the end-

The Shirt

in which nayoung wants her shirt back

-

"Unnie, can I sleep here?" Jieqiong asks as she enters Nayoung's room. She throws a quick glance to Chungha, who was already sleeping peacefully on the other bed.

 

"Why?" Nayoung may be already in her comfortable lying position, and yet she moves closer to the wall, giving the younger girl enough space.

 

"Somi's blasting her favorite songs in our room and I'm too tired for that." Jieqiong whines. She, then, slips under Nayoung's blanket. They are actually lying on their sides, facing each other because -- apparently, the bed is too small for them.

 

"Cuddle with me?" The younger girl whispers.

 

"Aish." Nayoung may say that, but she still wraps an arm around the Chinese girl and pulls her closer. Jieqiong, then, buries her face into Nayoung's chest - her favorite, actually - with a smile on her face.

 

A few minutes after that, Jieqiong hears the older girl snoring and she finds it adorable. What's not adorable is the fact that she's having a hard time falling asleep. Well, of all the times that she sleeps together with Nayoung, this is a first.

 

It's probably because of the shirt a friend gave her, and this is the first time that she's wearing it. She finds it uncomfortable because of its neck line, and now, she's wondering if she should go back to her room to get a new shirt, or just wake Nayoung up to borrow one. Since she's too tired for the first option, she settles for the second one.

 

"Unnie." Jieqiong lightly taps Nayoung's cheek. "Can I borrow a shirt?"

 

"Hmm." Nayoung stirs a little and pulls the younger girl closer again. And because of that, Jieqiong can't stop herself from smiling.

 

"I'll take that as a yes, then." She giggles while carefully removing the arm that was hugging her close. Why does Nayoung have to be that clingy when asleep, though?

 

-

 

The next morning, Nayoung wakes up with Jieqiong hugging her close. She almost forgot that Jieqiong went in her room last night. She, then, removes herself from the younger girl slowly but surely, as to not wake her up. Gently pulling the blanket over Jieqiong, Nayoung doesn't seem to realize that the younger girl is wearing her shirt. Her shirt.

 

"GOOD MORNING!" Somi greets her as soon as she reaches the living room. Nayoung stares at her for a while, finding it unusual that the other members are already up, watching cartoons.

 

"How come you're already awake?" Nayoung asks quietly. "I thought you stayed up all night partying like there's no tomorrow."

 

"Oh, so that unnie told you." Somi laughs. "Nah. Let's talk about you... so, how's sleeping with Jieqiong unnie?"

 

Before Nayoung can even answer, someone from her room comes out. It turns out to be Jieqiong, looking beautiful as ever even without make-up.

 

"Good morning~" Jieqiong greets with a smile on her face. Everybody in the living room snaps their heads towards the Chinese girl, who is making her way towards the kitchen.

 

As soon as they see Jieqiong's top, the members are either confused, shocked, or maybe both. Doyeon's eyes widen. Yoojung and Somi have their jaws dropped. Chungha blinks. Sohye, in the typical Sohye way, goes back to eating after seeing Jieqiong. Well, Jieqiong coming out of Nayoung's room is not new to them. She usually sleeps beside Nayoung when she can't sleep. But Jieqiong wearing Nayoung's shirt? That shirt that Nayoung loves so much that she wears it every week? That's a first.

 

Somi was about to tease Jieqiong until she sees Nayoung staring at the Chinese girl from afar. 

 

On the other hand, Nayoung seems to wonder why the hell is Jieqiong wearing her shirt. She tries to remember what happened the night before. Did she sleep with Jieqiong? -- maybe not, Jieqiong doesn't like her that way. Was she drunk? -- no, she doesn't drink. Nayoung gives up after trying to remember every little detail last night.

 

And the fact that Jieqiong looks good in her clothes doesn't fail to cross her mind... Nevermind, she'll just wait for the younger girl to return it.

 

-

 

The members of the I.O.I unit are gathered in the living room, except the ones from Pledis. Nayoung and Jieqiong were called by their manager for a meeting together with the Pledis Girlz, so they had to leave.

 

"Guys, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Somi speaks up, with a foolish grin on her face. The other members laugh, clapping their hands in amusement.

 

"I knew it. They're girlfriends." Doyeon points out, with her two arms raised in a usual Doyeon way. "And they've reached to that stage already."

 

"Yah, we can't be so sure." Chungha crosses her arms. "Besides, all I saw earlier was Jieqiong hugging Nayoung, and we all know how clingy she could get."

 

"But there's something, isn't there?" Sohye says quietly. "I don't know about you, but I believe there is."

 

The members nod to Sohye's words and start to think for a while more.

 

"Honestly, when I saw Jieqiong unnie wearing Nayoung unnie's shirt, I really thought that they did it last night." Somi says proudly, followed by a kick in the shin by Yoojung.

 

"Yah, you're too young for that." Yoojung warns and later adds, "but that doesn't mean that I don't agree with you." The members laugh.

 

"Now that I'm thinking of it..." Chungha's eyes widen at the thought. "Ah, nevermind. Aish you, kids. They won't do that, especially that I was there." 

 

"Or maybe you were sleeping like a log and the only thing that can wake you up is the sound of the opening of a bag of dried sweet potatoes." Doyeon chuckles. The I.O.I dorm is once again filled with laughter. "But, yeah, they really look couple-ish to me, guys."

 

"By the way, Nayoung unnie doesn't seem to mind that Jieqiong unnie was wearing her favorite shirt?" Somi shrugs. "Or I don't know, she was just staring at her earlier." 

 

"You, idiot. She was staring at her because- SHE WAS FALLING IN LOVE MUCH DEEPER WITH ZHOU JIEQIONG~" Doyeon with the dramatics strikes again that made the members laugh like there's no tomorrow.

 

After that, the members promise that they will be more observant the next time they see Im Nayoung and Zhou Jieqiong.

 

-

 

And true to their words, the members are becoming more observant as time goes by. Doyeon and Yoojung are sitting closely together on the floor, both in their own world until the two members from Pledis arrived in their dorm.

 

"Hey, kids." Nayoung greets them and sits on the previously empty couch. "Have you eaten?" 

 

"Not yet, unnie." Yoojung smiles.

 

"Nayoung unnie, let's order pizza and chicken." Jieqiong sits beside Nayoung. Too close to Nayoung, actually, since she just squeezed herself between the end of the couch and Nayoung. 

 

Of course, Doyeon and Yoojung will never fail to notice that. And they try their best not to smirk, especially at the fact that Im Nayoung doesn't even look like she's gonna move anytime soon.

 

-

 

The next time Nayoung sees Jieqiong wearing her favorite shirt is a week after, and that is actually the time that she realizes that the younger girl hasn't returned it yet.

 

The members are once again eating on the floor and Jieqiong sits next to Nayoung again, with literally no space in between. There may be so much space in the room, yet Jieqiong will always, always must be next to Im Nayoung... and the members don't fail to notice that again.

 

"Nayoung unnie, you didn't tell us that you two are on that stage already." Yoojung says as soon as Jieqiong went to the kitchen with Somi.

 

"What are you talking about?" Nayoung says with her eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Oh, please. You two did it." Doyeon smirks. "She even went out of your room wearing your shirt. WEARING. YOUR. SHIRT. UNNIE."

 

"What?!" Nayoung becomes more confused. The members think that she's dating Jieqiong and they're doing it but neither of that will ever happen.

 

"I still can't believe that you guys are dating and you didn't even tell us." Chungha crosses her arms. "And I'm your roommate, for god's sake."

 

"You think we are d- what?" Nayoung shakes her head. "Seriously, we're not."

 

But the thing is... Nayoung likes seeing Jieqiong wear that shirt. She thinks that she looks so good in her clothes. But then, she doesn't want her members to misinterpret everything.

 

Meanwhile at the kitchen, Somi tries to ask Jieqiong, who was washing her hands.

 

"So, unnie, how's wearing Nayoung unnie's shirt for the second time?" Somi teases. Jieqiong turns the faucet off and faces the younger girl.

 

"Ah, this? It's comfy." Jieqiong smiles. She almost added that the shirt smells like Nayoung even though it has been washed already, good thing that she still has some self-control in her.

 

"Why do you like it so much? It's not even stripes." Somi says with an annoying smirk on her face. Jieqiong blushes and proceeds to wash her hands again.

 

"I said, it's comfy and I like it." Jieqiong smiles, trying to hide the blush on her face. But of course, Somi's able to see that.

 

-

 

"Hey, I want my shirt back." Nayoung says as Jieqiong sits next to her, too close for her liking. She finally decides to talk to the younger girl about her favorite shirt.

 

"Good luck with that." Jieqiong teases. Nayoung looks at her and senses that the younger girl doesn't seem that she's going to return her shirt anytime soon.

 

"Yah, the members th-"

 

"Think that we're dating... is that it?" Jieqiong shifts a little, facing Nayoung, wih an unreadable expression on her face. They stare at each other's eyes for a while until Nayoung nods in return.

 

"Just let them think that, unnie." Jieqiong finally smiles and rests her head on Nayoung's shoulder. Nayoung blushes and hopes that the younger girl will just stay there for a while, so that her blushing won't be noticed.

 

Meanwhile, the other members have witnessed this scene. Somi was actually the only one who heard their conversation since she was sitting on the floor, not more than a meter away from the two. Her face lit up the moment she heard Jieqiong's words, and it caught the attention of the other members. 

 

Of course, they won't let that pass and they put it in their imaginary "Are Im Nayoung and Zhou Jieqiong a thing?" notebook.

 

-

 

It's the third time that Nayoung sees Jieqiong wearing her shirt again, and she still doesn't have an idea why Jieqiong hasn't returned it yet. Yeah sure, the shirt is really comfortable to wear but the Chinese girl can always buy one, right?

 

Nayoung might be missing her favorite shirt, but seeing Jieqiong wear it somehow makes her forget that it is hers. She thinks that the younger girl looks so good in it - scratch that, she looks good in everything-- but Nayoung will never admit that to anybody.

 

"Jieqiong, I swear, if you don't return my shirt, I'll-" Nayoung corners Jieqiong while the latter was preparing her cereal one morning.

 

"You'll what," The Chinese girl cuts her off. "you'll kill me?" Jieqiong grins.

 

"I was about to say that I'll wear gray socks, but yeah that'll do too." Nayoung says with a blank expression on her face that made Jieqiong giggle. Why does Nayoung have to be so adorable?

 

"Why so cute?" Jieqiong whispers to herself, not knowing that Nayoung could hear her. "But, Nayoung unnie, why don't you like it when they think that we're a thing? I'm enjoying it." Jieqiong grins once again.

 

"Because we're not, Jieqiong." Nayoung pats the top of the younger girl's head. Jieqiong's expression fades and Nayoung swears that she hates herself for saying those words.

 

"Fine." Jieqiong sighs, but then she flashes a smile after. The smile that could outshine the sun. "Someday you'll want us to be one."

 

-

 

Time really changes everything. As it passes by, Nayoung and Jieqiong grow closer than ever. And unknown to the two, both of them are falling in love with each other much deeper. There are times when Nayoung just finds herself staring at Jieqiong, and vise versa. And when it comes to skinship, Nayoung doesn't look awkward anymore, instead there are times that she's actually initiating it and Jieqiong definitely doesn't have a problem with that.

 

"Jieqiong, my shirt-" Nayoung walks towards the younger girl during their practice one afternoon. She hands her a bottled water, and when the latter takes it, she boldly tucks a hair behind Jieqiong's ear.

 

"Unnie, I swear, I'll return this soon." Jieqiong says after drinking water. She lost count of how many times Nayoung has asked her to return that shirt. Nayoung's shirt.

 

"No, keep it." Nayoung smiles. "I was gonna tell you to keep it... and I like seeing you in it." She says rather shyly and a blush still creeps out on her face. Jieqiong giggles at this sight.

 

"THAT WAS SO SMOOTH!" Somi shouts from a meter away, slow clapping together with the others. Nayoung and Jieqiong look at her direction, only to find the other members staring at them, with smiles and smirks on their faces.

 

"Did you really think that we couldn't hear you?" Yoojung teases. Then, the two girls look at each other, their eyes seem to communicate by themselves.

 

"Yah, they never really thought of that because..." The other members prepare themselves for whatever dramatic line that Doyeon may say. "-they're stuck in their own world." Doyeon says it with emotions, as if she's acting in a drama. The members laugh in return.

 

"So, have you two talked about your feelings and s?" Chungha raises her hand, as if she's reciting in class.

 

"Aish." Nayoung jokingly rolls her eyes, then smiles after, as if she did not hear what Chungha said. "You guys still have to work on the choreo before we start practicing."

 

"And you guys don't?" Somi smirks. The members await for Nayoung's answer. Jieqiong looks at Nayoung too. 

 

"Yeah, because Jieqiong and I are gonna have to talk outside." Nayoung intertwines her fingers with Jieqiong's boldly, taking everyone by surprise. Except Chungha, who just smiles like a proud mom.

 

A few seconds after, the members rush to their own bags to get their phones. It was an iconic moment and if they don't get to capture that, then they won't have any evidence to show to their Produce 101 friends, especially to the Pledis Girlz. Most especially Eunwoo and Siyeon, who will freak out once they see it.

 

"YAH!" Sohye shouts. "What happened to our Nayoung unnie? What did you do to her?"

 

"What happened to our responsible leader?"

 

"I was kidding." Nayoung huffs, her hand is still holding Jieqiong's. "But, really, Jieqiong, we'll talk later." Nayoung looks at Jieqiong, and all the latter could see was love in her eyes.

 

Fortunately, the members are able to take pictures of the two staring at each other and holding hands. Well, Nayoung doesn't look like she's letting go of Jieqiong's hand, anyway.

 

Meanwhile, Jieqiong laughs at the situation she's in. Nayoung is acting different today, whether she's confessing her feelings to Jieqiong or not, the Chinese girl isn't so sure. The members are really funny, too. They've been teasing them nonstop, but she's not complaining. It's fun.

 

And whether Nayoung--her Nayoung unnie, is playing games with her or not, it doesn't really matter. She decides to join her in this act--or whatever you call it--without backing down.

 

"Later, huh?" Jieqiong pulls the older girl closer by her hand, then cups Nayoung's cheek with her other one. She looks like she's about to kiss the older girl, which makes Nayoung nervous all of a sudden. 

 

The members await for what will happen. They've been wanting to see the two kiss ever since they started thinking if Nayoung and Jieqiong are really a thing. And now, they surely hope that Jieqiong will be bold enough to kiss Nayoung. 

 

But guess what they got instead?

 

Nayoung jokingly leans to kiss Jieqiong, really quick just like what Jieqiong did to Mina at the airport a few months ago.

 

And their lips touched. So much for playing kissy, Im Nayoung.

 

Everybody in the practice room had their jaws dropped. Even the two who accidentally kissed were shocked themselves.

 

And before somebody could even talk, Jieqiong cups Nayoung's face and kisses her for real. Nayoung is shocked at first, then she finds herself kissing her back. When they pulled away, genuine smiles are on their faces, and they look at each other as if they're the only ones in the world. Well, they'll just deal with the other members later. 

 

-----

that's it! i hope you liked it! comments are well-appreciated hehehe spread the napink love y'all