my cheek now. "I am really— I have never—"

He stops, obviously frustrated by his lack of his speech. I have never seen such a confused Sehun before, like he doesn't know why he is speechless. I have never seen a more frustrated Sehun either, like his emotions just won't convey into words. I have never seen an embarrassed Sehun such as him before, like he can't believe he, a god, is apologising to a mortal like me. 

"It's okay," I smile at him in encouragement and in appreciation of his apology. "I forgive you, Sehun," I whisper as I feel my cheeks heating up as my smile turns bashful. 

The wind prince stares at me and I watch as his brown eyes slowly morph into a nice shade of grey. His lips are curling slightly into a soft smile, for the first time making its appearance to me. He moves up on his elbow, bringing his face closer to mine. 

"I really don't deserve a mortal such as you," he murmurs, eyes flickering to my lips. I them and I notice his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat as he swallows. "You're so nice to me... Even when I have done nothing good to you, for you..." 

"But neither have you done anything bad to me," I tell him honestly, voice soft.

He lets out a defeated sigh even as he stares at me. This time, his eyes are darting about my features, trying to catch the lie in my words and my expression. When he finds that I am entirely truthful, he rests his gaze on my eyes, giving me a perfect view of his dark grey eyes. I let out a soft squeak when he slips his hand around the side of my neck, his thumb caressing my skin. I hold my breath when he pulls me in closer, so close until our noses are touching. 

"Can I kiss you?" he breathes, sounding serious yet nervous at the same time. 

I can't help it when I let out a breathless chuckle at the thought of a god asking for permission to kiss me. Before I offend him, I quickly nod my head. Sehun doesn't waste any time, but neither does he rush it. He closes the distance between our lips and, for the first time in many years, kisses me. And for the first time since I came to live in the palace of Sehun, I feel love and affection from the owner of the house. 

 

 

"I helped out Hades quite recently," Sehun mentions while we're having breakfast — or rather, brunch.

We spent most of the morning in bed, getting to know each other in the most intimate way. And now, we're getting to know each other in the most conventional way.

"Do you want to go down to see what the Underworld is like?"

Even I can tell that my eyes are sparkling with excitement.

"Yes!" I answer in an exclamation. Remembering my manners though, I drop my head and add, "Please."

Sehun chuckles quietly. "I'll get it arranged," he nods.

"Will you be going with me?" I ask softly, looking up at him.

"Of course."

A wide smile breaks out on my face and I notice Sehun just staring at me, the corners of his lips only curled so slightly. We're just looking at each other, eyes locked, the ghost of a smile adorning his lips and a pink blush on my cheeks.

"Prince Sehun."

I turn around when I hear Damon. He is standing by the opened doors of the dining hall, his hands together as he bows. He speaks when Sehun acknowledges his presence.

"You have a court hearing in ten minutes," Damon reminds the prince.

Then he glances at me. Though brief, I understand the hidden meaning behind his look. The hearing will be about Nayeon. I look at Sehun, waiting for his reply, but he is already nodding his head, not even giving me a glance.

"I'll be right there," he tells the advisor, wiping his mouth with the napkin.

Damon bows and leaves the dining hall, shutting the doors behind him to give Sehun and I our privacy. Sehun stands from his seat and my heart starts beating a little faster, suddenly afraid of what will happen in ten minutes. What is he going to do to Nayeon? Will I end up losing my only friend here in Olympus?

I stare at Sehun with wide eyes when he starts walking towards me. He is looking down at me when he stands next to my chair, his gaze once again guarded and unreadable. My breath hitches when he leans down so that he is at my eye level.

"You'll be okay on your own, won't you?" he murmurs, his warm breath fanning my cheek.

I nod dumbly. He hums as his hand reaches up to caress the back of my head. I hold my breath and he brings my head closer to press his lips on my forehead. It is a brief and light kiss but even when he pulls away, I feel the imprint on my skin, warmth slowly spreading from that spot his lips touched, down to my cheeks. Then he stands again, taking a step back. Without another word, he begins to walk away from me and towards the door.

My heart stops at several intervals, not because of Sehun's sudden subtle sweet actions but also afraid of what will happen to Nayeon. It is a spur of the moment when I call out to Sehun just before he leaves the dining hall. He stops and turns his head to look at me.

"Please be nice to her, Sehun," I murmur softly in a request.

He keeps his eyes on me for a long moment before he clenches his jaw and gives me a small nod of his head, turning away. Sehun leaves me in the dining room alone as I watch his retreating back, on his way to serve Nayeon her punishment.

 

 

I am pacing my chamber, my thumbnail between my teeth. I normally would be going on my daily stroll with lady Leah right about now but she isn't even here to fetch me. Sehun has been in that court room for almost an hour, according to a servant I caught right outside my room just fifteen minutes ago. I am getting more jittery and more antsy the longer he is in that court room. Because he never stays in there for more than half an hour at a time. What is going to happen to Nayeon?

I jump when the door to my chamber opens, causing a small burst of wind to ruffle the curtains. The servants normally knock on the door before they enter, so I turn my head quickly, only to see Sehun slipping into my room. I gape at the tired, frustrated expression on his face. He comes closer until he is standing before me.

"What did you do to Nayeon?" I whisper, afraid of the answer.

"Why?" he murmurs, glancing at my lips when I wet them anxiously.

"Did you do something bad to her?"

"She brought you the Alcyonian lake and you're worried for her?" He frowns.

I swallow. "She's my friend, Sehun..."

"She almost killed you, Jing!" he reminds me, tone a bit too confronting.

Unconsciously, I take a small step back at his unpredictability. He sighs softly and calms down, taking a step towards me, now a lot closer so that our chests are slightly touching.

"Listen, darling," he murmurs, voice soothing. "I just want you to be safe. You're a lot more vulnerable here and I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you. You're mine to protect and keep safe."

I swallow. When did he start worrying over me when he has never done anything more than sparing me a glance before? What exactly happened between us? What did I do to gain his attention and concern? I am not complaining, merely just curious. Did Sehun change because of me? Or was it due to something else?

"What did you do to her?" I ask in a whisper, partly because I am afraid of the answer and partly because I am still thinking about the questions running through my mind.

Sehun doesn't say anything for a long time. All he does is stare at me with that permanent frown on his face. He must have seen my increasingly concerned expression because he finally answers.

"I didn't send her to her death, if that's what you're thinking," he mutters.

It honestly feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Being only a mortal here in the land of where only gods and deities live, I do not have an effect on anything up here. Not even on what I would like to eat. I always eat whatever Sehun feels like eating, not just because he is the master of the house but also because he is a god and I am only a mortal, the lowest being in the hierarchy of Olympus. So I am glad to hear that Nayeon hadn't die because of me. I am about to let out a sigh of relief when Sehun speaks again.

"But I sent her somewhere that wasn't too far. She may even get to see that nice view she wanted to bring you to look at."

I stare at him, the gears on my head turning as I think of what he means by that. He can't really mean...

"You sent her back to Alcyonian lake?" When he doesn't answer but stares at me as if evaluating my expression in response to his unsaid answer, I continue, "Alone?"

Sehun finally replies, though his expression still doesn't change. "She's going to be with Hades."

"You sent her to the Underworld?" I gasp, eyes wide as I stare at him.

He raises an eyebrow. "She was going to send you there anyway."

"But..." I trail off, hoping for him to give me an explanation.

But of course, he doesn't. I swallow and take a small step back and this time, I see the tiny bit of change in his eyes. I would say it looks like anxiety but I am pretty sure Sehun, the new god of winds, never feels emotions similar to anxiety. Much less because of a mortal.

I continue, "She probably didn't even think of doing that—"

Sehun rips out a frustrated sigh, his eyebrows scrunched and his lips in a twist when he interrupts me.

"Listen, Jing, darling," he says the endearment in a softer tone, trying to get me to just listen. "She confessed to thinking of doing bad things to you." He sees my lips parting, wanting to still defend Nayeon. His gaze narrows on me and I purse my lips instead when he puts emphasis on his next words. "She is a nymph, Jing, an unimportant one whom no god would set eyes on. She was jealous of you. Of a mortal who could live in a house of a god, who got the attention of not just me, but also Kratos. The first time she came over, she wanted to seduce me, thinking you were still with Kratos. She wanted to take your place, thinking that if you were out of the picture, I would take her in."

I gape him, not really believing in what he's saying. Nayeon couldn't really have said that, could she? But then again, Sehun wouldn't lie to me. Not because our relationship has changed, but because he just isn't the kind of person to lie and sugar coat his words. And I have only known Nayeon for a month and a few weeks, and I have to admit that I still don't know much about her and the kind of person she really is. And now knowing the truth behind her intentions, hearing it from Sehun's mouth even, I feel betrayed. But most of all, I suddenly feel so, so alone. Now I know for certain that I have no one to rely on, no one to trust, no one to confide it.

Sehun sighs again when he sees the change in my expression, the defeated look in my eyes, the sadness and betrayal held in my gaze. He lifts his hands, making me gasp softly before holding my breath when he holds the sides of my face with his huge hands, his thumbs resting on my cheeks, caressing my skin slowly, gently.

"I'm sorry things had to turn out this way," he murmurs softly. "I'm sorry you had to lose your friend like this, and I'm even sorrier that your first friend turned out to be such a jerk."

I shake my head, but he clearly sees my eyes shining with unshed tears. His lips jut in a small pout and he leans in to press a kiss on the junction between my eyebrows. My heart races.

He speaks again, his lips grazing my skin. "Let's go for your daily walk," he whispers.

"Together?" I stare up at him, wide eyed.

He leans back slightly to look at me. The corners of his lips lift a little as he quirks his eyebrow. "Why? Don't like that?"

He sees the panicked expression on my face and chuckles softly, shaking his head. He slides his hand down my arm and holds my hand, making me feel extremely small yet protected. He squeezes my hand gently and tilts his head to look at me.

"Come on, I'll bring you to somewhere nice." 

 

 

"Are you sure?" 

Sehun smiles and nods his head, holding his hand out to me. "Come," he tilts his head. I give him a dubious look, which he chuckles and grabs my hand instead. "You'll just sit there and watch, okay?" 

"Then I don't really need to be there, Sehun," I sigh softly, following him as he pulls me towards the court room.

I try to keep up with his long strides as I brush out the creases of my dress. Sehun is running a little late in answering his daily prayers and requests from mortals and gods because he had been trying to talk me into joining in on today's session. It has been a week since Nayeon's verdict and as if now filling in the space Nayeon had left behind, Sehun has been spending more time with me. Only, he doesn't just spend time with me once every few days like how Nayeon did. He is with me everyday. 

We go on walks everyday so now lady Leah gets to rest back in the palace while he brings me out. The first time Sehun brought me out on my walk, he brought me to Demeter's garden. It was beautiful and I loved the scenery, but most of all, I enjoyed the time spent with Sehun. I thought that would have been a one time thing, but I was wrong. Since then, he has been bringing me on my walks everyday and he brings me to new places every time, unlike the exact same route lady Leah and I always take whenever we go on my daily walks. 

Other than walks, he sometimes joins me during bath sessions where we just stay in the bathtub, talking to each other. We eat every meal together too. And though most nights I go to sleep alone, I often wake up to Sehun next to me, his face close to mine or his fingers in my hair. 

But he has been getting busier, I noticed. His answer sessions have been getting longer and longer, it used to just take five minutes but it was been extended to half an hour and now, an hour. He really is changing to be a better god. I can tell from the offerings people below have been making to the god of winds; the palace is becoming more grandeur, his altar at the temple of Mount Olympus where every god's altar sits is no longer cracked and cobwebbed. Sehun is doing well as the new god of winds. And I am the opposite. 

I am slowly becoming more and more tired. I can no longer stay up past nine in the evening. And though I always try to seem fine during our walks, I always end up sleeping like a baby at night, only to wake up with my entire body aching. I have been having dreams too. I dream of myself back in the human world, leading a normal life; working as painting teacher, going home to a shared apartment, dating a cute boy I met through my friend. These dreams are so realistic that sometimes I find myself in a daze upon waking up, taking several moments to come back to reality, often with Sehun helping me, his huge hand resting on my back, rubbing up and down to soothe me from what he thought was a nightmare. 

I am presently sitting next to Sehun in the smaller court room — not the one where Nayeon's case took place at — where there is a big book opened on the table in front of Sehun. The table we are sitting at is on a platform, looking down at the rest of the empty room where only Damon is, by the door. I have never been in here before during one of Sehun's answering sessions and I don't really know what is going to happen. 

I frown at Sehun though, when he puts on a pair of thin wired spectacles. "You wear glasses?" 

Sehun tilts his head to look at me over his glasses. My heart jumps at the image of him doing that, especially when a corner of his lips tilts up into a smirk. 

"No, gods have perfect eyesight." 

"Then why...?" 

"Because I feel smarter and more authoritative." 

I stare at him. His eyes sparkle when he sees the disbelief on my face. I realise that though Sehun doesn't like showing his expressions and it is really hard to read his face, I can always tell from his gaze; whether he is worried, angry, happy. And spending so much time with him, I can read him easily now. 

I give him a look, to which he chuckles softly. He leans in quickly to kiss me on the side of the lips. Then, he turns to Damon, leaving me with a red face, as if he hadn't just made my heart flutter like crazy. 

"Let's start." 

I gasp when a voice speaks, echoing throughout the empty room. There is no one else other than Damon, Sehun and I in the room yet the voice is loud, yet sounds so far away. I turn to Sehun with wide eyes and see that he is already staring at me, his lips up in a small smile, obviously amused by my reaction. 

"Dear Aiolos, please bring us back to land safely," the male's voice pleads. He sounds afraid and very desperate.

Sehun frowns, turning back to the front when a scene is projected in the middle of the room. A group of four men are in a boat, stranded in the middle on the sea with no sight of land around them. The water is too still for them to move forward and they have lost their oars to keep moving. Even if they had them, it is obvious that they are too tired and hungry to use any more energy to row.

"Please give us a wind, a guide," the man continues in his exhausted voice while his friends are almost on the brink of unconsciousness. "We have no more food left and no drinkable water. Please, Aiolos. Please help us. I promise to—"

"You're going to help them, aren't you?" I whisper, leaning in close to Sehun. 

The god lifts his hand as he turns to me. The scene pauses and the voice stops speaking for the moment like Sehun has just freezed a movie. He leans back in his seat as he stares at me, an eyebrow raised. 

"Do you think I should?" he wonders. I nod rapidly. "Why?" 

"He's stranded in the middle of the sea," I remind him, glancing back at the frozen scene to bring his attention back to it. "Not only is he going to die if you leave him there, but all four of them will..." 

"But he has never prayed to me before and I can tell that he is not a believer." Sehun taps the book in front of him. "I know. It's all written here." 

"Then make him believe, Sehun."

He stares at me for a long time, gaze flickering between my eyes. "We'll see what he will offer in return." 

He is about to turn back to the front to request for the scene to start playing again. But just when the voice starts speaking again, I put a hand on Sehun's arm. The scene freezes and the audio stops. The wind prince turns to look at me, lips in a tight line though his eyes are questioning. 

"You don't need offerings to grant prayers," I murmur. "Can't you do things for the sake of helping others?" 

"Gods don't do that, Jing," he reminds me, though not unkindly. 

"Not you." I give him a small smile when he doesn't say anything but instead just stares at me. "You do things for me without really expecting anything from me, right? Like when you fixed my vanity though the servants could have done it. Or when—"

"Baby," he mutters, obviously getting embarrassed.

"Make him believe in you. Make him see that you're a god who genuinely wants to help," I whisper encouragingly, squeezing his arm. "Because I know you are." 

From the corner of my eye, I notice Sehun's Adam apple bobbing in his throat as he swallows. His eyes are piercing through mine but I know that he is thinking. He finally gives a firm nod of his head and turns to the front where Damon is already grinning. The scene then plays again, this time in real time. 

I watch in awe as a light wind ruffles the praying man's hair. He gasps awake. The wind picks up slowly, rocking the boat and pushing it slightly in the direction of the closest island. I glance at Sehun and see that his eyes are focused on the projection, his arms crossed in front of his chest, as he grants the prayer of the man. My lips break out into a grin. I turn back again and watch now as the boat moves entirely on its own with the help of the wind. Though slow, there definitely is still progress. 

"Thank you, Aiolos! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" the man cries out to the heaven, touched and extremely relieved. "I will pray to you every first of the month with sacrifices and gold. Thank you!" 

Sehun hums. I tilt my head to look at him. He is already staring at me, his eyes holding amazement. He reaches his hand out to brush my hair off my shoulder. When the side of my neck is bare, he slides his hand around my nape, bringing me closer to him. 

"And thank you, my darling," he murmurs before kissing me on the lips lightly but sweetly. 

 

 

Soft lips are pressed to the side of my lips, a line of butterfly kisses trailing along my cheek to my temple. I hum and flutter my eyes open to see a figure hovering over me. Sehun's legs are curled with mine, hold upper body held up by his elbow while his other hand is in my hair, his thumb resting on the side of my face. When he sees that I am awake, a tender smile paints his lips. 

"Hey," he murmurs in his husky morning voice, already awakening the butterflies in my stomach in the morning. "I have to go visit my mother for a bit, do you want to join me?" 

"Now?" I croak out, voice raw from not speaking. 

"Yeah," he whispers, kissing my lips. "Then we can take a walk in her garden. It's really nice there."

"Wait, isn't your mother—"

"Aphrodite?" he helps out. I nod my head. "Yes." 

"Oh, then no, thank you," I say as politely as I can despite my heart racing at the thought of meeting not just the goddess of love but Sehun's mother.

"Why not?" he scowls, moving back a little, obviously hurt. 

