Sunglasses

Hidden Truths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"There are only two types of people. Single, and taken, and there are plenty of singles."

 

This is what my best friend told me in high school when my jerk of a boyfriend broke up with me. She was always there for me until she was the reason he broke up with me. Let's call her Jerk #2 for now.

 

My name is Na Sihyeon and I have never been a people person. I have been lied to and hurt by so many in the past, that I had come to never trust anyone, and I was perfectly safe that way. What J2 told me still lingered in my mind, but in a different way. There are different types of people, Friends, and Jerks. I always told myself there was no gray area. Friends are nice, honest, non-judgmental, and don't betray you. Jerks are everyone else. So far, I don't think I've ever met a Friend.

 

The local coffee shop is a nice place to be after a long day of college stuff. Everyone is quiet, except the teenage girls, but they don’t usually stay to chat long. The staff are friendly and have a sense of who wants to talk to them and who is, well, me. The only time I don’t like the coffee shop is when it’s closed, which it was. They were remodeling, so I would have to find a new place to sit in a corner and work.

 

I was not looking forward to going to a diner, but it’s all that was open and close. Diners, especially this one, are a place run by middle-aged women or men trying to be cool with retro designs. The all-around… color disgusts me. This day, it was especially crowded. The thing with diners is that people do like chatting, a lot.

 

I decided to sit in a small booth in the corner. As I took out my laptop, I eyed a group of girls who looked around the same age as me. They were gathered around one of the four of them, who was wearing some sort of odd swirly sunglasses. I shrugged it off, as other people’s lives are not mine, therefore I do not care. Suddenly, though, I heard a gasp, as I turned to them. Girl number 1 was talking awkwardly with a guy in a sweater, as the other three, exchanging the sunglasses, gaped at her. As the first sat back down, they engaged hurried looks of distress. A similar thing happened over and over to them until finally, looking frustrated they all left in a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter