Chapter 29

Wings

Jin was just beginning to wonder what he was going to make for dinner that night when there was a knock on the door. All seven of the boys froze, heads whipping around to stare at the door. Jin was the first to move, glancing at Namjoon before hesitantly walking over to the door. The knock came again, making them all jump.

The oldest rolled his eyes. We’re all way too scared. He took the last few steps forward and jerked the door open, ready to deal with whatever was out there.

“Hey, Jin hyung!” Jackson said loudly (read as: shouted) as he pushed past the broad shouldered man and into the apartment. He was carrying three large pizzas and the aroma quickly filled the air. “I brought you guys dinner. Because I’m the best, right?”

“Whoo! Jackson hyung!” Taehyung dashed over to grab the pizzas, setting them down on the coffee table and opening them up. “Pepperoni~” He took a piece and started chowing down as Jimin and Jungkook investigated the other boxes, finding cheese and sausage respectively.

“What’s going on?” Jin asked, confused.

Mark, having been left in the hallway, sighed, shaking his head at his overly energetic roommate. “Sorry for barging in. Jackson wanted to bring you guys pizza.” Not only did they work at the same pizzeria as Yoongi, which led to him getting a job there, but they lived just across the hall with another couple of boys. Jin wasn’t entirely sure how many people actually lived there at any given point, with what seemed like an endless parade of people coming and going, but Jackson and Mark were permanent fixtures there, along with Jaebum and Youngjae.

The four had come over a couple days after the seven had moved in with pizza then and generally tried to be friendly. Unfortunately, after moving around and constantly looking over their shoulders had made the group more than a little paranoid and the entire thing had been awkward. It had taken a bit of time, but the boys had warmed up to their neighbors and exchanged greetings when they passed in the hall. Yoongi was more familiar with them, being coworkers, but the younger ones had become fast friends, particularly with Yugyeom who was there fairly often. Jin still had his doubts about getting close to people. What if they were spies? What if they found out?

The thing that concerned him the most though was how the younger ones would react if they had to leave right away, without being able to say goodbye to their friends? It would be hard, Jin knew. But it wasn’t like he could tell them not to make friends.

He smiled at Mark, inviting him in. They enjoyed the pizza while watching some horror movie Mark had brought for entertainment, which led to Jimin, Hoseok, and Jackson all cowering together beneath a shared blanket on the couch. It would have been cute if they didn’t keep screaming.

Halfway through, they ran out of pizza, so Jin went to make popcorn, Jackson volunteering to help. From the way he sprinted to the kitchen and immediately turned the light on, Jin figured that it was less that he wanted to be helpful and more to escape the movie a bit.

Pulling out a couple packets of popcorn, he tossed one to Jackson to put in the microwave. “Two minutes works the best,” he advised. Jackson unwrapped it and started the time. Jin pulled down a couple large bowls from the shelf. There was a bit of awkward waiting as the popcorn started to pop. They could hear the movie playing in the other room. It sounded like someone had just gotten brutally murdered. Jackson jumped when the microwave beeped.

Jin poured it into one of the bowls as Jackson started heating the next one. They repeated the process once more before returning to the living room with the three bowls of popcorn. Jackson had just handed a bowl to Yoongi when Mark suddenly grabbed his other hand from where he’d been mostly hidden on the couch.

Jackson screeched. The stocky man somehow managed to crawl onto the back of Yoongi’s chair, clinging to it desperately and looking around as if he was going to be attacked again.

Mark was dying, falling onto the floor as he laughed. Jimin, Taehyung and Hoseok were also laughing, limbs flailing as they did. Jackson realized what had happened, looking at where he was. His face was red, even in the dim light coming from the TV screen, though he tried to hide it as he got back down.

“You’re the worst, Tuan.”

“That was amazing. Your face—“ Mark cut off as he started laughing again. Jackson pouted, taking Mark’s spot on the couch. “I didn’t know you would actually get that scared.”

Jin watched the two as he passed out the two bowls he had and took his seat on the floor by Namjoon’s legs, leaning his head on the younger’s knee. Mark and the other’s quieted down at their attention returned to the movie. The redhead crawled up onto the couch, squeezing in between the arm and Jackson. He wrapped his arms around Jackson’s shoulders and laid his legs across his lap, leaning into whisper something in Jackson’s ear to make the other smile. It was cute, the way they sometimes got wrapped up in their own little world where no one else mattered.

It must be nice not to be afraid.