~Finale~

I'll Always Be There For You

Peeking into the room, Hye-rin sees nothing except darkness. All the windows are closed and curtains are pulled together to prevent the slightest penetration of sunlight from the outside. And there is no sound too, except the normal heartbeat and breathing resonating from the corner of the room.

After taking a deep breath, she switches on the lights.

“Switch off the lights! Get out of here, I want to be alone!” Without raising his head, the guy who is still hugging his legs close to himself, orders.

The corners of her lips are lifted and a smile could be seen on her face. She ignores him and walks towards him after closing the door behind her. Kneeling beside him, she taps his shoulders lightly.

 “It’s me, Hye-rin.”

The moment he hears her name, he lifts his head in disbelieve. He blinks his eyes a few times and pinches his arm. When he feels pain, he knows he is not dreaming. And immediately, he goes over and hugs her.

“Where have you been all this time? I thought I would never see you again, Hye-rin. I miss your presence, I really do.” A droplet of tear falls from his eyes after he finishes his sentence.

Still wearing her smile on her face, she hugs him in return and his back as a way in consoling him. “I’ve always been by your side, Min Ki. Every minute, every second I’ve been watching you from the side. It’s just that you didn’t notice me.”

Some may say silence kills but for Hye-rin, she knows that is all he needs right now. She let him cry on her shoulder and she listens to his mumbles. She wants him to feel safe in her embrace and throw away those fears he has in his heart.

Twenty minutes passes and now Min Ki has felt better. Pulling himself from her as a sudden bang of embarrassment hit on him, he realizes that his tears have wet her white T-shirt. Quickly he shifts his gaze and mumbles out an apology.

“I’m sorry.”

Shaking her head, she tries to stop herself from giggling as she finds his reaction too cute to handle. “Choi Min Ki, this is what a friend should be. I don’t mind it at all. Just let me do the same to you when it’s my turn to cry, okay?”

Seeing how easily she forgives him almost makes him forget to ask the reason she is here. But before he can do so, she is a step ahead of him as she can read his mind.

“You must be wondering why I’m here, right? Come with me then, you’ll find your answer there.”

Hye-rin stands up and offers her hand, “You’ll join me right?”

Staring at her hand, Min Ki hesitates for a second. They may have been friends since childhood but they are not that close at all. The truth is she only comes to him two times and now the third. But the strangest thing is that whenever she is around, he feels at ease and comfortable.

“Will you?” She asks him again.

Min Ki gets snapped back from his thoughts and nods his head. No matter who she is or where she is bringing him, he knows one thing for sure: she is his friend and he trusts her wholeheartedly.

 

 

#                                    #                                     #

 

 

When he opens his eyes, he finds everything surrounding him unfamiliar to him. He rubs his eyes a few times to confirm that he is not dreaming.

Suddenly the door slid open and Hye-rin pops her head into the room. Instantly he turns to her direction.

“You’re awake, Min Ki. Come to the living room and have dinner. I’ve prepared your favorite dishes.” With that, she leaves him to gather his senses.

Though he is still in puzzles, he drags himself out of the bed and does a quick check on his appearance before going to join her. But the moment he slides open the door, the aroma of her food fills the air and that makes his little band in his stomach start its mini concert.

While Hye-rin is busy preparing the rice and utensils, Min Ki has a glance of the dishes on the table. Kimchi-jjigae (Kimchi stew), Dakgangjeong (Crispy and crunchy fried chicken), Japchae (Stir fried noodles with vegetables) and Gimbap (Seaweed rice rolls), all are his favorites.

Handing a bowl of rice to him, she says, “Let’s eat. I know you’re hungry.”

After whispering a thanks to her, he quickly takes one drumstick and takes a bite of it before stuffing himself a mouthful of food. Well, mom says never eat to fast or you may get choked to death. And Hye-rin thinks the same policy needs to be applied to Min Ki. However before she manages to warn him, he has choked himself.

Tapping his chest, he asks for water desperately from Hye-rin. “I….Ww…ater…!”

