The Sun and The Moon

The Downfall of the Moon

It was a pair of brothers, Dalsun and Haesik, they lived with their mother who had been widowed. Their home was deep in a mountain valley. To survive with their children, the mother worked doing housework in the houses of neighboring villages.

But one day it required her to work at a banquet that was done in a very remote village. Before going to work, the mother told her children: "Children, today I must go to work in a house which is across twenty blocks from here. So when it gets dark, close the door well and not open to anyone until I return."

The children nodded and said goodbye to their mother, greeting her away with their hands. After a while it became dark and night, but the mother did not returned home yet. The frightened girl told her brother: "I am afraid, why Mom hasn't come yet?"

The little boy soothed his older sister saying, "Remember that has gone to work in a house twenty blocks from here. I'm sure that it is for that that she's being late. Be patient."

The mother finished her work when it was dark. She arranged a package of rice cakes that had been given at the banquet on his head thinking about how much her children would like it and set off to return home. The mother walked very afraid, because howls and screams of wild animals could be heard, but she was giving herself tempers thinking on her two children who were waiting at home. When he crossed the first hill, came face to face with a huge tiger that jumped out of the darkness and was in his way. Sniffing, the tiger asked him what was that that she had on his head and the mother had no choice but to answer that were cakes for her children.

The tiger approached him menacingly and said: "If you give me a cake, I will not devour them."

The mother gave it right away and ran. Across the second hill, the tiger reappeared  and threatened the same way. The scene was repeated until the nineteenth blocks when the mother ran out the cakes. The tiger then uttered a terrible roar of anger and, without hearing her prayers, devoured the mother in a jiffy.

But the huge tiger keep being hungry and seeing a light in a house that was at the end of the twentieth block, addressed it there. The children were still waiting for their mother without imagining what had happened to her.  Then the tiger touched the door tightly and imitating the voice of the mother told the children to open the door. But the crafty children realized that it was a deception and asked the tiger to show it hand through the crack of the door. Seeing the tiger's paw, the terrified children fled through the back door and climbed the tree that was at the well in the courtyard. The tiger then went to the well and seeing the reflection in the water surface, discovered the children in the treetop.

 Laughing asked them, "Kids, how have you come up so high?" 

The boy came up with a ruse to fool the tiger and replied. "We put sesame oil in our hands"

The tiger was fierce, but very silly , it went to the kitchen and had it's feet smeared with oil. And every time it tried to climb it slipped hopelessly.

Dalsun and Haesik taunted the tiger and the girl told her brother under his breath: "What dumbest tiger! He does not realize that could go nailing its paws on the trunk."

But the tiger who had a keen ear heard what the girl told her brother and nailed its paws on the trunk and started go up with long strides, its whiskers when thinking of the sweet taste of the children.Terrified, the children started to mourn.

Haesik began to pray to the gods with all his heart: "Gods in heaven, if you want to save our lives, drop us a rope!"

It quickly dropped a straw rope from the sky and the children climbed on it, disappearing into the clouds.

The tiger was so frustrated, but it not give up and then also prayed aloud: "Gods in heaven, have mercy on this hungry tiger and throw me a rope too!"

Another straw rope fell from the sky and the tiger grabbed it full of happiness. It began to climb and climb, but when it was about to disappear into the clouds, the rope burst into pieces and the tiger fell on a sorghum field, tinting it red with his blood. 

What had happened? The sky had sent it a rotten straw rope to punish him for his evil deeds.

The children, now safe from all danger, Dalnim and Haenim. They had become in the sun that lights the day and the moon lights up the night.

 


 

Jinyoung closed the book and looked beside him to his little brother; Haejin was already asleep. Being careful to no wake him up, Jinyoung left the bed nad turned of the lights of the room after placing the book of korean mythology back on its place. Haejin really loved that story about the sun and the moon, it always make him happy and Jinyoung wanted him to be happy.

"Good night Jin..." He whispered before left the room.

He walked across the hall, ignoring the yells and cries coming from downstairs and locked himself in his own room.

He was tired.

Tired of hearing his parents arguing everyday, tired of being ignored on his own house, tired of lying to his brother by saying that everything was going fine, tired of being bullied on school. Jinyoung was tired of feeling useless.

He was sure that if he wasn't there —if he wasn't alive— everything would be better.

He would stop feeling tired.