the end

Yes or No

 

The members are gathered in the living room for no particular reason. Nayoung, Jieqiong, and Chungha are on the couch, watching whatever the remote control leads them to. The inseparable duo, popularly known as Dodaeng, sits on the floor, playing some stupid game that they probably learned from their PD101 friends. Soon after, Sohye and Somi joins them. Meanwhile, the other members are busy in their own respective schedules.

 

It is rather an ordinary day for them. No schedule for the day means that they have all the day to do what they want... or do nothing, it is their choice anyway. Until Jieqiong does something out of the blue that shocks everybody in their dorm... or maybe not everybody.

 

"Unnie, would you date me?" Jieqiong asks, her head still resting on Nayoung's lap. Apparently, she says it out loud, loud enough to be heard by the other members - who actually stopped whatever they are doing. Their heads snap towards Nayoung, waiting for her answer.

 

"What?"

 

"If you were a man, would you date me?" Jieqiong shifts her body a little to look at the older girl's face. She actually does not have to wait that long for an answer because Nayoung answers faster than expected.

 

"No." Nayoung answers, eyes still on the television. She does not even make an effort to glance at the Chinese girl.

 

This time, the other members look at Jieqiong, waiting for her reply. Well, that actually hurt, right?

 

"Ah, okay. I was just curious." The Chinese girl breaks a smile on her face, trying her best to hide how disappointed she is. Fake smiles. The members know that Jieqiong is faking her smile, and they understand.

 

--

 

A few days after that out-of-the-blue question of Zhou Jieqiong, Nayoung realizes that she should have thought about the consequences she has to face after answering "no". Jieqiong barely initiates skinship with her, instead she's clinging to the other members recently. And Nayoung is truly bothered. She may never admit that she likes--scratch that, she loves Clingy Jieqiong, but she misses it now.

 

"Yah, Nayoung unnie!" Nayoung's thoughts are cut off by the voice of the youngest one in the group. She looks around to see Somi with Jieqiong, the latter clinging onto Somi, head resting on her shoulder. "Save me from this unnie right here! She's extra clingy today."

 

Hearing that, Jieqiong pouts, her head still resting on the younger girl's shoulder. "You like it, though."

 

"Now I don't." Somi answers immediately. "You're just making Nayoung unnie jealous. And look, she doesn't even care."

 

Feeling defeated, Jieqiong jokingly hits Somi's arm and leaves the younger girl alone. Then, Somi walks towards Nayoung.

 

"This is all your fault, unnie. Fix this." Somi whispers and looks at her straightly, while poking her finger to her chest. Nayoung looks back with an unreadable expression.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Your girlfriend's acting different lately."

 

Nayoung's eyes widen at first, then she goes back to her usual expression.

 

"She's not my girlfriend, Somi."

 

"Oh, right. You rejected her. How can I forget that?" Somi answers with a hint of sarcasm. "She was hurt, unnie. And maybe she is still hurting. I don't know."

 

When Somi feels that Nayoung will not answer further, she rolls her eyes and says a few words.

 

"You're lucky that we love you both. Equally."

 

--

 

Soon after being warned by Somi, Nayoung's phone rings while they are gathered at the dining table. Her phone lights up, and it says that Siyeon is calling her. The member to her right--why, of all members, it must be Somi--smirks at her.

 

"You're dead, unnie."

 

"Remind me to kill you after this phonecall." Nayoung says quietly.

 

"No need, you're dead, anyway." Somi chuckles. Nayoung rolls her eyes, gets up, and excuses herself to take the call, more like the call of Death.

 

Unknown to the two--or maybe it is only Nayoung, the other members have heard them.

 

"Who is it?" Doyeon whispers.

 

"It's Death." Seeing the members' confused faces, Somi laughs at how funny they are.

 

"It's either Siyeon or Eunwoo, isn't it?" Chungha asks. Then, she takes her words back. "Ah, no. It's just Siyeon, right?"

 

"Right. I don't think Nayoung unnie would even think of Eunwoo as Death, like ever."

 

The members gathered at the table share a good laugh. Then, they pause, realizing that Jieqiong is with them. Eyes are on her once again.

 

"Yah, you told them, didn't you?" Yoojung accuses the Chinese girl.

 

"I didn't, okay!" Jieqiong whines. When she sees the we-don't-believe-you faces of the other girls, she sighs in defeat. "Fine. I told them. I just needed to vent out, okay?"

 

"Do you really like Nayoung unnie that much?" Doyeon asks, palm resting on her chin. Jieqiong stares at her for a while and sighs once again.

 

"Nah, it doesn't matter now."

 

-

 

"Hel-" Nayoung is immediately cut off by the person on the other line.

 

"Nayoung unnie, we need to talk." Siyeon says in a serious tone. "Right, right!" A different voice in the background can also be heard, probably Eunwoo's, since those two are the most protective of Jieqiong.

 

"Okay, shoot." Nayoung sighs. She cannot do anything with it, anyway.

 

"Why did you have to be a jerk? Seriously?" Siyeon raises her voice. "Right, right!" Eunwoo shouts once again.

 

"Shut up, Eunwoo." Another girl says in the background, this time Nayoung thinks that it's probably Minkyung.

 

"Hey, I wasn't being a jerk." Nayoung replies calmly.

 

"Yeah, you were. And you still are."

 

"Siyeon, it's not like I turned someone down asking me out." Nayoung has had enough. She does not understand why her members hate her so much just because of saying "NO" when Jieqiong asked her if she would date her--if she were a man, to be precise. "Jieqiong did not ask me out for a date, okay?"

 

"Exactly!" Siyeon answers almost immediately. "If she's hurting like this just because of that, imagine how hurt she will be if she asks you out for real."

 

"It's no big deal, Siyeon." Nayoung sighs. She turns around, looks at the members in the dining area, catching the sight of Jieqiong staring blankly at her food.

 

"She likes you, stupid. Fix this."

 

-

 

I.O.I members are now practicing their choreography in their practice room. They have been dancing for two hours straight without having any break until Nayoung decides to give themselves a short water break.

 

Nayoung, being the great leader (and friend) that she is, walks towards Jieqiong, who is busy trying out the steps by herself. She hands her a bottled water.

 

"Thanks, unnie." Jieqiong takes the bottle from Nayoung, then gulps down the refreshing water. Meanwhile, Nayoung tries not to focus on Jieqiong drinking water, because apparently every little thing that the younger girl does, does something to her. She feels different.

 

"Can I be honest with you?" Jieqiong suddenly speaks up, turning to look at her straight in the eyes. Nayoung stares back and then she realizes something. It's not difficult to look at Jieqiong's sparkling eyes, taking her eyes off of the other girl's eyes is.

 

"Of course, Jieqiong." Nayoung gives a reassuring nod. Whatever Jieqiong is about to say, Nayoung tries to prepare herself for it. "Always."

 

"It hurt me." Jieqiong says softly. Just by hearing those three words, Nayoung's heart breaks a little. "You could have lied and just said yes. I wouldn't mind."

 

"Well, if you wanted a yes, then you asked me the wrong question." Nayoung gives her a little smile. Before Jieqiong could decipher Nayoung's words, the choreographer signals the group that the break time's over.

 

Unknown to the two, the other members have seen them talking in their own little world. And deep down their hearts, they hope that Nayoung and Jieqiong will fix whatever they have to fix.

 

-

 

It takes Jieqiong a long time of thinking... thinking of Nayoung's words during their little talk in their water break. Until one day, suddenly, she decides to be bold enough to ask Nayoung that question once again. Just like before, the other members are gathered at the living room. Nayoung is still sitting on the couch. But this time, she marches towards Nayoung, stands in front of the stone, making the older girl look at her and not on the television.

 

"Nayoung unnie." She tries her best to smile. Nayoung then stares at her, telling her to go on.

 

Meanwhile, the other members are also seeing this. Their eyes are switching between Nayoung and Jieqiong.

 

"Oh no, not again." Sohye whispers under her breath. She covers her eyes, avoiding to watch Nayoung reject the Chinese girl once again.

 

Doyeon bites her lip while waiting for what will happen. Like the other members, she wonders if Jieqiong will ask that goddamn question again--and hurt herself just like the last time.

 

Jieqiong takes a deep breath before asking the question--but this time, it's kinda different. It's do-or-die for Zhou Jieqiong.

 

"If you were into girls, would you date me?" Jieqiong, just like the last time, doesn't have to wait for an answer. Nayoung replies faster than expected.

 

"Of course." Nayoung smiles a little. Jieqiong, in turn, smiles brightly. She's now satisfied. She remembers that she asked for a "yes", yet Nayoung has just given her an "of course".

 

On the other hand, the other members in the living room have their jaws dropped. Is this for real?

 

"How 'bout me, unnie? Would you date me?" Doyeon asks all of a sudden.

 

"No."

 

"Yah! How come y-" Before Doyeon can finish her whining, Nayoung cuts her off.

 

"You have Yoojung."

 

"Yeah, fair point." Doyeon nods. Everybody laughs. The tension in the room is now gone. Special thanks to Nayoung, for not rejecting Jieqiong this time.

 

Then, Nayoung taps the space beside her, signaling Jieqiong to sit next to her.

 

"I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, Jieqiong." Nayoung speaks up. She looks at Jieqiong sincerely, showing that she really is sorry. She thinks of a way to confess her own feelings, but she just can't think of anything else.

 

"Can I... ask you a question this time?" Nayoung asks slowly. Several pairs of ears perked up hearing this.

 

"Sure, unnie. What is it?" Jieqiong smiles.

 

Nayoung closes her eyes, preventing herself to get blinded by the younger girl's bright smile. She takes a deep breath before speaking up.

 

"Jieqiong..." Nayoung opens her eyes, meeting the Jieqiong's eyes once again. "Will you go out with me?"

 

Before Jieqiong can even answer, the other members present in the room start to be in chaos. They run around the living room, screaming, turning, shouting and everything.

 

"AAAAHHHH!!!"

 

"OH! MY! GOSH! NAYOUNG UNNIE DID THAT!"

 

"SHE ING DID THAT!"

 

"IM ING NAYOUNG DID THAT!!!!"

 

"Language, kids."

 

Amidst the chaos, Nayoung buries her face in her (ridiculously large) hands in embarrassment. Why does she have to be a leader of these kids? She, then, feels someone tapping her shoulder. She faces the person, who turns out to be the girl she just asked out.

 

"Of course, unnie." Jieqiong smiles, it looks like her usual smile, but this time, her eyes are brighter than ever. Duh, it's Im freakin' Nayoung for heaven's sake. Nayoung smiles back, and it's a big smile. A big smile from Stone Nayoung. Wow.

 

Then, Jieqiong kisses Nayoung on the cheek. Nayoung blushes, she looks really cute when she's blushing. Of course, the other members will never let this go.

 

"NAYOUNG UNNIE IS BLUSHING! OH MY GOD!!!!!!" 

 

------------------------

 

that's it! my first ever napink one-shot hahahahaha comments are well-appreciated! lol writing napink is fun! they're actually the first non-yoona ship that i've shipped THIS hard (considering that im a yoona trash) spread the napink love~~~