Final

Maybe Someday


“Dad, can we buy cookies?”

“Not today, Jungsoo.”

“…Dad, can we buy cupcakes?”

“Not today, Jungsoo.”

Kyungsoo appraises the supermarket’s melon selection as his son tugs insistently on his pant leg and eyes the display of baked goods not too far away. He’s not screaming, which Kyungsoo considers “good behavior,” so he’s majorly unbothered as he tests the fruit in his hand for firmness.

“Dad, can we get an ice cream cake?”

Kyungsoo puts his melon in the cart and crouches down to the five-year-old’s level. “You can get one thing,” he smiles, holding up a finger. “Think very hard about what you want, okay?”

Jungsoo looks tormented, immediately falling silent as he weighs his many options. Kyungsoo’s grin widens, and he ruffles his hair before standing back up and pushing the cart forward with Jungsoo on his heels.

Let’s see, maybe he should grab some steaks for his own dinner tonight if he doesn’t want to be eating hot dogs and mac cheese…

“Whoa,” Jungsoo gasps as Kyungsoo stands over the chilled display of meat. “Dad, look!”

“What is it, big guy?” Kyungsoo asks, reading the label on a styrofoam package.

“Dad, that guy looks really cool!”

Kyungsoo glances over his shoulder at his son and follows his gaze upwards to a man shopping for ground beef behind them. Said man is covered in intricate tattoos, exposed by his sleeveless shirt, and he flashes a grin at Jungsoo when he realizes that the child is referring to him. Kyungsoo’s own thoughts as he looks up at this stranger aren’t so much “he looks really cool” as they are “holy I’d let him bone me,” but he manages to keep his cool as he rests a hand on top of his son’s head. He draws breath to laugh and politely apologize, but the stranger crouches down and proffers a fist for Jungsoo to bump before he has a chance.

“Hey, thanks man,” the stranger says with a smile. Jungsoo looks absolutely delighted and enthusiastically taps the man’s fist with his much smaller one.

“Can I touch your arm?” Jungsoo asks eagerly, and the stranger’s eyes flick up to Kyungsoo for permission. Kyungsoo thinks he’s about to combust because young, hot, tatted guys don’t just casually bump into you in the meat section of the grocery store, but he nods his assent anyways, trying not to be too obviously swayed by how how gorgeous this dude’s eyes are. The man grins and looks back to Jungsoo, answering in the affirmative and extending an arm which Jungsoo feels with adorable fascination.

“They are pretty sick, dude,” Kyungsoo admits, eying the ink that creeps out from beneath the collar of the man’s shirt.

“Thank you,” the stranger chuckles, affectionately ruffling Jungsoo’s hair before standing. “Your son’s adorable.”

Not as adorable as you, Kyungsoo wants to say, but holds himself back. “Isn’t he?” he says instead, smiling proudly at the kindergartener at his feet. “Thank you.”

“Jongin,” the stranger unexpectedly introduces himself, looking at Kyungsoo with a grin and a glint of mirth in his eye as he extends his hand. Kyungsoo feels himself flush, but hopes it doesn’t show as he returns the smile and shakes it firmly.

“Kyungsoo.”

“Where’s Mom?” Jongin asks conversationally, walking in the same direction as Kyungsoo as he pushes the cart forward again with Jungsoo between them. Kyungsoo glances down at his list.

“No longer with us.”

“Oh…” Jongin says, expression softening. “Oh god, I’m sorry Kyungsoo.”

“Don’t worry; it’s okay,” Kyungsoo says honestly, smiling at Jongin. “We weren’t married or anything. She was my senior prom date. It’s been four years or so.”

“Still,” Jongin shifts anxiously, secretly relieved that he hadn’t accidentally tried to hit on a widower. “That must be rough.”

“She was a lovely girl,” Kyungsoo says, looking fondly down at Jungsoo. “And without her, I wouldn’t have this little punk.”

“Dad, I know what I want!”

“Hm? You decided?” Kyungsoo smiles. “What is it?”

“Him!” Jungsoo beams, pointing up at Jongin. “He’s awesome!”

Jongin cracks up and Kyungsoo’s cheeks turn pink, unbelieving that his five-year-old is being a better wingman right now than Chanyeol has ever been. “Jungsoo, I don’t think Jongin wants to come home with us.”

“What makes you think that?” Jongin smirks, the double meaning of the words lost on the child, and Kyungsoo wishes a hole would open up beneath his feet because god Jongin is y. “Maybe we could start off by getting coffee sometime?”

“Are you asking me out?” is Kyungsoo’s brilliant response, and Jongin an eyebrow in amusement.

“Either I’m really bad at reading people or you definitely swing both ways.”

“What does that mean?” Jungsoo asks, craning his neck to look up at the grown ups conversing above him. Kyungsoo inwardly sighs. His son knows fully well that he likes both genders, but he’s still not about to have this conversation in a supermarket in front of inked-up, -on-legs, smirking Jongin.

“I haven’t been on a date in a while,” Kyungsoo admits as he pulls out his phone, and Jongin’s grin broadens as he realizes that he’s won. “You’ll have to bear with me.”

“Well you’re the most attractive guy I’ve met in a while, and your son is awesome too,” Jongin tells him as he creates himself a contact in Kyungsoo’s phone, adding the bear and the needle emoji to his name. “Single dad life must be tough. Let me know if you’re busy and need me to come play catch with him for a while sometime.”

“I will,” Kyungsoo grins, wondering how someone so edgy-looking can be so soft. “And I can’t wait for coffee.”

“You better,” Jongin teases, adjusting the basket on his arm. “I just came for the beef so I guess I’ll leave you two alone. Jungsoo…” Jongin crouches, grinning at the boy. “I think your dad is really cute. Tell him to call me, okay?”

Jungsoo’s face lights up. “Wait, are you gonna be my new papa?”

Kyungsoo groans aloud this time, and Jongin laughs handsomely as he musses the boy’s hair. “We’ll see about that,” he says, grinning at Kyungsoo one more time as he stands up. “Nice to meet you, Soo,” he says, playfully bumping shoulders as he walks down the aisle towards the checkout. Kyungsoo closes his eyes and draws a deep breath as the younger’s footsteps retreat, willing himself not to turn and stare at Jongin’s in his skinny jeans right in front of his child.

“Dad, I want my arms to look like that!” Jungsoo says, and Kyungsoo laughs before picking him up and letting him sit in the cart.

“Maybe someday, buddy.”

Maybe someday.

 


twitter / LJ