Home is...

Where home is

 

 

The city view extended in front of him. Building like mountains almost filled the horizon, and lights twinkled for as long as his sight could reach. He stood by the curtain sundown and admired it, he saw cars rushing in a blur of faint lights, he saw little dots in the sky and then he saw the moon.

Something within him resurfaced and he felt himself get lighter as it became stronger. It was just the moon, high in the sky and full, but Donghae thought of his own moon.

It was beyond cheesy, but Donghae was content. His moon, Hyukjae. He would see him tonight.

Donghae walked to the kitchen to get himself a drink, to cool down the excitement bubbling in his chest, and to ease the anguished longing he had kept within for long months now. Hyukjae wouldn't be here for a long while, and Donghae was early and alone waiting in their own home. Home, such an underestimated word, used so lightly to indicate where you live, sleep and eat within.

Home is a place you only appreciate when you're not going back to in a long while. And Donghae is fully aware of it's meaning now.

He had time on his hands. Hyukjae wouldn't be here for another hour, and he sat there, his eyes wandering about as his mind recalled many shared memories in this apartment, wether they were of him and Hyukjae eating in the kitchen, with they backs to the countertops and facing each other trying not to burst into laughter,  or just them lounging on the leather couch, almost draped over each other in a lazy free after noon they decided to spend watching western movies, or them kissing once the door was closed, or the hazy mornings and half open eyes barely brushing their teeth in the bathroom.

He remembered their last day in this apartment before they parted for a really long while. He thought of them returning to this apartment after months of absent and he remembered how tight he hugged his Hyukjae and how Hyukjae hugged him back even tighter.

He thought of so many things and he could stop the memories rushing back. Longing like no other festered in his chest and it hurt him and comforted him and gave him strength. He felt like a man who had been walking day and night in the desert and finally caught a glimpse of an oasis. He was close but not really.

Anticipation was building within him like it had been going for days, ever since he knew he can meet Hyukjae again, finally. He was close yet so far and he wanted to hear some keys jingling already. Was Hyukjae going to be late? Will be late? How will he handle it? He was already at edge.

A heavy sigh passed his lips as he made his way to the kitchen once again, he had showered and dressed comfortably again and maybe he would look for something to munch on.

The cabinets were restocked for their stay by his brother, and the creek of the white cabinet's door covered the sound of the door opening, leaving him wondering if he was alone still. He paused in his actions, his hand still holding to knob but his heart anythin but still, it roared against his ribs in the same familiar way it did in most of the precious moments he spend with Hyukjae.

The sound of a bag hitting the floor and the sound of steps against the wooden floor were his cue. He barely saw Hyukjae before he was huging him, unable to hold back the laughter, and the delight that washed his heart. "Donghae, Donghae," he heard Hyukjae laugh in his ear, and he knew the man is smiling so wide his eyes are already framed with laughters wrinkles by now.

Hyukjae's hand around his shoulder moved so there was some space between them, so he could look at his Hyukjae in the eyes. He smiled and he knew it was wide.

"Hello, Donghae." Hyukjae said.

"Hello, Hyuk." he replied and it was all they needed before their smiling lips met after a very long time.

He pressed his forehead against hyukjae's and looked at him in the eye like hadn't done in so long. "I missed you." he said, repeated what his heart was saying.

Hyukjae did that smile thing, when he smiles from one corner of his mouth before it lights up to a full, wide, gummy smile. "I missed you too, idiot." Donghae laughed, for no reason, and yet because he had every reason to do so as Hyukjae still had his arms around and he had his arms around Hyukjae.

Hyukjae can't forget the time he was in this apartment last time and some months ago. They both were teary eyed and plainly sad and a bit upset. Donghae had said he can't do it anymore, and it was too hard to be serving his country with all those other young men, and hyukjae, almost just almost agreed to it, but his mouth said other wise and he found himself making Donghae promise him to never give up and try his best for them, just like how he would be doing. Inside him, pain was building up and the wound of seperation was ripped open again. It was okay, he kept telling Donghae and himself as well.

It was okay after all. Donghae was here, laughing as Hyukjae told him about all the letters ELF sent him while his soldier friends grumbled and left him to them. It is really okay he figured.

"You've lost weight." Donghae muttered suddenly. They were sitting on the couch, legs on the coffee table and sides against each other while Hyukjae kept their hands clasped in his lap. It was time to catch up once again.

"I could say the same about you, you know?" he replied.

"But people would still say I'm handsome, but you.." Donghae trailed off, laughing when Hyukjae scowled.

"Hey!" he warned with no heat. And Donghae chuckled quietly. "This is nice, he remarked and Donghae nodded.

"It is. I missed you so much, did I tell you?"

"You did. And I said I missed you as much."

"Good, because you should." Donghae said and Hyukjae could only smile as Donghae gave him one of his knowing looks.

"Do you wanna eat somthing? I saw some snacks in the cabinet." Donghae asked, leaning towards him and resting his chin over Hyukjae's shoulder so that he could just tilt his head and kiss him.

He did anyways, and Hyukjae held onto his hand tighter.

He didn't think Hyukjae would follow him to the kitchen. He was only gonna take five minutes maximum to gather food and drinks, but Hyukjae's arms fell on his middle and a warm presence encased him.

Donghae sighed deeply and Hyukjae took the chance to kiss his cheek. He thought Hyukjae would say something, but he didn't and they remained standing like that for minutes before he turned around and dived for a better hug.

He hummed under his breath when they fit into each other tightly, with their heads resting over each other's shoulders. It felt peaceful, calm and quiet and like fireworks erupting within at the same time.

The phone calls had been short, the text messages made it feel like they were further away than they actually were, and letters were coded because they could not declare how much they loved and missed each other so frankly.

Hyukjae's arms tighten around him just a little bit as they breath in and out together unconsiensly and as his eyes fluttered shut at the sheer bliss that ran through their veins. All the times he thought he couldn't do it, all the troubles he went through, all the grueling training sessions he thought he couldn't survive were in the back of his head and he could only feel and understand this moment.

It felt better than playing in the pure white snow, and better than summer beaches and waves tickling hia feet, it felt much better than sitting in a swing and letting spring engulf him completely.

Because home is his arms wrapped around Donghae, giving him the strength he needs to go on. The morning surely will come, and their time would be up, Donghae knew and Hyukjae knew.

They would part for another time and they would have to keep their love on hold until the time they meet. They knew. But the safety of each other was too blissful and warm to think of such things right now. The moment now was far more too important than the coming ones.

Donghae glanced at Hyukjae falling asleep, head lolling to all directions, and felt that strong gush of emotions stir within him. God, he loved him. He loved him so much.

He would wait, for however long it will take to have this moment again. These moments now, and as he decided to shake Hyukjae awake,  will keep him going for some months, just like the ones before it kept him going till today. It will be enough to guide him home once more.

 

 

 

Just how much do you miss those two?