What Is Love?

By the Light of the Sea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love is the very difficult understanding that something other than yourself is real.

 

 

The sun disappeared over the horizen slowly, casting it's last rays out over the city of Atlantis and painting the sky and water with pink and gold hues, yet no one noticed. A mass of people gathered at the docks where merchants would be set up, the shouts of the crowd calling out prices and wares, and yet this night there was silence. Occasionally a child would cry out, or whisper a question, and yet their parents would quickly hush them and turn their attention back toward the city.

A breathtaking golden city, crafted by hands experienced with pulling magic from the very air to twist into forms useable by human hands. It was a city of science and wealth, of knowledge and sanctuary, yet after tonight, it would become a tomb.

Princess Jessica's footsteps were swift as she made her way toward the dock, the people parting around her without a whisper of sound. A small child reached out as if to catch her shimmering teal dress, but the woman beside the young one caught their hand before they could make contact. She then looked up, catching Jessica's eye, and gave her a grim nod as the princess passed.

They knew. 

It should be a point of pride within Jessica that her people were not clamoring to be the one's on the few ships at their docks, that there were no murders nor mutinies within the Atlanteans, and yet all she could feel was an oppressive pain. Most of these people, her people, would die, and it was all her fault.

She realized belatedly that her hands had balled into fists, belying her tension, and she focrefully pushed the outward show of emotion away. Her people didn't need to see their princess's worries; she needed to be strong for them. Even when she wanted to break down and cry, she had to be strong.

At the end of the dock a tall figure stood, turning toward her as she approached and reaching out a hand as if to catch her arm. He realized his indiscretion, though, and let his hand fall before touching her, as propiety directed. "Your majesty," the Captain bowed, his full lips pulled down in a worried frown that she wished she could soothe away with kisses.

"Yunho," she greeted quietly, trying not to let her feelings for him show in her voice. There were people around them, they would hear the love there and they would know, and Jessica couldn't afford to tell them the truth at this moment. They must have faith in their King and his daughters, or all would be lost. It was known amongst their priests that for the eldest daughter to shun her calling would be the doom of their people, and if they knew what she had done, then they would no longer follow her directives.

"This is my fault," she said softly as she stepped closer to the tall man, tipping her head upward so that he would be the only one to hear the words. Had she only kept her distance, had she held to what her position demanded of her, her people would be safe.

Anger flashed in Yunho's eyes, and once again he had to stop himself from graspng her shoulder. "No," he said, fierce yet quiet, following her lead as he always did when they were in public. "It is not your fault! How could this be?"

"The gods-"

"The gods be damned," he growled, a bit too loud because the people nearest the tall man drew back with surprise on their faces. Atlanteans were nothing if not devout, and Jessica heaved a sigh before motioning for him to follow her up the gangplank of the ship. 

There were only three ships in the water there, all of which had been from Atlantean merchants who had been at the island when the trembling of the earth began four days ago. Ironic, that when other countries pled for aid, her people were there with open arms, and yet when Atlantis was in need, there were no extended hands. All they had was a meager three ships, on one of which she now led the tall man into the state room.

As soon as Yunho closed the door behind him, Jessica turned to wrap her arms around his waist and bury her head in his chest. "The priests have foretold it, if I broke my vows then Atlantis would fall!" she cried, letting her resolve break as tears came to her eyes to dampen his uniform. He was dashing as always in the dark clothing, and Jessica spared a moment for thanks that the color wouldn't show her tears.

Now he allowed himself to touch her, his hands coming up to grasp her bare shoulders, but it wasn't' to bring her closer. He pushed her back to arms reach and bent down so he could look her in the eyes. "It was not your fault!" he said sharply, giving her a small shake as if to try and make sure she absorbed his words. "No one knows about you and I. Your father's leading astronomers have declared that it is from the way the world is shifting. It is scientific, Jessica, it's not some gods angry with you for disobeying them."

She knew there was truth in his words, and yet it was hard to deny that this cataclysm was coming in the aftermath of her union with this man. She loved him, though! It just wasn't fair. She didn't ask to be born first, didn't ask to be given the place as the stylized wife of the king of the gods. And yet she worked hard to try and hold to the decorum t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter