Swings

You Are My Everything

***

I sat there on the swings, humming away. Awaiting for someone to push me. So I just sat there, humming. I closed my eyes for a second, only to be awakened by a "watch out!" Quickly, I ducked my head, hoping not to be hit by what ever was coming at me. Unfortunately, the soccer ball hit me straight in the knee and I immediately burst out in quiet tears. The boy which I assumed the ball belonged to, came running.

"Hey! Hey!" The boy called. He looked around my age, five, short, especially short. "Are you alright?" He was suddenly before me, I could see the worried look on his face. I nodded, but he still wasn't convinced.

 

***

"Are you sure?" I asked once more. The girl wore a flower crown and floral dress, she reminded me of an angel, if angels wore flowers that is. My friends and I were playing soccer in the field just across the park. Mingyu had a very strong kick, but his accuracy was anything from great.

"Y-y-yeah." She stuttered under tears and unsteady breaths. I didn't know what to do at that moment, except for comforting her and listening to her sniffles.

"I got an idea!" I exclaimed as I bent down and kissed the red spot on her knee. "Better?" I asked, she started to giggle as she wiped the tears from her face.

"Much better!' She replied with a smile.

"Do you want me to push?" I asked, by then I had completely forgotten about my friends and the soccer ball. I started pushing the swings.

The girl started humming with a smile on her face. I found myself smiling too, I immediately recongnized the tune as 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and started to hum along. Within a few seconds, we started to sing the lyrics together in perfect harmony. 

"What's your name?" I asked as we finished the song.

"Yuna, Choi Yuna. Yours?"

"Lee Seokmin at your service." Once again she giggled

"What about your friends?" She asked, I cocked my head My friends were all- The park! Seokmin you idiot! I thought. Your only job was to grab the ball, but Mingyu just had to kick the ball at Yuna's knee, didn't he. 

"Yah! Seokmin! Stop playing with your girlfriend and get us our ball!" Called Seungcheol, the most mature, yet immature third grader you've ever seen.

"She's not my girlfriend you !" I retorted, stopping the swings.

 

***

"Yeah, yeah, just hurry up already so we can play!" Called another.

"Yuna, these are my friends, but they're being real big butts right now." Seokmin spoke, sticking his tongue out at the four, two of them gladly returned the favour.

"This is Mingyu, you can blame him for hurting you."

"I'm sorry, Seokminie's girlfriend." Mingyu teased.

"I told you she's not my girlfriend! That's gross."

"We saw you kiss her knee, so she's your girlfriend." Responded another.

"Be quiet Hoshi!" Complained Seokmin.

"Hoshi?" I asked.

"Yes, Hoshi." The boy said. "I'm Hoshi, and only Hoshi, nothing else."

"Okay."

"That, is Seungcheol." Seokmin pointed towards the kid that was retrieving the ball which landed in a nearby bush. "And Jihoon." The kid was smaller than Seokmin, he couldn't of been more than five, right?

"Come back and play when you're done talking to your girlfriend!" Called Seungcheol as he and the rest walked towards the soccer field.

 

***

Ever since that day, the two had been unseperable, never wanting to leave each other's side. They knew everything about one another, favourite food, colour, even word. The two got themselves in multiple situations, from being loud during class, to ruining their homework with water or juice. Yuna had her friends, while Seokmin had his, they never shared a mutual friend before. Sure they had met the other's friends before, but not long enough that they would be close. Their parents had never met, maybe once during Seokmin's sixth birthday, but their converation didn't last any longer than two minutes. 

Seokmin announced his leave for Japan on his last day of second grade, Yuna couln't cope. School was one of the only places where they got to see eachother, where they caught up over the weekend or a holiday. She cried, and cried. This wasn't the first time he'd seen her in tears, it wasn't anyone else's either. But Seokmin hadn't seen her cry this hard before, she was fragile, he never wanted to let her go, but he had no choice. Before he left, he gave Yuna a purple bracelet, while he had a matching blue one. 

"Whenever you look at this, always think of me." Were the words Seokmin said as he tied it around her wrist.

Yuna's gift to him was a teddy bear, it was supposed to be an 'end-of-the-year' gift, but it ended up being a goodbye gift as well. The last thing that she gave him was a hug.

"Don't ever forget me, okay?" Yuna asked under tears

"I could never." He replied. Those were the last things they would ever say to eachother in the next ten years.

 

***

Choi Yuna, I could never forget that name, that face, or anything about her. I couldn't forget her, even if I wanted to, it would be impossible. I especially couldn't forget how she looked that first day we met. Flower crown and dress, tears and giggles. I wonder if she still has the bracelet? That's the question I ask every night before I go to bed.

 

***

Lee Seokmin, his bright smile, comforting nature. It would be hard to forget him, even if I wanted to, it would be impossible. Every night, I look up at the stars, wondering. Lee Seokmin, you'll come back right? Year after year, he never did, but I believed, I never gave up hope.

 

***

They always thought about one another, never forgetting a single detail. The bracelets had never been taken of their wrists. And the presents, they never let go of those either. No matter how much time had passed, or how many miles stood between them, their friendship would remain strong. Ever since that day on the swings.