the end.

pages upon pages.

"Miss Moon Byulyi?"

The chrome-haired girl glanced up towards the unfamiliar voice, but relaxed when she realised it was only the new postman. She flashed a short smile towards him, hoping that it would perhaps, make his day a little less tiring. Her fingers dusted the tiny grains of soil off of her apron, and she carefully put down her gardening scissors before getting up from the ground.

"Yeah?"

"Package for you, ma'am," he beamed back, rather unfazed by the huge parcel he was carrying. "Sign here, please."

"Oh?" she reached out to grab to pen, but hesitated for a moment, slightly confused by the torn and tattered parcel in his arms. "I didn't order anything, though?"

"This parcel was marked with your name and address, Miss Moon. If it's wrong, you can just send it back the next day."

"O... kay then," Moonbyul shrugged, and hastily signed on the piece of paper before handing it back to the postman. Almost immediately, he dumped the package into her arms, and god, was it heavier than it looked.

###

She lugged the package into the living room of her apartment, sneezing at the layer of dust that she just inhaled from the parcel. "I'm pretty sure I didn't order a bunch of dust bunnies," she joked, carefully putting down the parcel before closing the door behind her. "What's this?" she mumbled to herself, dusting the top of the box to get a better look at the sender's address. The parcel had random pen markings over it, and she furrowed when she saw the words on the lid of the box.

"Kim Yongsun," she breathed out a sigh, her eyes fluttering shut momentarily.

Kim Yongsun.

A name that held so much meaning and familiarity, yet felt so distant and empty at the same time.

They were girlfriendsno, they had been the loves of each others' lives for nearly five years. Just like many other relationships, they had fallen apart long ago, and hadn't spoken since the day they broke up. It was neither's fault, to be honest. They were both young and afraid of society, afraid of what future had in store for them. Moonbyul had been working long and hard hours at the office, and Solar's family was not accepting of the relationship that both of them had with each other. In the end, Solar asked for a break up, and Moonbyul agreed to let her go, despite feeling as if her heart had been ripped apart and dumped into acid.

"I've lost feelings for you," the brunette had told her. "We can't be together in this world, anyway."

Moonbyul stared at the parcel with furrowed eyebrows.

###

However, much to the annoyance of the chrome-haired girl, curiosity got the better of her. The parcel had been sitting in the corner of her living room for a week since she received it, collecting more dust than her vacuum cleaner.

"I'll just have a peek," she grumbled to herself.

She tore the obstructing duct tape on the lid of the parcel, and flipped open the lid, only to find... books?

Well, journals, to be precise.

Journals of varying colours, and sizes.

Some journals had pages that were very clearly torn out, and some still had all of them.

"Journals? What for-" her eyes widened when she flipped through the yellowed pages.

A glance back into her nearly-faded memories ripped open an old wound in her heart when she realised it was the exact same pages that Yongsun had gifted to her during the days that they were still together. Writings of beautiful love poems, of how she made Yongsun feel, the mellow tunes of cupid's songs, all written down in single sheets of paper.

Pages upon pages of what Solar didn't give to her.

Huffing, Moonbyul flipped through one of the journals packed on the top of the stack, and smiled at the memory of how she used to tease Yongsun for her childish handwriting.

"2009.10.12.

3.02pm.

Moonbyul is an idiot."

 

"2009.10.12.

3.03pm.

Moonbyul is my idiot."

 

"2009.10.17.

8.37pm.

Do you know what love is?

I asked the fireflies, and they all said it was fast, ferocious, a blazing flame unending.

I wonder, does Moonbyul know what love is?"

 

"2009.10.21.

11.11pm.

I don't want anyone else.

I don't need anyone else.

There's a full moon today.

I already have the moon, and all I want, all I need are the stars.

And that is what I see whenever your lips graze against mine, Moon Byulyi."

 

A slight smile caressed the edge of Moonbyul's lips, and she grabbed another journal, her heart urging her to read all of the untold secrets contained within journal pages.

 

"2010.1.9.

2.45pm.

You are my sunshine,

my only sunshine.

You make me happy,

when skies are grey.

You don't know, dear,

how much I love you.

Please don't take my sunshine away."

 

"2010.1.15.

5.00pm.

She doesn't know that cucumbers are fruits."

 

"2010.1.19.

7.13pm.

I wonder if you'll ever get to read this?

Probably not. Hah."

 

"2010.1.30.

9.28am.

Tranquility

comes in the tiniest of moments

such as when

I wake up in silence

and feel your arms wrapped around my waist

and your fingers interlocked with mine"

 

Nearly 4 hours had passed, and Moonbyul had already gone through two-thirds of the stack of journals.

 

"2012.5.7.

12.39pm.

My mom found the picture of me kissing your cheek.

I couldn't answer her when she asked if I liked girls."

 

"2012.5.8.

4.57pm.

I am sad."

 

"2012.5.12.

5.55pm.

Moonbyul brought me roses today.

I could master all the languages in the world and still not have any words to describe how much I love her."

 

"2012.5.29.

2.54am.

If only shooting stars really granted wishes.

If only."

 

Moonbyul released a heart-breaking wince. The more she read, the more her old wounds were opening up, and she really didn't want to continue.

She stared at the last journal sitting at the bottom of the pile, before glancing at the clock.

7.39pm.

Ah, heck.

 

"2013.7.8.

1.21pm.

I don't like lying."

 

"2013.7.9.

10.18pm.

I really hope you'll never read these."

 

"2013.8.10.

6.42pm.

She said "I love you," to me today.

I didn't reply.

I wanted to."

 

"2013.8.11.

3.46pm

I want to be selfish.

Can I be selfish, just this once?

I can't lose her."

 

"2013.8.12.

1.18am.

I love her, so much.

So why is it that I can't be with her?

Why me?"

 

"2013.8.19.

7.09pm.

Mom is driving me crazy.

I want to get out of here.

Please."

 

"2013.8.25.

6.12pm.

I'm breaking up with her tomorrow.

I'll tell her that I've lost feelings for her.

Hopefully she'll believe me.

She will, right?

She always has."

 

Moonbyul couldn't rid of the ruckus that was going on in her mind, and she hesitated, but turned to the final page of the last journal.

 

"2013.8.26.

11.29pm.

I broke up with her.

I love her so much.

I always have, and always will.

In another life, I want to fall in love with Moon Byulyi again.

Perhaps it is time to believe in shooting stars."

 

"She loved me," Moonbyul felt a certain dampness trickle down her cheek, and drip onto her shirt. She needed to know the reason why Yongsun had decided to send this package to her. Immediately, she grabbed her phone, and quickly tapped numerous numbers into her phone. She had deleted Yongsun's contact, but it had always remained at the back of her head.

"Hello?"

"H-Hello? Mrs Kim?"

"Is this... Moonbyul?"

"W-Where is Yongsun? I-I need to know why she passed this package to me."

###

"I read your journals," Moonbyul mumbled, her breathing unsteady as she clutched a torn piece of paper from her own notebook that she had written on before running out of her apartment. "You should've told me, damn it! I loved you so much, and I was an idiot for believing that you never loved me. Why didn't you just tell me? Why tell me when it's too late? Why?"

The chrome-haired girl's eyelids fluttered shut, and she placed the piece of paper in front of the cold marble step.

"In Loving Memory of Kim Yongsun,

1991.2.21. -  2016.4.5."

With her eyes still shut and a heavy heart, she slowly left the empty cemetery.

 

"2016.5.19.

9.23pm.

Thank you, Kim Yongsun.

- Moon Byulyi."