With the speed of lightning, she goes and gets him a glass of water. his back gently, she makes a serious expression and sounds like she is mad at him, “Are you that hungry that you need to swallow everything in one go? Do those foods have legs that enable them to run away?”

Still coughing as the aftermath of choking, Min Ki sighs in relieve as he has managed to escape death. He really doesn’t wish to die in such a way, though he doesn’t know when will be the day.

“Thank you. Actually I’ve not eaten for the past two days and your foods look so appetizing. So I couldn’t control myself but stuff it all in my mouth. Not to mention your cooking reminds me of grandma’s as they taste exactly the same.” Min Ki tries to defend himself and at the same time grateful of her help just now.

Hearing his praise makes her heart skips a beat. “Stop flattering me. I’m still a beginner in cooking Korean Cuisines. I’m seriously thankful as it is my first try in making them suits your taste buds.”

“Are you trying to hint that I’m your first tester?” teases Min Ki with his eyes fixed on her.

Avoiding his stare, she nods her head shyly. She then tries to shift his attention back to the foods as she feels embarrass and afraid that he may notice she is blushing. “Choi Min Ki, didn’t you say just now that you’re too hungry that you can eat an elephant because of starving for the past two days? Stop talking and start eating now or the dishes will turn cold.”

Seeing how she reacts to his tease, he burst out into laughter. At the same time, he lifts his right hand and make a salute sign to her, “Yes, ma’am.”

 

 

#                                         #                                         #

 

 

Flashback to 5 years old Min Ki…

 

 

With sweat covering his face besides damping his shirt, he tries his best to move forward even though the searing pain originating from his left thigh is killing him. As the sun is about to set, Min Ki’s uneasy feeling starts to squish his heart 'till the point he finds it hard to breath.

Irene, where are you? It is getting darker now and your parents are waiting for you to have dinner. The same thought keeps popping up in his mind while his eyes scan through every tiny spot she may be hiding.

“We found her!”

The moment he hears it, he let out a heavy sigh. Quickly he rushes to the direction where they have located her. At last, he is relieved that she is found. But then if he knew what is awaiting him ahead, he swears he would never be in that situation again in his life.

“Irene, my baby!” the wailing of her mother is what welcome him. When he walks nearer to have a clearer picture, all he can see is tears overflowing on her parents’ face. And there she is, in her mother’s embrace, pale like the ghost, lips purple and her body is wet covered with dirt.

His knees go weak upon seeing that sight. “Irene.” Unconsciously he called out to her name. He finds it hard to believe that she is gone forever as they just have their game, hide-and-seek, not too long ago. But when she remains motionless in her mother’s embrace, he knows she is indeed dead.

“It is all your fault, Choi Min Ki! If it is not you that had taught Irene to hide in the pool, she would not have died. I want my sister back! I want her back with me! I want her back!” Edmond shouts at him and demands him to bring his beloved little sister back to life.

Dropping on the ground upon hearing that he is the cause of Irene’s death shocked him. He did remember he once said it to Irene that the safest place to avoid being caught in the game is to hide in the water. But he didn’t know that she would take his idea seriously. He swears he has never wished things to happen such a way. He really didn’t want it.

“I’m so sorry for your lost. Our prayers will always be with you and your family.” His mother offers her condolences when they go and pay their last respect to Irene at her grandparent’s house.

Just when he is about to bow, Edmond comes forward and pulls to the side. “You’re the murderer. Don’t show up here and pretend that you’re innocent. I hate to see you here. Get lost! Get out of here! I don’t welcome you, get out!”

Tears start to fall on Min Ki’s face. He is sad too with Irene’s passing. But when he sees the glares directed at him from all directions, he knows leaving is the best way in avoiding further misunderstanding between them.

Back in his room, he can only pray to God that Irene is placed with the Angel in the Kingdom of Heaven. He really hopes that she is happy up there yet he is still having a string sense of guilt built in his heart. Edmond’s words are still ringing in his ears and fill his mind.

Holding his knees to himself, he sobs in the dark.

“Don’t be sad. It is just an accident and you did nothing wrong. In fact, she is happy in her new world!”

Min Ki looks up when he feels someone touch his shoulder and whisper into his ear.

“Who are you and why are you in my room?” he asks while moving backwards till his back touches the cold wall.

Giggling the girl reply, “I’m Song Hye-rin. And I’m five years old too.”

“Song Hye-rin? Who are you? I didn’t know anyone called Song Hye-rin.” He looks at her suspiciously while his mind is busy searching for someone named so.

Sitting down in front of him, she says with her smile intact, “Of course you didn’t know me since I always watch you by the side. But I know you very well. And now I know you’re fighting with your inner guilt for Irene.”

Min Ki stares at her, wide eyed. He couldn’t believe that she knows everything in his mind. Is she human or is she someone with special superpower? He wonders.

Holding out her hand, she asks, “Will come with me?”

“Huh?”

“Come with me and find out yourself whether she is happy or you’re wrong?”

Gulping hard, he doesn’t know what to do. Though she may just appear now, but he feels a sense of closeness that seems to be they have known each other for a long time. Not to mention that his heart is telling him that she is a trustworthy person.

Taking a deep breath after much thought, he put his hand in hers.

 

 

#                                            #                                            #

 

 

Flashback to 15-year-old Min Ki

 

 

“Okay time’s up, everyone.  Stop writing and put down your pen. We’ll be on our way to collect your exam papers.” The invigilator announces.

Everyone in the hall does as ordered and waits patiently to have their papers collected. Staring at his exam paper, Min Ki sighs heavily. For once, he is happy that another paper is done but at the same time he wonders how he will fare in that subject.

A slap on his head from behind makes him jump out of his seat.

“Stop dreaming now, let’s get out of here and get ready for our party!” Aaron exclaims with joy as they have after all finished their last paper of the semester. And it is time for them to relax and enjoy!

A smile escapes from Min Ki’s face. Nodding his head, his hands gather his things before following his buddy out of the class. Welcoming them at the door are Dong Ho, Min Hyun and Jong Hyun. The five of them have been buddies for years. Everywhere they can be seen together like a pack and hence a nickname is created for them by their fangirls which they call Nu’est. And the truth is they like the nickname of the group very much.

It’s too unique, that is what Aaron quoted.

 “Let’s order some food as I’m starving to death right now!” Min Hyun says upon sitting down on his favorite corner at the café.

Min Ki doesn’t feel like eating after a stressful day so he sits down next to Min Hyun and waits for the rest to get the orders at the counters. Minutes later, the three of them can be seen bringing trays of food towards their table.

“Eat as much as you can! My treat for you guys this time around, so don’t worry to add if you find this too little for your appetite.” Jong Hyun offers before settling himself in front of Min Ki.

“Hurray!” Both Aaron and Dong Ho exclaim in delight. Instantly all of them except Min Ki start to stuff their small tiny mouths with loads of food. Watching by the side, he finds his buddies cute. Unconsciously the corner of his mouth is lifted and a light smile is formed on his face.

Nudging Jong Hyun who is sitting next to him, Aaron signals him about Min Ki’s change in expression. Nodding his head as if he understood what he meant. Jong Hyun clears his throat and said, “Why don’t we play a game since our quiet boy is smiling like an idiot right now?”

Like knee-jerk reaction, everyone put aside their food and starts to turn their attention towards Jong Hyun. Min Ki raises his shoulders and joins them too.

After getting their attention, he says, “Let’s play truth or dare.”

“Okay.” All of them agree for instance.

“First question is for Min Ki. Are you dating someone in secret now?”

Min Ki chuckles upon hearing his question. He shakes his head and replies with confidence, “Truth. I’m still single and available.”

Sighing could be heard from his friends. They are all hoping to hear a yes from him but in the end, they are all disappointed. While though they didn’t get their desire answer, but that didn’t dampen their spirit to continue the game.

And now it is Dong Ho’s turn to which Min Ki askes, “Are you the one that placed a love letter under Solhee’s table?”

“Dare!” Dong Ho says without a second thought. Everyone look at him in surprise. They didn't know he would react in such a way this time as most of the time he will answer truth. If only he didn’t give out that dare to Dong Ho, that mishap would never happen. If only.

Ten minutes later, he hates himself for the rest of his life.

“Kim Dong Ho!”

He remembers everyone surrounding Dong Ho calling out to his name and praying hard to bring him to life but there is no response from him as he lays motionless on the pool of blood at the school ground floor. Tears start to flow down on everyone’s cheeks.

Staring at the back is Min Ki. He is too dumbfounded to even utter a word or move his toes. He doesn’t know that by asking Dong Ho walks throughout the whole building with his zip down can lead to the sacrifice of his buddy’s life.

Ambulance and medical assistants are rushed to help him but it is too late as they pronounced that he has died on the spot.

Hugging the blanket closer around himself, Min Ki, with tears overflowing all over his face, couldn’t stop blaming himself for being the cause of Dong Ho’s death. His parents have been cursing him like what Irene’s parents once did to him. They hated that he always brings them misfortune. Now memories of his dark past once again come haunting him.

He lifts his head when he feels someone tap on his shoulder. Eyeing him with her gold fish eyes is a girl around his age.

“Come with me, will you?”

“Who are you?” he asks her with caution. Though he can’t recognize her, somehow he feels a sense of familiarity on her.

“I’m Song Hye-rin, don’t you remember me?” the girl smiles at him.

“Hye-rin?” Hearing that name makes his eyes spark. “You’re here at last!” Min Ki goes forward and hugs her.

Tapping his back gently, she consoles him, “It’s me again. I’m sorry for being late.”

“I’ll go with you like I did last time.” Min Ki mumbles before his eyelids close and felt asleep in her embrace.

 

 

#                                               #                                            #

 

 

Flashback to the current 25-year-old Min Ki (two days earlier)

 

 

There is not a noise in the room except the breathing sound of three individuals, two wearing uniform while the one facing them, a white shirt with leather jacket matches with a ripped jeans. They have been having a little cold war for the past ten minutes. It is just a matter of time who would be the first to break the iceberg.

Min Ki gulps hard the second his eyes meet theirs. They are hard and cold, as if they are cold-blooded creatures on earth.

“Do you have any prove of your alibi?” The one which looks more like a senior and expert starts the session while the one sitting next to him keeps his sight on him, like the eagle on its pray.

Nodding his head, he says, “Yes. At that time I was actually on my way back after buying Soju from the convenience store.”

“Then can you explain to us on how you met the accident with your father?”

Scathing his un-itchy head, Min Ki thinks for a second and says with defensive mode, “Sir, I really have no idea how we hit other. I just came out of the just and about to corner when this car came out of nowhere and both of us just collided.” He pauses for a while to check on their reactions before he continues, “It was only when I was in a hospital that I knew I actually had an accident with my own father and that it took his life away.”

Both the officers give each other a look before the senior clears his throat and asks, “Did you actually plan this beforehand? I was told by your brothers that your father has just announced his will. And the truth that you received the least among your siblings provoked you to kill him, did I guess it right?”

“What?” Min Ki’s eyes are so wide opened that they look like they are about to be dislocated from his socket. “Why should I do that? I was actually way too touched by his kindness in leaving a small fortune of his to me when I’m just his adopted son.”

Holding the edge of the table, Min Ki tries to control his emotion. He has been trying hard to explain that he is innocent but then the officers just don’t seem to be buying what he said.

“You see, I know my siblings may feel that I’m a burden or a gold digger when I’m the one who always brings trouble to father. But father has been telling me that he trusted me all this time. He said the first moment he saw me in the orphanage, he saw the auras surrounding me was so bright as if God was telling him a leader is born. And that was why he adopted me. And I swore to God, whoever adopted me, I’ll repay him with my heart and life.”

The officer shrugs his shoulders. “No one knows what is in your mind and also the truth. And I’m only making a guess just now. Anyway, thanks for your cooperation in helping us solving the case. And if we do need further information, we will contact you again.”

Slipping his hands in his pocket, Min Ki sighs heavily while looking up at the sky outside the entrance. Turning around, he wonders in his heart when he will be able to prove his innocent and let his father rest in peace.