"She's your mom, Sehun! And she's the goddess of love..."

"So...?"

"So I'm not good enough to meet her — I'm only human, Sehun." 

He rolls his eyes and pecks me on the lips before leaning back and sitting up. As he gets off the bed, he informs me, "You're going anyway. We're leaving in the next half an hour. Get ready, hmm?" 

"But—"

Sehun raises his eyebrow as he turns his head to look at me. The look on his face is teasing but enough to shut me up. A pout takes over on my lips, which makes him chuckle quietly. He pats my knee and stands up as he s his silk sleepwear, letting it fall to the ground. I watch him undress himself there by my bed, enjoying how his shoulder muscles clench and relax each time he moves. When he is totally , he tilts his head to glance at me. 

"Joining me, baby?" 

"Yes," I breathe, always in awe by his body. 

I crawl out of bed and pull my night gown over my head when I am standing. I join Sehun, quickly slipping my hand into his. He tightens the hold and pulls me into the bathroom inside his chamber where we take a bath together. We only leave the palace a little after an hour later. Aphrodite's palace is a little far from Sehun's and we take a while to get there. But when the chariot has stopped outside a white and gold establishment, I know that we're here.

Sehun helps me down the chariot and observes as I and thank the pegasus, which has now grown extremely fond of me. Sehun gives him a curt pat on the head, never used to thanking the creature, before pulling me up the marble stone steps to the entrance of the house of Aphrodite. Just as we reach the top of the stairs, the beautifully carved wooden doors open where a tall, regal and beautiful woman steps out. 

Her blonde hair shines and her blue eyes are captivating. A seashell necklace rests on her collarbone, a symbol of her being the child of the sea. Her smile is stunning yet so motherly as she watches Sehun walk over to her. When we stand before her, I bow deeply, which tears her attention away from her son.

"Ah, Jing," she coos in a gentle greeting. "You're looking so bright and beautiful!" 

I flush pink and dip my head shyly. "It's all thanks to your blessing over me."

She hums with a smile on her lips. She turns to her son, who is staring at me with an affectionate gaze. Her smile widens. 

"Come in, come in."

She ushers us into her home, her slender arm extending out to the interior of the palace. As I follow Sehun into his mother's house, I look around in amazement. There are very beautiful ornaments adorning the interior and one can definitely tell they are in the house of Aphrodite if they ever get to enter her home. 

"What did you need help with, mother?" Sehun mumbles, glancing at his mother. 

"Ah," Aphrodite giggles softly. "I called you over just to see how you've been doing." She grins at him. "And I see that you're doing well." 

He nods thoughtfully. "I am, actually," he murmurs, almost like he can't believe it either. I look at him. He sees the movement from the side of his eye and turns to me. A smile takes over his face and he squeezes my hand. "I'm doing great." 

I smile bashfully and he brings me closer to him so that my shoulder is pressed to his arm. We end up having brunch with Aphrodite where I mostly kept silent while the mother and son talk through awkward conversations. When we are done, Sehun receives permission from his mother to take me on a walk in her garden while she visits Hera. So Sehun brings me to the back of the palace where there is indeed a huge garden, the flowers only either white, red or pink. There are many shades of these colours though and I see what Sehun meant when he said the garden here is really nice. It is beautiful.

Our arms are linked as we tread slowly through the garden, following a path that sometimes split up into three-ways where I end up making the decision on which direction to go. Sehun and I talk in quiet voices, as how we normally do. Coming here, I have learnt to keep to myself. And Sehun is originally one of little words. So when we speak, we're talk more than we normally do, but in soft voices, as if afraid to disturb each other's sense of peace.

"Your mother is really nice," I mention when we have taken a break from another topic. Sehun raises an eyebrow. I nod my head. "From legends and myths, she sounded like a— no offence but—"

"A ?" he suggests.

I gape at him for a moment. Then I purse my lips. "You said that, not me." 

Sehun laughs, nudging me lightly with his elbow. A chuckle slips out of my mouth. He leans down, his cheek grazing my temple, his lips close to my ear.

"Just don't tell my mom," he whispers, a tinge of mischief in his tone. 

I giggle and receive a kiss on my cheek before he drags his lips across my skin and pulls back. We continue on our walk until I get tired, which is almost 20 minutes later. We couldn't even finish the garden, which I am pretty bummed out about. Sehun doesn't seem to care as he brings me back to the chariot where he makes me lean back against his chest. We return back to the palace after Sehun sends a message to his mother that we are leaving, using his wind as a messenger. 

