Final

My Gift to You

~ My Gift to You ~

 

“Eh?” Kyungsoo says in surprise, his eyes widening.

“I’m sorry, but I want to spend it with my girlfriend.”

Huh?

Girlfriend?

What girlfriend?

When did he get a girlfriend?

Kyungsoo’s small hands clench the handles of the navy colored gift bag so tightly that his nails start to dig deep crescents into his palms.

He has to blink a couple of times and slow down his rapid breathing in order to thoroughly process the word girlfriend over and over in his head. He then looks to the ground and feels his heart shatter into a million pieces when he realizes that, yes, his best friend whom he harbors a secret crush on is telling him that he has a girlfriend.

Of course he would be into girls Kyungsoo!

Kyungsoo laughs to himself in disbelief. He can’t believe it! He had travelled all the way to Korea from the States just to celebrate his best friend’s birthday. Especially when his said best friend had requested for him to specifically come. Like what the hell? 

Honestly, he should have seen this coming.

“I’m really sorry.”

Kyungsoo lifts his head and shakes his hands out in front of him, “Ah, no, it’s alright, hyung. I—I understand.”

He gives Kyungsoo a small smile before reaching out for his wrist, “And here, take this. You always give me the same thing every year anyway. I don’t really want it. You know, cause I have so many from you already.” He gives Kyungsoo a small, awkward chuckle afterwards.

Kyungsoo reluctantly takes it back from him and tries his best to smile. “Oh…yea, I’m sorry. I should be giving you something else for a change, huh?”

The younger boy holds the returned gift in his hands feeling his heart crumble into even more splintering pieces.

“Well, I’ll be going now. Thanks for remembering my birthday, though.” He gives Kyungsoo a hurried smile and a small pat on his head before turning around.

“Uh…yea…” Kyungsoo mumbles out pathetically. The younger doubts the older had even heard him based on how fast he was already walking away.

Kyungsoo sighs bitterly as he watches the older boy’s back disappear into the large crowd of people. He then looks back down to the blue woven scarf sitting idly in his hands. 

“Why didn’t you take it, hyung?”

My gift to you.

 

---

 

“YAH! YAH! YAH!

“Shh!” Kyungsoo says while putting a finger to his lips. The other boy stares at him incredulously before grumbling under his breath and spitting out a few mouthfuls of profanities. However, Kyungsoo all but ignores him and wraps the blue scarf more tightly around the boy’s neck. He even makes sure that it covers a good part of his face before looking back out the windows of the small café where they were both currently in. Good. There were no more girls wandering about, or in their sights. Once Kyungsoo decides the coast is clear, he roughly grabs the other boy’s grey sweater and yanks him upward from his chair—forcing him to follow after him from behind.

The other boy continues to struggle against Kyungsoo’s hold. He hopes Kyungsoo would release him if he kept being a bother, but after a while of getting no response from the much shorter boy he becomes compliant and allows the determined stranger to guide the both of them to wherever he was leading them to, which Kyungsoo wasn’t even sure of himself really.

The further they walk down the sidewalk the more Kyungsoo starts to notice the amount of stares they were receiving from other people who walking by. He furrows his eyes in exasperation and glares back at anyone who would dare try to stare back at them. Eventually the staring turns into blatant whispering, which only makes Kyungsoo all the more irritated, so he turns around to face the boy only to realize that his hand is still balled up into a tight fist against the other’s grey sweater.

“Yah! Why didn’t you say anything!?” Kyungsoo yells after releasing him. He then proceeds to hit him on the chest with his fist—not even thinking about his actions until it was already too late.

“Well, you’re the one who put this on me and dragged me off!” The boy yells back. He starts to fix his grey sweater back into place, smoothing out the creases after patting the spot where Kyungsoo had hit him.

Kyungsoo reacts to the boy’s outburst by looking away from him. He was feeling rather annoyed now, and puffed out some air, which made his cheeks automatically pout. Once he takes a deep breath and calms himself down Kyungsoo slowly turns his head back to the other boy, who was still standing before him, and a sudden wave of guilt overcomes him. Maybe he shouldn’t have hit him so hard.

“Sorry.” Kyungsoo apologizes, bowing down quickly before standing upright in order to get a good look at him.

Wow, he really does look like him.

The resemblance this boy had to his best friend was astounding to Kyungsoo. Their facial structures were the same, especially their jawlines, which Kyungsoo may or may not stare at a lot when he sees his best friend. Even the way their eyelids droop like a sleepy puppy was the same. Their pouty lips and the slight ridge on their noses and even their sun-kissed tan skin. It was kind of freaking Kyungsoo out now the more he compared them. They just have so many similarities.

“You suddenly have manners?” The other boy scoffs sarcastically waking Kyungsoo from his stupor.

Kyungsoo’s mouth gapes open wide in shock, “Hey, I just helped you escape from all those girls that were chasing after you!”

Kyungsoo stops himself for a second, his eyes flicking away before landing back onto his best friend’s look-alike, “Why were they chasing after you anyway? Tch, it’s not like you’re even that good looking to begin with, you know.”

Ha, don’t kid yourself, Kyungsoo. What the are you saying? You have to admit your best friend is hot, so that means this guy, who looks just like your best friend, is just as hot. C’mon now.  

The boy rolls his eyes and scoffs again, a bit offended by Kyungsoo’s last statement, “It’s none of your business.”

Kyungsoo scowls at him. This boy is just so irritatingly rude and Kyungsoo wants to give him a piece of his mind, but he doesn’t exactly feel like arguing with the guy either, especially with that face of his that looks so much like his best friend, so he gives up. Just thinking about this morning’s incident with his so called best friend was draining all of his energy anyway. All he wants to do now is to dig a hole and bury himself in it so he could hide away from everyone and everything and cry pathetically like the crybaby he knows he is in the inside.

He still can’t believe that two weeks ago his best friend had personally called him, asking him if he could fly out here to Korea for his birthday, and this is what happens to him. He specifically set aside time just for this and the jerk suddenly wants to spend it with his girlfriend instead. If he really wanted to spend it with her then why bother asking him to come at all? He didn’t even accept his gift. What the actual ? How more humiliating can this get?

Why, hyung? How could you? When you already know how much I like you.

A hand suddenly makes contact with the side of his head, and it wasn’t very pleasant to say the least.

“Ow! What the hell was that for!?” Kyungsoo shouts using his left hand to rub the area where the other had just hit him, “God, that ing hurt!”

“Well, because—you! What the hell is wrong with you?” The other starts blubbering nonsensically as he tries to defend himself. He honestly didn’t know why he had even done that to begin with. “Look, you’re the one who dragged me all the way out here by force, yelled at me, and hit me, and yet you have the audacity to stand there and look all sad and mopey.”

Kyungsoo was extremely confused. He couldn’t tell whether the boy was actually genuinely concerned about him, or if he was just being an insensitive jerk. This guy may look like his hyung, but his hyung would have never treated him like this. Geez, what was he? A little kid to this punk? Kyungsoo clenches his fists.

“So, what? I’m just going through an extremely bad day today. I was kind enough to help you out, but no, all the gods of the universe want to with my feels and ruin my day even more so you just end up being another ungrateful bastard. So, you know what? Just—forget it! Why do I even bother?”

Kyungsoo pushes himself passed the other boy and starts to walk away from him not even caring to say a proper word of goodbye. He didn’t want to deal with this bothersome guy any longer.

At first he was intrigued since the boy looked exactly like his hyung, but now he regrets ever coming up to him and saving him from all those crazy wild girls who were chasing after him. The boy looked so desperate for an escape, so all Kyungsoo wanted to do was help the poor guy, but it seems Kyungsoo is the one who’s in desperate need of an escape now.

“No—wait. Just—hey, wait. God dammit, I said wait.”

Kyungsoo continues to walk totally ignoring the ungrateful jerk behind him, that is, until his small arm is yanked backwards.

“Gosh, what the hell is wrong with you?” Kyungsoo says furiously as they face each other.

“I’m sorry.” The other boy mumbles as Kyungsoo tries to wrench his arm away from the other’s hold.

“Hah?” Kyungsoo says in confusion stopping his prior actions to take in what the other had just said.

“I said I’m sorry.” The boy rubs the back of his neck, embarrassed, “You know, for being mean to you.”

Kyungsoo stares at him in a daze. With the way the other boy had said it he sounded so sincere. It gave Kyungsoo weird chills down his spine, but mostly it did weird things to his heart.