Taking the less chosen path for home, he dishes his car for a walk to calm his mind. Within steps upon reaching the house, someone knocks him at the back of his head and he goes unconscious. The moment he opens his eyes, all he sees is darkness as they covered his eyes and mouth with black cloth.

No matter how hard he tries to free himself, he fails. And before long, kicks and punches start to rain on his body at all directions. The more he tries to avoid them, the harder the kicks and punches are. Still vividly he can clearly hear one of his brothers’ laughter in the distance.

“Do whatever you want at him, my boys. He deserved this.”

 

 

#                                           #                                     #

 

 

 

Lying on the grass while counting the stars that covered the night sky, Min Ki doesn’t forget to take in deep breath after deep breath. He smiles as he feels so free and relax. This is what he is searching for as he can’t remember the last time he has felt so. When he closes his eyes, he can hear besides his own breathing is the crickets mini orchestra filling up the quietness of the night.

“I guess you have found the reason I came to you by now.”

Opening his eyes upon hearing her voice, Min Ki turns to look at Hye-rin who settles herself next to him. He gives her a puzzled expression as he doesn’t understand what she means.

Hye-rin chuckles a little at his reaction. “Didn’t you ask me why I reappeared into your life again? So have you figured it out yet?”

Pressing his lips into a line, his mind tries hard to have an answer for her question. And that sight makes her heart skip a beat. If she doesn’t shift way her focus on him, her fingers may find her way to his puffy cheeks.

For a moment, he thinks hard. He wonders what will be the reason she appears again out of a sudden after nearly seven years. And every time she appears only when he just encounters problem or in trouble. Is she someone from the outer space like Manager Do in the drama ‘My Love From The Star’?

“Stop imagining things! I’m just an ordinary person like you. I’m not an alien.” Hye-rin warns him with a light slap on his shoulder.

“Ouch!” Min Ki yelps in pain.

Hye-rin jumps in surprise seeing his reaction as she knows she just had a light tap on his shoulder. And surely it is not hard that can make such an impact!

On the other hand, Min Ki can only sigh in regret for his action. He has forgotten about the pain, or should he be precise, hiding from her all this while? But when her cold, delicate fingers touches on it, he couldn’t help but scream in pain.

“Are you alright? Are you hurt?” Hye-rin is dead worried when she flips his hand around to check on him. Seeing him in pain hurt her as well, though she doesn’t understand why her heart is having the crumbling feeling all of a sudden.

Pulling his hand away from her, he scoffs her off and acts cool. “I’m fine.” Forcefully he flexes his muscle to prove that he is indeed alright. But then again, when you are in pain, never ever dare you try to make fun of it and act cool because you’ll be victim of your stupid actions. And so just within seconds he showcased his muscle, he is wincing in pain with cold sweat forming on his forehead.

Sensing that he is definitely not right, Hye-rin rushes back into the house. And after a few minutes of ransacking around the house searching for the right remedy, she gets back to his side. Holding something like a small booster out to him, she says,

“Put this on it. It’ll help.”

Scanning the red little ‘booster’ on her hand, Min Ki hesitates for a whole minute as if he is seeing poison in front of him before he reaches out for it and applies on the spot with dark bruise hidden underneath his shirt.

There is a saying that goes, never judge a book by its cover. And this really applies to this little red ‘booster’. The moment it touches on his skin, he can feel like a force absorbing his pain away, in a way that is so soothing that he just closes his eyes and relaxes. Not to mention the mysterious scent that emits from it. There is only one word that can sum it up – heavenly.

Carefully, she lays herself next to him and observes his features. He is such an Angel, she talks to herself. Seeing that the pain he is suffering getting lesser and lesser ease her heart. Don’t ever get yourself hurt or in pain, or I may too experience it with you, she prays in silent.

“Why are you staring at me without blinking even once? Have you by chance accidentally fallen in love with me?” His out of nowhere witty question makes her blush in embarrassment. Instantly she gets up and shifts her attention to somewhere else.

“Why is it that I’m feeling hot and stuffy here?” Fanning herself with both her hands, she tries to calm herself down especially her heart which has been beating so hard and loud that she is afraid he might hear it.

Grabbing her hand to stop her from ignoring him, Min Ki pulls her closer to face him. So close that she can actually feel the heat of his breath. “I do wonder who you really are. But I guess what is more important now is to get my beauty sleep.” With that he drops atop her lap and within minutes, he is sound asleep, entering his dreamland.

 

#                                                   #                                                  #

 

 

The moment the rooster doing his job, making the morning call to wake the entire village up, Min Ki is still in deep slumber, cuddle up under the blanket. And Hye-rin who has already woken up before the sun rise, can be seen busying around the kitchen, preparing a healthy breakfast for him.

‘Ding, Ding’

Hye-rin drops everything in her hands and rushes to the door when she hears the rings. She knows it must be Kim Jaejoong, the most handsome postman of the entire village. And welcoming her at the doorstep is his attractive smile.

“Good morning, my lovely.” He greeted her with an open arm to which Hye-rin finds her way into it before replying, “Good morning.”

Placing a kiss on her forehead before distancing himself from her, he holds out a letter, “It’s for you.”

Receiving the pinkish envelope from him, she frowns and raises her head. “Me? Seriously?” she finds it hard to believe that after like ages, she does have someone that writes to her. Without wasting another minute, she opens it and read it.

Jaejoong who still has his attention on her, finds the changes on her expression.

“What happened?” he asks while his right hand slips around her tiny waist and brings her closer to him again.

With tears threatening to fall at any moment, Hye-rin shakes her head and reassures him that everything is alright. “It’s nothing. It’s just that I’m too surprise to receive letter again. But then why am I crying? I must be making fun of myself right now!” she says while trying hard to blink away her tears.

Pulling her into his embrace, he whispers into her ears, “Cry it out, I’m here.” Like a little bird finally back to its nest, Hye-rin tighten her grip and sobs, wetting his shirt.

Though the truth that he is giving her the comfort she needed the most at the moment, but someone who has been watching them behind the curtain doesn’t seem to be happy at all. There is a strange kind of thorny feel in his heart that he doesn’t find it right.

And as if a child is throwing his tantrum at his mother for not buying his desire candies, Min Ki has his breakfast in silent and once he is full, he locks himself in the room, leaving Hye-rin alone, wondering what has happened.

Carefully Hye-rin knocks on the door to check on him, “Min Ki, are you alright? Are you in pain? Or perhaps are you sick?”

No matter how she tries to get a response from him, to her disappointment, there is not even a pin dropped sound originating from the room. It is so quiet as if no one is in it or she is the only living being. And that makes Hye-rin worries.

Not giving up, she knocks on the door repeatedly and calls him out. “Min Ki, I know you’re in there. Tell me please what is wrong. I’m so worried right now. Min Ki if you don’t want to open the door, please do at least give a reply.” With that she begs for about ten minutes before she hears his response.

“Why must you care for me when you’re in tears of happiness receiving love letters from others?”

Hye-rin jumps in surprise hearing his answer. How does he know about the letter’s existence? Did he read it and know what is going to happen next? Why am I so careless when all this time I’ve been staying alert 24/7? Those 5W and 1H questions start to jam her mind. Unconsciously she starts to bite her finger nails, a habit when she is nervous.

And suddenly the door swings open and there he is, crossing his hands in front of his chest, frowning at her. “Are you giving me a yes for my question?”

Staring straight into his eyes, she is speechless. She has not got any answer for that. 

“Are you trying to be mute now?”

With her eyes still lock at his, she wonders he indeed understand the content of the letter if by chance he has read it. But then again, how would he get the message across when he doesn’t even know the existence of so-called soulmate?

Turning around just in time before he noticed the first droplet of tears fall, Hye-rin scoffs off at herself for being so restless with his strange behavior. I must be out of my mind.

Is she mad at me now? He ponders. Looking at her back till she disappears from his sight, he feels bad for being childish yet at the same time feeling another thorny sting at his heart. I guess he must be someone very important to her that she acts that way.