Sehun keeps his strides slow to match with mine when we return home. I never used to need naps but now I do. I always end up sleeping for hours in the afternoons, only to go to sleep early again the evening. I am no longer able to keep up with the godly life and I know that my time here is coming to an end.

Sehun climbs into bed with me since it is not yet time for him to go for his hearing session. I hum in content when he slides his body closer to mine, his legs resting against the back of mine, his chest pasted to my back, his long arm circling around my chest. He buries his nose into my hair, his warmth immediately comforting me. I find myself falling asleep quickly, especially with him talking to me softly, his voice so low and gentle that I remember dreaming of him and I continuing on our walk in the goddess of love's garden.

 

 

It's been almost three months since Sehun and I became closer. I am having my afternoon nap when I am urgently woken up by lady Leah. I am groggy and tired but she is rushing me to stand from my bed. I do and she starts running around my chamber, throwing my clothes and possessions into a big bag. I frown. 

"Lady Leah, where—"

"Shush now, little one," she hushes, grabbing the last of my dresses. She comes over to me. "Prince Sehun is having a court hearing. We have to go now." 

"Where are we going?" I gasp in surprise when she takes my wrist and pulls me out of my chamber. 

She looks left and right, totally looking like she is doing something against the rules. But I follow her anyway, still in a sleepy daze. She is urgent as she pulls me towards the doors. The moment we step outside, I see the chariot waiting. The pegasus this time is grey, not the one I am used to, not the one I adore. Lady Leah pulls me down the steps and lugs my stuff onto the carriage before helping me up into it. I turn back to the palace, looking into the open doors. Sehun is nowhere to be seen. Where am I going? Does he even know that I will be leaving? Why isn't he sending me off? 

"Lady Jing." I tear my gaze away from the palace to focus on lady Leah. She holds my hand gently. "It was really nice serving you." My heart starts to race. Why is she saying this? "You did a very good job in opening up the heart of the cold blooded prince—"

"Lady Leah," I cut her off anxiously, fear seeping through my bones. "Where am I going? Is Sehun coming too?" 

She stares at me for a moment before smiling sadly. She shakes her head. "I'm sure you can tell that you're slowly becoming less awake in the land of the gods." I swallow and nod my head. She continues, "You have to return to the mortal world, lady Jing." 

My heart stops. My entire world seems to have stopped spinning. My body heats up. Return? But my home is now here. I have built a home with Sehun here now. How can I return to the world I came from when I haven't been back in almost a century? I don't even know how things work down there anymore. How will I ever be able to live away from Sehun, away from my wind prince? 

"If..." I take in a deep breath and start again. "If I go down there, I will never return, will I?" Lady Leah doesn't respond, but I can tell from her smile that I can never return. "Where will I live?" I whisper, scared.

Lady Leah glances back almost nervously. "You have a whole life down there, lady Jing. We made sure of that. You're a painting teacher and you live with three girl friends in a very beautiful house — though not as beautiful as the house of Sehun." My nose prickles and my eyes water. It won't. Because it won't have Sehun in it. "And you have a boyfriend. Your family has long been gone, so I hope you are okay with being the only one in your family living." 

"Lady Leah, I—"

"You have to go now, little one," she intterupts me anxiously. "I wish I could have told you but the Fates..." She sighs and shakes her head, patting my hand. "Be safe, lady Jing." 

I gasp when she takes a step back and hits the pegasus on his hind. As he flies off, bringing me back to where I came from, the first tear falls. I will be leaving the house of Sehun, I will be leaving the god of winds, I will be leaving my prince. I won't even see him anymore, except in my memories. I don't even get to see him for the last time before I leave. 

Just before we are too far away, lady Leah shouts out to me, sounding nearly like she is begging me. 

"Please, please don't forget prince Sehun."

 

 

I beam at the little girl in front of me. It is Teacher's Day and I have received several presents from my students already even though it isn't even lunch time. 

"Thank you, Eunhye, that's very sweet of you." 

She shows me a shy smile. "Happy teacher's day, Miss Jing." 

I hug her and she runs out of the classroom, to where her parents are waiting for her. I stand again and sigh, looking around the empty room. I have come to hate intermissions like these where I have nothing to do. Because I have nothing occupying my mind and it is only then that I think of Sehun and the time I have had in Olympus, living the almost life of a deity. It has been two months since then but it feels even longer than that.

I hear a knock on the door and I whip my head around to see my boyfriend standing there, two take-away cups of coffee in his hands. His eyes are sparkling and his lips are in an affectionate smile. I force a smile on my face, walking over to him. 

