prologue

mid open (a way into your heart)

Flash Q&A, a platform where you can interact with your favourite NA pros!

*~ This week’s special team focus edition: GOT7 ~*

Question of the week: What’s the reason behind your gamer ID?

 

“...*static*…”

“Anney-…oh, , sorry, can we-…”

“No no, it’s fine, we’ll translate and put subs on the screen, just answer the question, thanks.”

“I can speak Korean?”

I dunno, can you?”

“Shut up and let him answer the question, Phil.”

“Uhm. Okay. Hello, my name is Im Jaebum, toplaner for two-time LCS champion North American League of Legends progaming team GOT7-…”

That’s-…we included the intro in the beginning.”

“Oh, so I just-…”

“Yeah. Just jump right into it.”

“Uh. Okay. My ID is JB, because it’s short for my name.”

“…”

“That’s it.”

Seriously?”

“Shut up, Phil. Okay, thanks man. /mumbling aside/ Maybe we’ll have more luck with the rest.”

 

“...*static*…”

 

So, just start with your name.”

“So. My gamer ID is Junior, I’m GOT7’s starting jungler. And it’s JOO-NEE-UR, not Jayare- I changed the spelling last year. I love this game, I love my fans, I love the casters, but it’s just not right when the audience is screaming out the wrong name when we get a good gank during our games. Just because we have a blockheaded top who decided to call himself Jaybee of all things, doesn’t mean the same rules should apply to my own name. Let it be known, for the last time-…”

Alright, ok, uh, thanks, Jay-…Junior. Uh, that’s all we have time for-...sorry about that, we would’ve loved to hear more.”

“Oh, alright. Thanks!”

/aside/ did he even answer the question?”

“I dunno man, I couldn’t understand half of what he was saying. His English was good though.”

 

“...*static*…”

 

We’re doing the reasons behind your name. Can you, uh-…can you understand? You can speak in Korean if you want to.”

“Uh, yeah.”

So, just-…start with your name. Keep it short and simple.”

“Not too short and simple.”

“Quiet, Phil.”

“My name’s Kim Yugyeom, I’m the substitute jungler for GOT7, who should actually be the starter because our current starter talks too much and kinda like that. My gamer ID was supposed to be Choco because chocolate milkshakes are the best things on earth, but they said it sounded too close to Youngjae’s, so Bambam got our coach to register me as Browny.”

…”

Did you uh, did you know-…”

“No.”

So uh-…

“I hope he chokes on his food every day.”

“Ooookay, thanks, uh, Browny. /aside/ okay maybe we’ll have more luck with the local later.”

 

“...*static*…”

 

Hello everyone, my name is Youngjae! I am the GOT7 midlane!”

“Hey there! Okay, so you got the briefing?”

“Yeah! I must talk about my Summoner ID meaning, right?”

Yeah, you can do it in Korean if you want to. Phew, you guys have a lot of imports-…I mean, Koreans.”

“Goddamnnit Phil.”

“What are imports?”

Uhh, let’s just start the interview.”

“Okay! My Summoner ID was Genius7 because GOT7, you know, but the casters complained four syllables was too long, so I changed it. It’s Coco now because I have a puppy I bought with Mark called Coco! She’s the cutest dog in the world. Do you wanna see some photos?”

Uh, sure, I mean-…

“Here’s a photo of her when we first adopted her, and then when we brought her out on her first walk, and here’s one of her when she wore her booties out in the rain, and then in all these little outfits the fans gave us-…”

“Okay, thanks, Coco, we really-…uh, your AD carry’s coming in now.”

“Aww, okay! I can show you more pictures next time!”

“Thanks, uh, yeah, sure.”

 

“...*static*…”

 

“Bambam, right? Our first non-Korean of the day. So you’re from-…”

“Thailand.”

“Oh. Okay, yeah so-… /aside/ holy , do we even have a Thai translator?”

I’m okay with English, actually!”

“Ohmygod thank you. Yeah. So you got the briefing?”

“Yep! So anyway, I’m Bambam, GOT7’s substitute AD carry- it’s a nickname my mom gave me when I was young, and I really like it. The fans think it’s cute and I am really cute, so yeah! Just like my favourite champions Corki and Caitlyn.”

“Aww.”

“It’s also great when people laugh at it in-game so they don’t see it coming when I crush all their hopes and dreams into the death timer.”

“…”

“/aside/ good grief, are any of them actually normal?”

“So like, are we done here? I’ve kinda got places to go- ladder isn’t going to climb itself, you know.”

 

“...*static*…”

 

“/aside/ No, no, it’s fine, we got the local, finally.”

“So hey, Mark! GOT7’s star support, NA represent, amirite? Man, it’s great seeing a familiar face, finally.”

I don’t know you.”

“As in like-…okay never mind. You got the memo?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, so uh, go ahead, then, break a leg, man.”

“Uh. My Summoner ID is Mark. Because it’s my name.”

“…”

“/clears throat/ That’s…that’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“…”

 

“...*static*…”

 

“Please be good. I have a family to feed. I need this footage.”

“Dude, chill, I got this. They were nuts, right, my team?”

Ohmygod save us. Yes. Thank you. You’re not from NA though, are you?”

“Nah man, 852 represent! But I’ve spent a load of time in LA.”

“Okay, so you got the info?”

Yup. Okay, so JFlawless- J for my name, Jackson, duh, and Flawless like my playstyle- it gets a little rough when I need to carry the team through bad games, yeah, but otherwise I’ve bet you’ve never seen a smoother Jinx than mine.”

“When did you come up with it?”

“A long time back, actually- when I was playing support with the Taipei Assassins, we have some weird names there and my coach just told me to come up with something or I wouldn’t be registered in the tourney. It was kinda immature at that time but it’s grown on me- it’s pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy, yeah?”

Great stuff, thanks so much, man. Last thing, uh, we got this from a fan. Is it true your gamer ID used to be TuanYiEn before you turned pro, from when you were a fan of Mark’s support plays?”

“…”

“…Uh...no.”

“Uh, because they sent us this pretty real-looking screenshot-…

God, how did you find that, I thought I buried that- , lemme see the screenshot.”

“Uhm. Is this a sensitive issue, or…?”

“…”

“…”

“I’m going to wreck Bambam.”

 

“...*static*…”