 

 

#                                                 #                                            #

 

 

Kneeling down at the corner and supporting himself through the wall beside him, Min Ki tries his best to stand up again though blood has been flowing out from his forehead profusely, dyeing his shirt red. But before he succeeded, a slap lands on his cheek and makes him fall.

“How could you be such a monster? What had I done in my past life that I deserve this?” Mrs. Kim shouts and shakes the whole living room. “You’ve taken my husband away from me. And now you’re trying to my son away too, how could you be so evil hearted?”

Shaking his head, Min Ki defends himself, “No mom, please listen to me. I swear, with the name of God. I really didn’t do anything wrong. I didn’t kill father intentionally nor did I hire people to harm brother.”

“Don’t you dare try to be holy in front of me! I won’t believe a word of yours. You’ve had given enough trouble for us all these years. Ever since you were a boy, you’ve been a murderer. Irene was dead when you were five. Dong Ho was dead when you were fifteen. And now, when you’re twenty five, you killed your father and worse, trying to kill your brother!”

Every word that comes out of pierce through his heart like the crooked knife, leaving him bleeding in pain. It hurts him so much so that he starts to feel lack of breath.

“Choi Min Ki, I’m telling you, starting from this very second, you are no longer a part of the Choi family. I’m going to make the announcement of disowning you as well as police report of you harming your brother. You may escape punishment for killing my husband. But I’ll surely want you to pay for what you did to my son!”

No matter how he tries to beg, no one cares about him. In the end, he is thrown out of the house, alone with only his wallet in his pocket. There is no place other than this house where he has called home for the past 22 years. And he has never imagined that one day he will be kicked out of it. With no place to go or someone to talk to, he just drags his half-dead body to wherever his legs bring him to.

Settling down at the corner of the room in the sauna located not far from his house, he closes his eyes and rest while his trying his very best in ignoring the whispers and stares from others. Being in such a pathetic state, all he wishes is that she will appear again and bring lights into his life. But surprisingly, days pass and she has yet to be there for him.

And then this one fine day when he open his eyes, though his head is still killing him with severe pain, his lanky fingers find an envelope underneath his blanket. Without a minute of hesitancy, he opens the letter and read it.

Min Ki, just remember

No matter what happen to you, I’ll always be there for you. If you want a runaway, my door is always open for you.

Love, Sung Hye-rin

It has been a week since Hye-rin disappeared from his sight. Staring at the note she left behind, Min Ki knows it is about time to decide his next move. It has to be ‘go’ or ‘no go’. And that decision will surely change everything in a blink of an eye.

 

 

#                                                #                                                #

 

 

The smile is so bright that he feels like there is no other can be compared to hers. Taking another step forward, he holds out his hand. “Take me along to where you belong.”

Closing the gap between them, still wearing her smile on her face, Hye-rin takes his hand and ask, “Are you sure of it? Won’t you regret it later?”

Interlocking their fingers together, Min Ki nods his head happily like a child seeing his mother again after separated for some time. “As long as you’re with me, I swear I won’t regret.”

Hye-rin can no longer hide her embarrassment upon hearing his answer, lowers her head and blushes like a red potato. Turning around, she starts to lead the way. Just then, she stops.

“But how did you figure this out?” she asks out of curiosity.

“It is simply because I’m smart.”

Min Ki then feels a hard knock at his head. “Ouch!”

Glaring at him, Hye-rin queries him again, “Tell me the truth or get another smack from me.”

Raising both hands in the air as if a sign of giving up, he explains, “I accidentally read the letter you hid in your room when I was searching for you the other day.”

Hye-rin’s eyes are widened after listening to his confession but she manages to keep her emotion intact and lets him continue.

‘There is not much time left for him in the world. Bring him to where we are or you will be the one that disappeared.’

“At first I didn’t understand what that means, but after I read the note you left me at the sauna, I’m able to put everything into picture. I realized then who you are and what is mean by the word – soulmate.

The both of us are born on the same day, same time and same place, except that no one really know your existence since you’re living in a different dimension from the rest of us. And the truth that the very same birthmark appears behind of our ear, yours on the right while mine on the left, ticks one of the boxes of my investigation regarding soulmate.