I feel guilty that I can never return the love he has for me. My heart has been taken away by the god of winds and I will never take it back, because I can never go back to where he is. I can never say the three words my boyfriend says to me, only because I know I won't mean them and he doesn't deserve more lies. 

"Happy teacher's day, Miss Jing."

I chuckle, taking the cup of coffee from his hand. I lean forward to accept Jongdae's kiss. He takes my hand, interwining our fingers, about to pull me out of the classroom to go for lunch. 

"Wait, my bag!" I giggle, dragging him into the room with me to get my handbag. 

He laughs and follows me like a puppy. I feel bad when I compare him to Sehun; how he lets me do things my way whereas Sehun never does though I know the god always has the goodness of my wellbeing in mind. I miss Sehun. I miss him more than I can take and it hurts me. It eats me inside. 

Our lunch is filled with conversation — Jongdae always being the more talkative one between us. I enjoy listening to him speak because he always seems so positive about everything. He knows I am a woman of little words and I am glad it doesn't hurt him. We talked about it once and I admitted that I like listening to him talk, which is the truth and also made him really happy. 

Jongdae walks me back to the art centre I work at, promising me to return again to get me after we have both knocked off from work. He leaves and I teach another class, this time with teenagers. They are not the usual high schoolers, which I am glad for. I receive two more gifts from my students before letting in the next class. I am clearing up the room as the students enter and settle down. 

I slap on a bright smile and greet the class when I have tidied up my table. Like a magnet being attracted to another, my eyes fall on a man at the back of the classroom, his shoulders so broad that the canvas in front of him doesn't even hide his physique. His body is tilted to the side, his head peeking out from behind the blank canvas, staring at me with his grey eyes. My heart stops and my breath hitches. 

He sees the recognition on my face and his lips tilt just so slightly, into a small smile. I swallow and look around the classroom anxiously. My class this time is administered to younger kids in the middle school and he is the only adult here. 

"Happy teacher's day, Miss Jing!" a little boy exclaims excitedly. 

The other kids chorus their wishes and the last who speaks is the man at the back, his voice as low and husky as I remember them in my dreams and in my memories. My chest tightens and I find myself blanking out.

"Thank you," I murmur softly, still in shock. Knowing that I cannot continue this lesson until I have spoken to him, I give the kids a tight smile. "Practice on realistic drawings and I will come round and check, okay?" 

They nod their heads. Even the man returns to his blank canvas. With a thumping heart, I make my way slowly towards him. I closer I get, the more I find myself hoping for this to be a dream. Because how can a god be here, in the mortal world, among kids in a painting class? 

I stand next to him, just staring at his side profile, taking in his perfectly shaped brows, his long lashes, his tall nose, his supple pink lips. And when he speaks in his soft, soothing voice, the back of my eyes grows hot. 

"You depicted the house of Aiolos perfectly," he murmurs even as he paints on the blank canvas, his confident and sure. "I bought that artwork to hang it in my home." 

"Sehun," I whisper, his name causing some heartstrings to tremble. 

"I didn't know you could paint so well," he mutters, his hand stopping in mid air. He tilts his head to look at me, his gaze showing hurt but his expression still as stoic as ever. "Why didn't you tell me you were leaving?" he whispers. 

"I didn't know," I swear, shaking head. "Lady Leah brought me out and sent me away, I didn't know— I didn't want to leave." 

He brings down his hand, resting it on his thigh, as he turns to face me. "Do you like it here? In the mortal world?" 

I look around the classroom where the kids are quietly drawing on their canvases, occasionally talking to each other about what happened over the week they haven't met each other. I enjoy working here; I enjoy watching people bring out their artistic sides. I like my housemates, who are also my best friends. I am in a contented relationship with my boyfriend. My life is as mundane as any other human being with all its ups and downs.

I nod my head. "I do," I tell him honestly.

I see the defeat in his eyes as a soft sigh leaves his lips. He takes in a deep breath and nods his head, standing up. My insides go into panic, not wanting him to leave. 

"Well, then I guess I shouldn't be selfish, huh?" he mutters, looking at me. 

I stare at him, wondering what he means by that. But he takes my silence as agreement, to which he nods curtly and gives me a tight smile. 

"I missed you like crazy," he confesses quietly. His smile turns into an honest but sad one. "It's nice to see you again." 

My mind goes into frenzy at his words. Then panic takes over my entire body when he takes a step back. He is going to leave. He is going back to Olympus where he belongs and I cannot return. I left the first time without a word, without fighting back. That was how I lost him. I can't lose him again by doing the same mistake. 

"Wait!" I call out breathlessly when he turns around, ready to exit the classroom. He stops but doesn't turn around. "Why didn't you ask me if I like it here or Olympus better?" 

He whips his head around, piercing his gaze on me. His Adam's apple bobs in his throat as he swallows. "Do you like it here better than Olympus?" he asks, his question quiet and tentative.

"I love being anywhere you are, Sehun."

 

 

"Lady Jing."

"One moment—"

"You already look beautiful." I freeze in front of the mirror, my hand holding the mascara wand pausing mid air. I turn to the door where Sehun is standing next to lady Leah. "Come on, we're already running a little late." 

"But—"

"Baby." 

I sigh and put down the cosmetic product. I take a gold bangle and wear it as I walk over to the god. He smiles lovingly at me, holding his arm out for me to hold. I take it and follow him to the doors of the palace, lady Leah trailing behind us silently. 

"Won't your mom be there later too?" I ask when he helps me up into the chariot. He hums as a yes, stepping into the carriage with me, his arm immediately winding round my waist, pulling me close as my favourite pegasus takes flight. "I should be looking presentable to meet her, Sehun," I whine quietly. 

"You know I think you're the most beautiful but you can't outshine the goddess of love, darling."

I cluck my tongue, to which he chuckles, leaning down to kiss my temple. "I have to look at least presentable when I meet my mother-in-law, don't I?" 

He rolls his eyes in good nature. I nudge him with my elbow gently. Sehun laughs, dipping his head to bury his nose in my hair. We reach the house of Dionysus in a bit for his yearly celebration of good wine. Sehun helps me down again and this time, the both of us go over to our pegasus to thank him for the ride. I hold Sehun's hand as we walk up the steps. And just like a year ago, I trip on my dress. However, I have Sehun with me now, who tightens his hold on me, bringing my closer to him body to stop me from falling. I give him a bashful smile, to which he crinkles his nose at. 

"Prince Sehun!" Dionysus greets excitedly before turning to smile at me, his eyes twinkling. "And lady Jing!" I curtsy a little and greet him back. He fills up a goblet of ambrosia infused wine for the god of winds. While Sehun takes the cup from him, he raises an eyebrow at me. "And you, my lady? No ambrosia?" 

I look to Sehun, who wrinkles his nose at me. "Just a little bit," he tells the god of wine. 

Dionysus grins happily, immediately filling up a wine glass for me. I take it from him and thank him. Sehun brings me into the palace while Dionysus stays outside to greet the other guests. I follow Sehun to a table. 

One year ago, he looked for tables with the most women. A year later, he looks for a table with space for two. 

One year ago, I stood behind him while he flirted with women. A year later, I join him at the table, most of the time quiet and only really talking to my prince. 

One year ago, I was mortal, a prisoner of love to a god who didn't love me. A year later, I am immortal, and a wife to a god who loves and cherishes me, almost like a greedy man. 

 

 


Author's note:

To Queens;
I'm sorry I took so long, I hope you enjoyed this one shot though?! This was 16K, probably the longest one shot I have ever written. I enjoyed writing it though I am a little apprehensive on how it really is to you and my other readers. I hope I didn't let you down and I hope this would do as a Christmas present! (Though I'm sorry about the Jongdae cameo;; He's sweet but come on, Sehun!!) Once again thank you so much for everything you've done for me and thank you so much for being a friend to me. Also thank you for always supporting me in my stories, giving me honest feedback and pointers when I need it. I appreciate your help and support, and I am glad we have started talking more behind AFF. Good luck in your own stories, and more importantly, in school! Merry Christmas, Jing! ⃛ヾ(๑❛ ▿ ◠๑ )

 

To my other readers;
I'm so extremely sorry for not updating my stories. I am on holiday right now and I would prefer enjoying it than to stress over updating my stories. Some of you are worried over my not updating but rest assured, I am doing fine. I just would like to take a break, so I would appreciate your patience! Anyways, I hope you guys liked this, this story was my first where the OC had a name. This story is dedicated to a friend, so I used her name as the OC to make it more personal. Another story will have a named OC too, because that is also dedicated to a friend, but other than that, I would still be writing stories with nameless OC's (only bc I at making up names and also I think it's a little more personal/intimate). So yeah. Thank you all for being patient and please upvote if you think this story deserved it. Comment to tell me your thoughts and to give me feedback, and subscribe if you want to? haha. 

 

P.S. I have yet to proofread so please forgive me if you see grammar mistakes, spelling errors or basically just ed up sentences lol

 

xoxo