No Eul: Reconciliation pt. 2

Parallel Universes
Please log in to read the full chapter

No Eul sat in the passenger seat of Joon Young’s car, looking out the window. At least that’s what it looked like she was doing. In reality, she was using the reflective surface to watch Joon Young without being caught.

 

She saw him glance over at her for the millionth time and couldn’t resist teasing him.

 

“I’m so pretty! You can’t keep your eyes off of me!”

 

“No way! I’m amazed at how ugly you are!” Joon Young snarked back.

 

“Nope! I’m definitely dazzling you right now!”

 

No Eul laughed at the look on his face and then asked:

 

“So where are we going anyway?”

 

Joon Young just tossed a smile in her direction and kept driving.

 

When they reached the night market, No Eul laughed aloud. Hot shot prosecutor Joon Young chose a place like this for a first date?

 

She was not the type of girl to prefer the standard date fare. Flowers, candles and romantic atmosphere made the time spent together seem more like work and less enjoyable. Joon Young already knew that about her and chose his location according to her tastes. But still she wondered what the girls at the courthouse would think if they saw their precious prosecutor haggling with an ahjumma over squid.

 

Joon Young and No Eul strolled through the stalls hand in hand. They talked and played as they wandered around, taking turns trying to haggle with the stall owners as they gathered the ingredients they would need for dinner.

 

To those around them, they looked like a newly-wed couple; their antics similar to a couple on their honeymoon. Just watching drew smiles from the older generation as they remembered their own youth.

 

As the night market drew to a close, No Eul and Joon Young took their spoils and went to the car.

 

They had decided to go back to Joon Young’s house to make dinner. Though No Eul had offered to do the work, Joon Young had insisted on cooking. No Eul supposed he hadn’t forgotten the time she’d tried to make him food in high school.

 

Somehow, she had mixed up the salt and sugar measurements and ended up making something unpalatable. Joon Young stoically ate it all but when he snuck off to go brush his teeth, No Eul had finally tried a bite of her own concoction and nearly choked.

 

When Joon Young came back to the table and started eating it again, No Eul was flabbergasted. It took her a few seconds to register what was going on before she’d snatched the plate back and dumped the food in the trash.

 

--------------------------

 

 They soon established a routine for seeing each other during the week.

 

On days that Joon Young had no early cases, he would come pick No Eul up and drop her off at work. If they got off work at the same time, he would pick her up and they’d go to the market to get ingredients for dinner.

 

When No Eul came home from their date that first night, she had been on cloud nine. Na Ri was sitting on the couch watching a re-run of Running Man. She saw No Eul’s face and muttered: “It’s about time.”

 

No Eul just floated off to her room.

 

---------------------------------------

 

These days, No Eul spent a lot of time at Joon Young’s house. Even if he had to work while he was at home, she still enjoyed it there.

 

That afternoon, she was painting a sign to add to Pororo’s doghouse. Joon Young had gotten caught up in a phone call about a recent case of his so he was inside the house working on it.

 

Humming as she worked, No Eul had an idea.

 

With a mischievous smile, she dipped the paintbrush into the green paint in front of her and then proceeded to sneak her way into Joon Young’s house.

 

A

Please log in to read the full chapter