1/2

The Prince, The Cat and the Unicorn

Part the First

 

Prince Kyungsoo and his brothers lived in the tiny, comfortable kingdom of Madina, where nothing never quite seemed to go that way that it should. The castle garden grew quite lovely dandelions, but refused to grow plump roses the color of blood or deadly nightshade. The magic carpet attracted an unfortunate amount of moths, and King Yunho’s prized seven-league boots really only ever went four-and-a-half leagues.

Of course, there were compensations. None of the fairies in the area lived close enough to come to all of the Princes’ christenings (though they were all carefully invited), and they were too far from the mountains that no dragons ever thought to steal a prince or even a goat (the closest one, named Yifan, was quite happy enough in his cave with his gold taken from the next kingdom over). The King’s second queen was neither wicked nor an ogre; instead, he was a beautiful man with a warm smile who was quite fond of his stepsons. 

The King’s councillors, however happy the kingdom and the royal family seemed to be, complained bitterly about the situation. They felt it to be quite beneath their dignity to run a kingdom where everything seemed to go awry. They grumbled about the kind and elderly frost giant that was invited to the castle during the hottest parts of the summer and that it was quite unnecessary to employ shifty dwarves that only offered their services for a first born. What they found most distressing, however, were the Queen and the three princes inability to do as they should.

Kyungsoo was the middle prince, and as far as the King’s councillors were concerned, the most unsatisfactory one of them all. His eyes were not the deep chocolate filled with wisdom like his older brother Suho’s, nor was his hair golden and bright like his younger brother Sehun’s. His eyes were a simple brown, his hair a simple black, and his “determined” chin was offset completely by his owl-like eyes that gave him a perpetually surprised look. He was also rather short, and his nose had an appalling tendency to freckle. 

“It’s all very well for the middle child to be ordinary,” the chief of the King’s Councillors told him, exasperated. “But this is going too far!”

“It was only the second-best teapot,” said Kyungsoo, who had just accidentally dropped it. “And I already apologized!”

“If only you would pay attention to your duties,” bemoaned the Councillor. “Things like this simply would not happen!”

“I dusted under the throne this morning,” said Kyungsoo indignantly, “and it’s Suho’s turn to polish father’s crown.”

“Those are not the duties I am speaking of!” snapped the Councillor.” “I mean the duties of your position! Such you and Prince Sehun. The both of you should be jealous of Prince Suho, even frightfully so. But are you? No! You won’t even give it a chance.”

“Well I should think not,” said Kyungsoo, his eyes widening in shock. “Why ever would I be jealous of Suho?”

“He’s beautiful and accomplished and your father’s heir and- and- and the younger Princes are supposed to be jealous of the oldest sibling. They’re supposed to be at least rude to them!”

“No one could dislike Suho,” said Kyungsoo. “And besides, Father and Papa wouldn’t like it.” The Councillor sighed, rubbing the furrows between his eyebrows. “Could you at the very least plot with Prince Sehun to steal a magic ring?” he pleaded. “Just for form’s sake?”

“No, absolutely not,” said Kyungsoo firmly, and the poor tortured Councillor flung his hands up in disbelief.

It was not the last time the councillors badgered and pestered poor Kyungsoo until he simply could not bear it any longer. He finally went to the Queen to complain.

“Hmmph,” huffed Queen Jaejoong, rolling his eyes. “They are being quite ridiculous, as usual. I could have your father talk to them?”

“It wouldn’t do any good,” said Kyungsoo gloomily, leaning into Jaejoong’s hand as it began to soothingly run through his hair.

“You’re probably right,” sighed Jaejoong, and they sat for a moment in comfortable silence.

“I wish I could run off and seek my fortune,” said Kyungsoo, looking out the window and resting his chin on his hand. The ruling green hills of their kingdom gently gave way to the forest, a mysterious expanse that had given the kingdom little trouble (a fact the council has always bemoaned).

Jaejoong suddenly straightened, a bright smile stretching across his face. “Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?”

“But I’m the middle prince,” said Kyungsoo. “It’s the eldest princes who go off to seek their fortunes.”

“Oh hogwash,” said Jaejoong dismissively. “You’ve been listening to those councillors too much. Ahh, they won’t like this of course… but I suppose it’ll be good for them.” Jaejoong was not at all fond of the councillors, who were constantly trying to persuade him to kick the princes out of the kingdom when Yunho was away or to turn them into animals.

“It would be fun to try,” said Kyungsoo wistfully. He had always like the idea of running off to seek his fortune, even if most of the stories did make it seem rather dangerous.

“It’s the perfect solution,” Jaejoong assured him, bouncing a bit as he began to plot. “I’ll arrange with your father to leave the west gate unlocked tomorrow night so you can slip out. Suho and Sehun can help you pack. And I’ll write you a reference to Queen Leeteuk three kingdoms over. You should be able to find a nice job as a kitchen aid. We won’t tell the councillors a thing until you are well one your way.”

To Kyungsoo’s surprise, the entire family was positively exhilarated about the entire scheme. Suho and Sehun had a long, enthusiastic argument about what Kyungsoo should carry in his little pack. The King kissed his forehead and told him he hoped he would give the councillors a pleasant little . And the Queen even offered the ring he had worn when he was a young prince going off on adventures to Kyungsoo. Unfortunately, it had turned out to have been swallowed by the castle cat, so Kyungsoo couldn’t take it with him after all. “It’s the thought that counts,” he assured the pouting queen when they had been unable to find it. By the time Kyungsoo slipped out of the back door and set off through the gardens, he was positively thrilled to be getting away.

As he tiptoed across the drawbridge (all of the guards had turned a blind eye to the ‘escaping’ prince, amused), Kyungsoo stepped on something that gave a startled yowl. He jumped and pulled away, hoping none of the councillors had heard the racket. He could just make out the shape of the castle cat, staring at him with as a dirty a look as a cat could manage.

“Shh!” he said, biting his lip. “Poor kitty! Shhh, I’m so sorry!”

“Well, you should be,” said the cat crossly, startling the prince. “How would you like to have your tail stepped on?”

“I don’t have a tail,” said the stunned Kyungsoo. “And if you hadn’t been lying about in front of me, I would have stepped on you.”

“Cat’s privilege,” sniffed the cat, at his mussed tail.

“Well,” I’m very sorry,” said Kyungsoo, standing and giving the cat a shrug. “”But I must be going.”

“I don’t know how you plan to to get anywhere when you can’t see where you’re going,” said  the cat, giving up on straighten out his tail.

“I most certainly won’t get anywhere waiting for the sun to rise,” said Kyungsoo irritably. “Or do you have any other inane suggestions?”

“I could lead you,” the cat replied, and then added smugly, “I can see in the dark.”

“Oh very well,” said Kyungsoo, and the cat jumped into his waiting arms. “I need to get to King Kangin and Queen Leeteuk’s kingdom.”

“That way little prince,” said the cat, and Kyungsoo started walking.

“How is it you can talk?” asked Kyungsoo, as he made his way around Miss Taeyeon’s Daffodil garden. “You never had before.”

“I think it was the Queen’s ring that I swallowed yesterday,” said the cat. He sounded uneasy, as if he were too uncomfortable to discuss the matter. Kyungsoo politely did not press farther and changed the subject. They chatted comfortably about the castle guards (and how Lieutenant Chanyeol was clearly trying and failing to woo the tailor’s apprentice, Baekhyun) and the King’s councillors as they walked, and every so often the cat would paw at Kyungsoo’s face and direct him one way or the other. Finally, the cat announced that they had come far enough for one night, and settled in a hollow. 

When Kyungsoo awoke late the next morning, the first thing he noticed were the trees. They were huge; the smallest branches were easily twice the size of his waist, and he couldn’t even begin to imagine wrapping his arms around the trunks. The ground was covered in moss and the little flowers dotting the trees and bushes looked like faces. Kyungsoo glanced around for the cat and found him laying in a nearby sun patch, head resting comfortably on his front paws and staring at her.

“This is the Enchanted Forest, isn’t it?” said Kyungsoo accusingly.

“Right the first time, little prince,” said the cat.

Kyungsoo frowned. He knew enough about the Enchanted Forest to be very wary of wandering around in it. It lay just west of Madina, and the castle had permanently mislaid at least two knights and a woodcutter who had carelessly wandered too far in that direction. The Enchanted Forest was a place that was all too easy to wander into, but quite impossible to get out of again.

“But I was supposed to go to Queen Leeteuk!” sputtered Kyungsoo at last.

“You wouldn’t have liked Leeteuk at all,” said the cat seriously. “He’s bossy and has a bad-tempered son to provide for. He’d be worse than the King’s chief Councillor, in fact.”

“I don’t believe you,” said Kyungsoo. “Papa wouldn’t have sent me to a person like that.”

“Your stepfather hasn’t seen Leeteuk since they were at school together some twenty years ago,” said the cat, standing and stretching his back. “You’re much better seeking adventure here, trust me.”

Kyungsoo was quite annoyed, but it was much too late to do much about the situation. So he picked up his pack and set off in search of something to eat, leaving the cat to wash himself. After a little while, he finally found a bushel with bright yellow berries. They looked quite delicious despite the unusual color and he began to pick a few for breakfast.

“I wouldn’t eat those if I were you,” said the cat.

“Where did you come from?” asked Kyungsoo crossly.

“I followed you,” answered the cat. “And those will turn you into a goat if you chew them.”

Kyungsoo hastily dropped the berries he was holding and wiped his hand on his pants. “Thank you for warning me,” he said. “But I don't suppose you know of anything around her I could eat? Or at least drink? I’m quite thirsty.”

“There’s a pool this way,” said the cat, his tail flicking behind him. “Follow me.”

The cat led him through the trees in a winding route that Kyungsoo was sure would bring them right bak to where they’d started. He was about to say as much when he came around the root of a tree into a moss lined hollow. Green light filtered though the canopy of leaves onto the dark moss. A ring of star-shaped lavender flowers surrounded a still and silent mirror-dark pool of water, crystal clear and reflecting the light in gentle shimmers.

“How lovely,” whispered Kyungsoo, gingerly stepping through.

“I thought you were thirsty,” said the cat, his tail twitching nervously as he spoke.

“I am,” said Kyungsoo. “But… oh, never mind.” He knelt down beside the pool and scooped up a little of the water in his cupped hands.

“Who steals water from the unicorn’s pool?” demanded a soft voice. Kyungsoo startled, spilling water down the front of his tunic. He sighed in contempt, lips downturning into a frown. 

“Now look what you made me do!” he said, shaking the wool lightly. It was going to smell like sheep, he just knew it.

As he spoke, he looked up, expecting to see the person he’d spoken to. There was no one there, but the chiming voice spoke again, its tone stern. “Who steals water from the unicorn’s pool?”

Kyungsoo wiped his hands on the dry portion of his pants and cast a reproachful look at the cat. “I’m Kyungsoo, middle prince of Madina, and I’m quite thirsty.,” he said as pompously as he could. “So if you don’t mind-“

“A prince?” said the voice. “Really! Usually it is princesses I wait for, but you’ll do I suppose. Let me get a look at you.”

A breath of air, scented with violets and cinnamon, brushed against Kyungsoo’s face before a horn, coat and mane as white as snow stepped delicately out of the woods.. It halted on the other side of the pool and stood poised, its head raised  to display the sharp, shining ivory horn, its mane  flowing in perfect waves along its neck. A unicorn.