FINAL

CAMERA

Click. Click.

Daehyun pressed repeatedly on the silver shutter button, capturing the memories that vanished quickly within the clutches of time.

Every scene lasted only a blur impression on the young man's mind, so he gave up on remembering them all, thus the urge to capture them all down.

Never, had he thought he'd find somebody who'd leave such a vivid impact on the young man.

Daehyun's camera roamed around, not even bothering to look at what he was taking, index finger tirelessly clicking.

Click. Click.

He looked through the gallery of photos, the last few blurry, and landed on the latest clear photograph.

Daehyun blinked in surprise as he gazed at the man in the photo.

Dark brown hair, petite figure, soft chocolate eyes with cherry red lips and a pale complexion...

This man was gorgeous. The look of sadness buried in those orbs as he sat alone at the white table for two, supposedly awaiting somebody.

Daehyun gazed at the still image, captivated, before he realized how the picture came alive right before his eyes as he placed his camera down. Just a few steps in front was the outdoor cafe, and under the gentle sunlight and clouds, sat that particular man who Daehyun was so mesmerized by.

Daehyun advanced closer, eyes never leaving the oblivious man. He seemed to be in a daze, and Daehyun brought his camera up to the pre-occupied man and snapped a picture, the said man blinking at the sudden flash of light.

"Uhm..." The man stared in surprise at Daehyun, who realized what he did and scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment before mumbling a soft "sorry".

Youngjae simply chuckled and looked up at the towering man, tilting his head. "Why'd you do that?"

Mumbling gibberish no one could understand, Youngjae's sweet laughter made Daehyun smile unknowingly as a faint blush painted the older's face.

"Can I still keep it?"

Daehyun looked hopefully, and Youngjae chuckled before nodding, "You'll have to pay for it though, I'm thirsty and I didn't bring any money down."

Daehyun blinked in surprise, and Youngjae quickly added, "It's just a joke, you don't have to-"

Youngjae stopped short when he realized Daehyun had already dashed into the indoors cafe. He came back with two cups of coffee, and he sat on the opposite chair.

"What are you doing here?"

Youngjae's eyes immediately turned dull as he mumbled, "Waiting for a certain someone..."

"So, you're a photographer?"

"Oh, it's my hobby."

"Do you always take pictures of random strangers?" Youngjae laughed, making Daehyun blush.

"Well...this is the first time I purposely took a photo of somebody..."

Another soft chuckle from Youngjae, and he replied, "Well then I feel honored."

"You live around here?"

"Quite near, at the block of flats over there."

"...Do you...come here often?"

"Quite."

An awkward silence followed, only Daehyun feeling the uncomfortableness as Youngjae gazed aimlessly out.

"You've been here for a while, right?"

"An hour and the cashier is starting to notice I haven't bought anything."

"Why so long?"

A long pause as Youngjae looked heartbroken, plastering a soft smile on his lips.

"...He's late, again..."

Daehyun gazed sympathetically at Youngjae, hands unknowingly reaching out to touch Youngjae's small hands.

"Thanks, but you shouldn't be so kind to strangers." Youngjae smiled, and Daehyun shook his head.

"Then let's not be strangers. What's your name?"

"Yoo Youngjae. How about you?"

"Jung Daehyun."

Daehyun felt a spark of connection as their eyes met, his hand still over Youngjae’s, wondering how a man could be this beautiful.

All of this was followed by an hour long conversation of getting to know the other, which was rudely interrupted by Youngjae’s lover.

"Yah Youngjae, what are you doing?!"

A sudden voice frightened the two as a large built man walked over. Youngjae smiled as he stood up to entwine hands with his angry lover.

"Yongguk-ah, we're just friends."

"You two better be." Yongguk growled, glaring at Daehyun.

Waving goodbye to Daehyun, Youngjae was dragged away by a fuming Yongguk.

----------------------------------------------

It had been weeks since Daehyun had met Youngjae, and Daehyun couldn't get his mind off the beauty.
Everyday, he'd roam around the area and the said flats, and fail to find Youngjae there.

That is, until today. A half-hearted search for Youngjae around the flats with a of luck, as he spotted the same figure idling at the bench.

Daehyun nearly flew forward, but as he neared, he realized Youngjae was crying.

"Are you okay?" A soft whisper as Daehyun wrapped his arm around Youngjae's small built, while Youngjae blinked in surprise, tears still flowing out. But a look of recognition was awarded to Daehyun, and Youngjae immediately flung his arms around Daehyun, burying his head in Daehyun's chest.

"He left me, he left me..." Youngjae sobbed, grip tightening on Daehyun as tears streaked out.

"Don't cry..." A soothing whisper from Daehyun as he patted the smaller man's back, his heart unknowingly hurting to see Youngjae so broken.

After a while of soothing whispers, Youngjae's sobbing died down. "I'm sorry...I just really need the comfort..." Youngjae gingerly removed his arms around Daehyun's waist, only to be embraced tightly by Daehyun.

"Didn't you say we were friends?" Daehyun mumbled, refusing to let go of the broken figure.

Unshed tears poured out as Youngjae hugged Daehyun tightly, choking out between sobs, "Thank you...Thank you so much."

------------------------------------------

It was as if God wanted them to meet after their two episodes. On the day after the crying incident, Daehyun's father got a job for the boy as a photographer for YG Entertainment near Youngjae's house, and bought a unit there for convenience purposes. The first morning Daehyun was at his doorstep rushing off to work, Youngjae coincidentally had return from his morning jog, just in time to see Daehyun leave the house.

"Daehyun?"

"Y-Youngjae?!"

"I never knew you lived here! And right beside me?"

And a long conversation followed as Youngjae invited Daehyun into his cozy apartment, Daehyun ignoring the constant calls from the agency.

This soon progressed to eating breakfast and lunches together at Youngjae’s house and the café, Daehyun soon realizing Youngjae was a lyricist who spent his time composing lyrics and singing in his home. Soon they became being best friends, Youngjae cooking for Daehyun who came back in the evening, sending the food over to the older’s house, where they ate together. Sometimes, it would be accompanied with a quick stroll at the nearby shopping mall or just idling at the void decks. They’d spend the weekends together at the park having picnics or playing at the beach, followed by dinner at a fast food restaurant and a home movie, both of them on the couch.

He loved it whenever Youngjae fell asleep on his shoulder.

He’d watch as Youngjae sang his pieces with that beautiful angelic voice, fingers waltzing gracefully across the grand piano that harmonized well. Daehyun secretly took pictures of Youngjae using his private camera, one where he took Youngjae’s first picture (and deleted all those random strangers’ photos). Every night, he’d sit in bed, scrolling through the pictures as a smile painted the man’s face.

Soon the photos grew to be compiled in a thick album, one filled with happy memories that the two shared, laying secretly on Daehyun’s bedside table.

To Daehyun, Youngjae was the most perfect creature to ever walk the Earth. It was pure happiness having Youngjae by his side, even though they never brought up the topic of love.

Daehyun found himself falling deeper…into what exactly?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happiness never lasts long.

The first few words that crossed Daehyun’s mind as Youngjae bounced happily, ecstatic with joy. “I’m so happy for you!” Daehyun faked joy as the two embraced, Youngjae wrapping his arms tightly around the former. 
“A lyricist overseas for SM entertainment, that’s a really good job.” Daehyun commented, Youngjae oblivious to the older’s words as he embraced everything in his cozy little home. 

Truthfully, Daehyun’s heart was tearing into pieces. “How long will you be gone?”

“I’m not even sure myself! It is a job, so it may be a couple of years, or maybe even more! I heard Japan is a gorgeous place, I’m so excited Daehyun-ah!”

Daehyun plastered a wry smile on his face and felt the shattering bits of his heart mercilessly wound his stomach and lungs, feeling hard to breathe and a horrible feeling in his guts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emptiness…

It had been a year or more since Daehyun had seen Youngjae. The letters slowly died down as Youngjae got busier and busier, and Daehyun himself got occupied with his work. Even as he came across many beautiful women and guys through his work, he never once spared them a second glance.

Because to Daehyun, Youngjae was the most beautiful thing God had ever created.

Time past like the most agonizing thing in the whole wide world, and Daehyun felt his heart ache as he scanned through the photos in that thick album, supposedly never to be continued. He’d pick up his pen to write another letter, only to crumple the paper, afraid he’d disturb Youngjae.

Because even if Youngjae meant the world to Daehyun, Daehyun knew Youngjae didn’t feel the same way.

He had already noted his growing feeling for his hyung, and after seeing how Onew and Key (his colleagues) gazed at each other like how he looked at Youngjae, he knew he was falling…

Falling in love…

Daehyun sighed as he made his way down for his lunch break to the café. Everyday, the pain got worse, but life still had to go on for Daehyun.

He sat at the same table where he saw Youngjae, hands tracing the outline, a replica of past memories, nostalgia flooding the young man. He set the camera on the table, one that held no sweet memories but only the photos of people he barely remembered.

He flipped open his wallet, eyes latched on the window where the picture of Youngjae rested. The first one which he had ever taken of Youngjae.

He unknowingly sat in the same position as Youngjae, hands crossed across the edge of the table, awaiting his order. His mind drifted off to more thoughts that concerned Youngjae, eyes aimlessly staring at the cloudy sky.

He did not notice the advancing petite figure, eyes still fixated blankly on the sky. Not even when the lurking hands grabbed the innocent camera laying exposed on the table. A blinding flash snapped him out of his trance, eyes blinking wildly as his vision cleared, only to set his eyes on a gorgeous man bending over, smiling brightly, his camera in those small precious hands.

The chair flew backwards as they both stood up straight, Daehyun flinging his arms tightly around the small man who simply laughed, basking in Daehyun’s warmth. 

“How…” Daehyun’s voice cracked, a small tear forming at the edge of his eye. 

Youngjae chuckled, wrapping his arms around the taller man, burying his face in the taller’s chest. Daehyun nuzzled his nose into Youngjae’s hair, breathing in the sweet scent, oh how he missed it so dearly, so painfully…

“Let’s just say there was somebody more important waiting for me in Korea. And the job was getting pretty tough, the profit was so little!” 

As soon as the words fell out, Daehyun’s embrace got more suffocating as happiness flooded the older man.

To know that he came back, for me…
------------------------------------------------------------

Youngjae now lived with Daehyun, much to Daehyun’s pure joy. Youngjae had sold his house, and had never planned to return so early, thus he had nowhere to live.

“You must have missed me a lot.” Daehyun joked, and Youngjae laughed back.

“I won’t lie, I did. I missed you a whole lot. It felt as if I would die without you.” Youngjae chuckled, oblivious to how the words hit Daehyun who stared wide-eyed at the figure’s back, heart palpitating wildly.

It felt as if his heart was going to burst in happiness.

And the constant secret taking of pictures commenced once again, the forgotten blank pages now coloured with the wide variety of images. The camera he reserved specially for taking only Youngjae-related photos came back to life as the shutter quietly clicked tirelessly.

But the camera was never meant to last.

Youngjae held his notepad in his hand, gazing out at the starry night sky. He flipped the cover up and read through the lyrics he wrote again, heart palpitating wildly. 



[Flashback]


Youngjae sat in his silent huge apartment, hugging his small pillow, dullness filling the boy’s eyes. All his thoughts revolved around the older man who he missed so dearly, that funny man who he had met all because of a camera, the sweet man who had comforted him when his first love had broken up with him…

Youngjae smiled as he reminisced about the days they spent together.

Today, I wander in my memory
I’m passing around on the end of this way
You’re still holding me tightly, even though I can’t see you any more
I’m losing my way again 

He sang softly, the pen scribbling across the notepad. Truthfully, he did like his job even if the pays were ridiculously low. He had achieved fame under the pen name “Cloud”, a lyricist that wrote for many great bands such as Super Junior. But he wasn’t happy.

Without Daehyun, would he ever be happy?

He still couldn’t believe he had been so happy when he had gotten the job offer. Maybe there was something he loved more than singing and writing lyrics…

“I wonder if he’s thinking about me…”

His train of thoughts led him to ignore the vigorously vibrating mobile phone, for he had skipped work yet again. All the memories, them spending every day together, the days they’d spend sitting at the playground in the night, sitting on the swings, drawing constellations in the sky. 

Youngjae felt his heart beat fast.

I’m praying to the sky I want see you and hold you more
That I want to see you and hold you more

The days where the two would sit on the rooftop together, where they talked and laughed happily, and even fell asleep underneath the stars.

The immense fluttering in Youngjae’s heart grew.

It can’t be if it’s not you
I can’t be without you
It’s okay if I’m hurt for a day and a year like this
It’s fine even if my heart’s hurts

The days where Daehyun would teach Youngjae how to take photos, how to hold the camera, and how they laughed taking pictures of the most random objects ever.

Youngjae felt the concealed urge to see Daehyun burst, and his heart was racing as memories flashed before his mind.

It can’t be if it’s not you
I can’t be without you
It’s okay if I’m hurt for a day and a year like this
It’s fine even if my heart’s hurts
Yes because I’m just in love with you

He knew he couldn’t hide it for long.

“Daehyun-ah…I love you."

Youngjae wanted to see Daehyun so badly. And he decided this time, he would. Not those half-way written letters that were disrupted by the constant call of work, not those phone calls that were cut short by the short vibration of a work-related message, not those video calls that ended due to the spamming of emails from numerous entertainment agencies.

It can’t be if it’s not you
I can’t be without you
It’s okay if I’m hurt for a day and a year like this
It’s fine even if my heart’s hurts
Yes because I’m just in love with you

He picked up the call and spoke words he knew he’d never regret. Disconnecting the call, he immediately made reservations for the earliest plane ticket from Tokyo to Seoul he could get and hurriedly packed his things.


My bruised heart
Is screaming to me to find you
Where are you?
Can’t you hear my voice?
To me…

[End of flashback]



Youngjae smiled as he sang, pen moving quickly as the last stanza was written, completed with a small note.

If I live my life again
If I’m born over and over again
I can’t live without you for a day
You’re the one I will keep
You’re the one I will love
I’m…yes because I’m happy enough if I could be with you

Looking around, he found it on the table and walked over to the window, scrolling through the camera he had found. Funnily, he had realised Daehyun had two different cameras, and he only saw the other one whenever Daehyun and him were together.


“There it is!” Youngjae exclaimed, and was about to transfer the photo to his phone when a sudden blast of music (from next door’s Sungmin and Jino’s house) shocked Youngjae, the camera slipping out of his hands and landing with a crack on the concrete ground. 


Youngjae stared in horror as he practically flew out of the house the ground floor. A genuinely frightened Youngjae looked frantically at the broken camera, picking up the pieces anxiously that slipped out of his shaking fingers. Tears started to flow uncontrollably as Youngjae cradled the spoilt camera in his arms, at a loss of what to do.


~
 

Daehyun happily carried the thick photo album in his arms, together with the camera that stored all of Youngjae’s photos. He walked into the giant printing shop, handing the man his beloved camera carefully as the staff chuckled.
 

“What’s so funny?” Daehyun frowned.

Himchan and Jongup smiled, chorusing, “It’s just that you’re a really sweet guy.” Junhong clapped excitedly as he blurted out, “You’re a really nice boyfriend, you know that?”


“M-Me?”


“You know, the whole taking pictures of your lover and keeping them in that album.” Junhong flashed a grin, making Daehyun blush and scratch the back of his neck nervously.


“Since he’s such a great guy… Guys, maybe we should print these pictures out for free this time?” Himchan looked over at Jongup and Junhong.


