Chapter 1

Second Male Lead Character Deserves to be Happy Too

The first time Minghao arrived in his new assigned dorm, he was so lost and really didn’t understand where to go because basically the structure of the building is freaking confusing. Everyone in the world would think room 406 definitely will be in the 4th floor. But hey no, apparently it is in the 7th floor. Thankfully there’s a boy, which he assumes is in the same grade as him, showed him where his room is.

“There it is, room 406,” the boy says as he point to the door, where there is a tag with ‘Jeon Wonwoo’ letters written below the big ‘406’ number.

Minghao tries to unlock the door with the key given by the headmaster just early this morning. When he hears the clicked sounds, he smiles softly and turns to the boy who is watching him carefully. “Thank you so much, I don’t think I will ever find the room if I didn’t met you.”

The boy beams brightly showing his white neat teeth. “That’s not a big deal, we are neighbors anyway! I am Seokmin, staying in room 117,” the boy says as he offers a hand for Minghao to shake. Instead of accepting Seokmin’s offering hand, Minghao tilts his head. Seeing the latter’s reaction, Seokmin suddenly continues as if he can read the latter’s confusion, “Ah, room 117 is the one across of yours.”

Minghao completely does not understand, what was the architect of this building thought when they were constructing this dorm. Were they out of their mind or they plain don’t know how to count? “What a unique concept to assigned the room numbers,” Minghao snickers sarcastically as he reaches out his hand to accept Seokmin’s. “I’m Minghao, Xu Minghao, a new transferred student in class 2-4. Nice to meet you, Seokmin.”

“Wow great, we’ll be in the same class!” Seokmin shakes the new kid’s hand excitedly. But the moment their hands separated, Seokmin’s expression changes into some kind of worry. “Um by the way, I think you need to be careful with your roommate. He is a super popular senior, but is really cold. I don’t even know whether he can talk or not. Maybe you don’t have to talk to him or be around him if things are not really urgent. I heard he even bites if someone really annoys him.”

Minghao is not surprised to hear the news at all. He indeed heard about this biting habit of his new roommate from his cousin who is a former classmate of the said roommate. His cousin, Junhui, warned him the same thing right after Minghao told him that he will be rooming with Wonwoo in his new dorm. “I heard,” Minghao laughs, remembering that one time Junhui visited him whining about the pain in his shoulder. “My cousin was Jeon Wonwoo’s classmate last year, and four months ago he got his shoulder bruised for trying to be friendly with Jeon Wonwoo.”

Seokmin gapes. “So that was really true? I thought Mingyu only exaggerated things.”

Minghao nods, still laughing softly. “Well, I do understand why he bit my cousin though. My cousin indeed can be a total pain in the a*s sometimes. And who is Mingyu?”

“Seokmin, would you be hurry? The match will start soon.” A yell is heard from the stairs, a blonde head is peeking behind the wall.

“Oh, I’m sorry I almost forget. Wait a minute, hyung. I’ll be there soon.” Seokmin yells back to the blonde boy. Seokmin was ready to leave before he turns to Minghao and says, “Mingyu is my roommate. Well he was once being a victim of your roommate’s weird behavior. Me and Soonyoung-hyung,” he points to the blonde boy who seems cannot stay still anymore, “are going to watch Mingyu’s soccer match. You wanna come?”

Minghao presses his lips together, thinking that he is not that friendly type of guy who would come to watch a soccer match of someone he has not known before. So he just shakes his head and refused the offer politely.

“Okay then, see you in class tomorrow, Minghao!” was all Seokmin said before he dashes to catch up with Soonyoung, leaving Minghao there standing in the aisle alone with his luggage before him.

Minghao enters his new room to find plenty of shirts and shocks spreading here and there in the floor. “What a mess,” Minghao murmurs to himself, but he decides to clean the mess nonetheless. He picks them up from the floor and puts it next to a pile of other dirty clothes on the bottom bunk. Noticing the bottom bunk is taken by Jeon Wonwoo, he climbs to the top bunk and plops himself there, trying to get some rest before unpacking his stuff. But the vibrations in his pocket disturb him, and he feels more disturbed seeing the caller’s name. Wen Junhui.

“Little Haohao, go down now and let’s have dinner together,” the voice from the other line sings.

“Jun-ge, how many time should I told you to stop calling me that. If you call me by that name in front of my new friends tomorrow, I’ll make sure I’ll hit you with my nun-chuck.”

“Oh so my little baobei already make some friends? I thought you only need me.” Eventhough Junhui can’t see it, Minghao rolls his eyes and does not reply to the older greasy statement. Getting no answer from his baby cousin, Junhui continues, “So have you met Jeon Wonwoo? Keep in mind, just don’t think that you can be close to him as easy as you get along with Hansol. He hates everyone, sends death glare to everyone, and bites everyone.”

“Oh come on, ge. Just because he did those things to you, does not mean he treats everyone that way.” Minghao did not leave his previous beloved school just to be treated like Junhui by his current number one idol, a nation champion in athletics, Jeon Wonwoo. “I specifically moved here to get close to him, to know him better. Just stop ruining my dreams!”

“But he bit me, he kicked me with his strong limbs, he—“

“Shut it out, ge. I’m coming down. Meet me in front of my dorm building in five minutes.” Minghao does not want to hear more salts from Junhui regarding his beloved running athlete.

It has been two years since he fell in love with Jeon Wonwoo and his feelings toward the athlete never changes ever since. Thanks to Junhui’s constant chatters about his former classmate, Minghao finally decided to leave his previous school to enter his cousin’s school so he can see his idol everyday in real life, not only in television or magazine. He did envy Junhui though. Despite always being ignored by Wonwoo, at least the older Chinese boy gets to interact with him, the perks of being classmates. He knows he won’t have a change to be the runner’s classmate, since he is a year younger. Breathing the same air with the love of his life is already enough for him. But who would think that God apparently loves him that much? After he finished the administration of the school transfer, he was told that he will room with a Jeon Wonwoo for the next one year.

Junhui told him it was a disaster, because the dorm has no other vacant room, so the headmaster just let Minghao fill the spot. No one ever wants to room with Wonwoo after his previous roommate graduated. Therefore Minghao must be cursed, Junhui recited. Yet Minghao sure thinks he is blessed.

-------------------------------------------

Later that night after a long conversation with his whiny and naggy cousin, finally Minghao is able to go back to his room. The door is already unlocked, so he assumes that Jeon Wonwoo is inside. With his heart thumping so loudly in his chest he collects the courage to push the door and meet his new roommate, his beloved person since two years ago.

But even before Minghao reached the door handle, the door is swung open. A tall and tanned skin boy is standing there, with a shock expression written in his face. “Ah sorry, Wonwoo-hyung is inside,” is all the boy says before he walk pass by Minghao and enters the room 117. That is Seokmin’s room.

Minghao enters his room with a bewildered look, thanks to the unknown boy. He does not even realize that Wonwoo is there, sitting in front of his study desk and watching his movement.

“That boy lives across of our room. He just used the bathroom, don’t be surprise if you find him there every morning and night,” a low tone voice greets Minghao. The senior turns his face back to his books on the desk while continue, “You must be Xu Minghao. Feel free to do whatever you want. I won’t bother you, so please you do the same too.”

“J-jeon Wonwoo-sunbaenim?” Minghao stutters. He is thinking hard what to say next, since he has to make a good first impression in front of his beloved one.

Wonwoo is turning back to face Minghao. “Yes, you can read the tag in front of the room, don’t you? Now do you mind to keep silent? I am reading, and I don’t like to hear any noise.” His tone is not sharp, but every words feel like swords that stab Minghao’s chest. Never even once he imagined that his first ever conversation with Wonwoo will turn out to be like this.

“Ah… Okay. Nice to meet you, sunbaenim.” Minghao waits for about 10 seconds, but not even a nod or a hum he receives as an answer, so he just go to the bathroom and prepare to take a bath. Damn Junhui is right, that boy is so damn cold and rude. No, not rude, maybe he just does not know how to speak nicely.

While showering, every words that Wonwoo just said keep playing in Minghao’s mind. He can’t accept the fact that Wonwoo treated him like this, treated him like the way he usually treats Junhui. Wait, did Jeon Wonwoo knows that he is a cousin of Wen Junhui? And maybe that is why he treated Minghao that way too? Since he seems to hate Junhui a lot.