One

Hyung

“Hyung,” came a high-pitched yell from the door and following the voice was a boy who barreled in through the door and launched himself into the living room.

 

“Hyung,” he called out again, even louder this time. It was a wonder that whomever he was addressing couldn’t hear him.

He dropped his school bags on the floor upon his entry, and ran in and out of rooms calling out loud for his hyung. He flew in and out of rooms not even pausing to stop and check if anyone was inside and that was why he missed the sight of the slender blonde boy who was distractedly reading on his bed while he nodded his head to the ear splittingly loud music in his ears. Despite his noise cancelling headphones he still looked up when the door to his room opened and shut unexpectedly and rather loudly. He sighed to himself and took his headphones off only to be greeted by the yells of the his younger brother which went along the lines of “Hyung,” “Yoongi hyung,” and “Hyung where are you?”.

Yoongi paused the music, closed his book and got off his bed. He walked out his room and followed the sounds of his brother’s voice to the kitchen.

“Taehyung, stop yelling” Yoongi said as he walked into the kitchen. Taehyung was yelling into the cupboards now and Yoongi couldn’t fathom why.

“Oh my gosh hyung, where were you?” Taehyung demanded and ran at his older brothers legs, hugging them.

“Definitely not in the cupboards, why were you looking in there?” Yoongi asked him while looking down at Taehyung.

“I looked everywhere and I couldn’t find you so I thought you were hiding in the cupboards like Harry Potter.”

“Harry was in a closet under the stairs Tae, not in a cupboard.”

“Oh ya” Taehyung said as he let go of Yoongi’s legs and scratched his head, barely a second had passed before his face lit up again and he clicked his fingers, “Like Chip then.”

“Like who?” Yoongi asked, while he searched the very cupboards Taehyung thought he was hiding in for food.

“You know Chip, from Beauty and the Beast. Chip Potts hyung, the little tea cup who had a chip on him” Taehyung had taken a seat on the kitchen counter

“Oh him, he lived in the cupboards with all his siblings right?” Yoongi asked.

“Yup, hyung we should watch that movie again. I can’t believe you didn’t remember Chip.”

“Ya Tae sure. Why were you yelling for me though?”

“Oh that, so today in school we were in the library and we were reading but these two boys kept making so much noise and they were really annoying. I was trying to read this book that I got on dinosaurs - did you know that the first dinosaur to be formally named was the Megalosaurus, back in 1824 and that larger dinosaurs were herbivores and..” before Taehyung could go on, Yoongi cut him off.

“Stay on track Tae” Yoongi reminded him. “What happened with the kid?” Yoongi asked, offering Taehyung a biscuit he had found.

“Oh ya sorry, so he just kept talking and he was so loud so I got annoyed and I told him to shut up but he didn’t listen to me and just kept on talking so I went to him and I told him that if he didn’t shut up then Kim Jong-un would come and get him. Hyung he got so scared, you should have seen his face” Taehyung said and he was doubling over from laughing too hard.

Yoongi watched his younger brother with fondness and amusement in his eyes. He never understood why Taehyung was more afraid of the North Korean president than monsters and vampires and zombies but he found it endearing how Taehyung used Kim Jong-un as his threat for everything. Taehyung had somehow managed to embed that fear in his classmates as well. Yoongi noticed the Band-Aid on Taehyung’s leg and his calm and happy demeanor instantly changed.

“Tae what happened to your leg?”

“Oh um don’t worry hyung, I just fell,” Taehyung said while looking at the floor. Yoongi knew he was lying; Taehyung could never look Yoongi in the face and lie.

“Tae what happened?” Yoongi asked him again.

“His friends pushed me in the playground, hyung it’s okay I’m fine.”

“Why are little children so rude? Do you want me to come to school with you tomorrow?”

“Hyung no, it’s okay. Jiminie and Jungkookie were there, they threatened the other boys.”

“Tae, Jimin is the size of a peanut and Jungkook is a year younger that you all how did they do anything?”

“Well they might have used your name and Hobi hyungs and Namjoon hyungs” Taehyung said smiling slightly and rubbing the back of his neck.

“You sly little rats. Always using your older brothers to get out of things.”

“Hyung you’re all in college, you’re big so you’re my only actual threat.”

“Whatever, as long you all don’t get into actual trouble. I was reading do you want to read with me?”

“Yes” Taehyung exclaimed “I can show you my dinosaur book”. He jumped off the counter and ran to the living room where he left his bag. He grabbed his bag and ran to Yoongis room. Yoongi soon appeared with cookies and chocolate milk. He saw Taehyung sitting cross legged on the floor still in his uniform and shoes. Yoongi shook his head.

“Taehyung go change your clothes or I’ll eat all the Oreos.”

“But hyung,” He whined. “I’m reading.”

“Then I guess I’ll eat them all...” Yoongi said putting the first one up to his mouth. Taehyung shot off the ground and ran past Yoongi into his own room to change his clothes. He came out wearing shorts and alien themes t-shirt and his purple polka dotted socks.

“Hyung I’m back, now you can’t eat my cookies.” Taehyung said as he settled on the floor near Yoongi and picked up his book again.

The brothers sat side-by-side reading their respective books and occasionally eating the cookies. The only sound heard through the room was the sound of munching and chewing. Reading was the only time when Taehyung kept quiet otherwise he was always full of energy and was always talking at 20 miles per hour; even when he slept Taehyung would talk. Though many people found his inability to shut up annoying, Yoongi thought it was cute and he could listen to Taehyung talk for hours without getting bored. Yoongi knew that Taehyung had a lot of thoughts and he knew that Taehyung had the wildest imagination Yoongi had ever seen in a child.

Yoongi kept the imagination alive by constantly going along with the games, watching cartoons and fantasy movies with him and buying him more and more books. Yoongi saw too many kids nowadays who had no imagination and didn’t have a world of their own so Yoongi made sure he would protect Taehyung's world until Taehyung left it. To Yoongi, his little brother was a little angel who could bring a smile to Yoongi’s face just by being present.

Even though he didn’t talk while he was reading Taehyung's mind was still running everywhere. He would be adventuring with the characters in the book or he would be making up stories of his own with the things he read if the book was an educational book. Taehyung was never bored because his mind was never shut off.

After a while Taehyung got tired but he also really wanted to know what dinosaur was next so he peaked up at his brother.

“Hyung,” Taehyung whined.

“Hmm?” Yoongi asked still half engrossed in his own book.

“Can you read this to me?”

“Tae you know how to read.”

“Ya but I’m tired.”

“Taehyung you’re in the fifth grade.”

“Exactly do you know how tiring that is? I study and then play and then play more. My brain is exhausted hyung please.” Taehyung begged, he had the puppy eyes and pout. He knew Yoongi couldn’t resist it.

“Ugh okay, you’re evil. You use your cuteness to your advantage.” Yoongi said as he marked his page and closed his own book.

“Yah hyung I’m not cute.”

“Sure kid, give me your book.”

Taehyung handed Yoongi his book and leaned against the bed frame while Yoongi read to him about dinosaurs. Taehyung loved Yoongi’s voice, Taehyung loved Yoongi. He thought that Yoongi was the best brother in the world, sure Namjoon and Hoseok were good brothers to Jimin and Jungkook but Yoongi was the best. Taehyung knew that Yoongi would cancel on going out with his friends some times when Taehyung asked Yoongi to play with him.

Taehyung loved that his brother bought all the books he wanted and even ones he didn’t know he wanted. Yoongi taught Taehyung everything, he taught Taehyung how to ride a bike, how to skateboard, how to tie a tie. Yoongi taught Taehyung how to do math, how to rap and even how to talk to girls but he wasn’t very good at the latter ones yet.

Yoongi was the first person to hear about Taehyung plans and ideas and Yoongi was the first person Taehyung went to when he was sad. Yoongi was Taehyung’s savior, protector, best friend and most importantly he was his older brother.

 

As Yoongi kept reading Taehyung eventually fell asleep and Yoongi only noticed when he realized that the random ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ had stopped. Yoongi looked up and smiled at the sight. Taehyung’s head was drooping and he was asleep, snoring lightly. Yoongi closed the book and got up; he walked over to Taehyung and picked him up. He carried Taehyung into his own room and laid him down on the bed. Yoongi tucked him in and left, stopping at the door when he heard Taehyung start talking in his sleep again.

“You’re the best hyung, hyung. I’ll take you with me to see the dinosaurs.”

Yoongi smiled.

“I love you too Tae.”