Jongup simply smiled and nodded. “Why not?” He smirked, as Junhong quickly got to work.


“T-Thanks…But we’re not together…” Daehyun smiled sheepishly, making the whole staff laugh and shake their heads.

 

“Well, judging from the pictures, he seems really in love with you too.”


Daehyun looked at them in surprise. He took the album and his camera, bowing and saying out another “Thanks”. The photos were quickly printed out and Daehyun thanked them again, smiling, and they all waved as he exited the shop.


“Could what they say be true?” Daehyun murmured as he tightly hugged the album.

  
What if Youngjae loves me back?


He stepped into the empty house, surprised that Youngjae wasn’t in. He started getting worried as it was getting late, wondering where Youngjae could be. 


Just then, he noticed Youngjae’s notepad laying precariously on the window ledge. A smile crossed his lips as he read the beautifully crafted lyrics, but what made his heart stop was when he read the last line.


Dedicated to Jung Daehyun. I love you.


Daehyun stared in awe at the notepad, time literally stopping for the young man. He reread the last line again and again, unable to digest such simple words, before his heart started palpitating wildly. Joy flooded the man as he leaped up in immense elation, happiness bursting out of the boy as he hurriedly ran down the stair, a giant grin on the overjoyed man’s face.


~


Youngjae sat at the park bench, sobbing. He had never felt this sad, not even when Yongguk had broken up with him. The camera was still in the small man’s arms, and Youngjae didn’t know what to do.


After all, this is Daehyun’s precious camera, right?


“I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry…” Youngjae cried harder, nobody hearing the man’s sobs in the night. 


Well, except for one person.


An overjoyed and ecstatic Daehyun ran around, frantic with joy, and when he saw Youngjae sitting on the park bench, he rushed forward, only to slow down when he found out Youngjae was sobbing.


“Youngjae, are you okay?” Daehyun quickly dumped his camera and album on the side of the bench, immediately wrapping his arm around Youngjae, confusion and sadness filling the previously happy man.


“Daehyun-ah,” Youngjae looked up with puffy eyes as tears streaked down even more, “I’m so sorry…” He hugged Daehyun’s camera and held out his hand filled with the chipped off bits.


“I’m so sorry…” 


Daehyun stared in surprise at the camera before chuckling, a confused Youngjae sniffing. Daehyun took the broken camera out of Youngjae’s arms and scooped up the broken bits from Youngjae’s small hand. He walked over to the dustbin and dumped the unwanted contents into the dustbin, leaving Youngjae utterly shocked.


“B-But…that’s your precious camera…” Youngjae stuttered, and Daehyun smiled gently, taking a seat. He picked up the camera on the bench and placed it in Youngjae’s lap.


“This is my precious camera.”


Youngjae immediately recognized the camera, the one that Daehyun had first used when they met. Youngjae picked it up and looked over at Daehyun.


“Do you know why?” Daehyun grinned, making Youngjae even more confused. Daehyun took the object and pressed a few buttons, and loaded the whole gallery of photos for Youngjae to see.

 

“D-Daehyun-ah…Are those all…”


Youngjae stared wide-eyed at the photos, tears still flowing. Daehyun then took the album and flipped it open, a smile gracing his lips.


“This is my precious photo album.”


Daehyun chuckled as Youngjae flipped through it, shocked.


“But there’s a certain something that is a whole lot more precious than any of these things, something that I love so much.”


Youngjae’s heart fluttered as Daehyun leaned closer, the younger blushing hard. “I love you…” Daehyun whispered as lifted Youngjae’s chin to capture those gorgeous lips, a chaste, soft and sensual kiss that lasted with sweetness, and when they parted, a tingling sensation lingering on each of their lips.

Youngjae gazed up with dazed chocolate brown orbs accompanied with a small smile. Daehyun smiled a smile reserved only for Youngjae, for only Youngjae could make him this happy, and Daehyun whispered into Youngjae’s ear.
 

“This is my precious Youngjae.”