No, don’t be fooled, Kyungsoo. Not even with that jerk’s stupidly adorable puppy face that looks just like your best friend’s.

“Um—”

“Why don’t we hang out?” The other boy suddenly interjects, sounding hopeful, and catching Kyungsoo completely off guard.

“What?”

“I’ll treat you to something in appreciation for you saving me from all those girls.”

This was happening all a bit too fast like a spiral suddenly going out of control. Using all his strength, Kyungsoo wrings his arm away from the other boy’s grip and tries to compose himself. He stands tall, or at least as tall as he could since the other boy was already so damn tall, and holds his head up high, “No, thanks. I don’t need your apology, and I’m not hungry, either.”

But, you know, karma is a .

Kyungsoo’s stomach growls obnoxiously right at that exact moment he had said those words, and it just continues to growl in that same obnoxious manner. He clenches his teeth together from the humility and gives the taller boy an embarrassed, clenched smile.

Dammit. Is this what I get for skipping breakfast just to see hyung?

The other boy chuckles lightly at Kyungsoo’s sour expression, which the smaller boy finds surprisingly pleasant to hear. It was rather cute the way the boy’s eyes crinkled and how he let out a soft snort at the end of his laugh. Kyungsoo shakes his head from the thought.

Ha. No. This boy is not cute. Don’t think such things, Kyungsoo. Stop it!

“C’mon. I know a good place.”

“Ah, no, really I—”

The taller boy laughs again and takes Kyungsoo by the hand, “Let’s go!”

“Wait! Wah, don’t pull so hard!”

And what do you know?

Of all the places the guy could have taken Kyungsoo he takes him to the most common sub sandwich shop in the city. At least they sold really good boba drinks here.

It wasn’t a place Kyungsoo expected the boy to take him, but he felt strangely comforted being with him. Maybe it was because of what had happened to him this morning with his best friend. Being with this punk, even though he’s a complete stranger, felt better than being pitifully alone.

The boy finally comes back to the table where Kyungsoo is sitting at and hands him a strawberry flavored boba drink.

Kyungsoo eyes the drink wearily, “Really, why are you doing this?”

“Please, just take it.” The boy says moving the drink even closer to Kyungsoo.

“Fine.” Kyungsoo mumbles, “Thanks.” He then takes the drink and supports it with both his hands. He sips the drink gratefully despite his mixed up feelings and hums to himself at the taste. It was refreshing and very delicious. Probably the best boba he’s ever had actually. He unconsciously smiles and was feeling a lot happier for some reason. Kyungsoo doesn’t even realize that the other was looking at him the entire time with a soft expression.

“Do you like it?”

Kyungsoo looks up and is once again completely caught off by the other boy. He blinks somewhat a little stupidly as his brain tries to formulate a decent response, “Oh. Yea. It’s good. I like it.”

“Good. I’m glad.” The boy says with a smile.

Kyungsoo continues to look at the other boy even when the other had turned his head away to people-watch the many oblivious and mindless, walking pedestrians outside the window.

Kyungsoo frowns slightly. What’s with this punk being so nice to him all the sudden? He was just way too calm. There haven’t been any yelling or mean remarks from him either. It was hard for Kyungsoo to just accept the boy’s behavior especially when the boy had been so furious with him when they had first met. Kyungsoo narrows his eyes suspiciously, keeping his current frown plastered to his face. It was just really too weird.

Don’t be fooled, Kyungsoo. Don’t be fooled.

Oh, but, wow he has such nice soft looking hair, and that smile, and god, his ing jawline—

The other boy feeling a pair of eyes focused on him for a bit too longer than necessary turns back to look at Kyungsoo, and gives him a questioning look. Kyungsoo immediately looks away, taking bigger gulps of his drink to distract himself, and nearly choking on a boba in the process. He hopes the boy isn’t able to read his thoughts even though he knows very well that it would be impossible for him to do so.

However, that warm smile of his. He looks so much like his best friend like that. Seriously, they were practically identical. That familiar kind and warm smile. And he was still wearing the blue scarf that he had put around him this morning when they were running away from all those girls. He suddenly misses his hyung. The blue scarf reminding him why he was even here in the first place. It leaves him feeling very lonely, an empty weighted feeling pulling at his heart.

The sound of a wooden chair screeches lightly on the floor as the other boy stands up. He extends a friendly hand out toward the smaller boy across the table from him, “Hey, let’s go somewhere else.”

Kyungsoo stares at the offered hand blankly, “Hm? But, I have to finish this—”               

“Don’t worry about it. You can drink it along the way.”

“But.”

Oh.

There it was. That warm and kind smile again. “You can trust me.”

“W-Wait. Hey, what are you—yah!”

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” The other boy was laughing cheerfully, tugging onto Kyungsoo’s hand once again, and somehow their fingers intertwine as he rushes Kyungsoo out of the small sub sandwich shop. The smaller is finding it hard not to laugh along with the other boy as they both run down the sidewalk, disturbing the many others who were also passing by, but the two had no care to whoever or whatever was around them as they joyously continued on their way.

Throughout the rest of the day the taller boy took Kyungsoo to the most random places and would blabber away about the most randomness of things. Kyungsoo was surprised the other boy could actually talk so much. With that stoic face the other portrayed when they had first encountered he would have never fathomed how childlike the boy could be. He liked talking about his three dogs he had back at home and he would often refer to them as his children. He also doesn’t just like chicken. Oh, no, that would be the greatest lie of the century. He loves it. He went into great descriptive detail with that and why Kyungsoo should also love eating chicken, too. Honestly, the more time he spent with the taller boy, the weirder he got, but nonetheless he was still quite charming even with all his quirks. Kyungsoo had to finally admit that the boy was cute.

He even learned why the other was being chased by all those girls. Apparently he was a dancer. One of the top performers at this prestigious fine arts school called SM University. Many famous and world renowned people have come there to study the fine arts. The boy had just finished a practice session for an upcoming show and was bombarded by his fangirls once he stepped out from the locker rooms. He claims those were his very dedicated and loyal fans. Kyungsoo simply laughed.

Eventually his antics were making Kyungsoo go crazy. He was having a hard time keeping up with him, but at the same time he was having the most fun that he’s ever had in such a long time. Before he knew it, it had become nighttime.

Their last stop of the day, an abandoned park.    

They were both on the swings competing to see who could swing the highest. Each boy laughing their hearts out and provoking the other in mirth at who was going to win. The other boy finally caves and claims Kyungsoo to be the winner. Kyungsoo shouts in glee, but is challenged once more when the other suggest who could jump off the swings the farthest. Kyungsoo accepts the challenge in a heartbeat. The other boy shouts down 3-2-1 and both boys go flying momentarily in the air before falling dramatically on top of the soft bark on the ground below. The other boy falls first, slightly farther than Kyungsoo and coughs out a raspy laugh when Kyungsoo ungracefully flops on top of him. Kyungsoo smiles and laughs brightly, unknowingly holding the other boy tightly in his arms.

“I won this time.” The other boy says quietly, looking at Kyungsoo with that same warm expression he’s been giving him so much throughout the day.

Kyungsoo breathes out the last of his laughter and tilts his head up to look at the boy. There’s a sudden pause in time.

Hyung…

Kyungsoo rushes himself into a sitting position a hand raising to his mouth in shock. He stares at the boy momentarily before turning his body completely around.

What am I doing?

“What’s wrong?” The other asks in concern.

Kyungsoo shakes his head, “No, it’s nothing.” He wasn’t able to hide the trembling in his voice though, so in embarrassment he stands up and tries to walk away. He needs to avoid this weird feeling tumbling around in his chest.

The other boy follows after him quickly, not bothering to wipe away the bark that had stuck to his clothes, and grabs for Kyungsoo’s wrist to stop him.

“Hey, it’s okay. Tell me what’s wrong.”  

Kyungsoo stands there silent.

What does he say?

“Is it me? Did I do something?” The other pauses loosening his grip just slightly around Kyungsoo’s wrist, “I feel like every time you look at me you act a little strange.”

Kyungsoo can’t concentrate, so he closes his eyes trying to think.

What can he say to this boy? It doesn’t matter how similar he looks to his hyung. He’s still practically a stranger to him.

“Please.” The boy says gently, “Look at me.”

“I just—I JUST CAN’T!” Kyungsoo finally moves, ripping his wrist away from the other’s hold. All the feelings that he’s been trying to hide bursting through him uncontrollably.

The other patiently waits. He wants to comfort Kyungsoo in some way, but he senses Kyungsoo has more to say, so he refrains himself from doing anything.

Kyungsoo clenches his hands together in front of his chest as if he was trying to protect his heart. His back is still facing the other boy as he attempts to recollect himself and laugh his outburst off like he’s fine, but it’s too late for that. The other boy wouldn’t believe him even if he tried. Kyungsoo feels so stupid and pitiful and hurt and he doesn’t know why he’s showing this side of himself to someone whom he’s practically just met today.

“I—well,” Kyungsoo starts, knowing it’ll be futile to lie and ignore what’s been bothering him, “it’s his birthday today. I haven’t seen him for a long time now, so I was excited to see him this morning.” Kyungsoo laughs apathetically at that, “I was so excited that I couldn’t even sleep the night before and even skipped out on breakfast. All I wanted was to give him a scarf. I always give him one for his birthday because even though I like to knit and sometimes get bullied for it because it’s too girly for boys, he’s never ridiculed me and has always said nice things, but—but this time he didn’t want it. This time he wanted to spend his birthday with his girlfriend.” Kyungsoo’s shoulders visibly droops and his whole body starts to shake, “I came all the way back to Korea just to see him for his birthday because he personally requested it and what does he do? He rejects my gift and tells me off so he can spend it with his girlfriend instead!” Kyungsoo brings his hands to his face, wiping away some of his fallen tears and snot, and eventually just covers his eyes as he hiccups loudly, “Why? Why can’t I look at you? I can’t because all I see is him in you! All I see is hyung…Jongin hyung…”

“Jongin? My twin?”

Kyungsoo’s hiccup gets caught in his throat.

Twin?

Hyung has never mentioned a twin brother before.

“You really like him a lot don’t you?” Kyungsoo lifts his face when two hands that aren’t his own delicately cradle his cheeks and wipe away some of his fresh tears. He didn’t even realize when the boy had come around to face him.

The boy’s hands were so warm and he was smiling softly.

Kyungsoo nods his head, “I do.”

“But I’m not my brother, Jongin. I’m, Kai.”

Kai.

Kyungsoo can’t believe it. A whole day spent together with this boy and he never once asked for his name.

“Jongin will always be Jongin and I will always be Kai. We are similar, yet we are also different. So I want you to look at me as Kai, and not as Jongin.”

Kai is right.

Kyungsoo feels completely and utterly stupid. He reaches out and touches the blue scarf that is still wrapped tightly around Kai’s neck.

“I’m sorry.”

“There’s nothing for you to be sorry about. This was meant for him right?”

“Yea, it was.”

Kai takes Kyungsoo’s hands into his own and smiles sincerely, “You know, Jongin would sometimes talk about you and it made me curious. I’ve always wanted to meet you, but my brother and I don’t exactly get along. Obviously, since he’s never even bothered to tell you he has a twin.” He mumbles off-handedly, more towards himself than to Kyungsoo, “Anyway, I didn’t think it was you when we had first met. I mean you literally dragged me out of that café—” Kyungsoo turns a little red at the mention of their first meeting, “and we fought and argued and you punched me in the chest, but there was just something about the way you kept looking at me.”

This makes Kyungsoo turn even redder.

“I just knew that it had to be you, Kyungsoo.”

He knows my name. Jongin hyung really did mention me to him.

Kyungsoo gazes up at him not really sure what to say.

“He’s made you feel really lonely this time hasn’t he?” Kai leans in close and whispers softly into Kyungsoo’s ear, “Well, since it’s my birthday too, this scarf, may I keep it?”

Kyungsoo laughs in disbelief.

This charming little punk.

Kai presses his forehead and nose up close to Kyungsoo’s when the shorter boy confirms with a nod and a beautiful heart-shaped smile, “Yes, Kai.”

This will be my gift to you.

 

---

A/N:

Such glorious cringe worthy fluff...

Well, I hope you all liked it. I’m tired, so please don’t mind the mistakes too much. May or may not fix them cause of a thing called procrastination even though this version is supposedly an upgrade from my original lmao. XD Thanks for reading!

<3 dububrit-on