0.2 seconds [part i]

0.2 seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I've done it!"

At the sound of his roommate’s intrusion, Kyuhyun nearly toppled backwards in his seat, surprised by both the loud banging of the door being carelessly thrown open, as well as by the rambunctious battle cry of Donghae bulldozing into his bedroom. Before he could even fathom a response, the older man (although he often acted more like the youngest one within their circle of friends) latched himself onto Kyuhyun's arm, violently tugging and jerking it around.

"With this design, the Lee family jewelers are going to become the next Cartier!" Donghae shouted, pearly whites glistening as his beaming grin stretched from ear to ear.

"Ow!" Kyuhyun cried out, instinctively using his free limbs in attempt to pry away the man’s tight hold. "We've talked about this before! Use your words first!"

Donghae immediately released the now-limp arm from his grasp and fell back with a dull plop! onto the foot of Kyuhyun's bed, legs cheerfully dangling off the edge. Without another word, he reached into the seemingly endless pocket of his coat and pulled out his well-loved smartphone, silently tinkering with it. Just as Kyuhyun's lips parted, fully prepared to scold Donghae for disrupting his scheduled study session, the brightly lit device was shoved in front of his face, repeatedly knocking against the younger’s glasses frames.

"Look! Look at this!"

"Stop hitting me in the face and I will!" Kyuhyun snapped, plucking the device out of Donghae's expecting hand before a bruise could form.

The younger man huffed at Donghae. Though judging by the toothy grin that seemed to be permanently etched never seemed to quite dissipate even in instances like this, he remained unfazed by the deadly glare sent his way. Instead, the former hurriedly gestured for Kyuhyun to take a look at the phone's contents. Deciding that his best choice of action was to comply before Donghae unknowingly became physical once more, Kyuhyun glanced down. Displayed before him was an image of what seemed to be another one of Donghae's designs for the small jewelry shop that his family owned in Mokpo.

Compared to the previous "works of art" that Donghae had shared with him in the past, the chained bracelet was relatively tame and simplistic, the style similar to the ones that he often saw the girls in his class gushing over. Sitting in middle of the chain was a gold plated band, half of it embedded with sparkling diamond-like gems. His interest piqued at the sight of the seemingly ornate engraving on the opposite side of the golden band. Kyuhyun curiously squinted his eyes, scanning the elaborate text before glancing back at the bracelet’s designer.

"0.2 seconds?"

"Yes!" Donghae cheered, snatching his phone back from his younger friend. He smiled proudly, his doe-like eyes threatening to spill over with a flood of tears as calloused fingers gingerly hovered over the image.

Kyuhyun sighed at Donghae, pushing the rim of his askew glasses back onto the bridge of his nose. "I'm probably going to regret asking you this, but...pray tell, what does that even mean?"

Donghae’s easy going smile suddenly fell, a feat that seemed borderline unjust. His typically slouched posture was easily self-corrected as he sat up straighter than Kyuhyun had ever seen in all the years of knowing the other. The older man's eyes narrowed as he glanced around the room, his expression leery before silently gesturing Kyuhyun towards himself. Not in the mood to deal with another one of Donghae's fits, Kyuhyun complied to the excessively theatrical demand. The younger man pushed himself from his seat by his desk and plopped down next to Donghae. However, the very moment his bottom made contact with the soft mattress of his bed, a hand tightly gripped onto the younger man's wrist before yanking the rest of Kyuhyun's lanky form in the same direction.

"They say...that it only takes 0.2 seconds...to fall in love," was all Donghae breathed into his ear before Kyuhyun felt his self-proclaimed, fragile body become the victim of abuse once more. Donghae took a hold of both his forearms, vigorously shaking him back and forth with the pent-up excitement. "It's totally romantic right?!"

"Not at all," Kyuhyun deadpanned. "It's a gimmick."

An incredulous gasp slipped between Donghae’s lips. He quickly pulled up the internet browser on his phone, his fingers frantically typing on the screen's keyboard as if everything he owned as at stake. "Look at this!" he demanded, shoving the phone in front of Kyuhyun's eyes once more. Luckily, Kyuhyun had anticipated a similar response and quickly leaned back, avoiding the impact between his face and Donghae's phone by mere centimeters. On the screen, there were multiple search results for the term '0.2 seconds falling in love'.

The younger male snorted, pushing himself off the bed as he went back to his desk. He ignored Donghae's pout, opting instead to turn his attention back to the textbook he had been perusing through for the past hour or so. "There's no legitimacy to that statement. And I highly doubt those articles listed can even be considered accurate since you logically can't calculate the time nor the speed it takes for an individual to 'fall in love' with someone because-"

"Screw logic," Donghae interjected, arms spread out as he flung himself backwards onto the bed. "Kyuhyun-ah, you can't always rely on numbers and calculations to find the answer. Sometimes in life, you just gotta go with your gut."

"And assuming that I “go with my gut”, why haven't I experienced this so-called phenomena?"

The older man backled boisterously as he rolled over onto his stomach. Propping himself upright with his elbows, Donghae suddenly looked years younger than he already did with his face cupped by the palm of his hands. His normally naive and confused expression morphed into a rare mischievous one that only appeared when hanging around Kim Heechul for an extended period of time. "Easy. You have the worst taste when it comes to dating."

Kyuhyun shot an annoyed glare at the cheeky grin. "Shut up."

Donghae playfully stuck his tongue at his younger friend, who only rolled his eyes in response. "So you don't deny it? Or maybe you've just been filled with so much lust and ual attraction that you haven't been able to properly feel love."

"And this is why I never have serious conversations with you Donghae,"

"Oi, its Donghae-hyung to you," He corrected. The older man rolled off the bed, sauntering over to where the younger male was sitting and playfully mussed the head full of chestnut colored hair.

"Anyways, even though you're ill-mannered...and cynical...and rather unapproachable when it comes to others, as your favorite hyung, I sincerely hope that one day you'll meet that special someone and you'll get to experience that warm fuzzy feeling of falling in love, even if it takes a smidge longer than 0.2 seconds. And whenever you find them, I'll even custom-make a bracelet for the poor sap."

"I hate you," Kyuhyun murmured, moreso to himself despite being pulled into a brief, yet still forceful mix between a cuddle and a hug. Just as Donghae, who excused himself to share his excitement with others, closed the rickety bedroom door behind him, the younger male let out a near inaudible scoff, unbeknownst to the curious pair of eyes that continued to peer between the cracks. "And if that ever happens, I'll let you tell everyone how you’re right."

A delighted gasp slipped from the smile spreading across the older man's face. Without another word, he scurried off, eager to share with Hyukjae the important details of the newly formed pact.

~*~

Heavy winter boots trudged through the snow covered ground, leaving deep imprints amidst the boundless fields of white. Regardless of the fact that the snowstorm had dwindled down considerably, its weakened remnants continued to flutter across the university grounds, though most of the student inhabitants were fortunate enough to observe from a distance within the warmth of the university buildings.

K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter