Six

Matches

 

 

Jimin rolled over his bed again, basking in the warm sunlight streaming from his blinds. Saturday sun. What bliss. The birds were chirping, the trees were blooming, and Seokjin was screaming from his phone.

 

“YAH, PARK JIMIN I DIDN’T BEG THE CHIEF TO ACCEPT YOUR SORRY TO BECOME A DOCTOR JUST SO YOU COULD SKIP WORK AND LEAVE ME TO DROWN UNDER THE STUPID STRESS I HAVE TO GO THROUGH AROUND HERE! GOD, YOU UNGRATEFUL PUNK, WHO RAISED YOU THIS WAY ‘CAUSE I’M PRETTY SURE I DIDN’T-” Jimin sighed as Seokjin continued to ramble about how lightly the younger was taking everything, when clearly he cared about his job very much. Saturday sleep was just a bit more important.

 

“Ugh, hyung, fine, fine i’m coming. G-give me,” he yawned, “fifteen minutes.”

 

Seokjin’s voice crackled on the other line, probably fumbling with his clipboard as he switched the phone to his other side; trapping it between his ear and shoulder. “Yah, kid, hurry up. You’re lucky Chief didn’t notice yet, but I think he’s catching onto you. It’s three strikes and you’re out, but how many times has it been?”

 

“Hyung, do you want me to buy you some donuts along the way?”

 

There was a strong silence coming from the other end before Jimin received a somber answer.

 

“Yes.”

 

Of course. “M’kay, i’ll see you in fifteen.”

 

“Since when did I let you speak so casually to me, kid-”

 

Jimin ended the call and trudged to his bathroom, where he gazed at his reflection sullenly. I wonder where my soulmate is right now. . . I wonder what they’re doing. Would they be working? Still asleep? What if they’re young and getting ready for school? God, if I end up with someone younger and taller than me. . . Jimin smiled to himself.

 

 Around. . . sixteen months? It would be almost a year and a half that he had to wait for his 21st birthday, and each day brought him closer to the person he would be with for the rest of his life. He remembers drawing many pictures as a child with crayons; pictures of him and a wide variety of possible soulmates; girls, boys, tall, short, thin, fat, blue-eyed, green haired, tattooed, timid, loud, blushing, clumsy, loving. Loving. That’s all he really hoped for in a soulmate. Someone who knew when to care and what to care for.

 

He buttoned up a white shirt with blue leaf-like patterns on his shoulder, and hummed as he raked a hand through his hair and grabbed his shoulder bag.The walk to the bus stop was still new to him, but he grinned under the warm sunlight and smiled at passerbys who spared a glance at him through their busy schedules. Everyone seemed to be rushing to places in their ironed suits and shined shoes; a gruff maturity woven into their eyes that Jimin seemed to lack.

 

Yet as his eyes glazed over the crowd, he seemed to have missed a certain blond riding a bike loaded with three books in the basket - making his way down main street and speeding in and out of slow cars in leisure, not a care for the world.

 

Instead, Jimin patiently sat at the bus stop and watched people go by in haste, remembering to stop by at the nearby cafe for coffee and donuts for his hyung later. Sometimes, only food was the key to shut up Seokjin’s constant nagging and yelling - even if Jimin was used to it by now. He’d known Seokjin from medical school where he was his faithful sunbae and friend; exempting the continuous reminders and reprimands he received every day through unnecessary lectures and pointless yelling. But he was always the one who helped Jimin until 3 in the morning with studying and preparation, who had always been the guiding hand who knowingly pulled Jimin throughout medical college and his tough adult transitions until Seokjin had to graduate.

 

And with Seokjin, came a price. Well, more like a present: Jeon Jungkook.

 

In Seokjin’s eyes, he was not just the adorable kid next door, but a strong and reliable man, a cute and diligent worker, and his wonderful and most prized son. He practically hogged Jungkook from the younger’s parents every time he had the chance to see him, which was becoming less often as they grew older. Nonetheless, the two were friends (*cough* family) since the day Jungkook moved in next to the Kims when he was an awkward and sweaty fifteen year old. But even for his age, he was still young, pure, and innocent - or so Seokjin thought.

 

Jimin knew better. Well, at least, he assumed better since there was that suspicious glint in Jungkook’s eyes whenever he would glance around or look up from whatever he was doing on his phone. His warm smiles were purely genuine, though. That, Jimin could gush at.

 

Lately, ever since Seokjin dragged Jimin and Jungkook to his house during college years, the three would hang around and fool around; Jimin being split between the two’s characteristics. He may have been the newbie, But he acted like a glue that tied the three together even more so.

 

That meant a couple of things:

 

  1. Yay they finally found their life-long friends

  2. Yay they won't be alone when they get depressed and drink and get dependent when they become trash

  3. Boo they have to be dragged by each other to places to spy on people or look stupid in public

 

The last one was becoming more frequent. Just last Sunday, Jungkook had pulled his hyungs to the park behind a water fountain to spy on Kwon Jiyong - his old sunbae from high school and most admired idol. Why Jungkook was so star-struck over him, Jimin didn't know, but it always gave him a heart attack when Jiyong would glance their way and they’d almost been caught. Jungkook would have been caught long ago if it weren't for Seokjin’s cautious hands firmly pulling him back to land on his . It was a big water fountain. Jimin also didn't know why someone would place a fancy marble water fountain next to a sweaty, testosteronized basketball court. He hoped no one bathed in the water for “refreshment”. He liked to dip his hands in them.

 

As Jimin casually walked into the hospital with a tray holding two cups of coffee and a box of donuts, he rolled his eyes at Seokjin’s loud clamoring and yelling pointed in his direction.

 

“JIMIN! GOD, CHIEF HAD BEEN UP MY BACK ABOUT ME LETTING THE INTERNS LOOSE! IT’S NOT EVEN MY FAULT, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?! DEAR LORD, I’M GOING TO POP A VEIN ONE OF THESE DAYS FROM THE STRESS YOU KIDS GIVE ME, YOU HEAR? I CAN'T TOLERATE THIS NONSENSE ANYMORE IF IT MEANS THAT IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN EVEN FRICKIN’ WEEK!”

 

“Seokjin, have a donut.” Jimin opened the box and passed him a chocolate glazed donut with a napkin.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you're not you when you're hungry.”

 

Seokjin scoffed. “God, who even let you. . . what-what did I even, aissh!” He snatched the donut and gave Jimin one last forced glare before he took a large bite and turned to walk away.

 

“You forgot your coffee!”

 

Seokjin grumbled during the two steps back to snatch his cup, and scrunched his nose before stomping off like a child. “You better come on time from now on.”

 

“But then you won't get free donuts,” Jimin called back. He heard more grumbling coming from the elder and laughed when he turned around again, stomped back to Jimin, handed him the bitten donut, and took the box with him before sauntering off.

 

Jimin followed behind with a laugh.