001

Room 99

ABANDONED

Three doctors rushed to her room. They quickly put wires on her bodies and started to check her body situation. When her heartbeat went normal, they sighed heavily. Both of them knew that all the doctors were sick of them, to be more specific, their daughter. There’s no specialist for her disease. And to be honest, they were exhausted to. They ran out of energy and money. This entire nightmare started all of a sudden. They didn’t know why. They didn’t know what to do but just… They were speechless.

Oc’s POV

I opened my eyes and might sight was filled with two most important people for me. I smiled and when they did not return it, I was curious. “Mom, what happened?” I asked and sat up. Both of them looked at each other before Dad nodded his head slightly. Mom looked at me with a warm smile that I really love. “Hae in-ah… let’s go for a holiday. Shall we?”

I put on my biggest smile and nodded energetically. I could not wait to spend time out of this hospital.

I took out my suitcase from my closet. The last time I used it was when I went to Jeju-do with my friends but that was three years ago, when I was still healthy and normal. I put all my stuff in there.

“Do I need to bring my medicine?”

I walked downstairs to asked mom but suddenly I saw mom talking with dad about something serious. I didn’t suspect anything and just barged in the living room and smiled like nothing happened. “So what are you guys talking about? Seems serious?” I giggled and their lips just shaped a thin smile. Mom patted the space beside her on the couch. I sat beside her and held her left arm close to my chest. “Done packing?” dad asked and I nodded. “Do I need to bring my medicine? I mean I don’t want to but just asking.” Mom and dad looked at each other. “Up to you, dear” Mom replied.

 

During the car ride, I felt my body was weak and my eyes were droopy. Maybe because during the flight, I just spend my time looking outside the glass window, as the scenery was so beautiful and did not have enough rest that I needed. I draped my legs at the backseat of the car, using both of my hands as a pillow and just drove to dreamland.

 

 

I opened my eyes. I was expecting that my back will totally ached due to the sleep-in-car position but no. I sat up and starting to realise that there was something strange. I looked sideways, knowing nothing about what this place might be. The room was pitching black but I was able to see my mom’s face from the light by the window. I was puzzled and confused. “Mom, what is this place?”

I just couldn’t let go of my grip on her left arm. Her right hand landed on my hand and held it tight. Slowly she pushed my hand away. I just watch her with frowned eyebrows. She stood up and stepped backwards. I just froze on the spot. Her face slowly disappeared behind a door with her cheeks wet with tears.  I heard the door was lock and I ran to the door.

“Open this door! Mom... Help,” I screamed but there seemed to be no answers. Suddenly the light was on and I could see the whole atmosphere of the cold breezy room. It was a ward. There are two beds there. Suddenly the door opened. A middle-aged woman entered.

“Hello Miss Park Haein, I am your doctor from today on,”

I just couldn’t help myself but to let my jaws dropped.

 

The doctor, Mrs Kang was throwing me some questions about my disease. I did not know why but just answer all of those questions. I was quite sure that they did not have bad intentions on me. They showed me my room and I was asked to take a rest before they decided what to do to me.

I looked at the ordinary bed that I have used to sleep for years. ‘Hospital bed’. I sighed and sat on the bed.

“You must be the new girl. So why you’re here?” I startled and looked at the person. It’s a pale young girl, probably my age with dark chocolate shoulder-length hair. Her left eye was blue while her right eye was dark chocolate. I looked at her, blinking. I came back to reality and smiled to her. “Yes. I am the ‘new girl’. And I don’t know why I am here,” she seemed satisfied with my answer as she gave me a wide smile.

“By the way, I am Sena. Hong Sena. Please to meet you. Do not look at me like I am a complete alien because I have a boyfriend and I am loved, for your information. And believe me; if you like or even attracted to my boyfriend I will throw you in the sea, alive. So hey, pleasure to be your roommate,”

I raised my left eyebrow and gave her my most awkward smile. “I guess no one will like your boyfriend. He is so lucky.”

‘Yeah, so lucky to have a psycho girlfriend like you’. Continue Haein but in her mind. No offense.

“They sent your bag already. The right closet is yours. You need to change your clothes. There are in your closet. At 5.00 p.m. there’s an exercise time but you do not need to change. It’s just light stretching. Dinners are at 8, supper at 9.30 and lights off at 10. Get up early. Breakfasts are at 7. Class start at 8.30 a.m. and break at 10 a.m., you have check-up at 12 but according to your schedule. It usually takes just 30 minutes. Lunch at 2.30 and tea time is at 4. I know. Packed schedule. But during these times. Sometimes change because we have class,”

“Pardon me. Class? What do you mean by class?

“Just like any regular school. Class.  It sometimes boring. I often skip them. They just taught us the basics so that when we get out of this lame hospital, we might slightly get a chance to be normal. I mean, a person with a job. But, yeah just don’t care much,” she waved her hand as she took a sip of the glass of water in her hand. I could not tell what her disease was but I am certainly sure that it was serious. There’s more than ten bottles of medicine on the table beside her bed. I held my chest. Where are mom and dad? They refused to answer my questions about them and I really do hope that what I was thinking was not the truth.

 

As what I was told, I went down to the garden at the backside of the hospital. There, I could see a beautiful beach and the sky was so blue. The breezes really help me to relax my mind and body. One by one person came and joined me. I realised that they were not that happy for me to be here. My minds recalled what Sena told me, ‘But please, make good friends. There a dozen of bad patients here and I really do not want you to get involved with any of them,’ She had warn me so maybe she was nice. I assumed that she was just terrified if I like her boyfriend. Well, let’s just see.

The green grass was moving side to side and about 20 patients were there to do the light stretching. I heard that there were more than 50 patients in this hospital but where did the rest go? I provoked myself to just ignore and do not care much.

I saw Sena and a tall guy next her, just standing a few feet away from me. Maybe that’s her boyfriend. Okay, I couldn’t help myself but to gasp. Her boyfriend was so good-looking. His bronze hair was shining and his pale skin was so contrast with his pair of pink lips. Suddenly, a guy appeared from Sena’s back and hugged her. She laughed and the guy kissed her cheek. I paused and lift an eyebrow.

As I was so busy watching them, I did not realised that my feet stumbled as someone bumped me from behind. I felt a tight grip on my arm as I was yanked up before my own self could fell hard on the grass. There’s a hand on my waist and my body was pulled close. I opened my eyes and the sunlight blocked my view. I was sure that the person was a man. Slowly, my sight was replaced with his face. My eyes blinked as our eyes met and our face was just three inches away.

“You okay?”