Then I recalled that whenever I’m in deep trouble, you’ll appear out of nowhere and sooth my mind and soul in this wonderful place of yours. Be it when I was a boy, a teen or an adult, you were there for me. This too ticks another box in the list.

And lastly, the most important of them all, the letter you received from that flower boy who called you his ‘lovely’.”

Hye-rin bursts into laughter hearing him proclaiming Jaejoong as flower boy. She can senses that somehow in a way, he has turned into a green monster without knowing it himself. Seconds later, she says, “Excuse me. Please continue.” Realizing that he is staring at her, she tries her best in composing herself and urges him to finish his theory.

“I saw you cried in his embrace.”

Hye-rin nods her head.

“There are only two possibilities for one to cry. It is either after reading happy news or a bad one. And by the look of how he caressed you in his embrace, I figured out it must be the later. Still, at that time, I didn’t plan to have a peep at your letter.

On the morning where I wanted to leave, I was looking high and low for you, just to inform you that I’m going. But you were not there for the whole morning. It was then when I entered your room, I found the letter. Curiosity had a better of me. And I read it without your permission.

For days I wondered what exactly does the letter means to you. Not to mention, before I left, I sensed that look on your face. Lifeless, is the word that describes it all. The rainbow that I always see around you is gone. And not long after that, I met an accident which took my father’s life.

A week I waited for you, but all you left was a note for me. The moment I read it, everything just rushed into my mind and soon I understand.

You’re my soulmate. You’re born to protect me from danger and bring me up again when I encounter crisis. You live to keep me alive. If you fail your mission in keeping me alive, you’ll return to your creator. Yet, you still have a chance to overturn this sad ending. All you have to do is bring me to where you belong. And I want to say, congratulation, you’ve passed your mission as a soulmate, Sung Hye-rin. You’ve managed to save a precious soul named Choi Min Ki.”

Hye-rin is close to tears when he says that she has succeeded in clearing her mission. She wants nothing more than seeing him alive and happy. And now with him standing in front of her and wiping her tears away, she just finds everything surreal.

Pulling her into his embrace, Min Ki consoles her, “Stop crying because you look really ugly when you cry.”

Hitting his chest lightly, she tells him off, “Am I that ugly when Jaejoong says I’m cute when I cry?” the second she finishes her sentence, she finds herself being pushed away from him. “Why?”

He rolls his eyes hearing her question, wondering whether she is doing it on purpose or purely innocent. “How could you mention the other guys’ name in front of me? Is that Jaejoong that important for you? Why every time he will appear in our conversation?”

Blinking her eye lids, she gulps hard. Is he mad again? She wonders. “Why can’t I call out his name in front of you, Mr. Choi Min Ki when he is my cousin, or maybe my future husband?”

Seeing how he reacts to her statement is real funny. Flares can be seen fuming here and there. Then there he is again, clearing his throat, acting as if he is really not bothered about their relationship, opens his mouth and says, “Then that’s great news for me.”

“Are you sure?” she teases him.

Nodding his head, he turns around and walks away from her. Just two steps away, Hye-rin stops him by grabbing his wrist, “Look back for the one last time or you’ll never have the chance again.”

He hesitates for a moment. He can feel his feet being glued to the ground, not allowing him to have a look of what he is leaving behind. But then again, he knows he needs to see it before he lose his time and chance forever.

Slowly after taking a few deep breaths, he turns around to see people surrounding him, whispering and blaming him for uncounted reasons. Workers and owner of the sauna he is staying call him crazy for dying there, blaming him for frightening their customers and causing their lost. Then, the police are all grabbing their head for losing their main suspect either for his father’s accident or the violent case of his brother. But most of all, his adopted family which he calls his own, label him as animal for all his undid actions. Everyone, especially his brothers are over the moon when the police officers present them the news of his death. It hurts, very much knowing them being so cold-blooded to him.

Squeezing his hand, she wants him to know, it is time to let go of everything in reality. After all, she is and will always be there for him. “It is about time to go.”

Having one last glance at everyone he loves, Min Ki faces her before tightening his grip of her hand and replies. “Let’s go then.”