Chapter 1

Wings of a Broken Angel

The rain broke through the air at an awkward angle. His hair sticking to the side of his face as he pushed through the small storm that had landed upon his small neighborhood. Many people would had stayed indoors with a storm brewing outside, but rain never did seem to bother Jooheon. In fact, he loved the feeling of the cool water against his face and arms. He loved the sound of the water tapping down against the ground. The little pitter and patter that the small drops of rain created. A sort of natural music that always seemed to clear Jooheon's thoughts. He stood still at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to signal for his turn to walk. His eyes closing for a short moment as he took in a deep breath. The unquiet quietness of the rain being the only thing to surround him. His previously running mind, now at a stand still. His world at perfect piece, until he heard the soft beeping of the crosswalk light signaling to him that it was time for him to walk. His shoes kicking water up just slightly as he walked quickly across the road. Up ahead would be the huge bridge that connected his side of town to the other side of town, a large river running below it. His side was populated with housing developments as well as the local library and school. The other side however, was filled with restaurants and shopping centers as well as some bigger businesses.

He could already see the bridge approaching his line of sight. There were no cars out at the time of night. It was around 3am and most people were either busy working a night shift or chasing after dreams in their sleep. He enjoyed the fact that he could go out on nightly walks like this. No one else around. He enjoyed the calm and quiet that this time of night offered. It always felt as if he was the only person in the world. He didn't have to worry about others and could for once be selfish in his wn thoughts. In his own world. As he stepped onto the bridge he could already sense that something was off though. The wind seemed to drop a few degrees. The cool air wrapping harshly around his arms and torso. The rain had stopped to a few light loose drops of water falling here and there. Even though he loved the quiet, this seemed too quiet to him. His eyes roamed back and forth across the bridge, something in his gut telling him that something was off. Something was wrong. 

Suddenly his ears caught the sound of something falling against the ground and he couldn't help but to move towards the sound. Most people would had fled in the opposite direction, with fear for themselves clouding their minds, but instead he felt the fear for another crawl through his veins. The bridge was pretty wide and long compared to most others and with it being so dark out, he had a hard time finding the source of the noise. He would had missed the source all together, if it wasn't for a voice floating through the air. A sweet, soft, melodious voice that seemed to dance through the air and curl around his ears. His head snapped to the side, his eyes finally being able to pick out the sight of a girl standing barefoot at the edge of the bridge. Her shoes had seemed to be tossed down on the bridge floor, most likely the noise he had heard earlier. 

"I can't do this anymore", he listened carefully as the girl seemed to speak to no one in particularly. He moved quietly as to not startle her, his eyes watching her carefully, ready to run out and grab her if he sensed her move. As he got closer he could finally see the girl clearly. Her dark brown hair was blown about in the air, a few damp locks sticking to her neck and forehead. She was wearing white shorts with an oversized black shirt that fell halfway down her thighs. Her skin seemed to glow in the moonlight.

"I just want this all to end. I just want to die". she cried out. Her voice sounding more broken now than before. The melodious sound now having a crack in it. 

"Why", Jooheon slowly stepped closer so that she could see him? Her body jumping a bit at the sudden voice. His body tensed, ready to spring forward and catch her, but she didn't loose her balance. Instead she just stared at him with empty eyes. Beautiful, but empty eyes. "Go away," through clenched teeth she slipped out those words, her fingers curling into the ends of her shirt. Her eyes swelling with tears. "You can't stop me. Go away....GO"! 

Jooheon seemed unfazed though, standing there calmly as he watched her. The way she was crying, the way she had slightly, just slightly stepped a bit from the ledge. He could tell she didn't want this. He could tell she would regret this if she did try. "I won't stop you".

The girl seemed shocked at his words, her eyes widening just a bit and her lips parting into a small gasp. She looked over at the river and then back to him before biting her lip, "You wont"?

Jooheon just shook his head. Every bit of his body was telling him to reach out and save her. His muscles straining as he forced himself to stay still. "If I stop you now, what will that even mean? You can always come back and hour from now or a few days from now and try again. I won't stop you, because me stopping you will mean nothing. You have to stop yourself". He knew from a past experience that you couldn't force anyone to get better. You had to let them choose that path for themselves. Of course, you could slightly push and encourage them, but in the end it was up to them with what they would do with their own lives. "I knew you didn't care", the melodious voice became coated with a sort of venom. Her feet moving closer to the edge now. "No one ever cares".

Jooheon moved to stand in front of her now. His eyes locking with hers as he spoke in a calm tone, "I never said I didn't care. If I didn't care I wouldn't have even approached you. I want nothing more than to see you come down from up there. To see you walk away from here in one piece. What I am saying is...I won't force you. I won't make you come down here if you don't want to. If you do decide to though, I can help you down", he reached out his hand, offering it to the girl, hoping with all of his being that she would come down. He really didn't want to see her fall. He didn't want to watch her slip away. He had seen that once before and he had no desire to relive his past. The girl seemed to hesitate, her eyes moving from his hand to his eyes and then to the river below her. Back and forth. Back and forth. The wind began to calm down around them. Nothing but a small, chill breeze ghosting over their skin. 

A few more minutes passed by as such, the girl debating on her options and Jooheon patiently waiting for her to decide. He could feel relief wash over him though, as the girl reached out to take his hand, jumping down from the edge of the bridge. "I won't...I won't promise not to try again, but tonight. Tonight I won't do it", the girl now spoke in a bit of a shy and embarrassed tone, her eyes cast down to the ground as she slipped her feet back into her shoes, he fingers still wrapped tightly around Jooheon's hand. 

"I'm glad you decided to live through tonight", he gave her a bright smile. His dimples showing in the moonlight, as he gave her hand a small squeeze. "You should get home though, you're freezing", he could feel how cold her skin was, her fingers slightly shaking in his hold. 

"I will. Um...," she released his hand before stepping back away from Jooheon, "thank you.."

"Jooheon".

"Ah, thank you Jooheon. Um, I'm Hyemi". He gave her one last smile, before he watched her turn around and begin to run through the night air, heading it what he assumed the direction of her home and just like that she was gone. Once again it was nothing but Jooheon and the cool night air. 

 

Author's Note: Thank you so much for reading. Please comment. You will get to know Jooheon's past soon as well as Hyemi's.