Chapter 16

Goldfish

"Holy mama..." I immediately shoved her leg up which caught her by surprise as the crowd burst into the cafeteria.

She gave me a death stare and I returned the favour.

Luckily the crowd were all obssessed in getting food for themselves to notice us. I ducked aside as they stomped their way towards me while the machines started operating, making and packing the food at godlike speed.

"Stay up there!" I looked up and muttered through my teeth.

She gave a quick pout and covered the airvent as softly as she could before retreating into the darkness.

'Ok now that Jessica is stuck up there again, we would have to get an additional portion of food,' I thought as I searched around for the rest only to find Yoona right behind me holding a tray with two bowls of bibimbap .

"I got an extra bowl for you!" she chirped, "it looks really delicious for the food to be cooked by machines."

"Thanks. What about Jessica?" I asked.

"Oh no, we all have forgotten about her!" formed a small 'O' as she acted surprised.

"Yoona..." I chuckled and patted her head even though my height proved to be quite an obstacle.

"She has been stuck here for two hours," I took an empty bowl from the side and split my meal into two bowls, "I'll be nice and share it with her."

 After we had finished our meal, we headed towards the curly wurly staircase to discuss our escape plan as nobody, not even the gamemasters had given up hopes about escaping or anyone escaping through the stairs. And since we knew that Tiffany and the rest could provide more information about this place, we had a higher chance of escaping. But the problem we faced was to meet her without getting caught as there would be other gamemasters patrolling too.

After a seemingly long discussion, we decided to select a person to seek contact with Tiffany. Mrs Kester and Hyeyeon were obviously out of the question so it would be one of us.

"Let me do it, I'm the smartest here," Sooyoung raised her hand, "I'll be able to get through safely."

"No! You're too tall! It would be easy to spot you," Sunny argued, "let me go! I'm short AND smart."

Everyone started arguing to volunteer themselves, nobody was willing to put their best friends in danger but no one wanted to back down. Soon, the heated discussion turned into an argument, the noise grew louder and this might attract any unwanted attention. 

"OKAY GUYS!" I raised my voice just loud enough for them to hear.

"Let's draw lots to be fair," I announced in a softer voice.

I found an old receipt in my pocket and tore them into five piece. We couldn't find a pen so I rubbed a piece on the floor to mark it with dirt before crumpling them into little balls. The one who took that piece would be the chosen one.

"Here, everyone choose one," I held out my open hand to them and they all took one grumpily.

"It's gonna be me," Sunny said as she unfolded the crumpled paper ball but it turned out to be otherwise.

"Hah! My turn!" Sooyoung quickly unfolded hers but once again, the chosen one wasn't her too.

Yoona and Yuri looked at each other before unfolding it together. They gazed down at their pieces before peering at each other's piece.

Anxiety was written all over their faces. Is one of them chosen? Or none? Then I would be the chosen one.