Fin

Why Can't You See Me?

“This is how I feel. If I’m stuck between choosing between being a close friend or a lover, I would want to continue to have this close relationship.”

 

Those were all the words Wheein needed to hear before her heart shattered. She could never ever confess.

 

Hyejin warned her not to watch it, pleaded her not to watch it, begged her not to watch it, but she couldn’t resist. Hyejin only wanted to protect her.

 

“What do I do?” Wheein sobbed silently into Hyejin’s shoulder.

 

“Give up on her,” Hyejin patted Wheein’s back while pulling her closer in her embrace, “ I know it’s hard but you have to.”

 

“But what if I don’t want to?”

 

-

 

Hyejin was always fierce, confidence, and talented. The combination of three made her hard to approach and easily ostracized.

 

Good, if they’re too scared of me to approach me, then they don’t deserve to be my friend.

 

That was until that fateful day of encountering Jung Wheein.

 

The beautiful black haired dimpled goddess Wheein was the opposite of her, the social butterfly. Effortlessly making conversation and friends wherever she went. So Hyejin was very much in shock to find the dimpled girl’s head poking from the other side of the textbook.

 

“Hi! My name is Jung Wheein! I noticed you were here by yourself and wondered if you wanted to be friends? What’s your name?”

 

“We are at a library. Please don’t talk to me,” Hyejin said while looking back to her book.

 

“Sorry if I bothered you, maybe we can hang out after you’re done reading.”

 

“Look, if this is bet among your friends to see if you can get me to talk to you, it worked. Now go back to them and claim your prize.”

 

Wheein frowned at the comment, “What do you mean? There is no bet. I just wanted to talk to you.”

 

Hyejin looked up from her textbook unamused, “Look puppy. I know who you are so spare me the lies, there is no way you came because ‘you just wanted to talk me’. Now if you could just leave me alone.”

 

Wheein suddenly erupted in laughter, causing her to be shushed by the librarian.

 

“Leave before you get me kicked out too,” Hyejin hissed.

 

“Sorry,” Wheein said while still trying to suppress her laugh, “I can’t believe you called me a puppy.”

 

“Scram.”

 

“Only if you tell me your name.”

 

“Ahn Hyejin, now leave me alone.”

 

“Well Ahn Hyejin-ssi, I assure you this is not a bet. Since you did tell me your name, I’ll be leaving now, but I’ll be back tomorrow! I promise!”

 

“Yeah, sure. Whatever.”

 

And Wheein kept her promise, without fail for the remainder of their middle school school days.

 

-

 

Hyejin knew, she always knew, she loved Wheein, more than just a friend. But it wasn’t till much later she admitted it.

 

When the two small-towned Jeonju girls first entered the city, they only had each other and that’s all they needed. The pressure from family telling them to come home along with the hardships of the intense training, the two girls were closer than ever, more reliant on each other than ever.

 

Wheein was always grateful for Hyejin, in the way the latter would cook for her when she forgot a meal, the way the latter took care of her when she fell ill, the way the latter would comfort her when she was feeling down. Hyejin was the sister she never had.

 

Hyejin was always grateful for Wheein, but in a different way. Since Hyejin took care of most of the basic necessities, Wheein provided the greatest aid in emotional support. Behind her tough demeanor, Hyejin was not that strong, often breaking down when the company yelled at her for not dieting, when she got the dance moves wrong, when she sang the wrong note; but never in front of anyone but Wheein. Wheein was the only one who got to see the weaker side of her and took care of her at her lowest.

 

-

 

Hyejin didn’t know when she started losing Wheein to Byulie unnie, but there was nothing she could do.

 

There were subtle hints when they first debuted, how Wheein would have late night chats with Byulie-unnie, how Wheein would go to her for advice, how goddamn greasy the older was was. Hyejin couldn’t say anything, she didn’t want to be the green-eyed monster in front of Wheein. However, Hyejin still remained Wheein’s main support pillar for anything.

 

“Hey do you think Byulie unnie would like this?”

“Byulie unnie got this for me! What do you think?”

“Why do you think Byulie unnie flirts so much?”

.

.

.

.

“Hey Hyejin, I think I’m in love with Byulie unnie.”

 

Hyejin didn’t move, she didn’t breathe, time seemed to be going so slowly as her heart shattered into a million pieces.

 

“Hey Hyejin, did ya hear me?” Wheein asked while waving her hand in front of the latter who seemed to be in a daze.

 

Hyejin nodded and did her best to respond in a calm manner, “Yeah I heard you, I’m just thinking.”

 

“So what do you think I should do?”

 

“You should confess.”

I should’ve confessed.

 

“Just tell her how you feel”

I should’ve told you how I felt.

 

Why can’t you see me?

 

A/N: Hey y'all, thanks for reading. For those of you following my other story, "You Don't Owe Her Anything", sorry for the lack of udpates! I've been having writers block and school just started :C But hope you guys enjoy this one shot. I started writing this after I watched that moonsun v-app and originally wanted it to be wheebyul, but as I wrote more of it, it sorta just became this sad mush. Comments and suggestions are welcome!