one

Bittersweet

 

 

Staring at the window, I waited. I have this weird habit of waking up before the alarm. I set my alarm at 7:30 and I’ll be awake at 7:00. My body is messed up, just like everything else in my life. I have a class at 8:00. I hate early morning classes. People need to adjust to mornings before they start learning. I closed my eyes. Enjoying the silence. Bom must have slept over at Dong’s. he is her new boyfriend. I like him better than her last boyfriend. He is handsome, funny and kind. I sighed when the alarm went off. getting out of the bed, I stretched a little.

 

I looked around me, what a mess, my room looks like a teenage boy’ s room. but what can I do. I don’t have time to put everything in place, with two part time jobs and school. I don’t have much free time and when I do. I’m always reading or sleeping. I have been living here for one year. This apartment is a gift from uncle Park to Bom and I. he said that he won’t give us any allowance since we’re an adults now but he’ll help us out by finding a nice place near the campus for us to live in. and he is a man of his word.

 

I pulled my t shirt over my head, heading for the bathroom that is connect to my room and Bom’s. Bom doesn’t use this bathroom though, she use the one down the hall. so the door that leads to her room is always locked.

 

 

I have enough time to take a shower and eat breakfast before heading for class. So, I took my time getting ready.

 

 

 


 

 

I grabbed my messenger bag, putting my notebook back inside

 

“you going to the library?”  said Minzy, standing next to my table

 

She is one of my closest friends, I met her a year ago when I start college.

 

“Not today” I sighed, standing up

 

“The deadline is next week, you know that right?” she said as we walked out of the class.

 

Deadlines are everywhere, like seriously we need a break

 

“I know, I’ll work on the paper later, now I need to go, my shift will start in fifteen minutes”

 

“thank you so much for always looking after my lazy bum” I said, hugging her

 

She laughed, poking me

 

“I know that you’re very busy, text me later if you need help with the assignment” she said, giving me a sweet smile

 

“YES SIR!” I waved at her, walking down the stairs

 

 

 

I pulled my phone out of my hoodie pocket, checking the time 9:15 AM. Good I still have 35 minutes. I have to be at the shop ten minutes before my shift or Manager Hwan will never shut up. Then I’ll have to be back to the campus for my afternoon classes. I Looked up at the sun. It’s winter, but the sky is unusually clear and bright. Maybe it a sign that the sun also rises.

 

I jogged down the sidewalk. The bus that takes me to the shop will be there at 9:30. It’s only ten minutes by the bus so I rarely walk to my work place.

 

Later this day I’ll stop at the Lee’s house,Bora my little student is stressed about her upcoming exams so she asked for an extra hour of tutoring. That’s my other job. I tutor the fourteen years old, Bora, three days a week. The money is good so it’s okay to work a little harder.

 

 


 

 

 

“that will be 20000 won” said the cashier, handing me the plastic bags

“thanks” I mumbled, pulling the two green papers out of my wallet. I smiled at him, putting the cash on the table.

 

Pushing the door open, I shivered, what I cold night, pulling the hoodie hood over my head, I took fast steps to the apartment building, it’s only one block away so it’s not that far. I need a hot shower, my body aches. 

 

“Sandara!” I looked back when I heard my name.

 

“Oh, good evening Mrs. Jun” I said, bowing a little

 

She is my neighbor, she live a floor down. I met her the first day I moved in. she is really a nice lady, gave me all the near groceries numbers.

 

“I haven’t seen you in a while” said Mrs. Jun, standing in front of me.

 

“I’m sorry, it’s just that I’m a little busy these days” I smiled at her, shifting the bags to my left hand. It’s kind of heavy.

 

“oh, don’t just stand here, let’s go. It’s a cold night.” She said, hugging my arm.

 

“you have to stop by later, I’ll make you the blueberries cookies” she glanced at me, saying this

 

I love blueberries cookies, she knows that

 

“I WILL! Can I come over tomorrow night” I gasped, looking at her with wide eyed.

 

I’m dead tired but she is so nice, tempting me by my favorite cookies.

 

“of course you can. You’re always welcome” she said, pulling her navy coat tighter around her body.

 

“Thank you” I smiled down at her as we approached the grey building, where we live in.

 

Mrs. Jun kept talking about her son that always beat the boys at his school. he is a bully but I can’t say that to her, that would be insensitive. I nodded to her ever ten seconds as we passed by the building back gate. I hope Bom is at Dong’s I want to enjoy some silence. She is loud, she can sing all day if she felt like it. her voice is gold. But we as human beings need a quite environment to recharge, to think or to sleep. Or it is just me. I don’t know but I really like silence. Especially during days like this.

 

I waved at Mrs. Jun, I climbing the stairs. I live in the first floor. There is only three apartments in each floor. In my floor there is only Bom’s and I apartment and Chanyeol’s apartment. He live with his friend Sehun. I see them now and then since we live in the same building and go to the same school. the other apartment. Is his. He left long time ago. Eight months, three weeks and two days. It’s not that I’m counting but I just happen to look at the calendar every now and then. Totally normal. I’m not freak or anything, people tend to check on calendars. Don’t they?

 

I walked by Chanyeol and Sehun’s apartment, stopping at my door. I dropped the plastic bags to the floor, looking through my messenger bag for the card key.

 

From the corner of my eye. I saw it…

 

Slowly, being pulled. My heart raced as I turned my head to stare. His door was being pulled open.

 

The purple shiny heel on a snowy white feet stepped out of his door. This is not him. she is not him.

 

A slim girl closed the door, her blonde hair was long and shining in the hall dim lighting. She turned to me,  she is beautiful. I stared at her shamelessly as she passed by me. She pulled her short pink dress down, looking back at me. Frowning.

 

She is not him. I know that this apartment is still his. Is he back? Is this his new girl? I swallowed, blinking back the tears. I pressed the card on the sliver square and the door clicked open.

 

I guess something does not change, I pushed the door open. Crap! The bags are still in the hallway.

 

 


 

 

 

Bom Is not back yet. It’s not that I’m waiting for her but I need to know. If his is really back. I’m ashamed to say this but I want to see him again. Even after he used just to .. using me. My feelings for him are still alive and true. You won’t understand this. But when he was with me. he was so sincere. I tried to hate him but I just couldn’t. I felt tears gather in my eyes.

 

When he left. My heart didn’t break over him. My heart was still in one piece but it left with him. there is a huge gap in the middle of chest right now.

 

The way he stare, the way  he speak, the way he hold my hand, his every night ‘I love you’ I know that they were all lies. But I miss them. I miss him so much it hurts.

 

I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks. I wiped my tears, remembering the young lady that stepped out of his place. I took a deep breath, looking at the door when I heard the opening click.

 

“omg you still alive? I thought someone kidnaped you when I found your grocery bags in front of the door” said Bom, gasping as she closed the door.

 

I blinked at her, I’m not in the mood to play her games.

 

“Bommie” I managed to say in a tight a voice, standing up

 

“Ya.. what’s wrong?” she said, throwing the bags on the armchair. I bite my lips watching her taking fast steps towards me.

 

“Is he back?” I asked, dropping my gaze. I can’t look at her. she will just laugh at my foolishness.

 

“who?” she said, pulling me back to sit on the couch

 

“Seung hyun”

 

She was silent for a moment. I heard her sigh

 

“Ya.. Dara! that guy completely walked all over you and you’re still asking about him? Fck Choi Seung Hyun if he was any good I wouldn’t have dumped him. I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you that he was my ex but you were happy with him. I thought that you guys were real! Just get over him” she yelled, shaking me

 

I swallowed, avoiding to look at her eyes, she dropped her hands of my shoulders

 

“you’re so dump” she sighed, shaking her head from side to side

 

 “He can’t be back. A few days ago a friend told me that he saw him in Italy” she explained, standing up

 

“But I saw a girl walk out of his apartment” I told her, looking up at her 

 

“are you sure?” she asked, frowning

 

I nodded

 

She pulled me to stand up, dragging me with her to the door.

 

“Hey.. Bom!” I said, trying to pull my arm

 

She ignored me, pulling the apartment door open

 

My eyes widen when I realized what she wants to do

 

“OMG .. NO!” I yelled at her, trying to break her tight hold on my arm

 

I’m not ready to see him yet! And I look like hell!!

 

“stop acting like a child. If he is back then we should greet him” she said, standing at his door

 

I tried to hide behind her when she rang the bell

 

“I hate you so much!” I whispered, my body shaking.

 

I closed my eyes tightly when I heard the door click. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Grapping Bom’s shirt, I tried to hide as much as I can, omg I don’t want him to see me like this, I’m almost standing behind Bom, if not for my hand that sticking next to her I would have ran as fast as I can.

 

“Yes?” I heard

 

Bom was silent, still closing my eyes, I kicked her leg. My heart beat so fast out of nervousness

 

“Who are you?”

 

I snapped my eyes open, that was clearly Bom’s voice, why is she asking him who is he? When she damn know who is he! Hello? Her ex? My fake-ex?

 

I peeked over her shoulder, glancing at ..

 

Wait.. what? who is this?

 

Blonde guy, he is hair is fuzzy, standing in every direction. I dragged my stare down to his bare chest, whoa .. tattoos!

 

Suddenly that body disappeared. I stared at the white closed door. I glanced at Bom

 

Her eyes were wide open. My shoulders dropped in relieve. I let out a breath, smiling.

 

That dude was anything but Seung hyun.

 

“That little piece of sh!t” hissed Bom, tighten her hold on my arm

 

“Ouch! That hurts!” I yelled at her, pushing her away, she looks … angry. Bom is rarely angry, this is so cool.

 

I laughed, feeling light all of sudden. It’s true that I wanted to see him. but I can’t deny that I’m so relieved that he isn’t back.

I stood aside and waited, you don’t know Bom but when she is angry, sh!t happens.

 

I bite my lower lip holding a smile, as she knocked on his door. It is more like beating the door up and not knocking on it.

 

“YOU LITTLE DOG! COME OUT RIGHT NOW” yelled Bom

 

That dude is in trouble. I looked at Chanyeol and Sehun’s door. Should try to stop her? or should I ask for their help?

 

My eyebrows raised when I heard the door click. Don’t do that! You fool boy.

 

Things happened so fast, Bom’s hand pulled on his hair as she cursed him with every dirty word she knows. ! I need to move, fast! I hurried to her pulling her back off him.

 

“Bommie! Stop that!” I said in a loud voice, trying to break the fight off

 

 

“YOU CRAZY OLD LADY” he yelled back at her, pulling her hands out of his hair.

 

Suddenly, Bom was pushed back on me.

 

“I’m SUING you!” he hissed, pointing his index finger at her.

 

What? suing! What the hack! I looked at Bom, she was leaning back on me, her eyes wide open. Poor Bommie.

 

“What suing? We’ll sue you! how dare you hit a lady!” I said, glaring at him. he is so rude.

 

He was breathing out loud. Glaring back at me.

 

“Suing me? yeah, you can try! And FYI, I’m suing you too!” he snorted, narrowing his eyes

 

What? suing me? I panicked. I’m poor! I don’t have much  money, he can’t sue me! I glanced at Bom.. but she was unusually silent. So useless. I pushed her off me. taking a step towards him.   

 

“Hey, clam down. She forgot to take her pills. She is sick, are you a new neighbor?” I said, smiling at him, trying to win him over.

 

He glared at me, running his hand through his hair

 

“I don’t care! I’m suing you for attacking an unarmed man” he said, folding his arms across his chest

 

What a brat! I clenched my hands, trying to hold back myself

“I apologize on her behave, please forgive her foolishness. That won’t happen again” I bowed a little to him

 

Stupid BOM! Always making me face her actions consequences.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

I blinked when I heard his question. I looked back at Bom, she was still standing where I left her. is she okay?

 

“I asked you a question!” I looked back at him when I heard the anger in his voice

 

“hehehehe, sorry, sorry, I’m Sandara Park. You can call me Dara” I faked a laugh, omg he is starting to get on my nerves

 

I raised one eyebrow at him when he kept staring at me saying, nothing.

 

He is really handsome. His face is … perfect.

 

“Okay” he nodded, glancing at Bom

 

“You own me Sandara Park. Take your friend back to the hospital.” He said, waving his hand as if dismissing me.

 

What the hell? My eyes widen. I pointed to my chest

 

“Why would I own you? I did nothing wrong!” I gasped, glaring at him

 

“Dara.. let’s go” I heard Bom

 

I looked back at her, she looked serious. Bom is never serious. What is the wrong with her? and what with this freak neighbor.

 

I looked back at him but he was starting at me. saying nothing.

 

Okay, let’s just do as Bom said and avoid this crazy person.

 

I turned to Bom, walking with her back to our apartment.

 

I glanced back at his door, but he was still standing there, starting at us. Omg so scary.

 

I stepped into our apartment, slamming the door behind me.

 

“He is out of it. seriously Bom that dude is giving me a bad feeling” I told her, shivering.

 

She looked back at me, whispering two words.

 

 

“Kwon Jiyong”