Final

About marriage and dogs

Jungkook tries to remember how he got himself into this situation as he takes a look at the smiling man in front of him.

Jimin looks amazing, with his  caramel-brown hair parted in the middle, a baby blue button up and a smile that competes with the sun itself; and Jungkook… well, he’s probably just a mess with  his sweaty palms and even more sweaty armpits. He just hopes his black shirt doesn’t get sweat stains.

It amazes him, he thinks, how Jimin still makes him nervous despite being this their tenth date together, and it hits him he must be really too deep already.

Let’s backtrack, shall we? It all started three months ago, when Jungkook went to pick up his princess from school one afternoon. At first glance she looked a bit upset, Jungkook didn’t manage to make her tell what happened that got his little girl so pouty, but as she kept talking about her first day at school she finally smiled and told his dad she had made a new friend.

“That’s nice, sweetie.” he said with a grin and took a look at Mina from the rear mirror. She was grinning also, her left canine missing and making her look even more cute than usual. Jungkook remembers how excited she was when the tooth finally fell, yelling excitedly and running around the house with it on her tiny hands. “Did you play together all day then?”

“Yes! We built a sandcastle this big!” she explained, opening her short arms widely to show him the size, which was probably an exaggeration. “It was so pretty dad, it had a lot of rooms for the prince and princess to live together because they were secretly ninjas that saved the world, so they need rooms to train their ninja abilities.” 

Jungkook chuckled, happy to see his daughter so excited. She’s usually the quiet type, just like him, and he knows how difficult it is be to make new friends. He had experienced it back then.

“Seojun said he has ninja figurines at his house but that his dad wouldn’t allow him to take them to school so he invited me to his house.”

Jungkook turned around with eyebrows furrowed to look at his daughter when they stopped at a red light. His heart jumped at what she said.

He? It’s a boy your new friend?” he waited for her to nod, the wide grin on her face still present. “And he’s in your class?”

“No, he’s older. Two years.” she said, lifting two fingers of her hand to make more clear her point. It only made Jungkook heart sink lower. An older boy was trying to steal his princess from him already, and she’s only seven. What is going to happen once she gets to high school and becomes even more pretty, with her shinny black and curled hair falling down her shoulders and making every other boy -or girl- turn around to look at her?

“You can’t go.” he said and turned around when the car behind him honked impatiently when he didn’t move when the traffic light turned green. He hit the speed pedal and gripped the steering wheel with more force than intended. He’s gonna protect his daughter from the charm of boys as much as he can.

“Why not?” she whined loudly. Jungkook didn’t need to look at her to know she was fuming, her dark eyebrows furrowed.

“Because you don’t know him. I don’t know him nor anything about his family… “ he tried to reason, but his excuse sounded a bit pathetic, and he hated himself for sounding so much like his mother when she refused to give him permission to do something, using the ‘you can’t because I say so’ card. 

“But he’s really nice! Please…” she begged, exaggerating her pout even more. “He helped me rebuild my sandcastle when some mean girls knocked it down.” she protested with crossed arms. Jungkook spluttered torn between getting mad to those stupid mean kids for hurting his daughter and grateful to Seojun for being a good kid.

“Ok, you can go.” he said, giving in at her puppy eyes as he turned to the right to enter their garage. “But I’m going with you, I want to meet him and his family.” he said. It should have worried him the fact that she smirked when he agreed to come, the grin too suspicious for a seven-year-old.

 

-------------

 

Jungkook followed the male voice of the GPS through the streets until they reached the neighborhood where Seojung lived in. It was pretty, a long street with houses lined one besides the other, small gardens and some dogs barking. It wasn’t extremely fancy, but it was a nice place for kids to run and play.

He slowed down when he got to the right house and dared a look at her daughter when she giggled cutely, excited. Seeing her so happy was making him feel bad for almost not allowing her to come play with the other kid. If Mina liked him, he was probably nice. Right?

He had talked with the kid’s dad the other day through the phone to schedule their meeting and give Jungkook the address, and the other man- Jimin, as he introduced himself- seemed friendly and really polite. His voice was sweet and calming but there was a roughness on the way he talked that made Jungkook imagine him as a buff man, tall and stocky. He wondered if they would get along.

He unbuckled his seatbelt and circled the car to go do the same for Mina, but she had already undone it herself and was already stepping out the car.  The house was like the others, pre-constructed houses tended to be all the same in this kind of neighborhoods, but the garden had cute figurines of dogs sitting and their paws and the porch had tones of plants and flowers. It looked really welcoming and for a second he envied it so much, wishing he was living there instead of in an apartment where Mina didn’t have a backyard to go out and play.

“Be good, ok dad?” Mina said after they rung the doorbell, looking up at him and squeezing his hand. He was about to protest, because it was something he was supposed to say, but then the front door opened and Jungkook was left breathless.

In front of him was the most beautiful man he had ever had the pleasure to see. He was shorter than himself, but his shoulders were wide and his arms were fit, he could see the muscles perfectly since the other was using a short-sleeved polo shirt. He was thin, his waist slim and accentuated by the way the green apron hugged it. There was flour everywhere, even on his brown hair and a bit on his cheek -those rounded cheeks that made him look so young and cute-.

“Hello.” said the man, smiling brightly, his eyes crinkling beautifully and Jungkook had to refrain himself from whining loudly at how beautiful the man was. “You must be Mina and Jungkook, right?”

“Yes!” chirped Mina and tugged at Jungkook’s hand when he didn’t say anything. He snapped out of his stupor and saw Jimin bitting his smiling lips and his eyes looking up and down Jungkook’s body.

“You are shorter than I expected.” Wow, did he just say that out loud?

“What?” Jimin asked confused before pouting, and Jungkook heard Mina exhale loudly at his side. Yes, he had said that out loud and probably offended the other man. What a nice first impression. He was about to respond, try to excuse himself but the call of Mina’s name interrupted him.

“Glad you could come.” said the kid from beside Jimin. Jungkook had been so caught up with the older man he hadn’t noticed the kid was there also. “Come in, let’s go play in my room.” he exclaimed, and before Jungkook could protest because no, you won’t bring my daughter to your room, you ert kid both of them had flew up the stairs and a door was slammed shut.

And that was how Jungkook had been betrayed by his own daughter and was left with a broken heart in front of a beautiful man.

“Uhm, do you want to come in?” asked Jimin, moving to the side to make room for Jungkook to enter. He nodded without any word and shyly entered the house. It was very warm and welcoming, all the house decorated with creme colors and a lot of pictures of Jimin and Seojun. Jungkook took notice of the lack of a partner, no mother nor another father on the pics.

“Sorry for the mess, Seojun wanted to make cookies for Mina.” said Jimin while whipping some dough from the kitchen counter with a rag. “He was really excited about her coming over. He’s a really social kid and likes to make new friends.”

Jungkook smiled as Jimin kept cleaning, his arms bulging graciously in front of his eyes. He wondered if his skin was as soft as it looked like.

“It’s okay, my apartment is always a mess. Mina likes to play but not to clean after herself.” he chuckled. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and approached the other. “Let me help.”

“Oh, no it’s ok you are my guest-“

“I won’t be sitting there awkwardly while you clean all of this by yourself. It will be faster if we both help.” he argued back, snatching the rag out of the other’s hands -cute and small hands-.

They fell silent while cleaning, there was a tense atmosphere surrounding them that Jungkook didn’t know where it came from. He had been squeezing his brain off trying to bring up a topic of conversation, but everything sounded forced and he was horrible at casual chat.

“Do you want a tea?” asked Jimin once they had finished. The shorter took out his apron and hung it behind the kitchen’s door, giving Jungkook the chance to have a better view of his body and his rear. He hummed approvingly unconsciously, but Jimin took as is an affirmative for his question.

He sat on a stool while Jimin worked and then heard a loud laugh coming from upstairs that sounded a lot like Mina. He smiled to himself, happy his daughter was having fun.

“Does Mina do her hair by herself?” asked Jimin, putting a steaming mug of tea on front of Jungkook.

“Uhm, no. Why do you ask?” 

“Her hair was braided so prettily today and I was wondering who did it.” shrugged off Jimin. It was clear it was just a casual topic to talk about, probably Jungkook was making everything uncomfortable by barely opening his mouth to say something and just sitting there oozing at the other like a total ert.

“I learned how to…” he admitted with a blush. “Mina likes long hair and I thought she would like to wear it styled so…” It wasn’t like he was embarrassed for knowing how to brush and style a girl’s hair, but no one had ever noticed nor asked about it, and the fact that Jimin had actually noticed and complimented it had made Jungkook’s heart flutter happily.

“Aw, that’s so sweet of you…” cooed Jimin, gentle smile on his lips. He sat on the stool next to Jungkook and his fingers circled absentmindedly the rim of his mug of tea. “I used to braid my cousin’s hair when we were little and thought I would like to do it if I had a daughter in the future but Seojun won’t let me do it.”

“Mina is pretty exigent.” chuckled Jungkook while shaking his head. “If she’s not satisfied by how I do it it she makes me repeat it countless of times until it’s of her liking, so I guess you are lucky with having a boy with short hair.”

Jimin laughed, covering his mouth with his hand and Jungkook gave himself a pat on the shoulder for it. Jimin was all easy smiles and gentle words with piercing eyes that made Jungkook shudder when they locked on their own. He declared right there he liked the Park family.

 

 

-------------

 

 

“Do you think it’s working?” asked Mina in a whisper. They were huddled on the stairs, complete silence surrounding them as to hear what was going on in the kitchen.

They could hear the adults talking, and sometimes Jimin laughing at something Jungkook had mumbled.

“I think it is… papa usually isn’t that giggly.” said Seojun with hushed words. “I think he likes your dad, did you see how they looked at each other?”

Mina grinned at him and nodded quickly, covering with her hand as to not make a sound.

“I thought dad was going to kiss him right there.” Seojun scrunched his nose in disgust at the mental image of his dad kissing someone on the mouth. That was something he preferred not to witness with his young eyes. “I’m sure they gonna get married soon.”

“They have to go on dates first.” explained Seojun to her, using his knowledge as the older one to show Mina how it all worked. “They need to go on a date or two first to get married. Papa told me you have to know about the other first.”

Mina nodded with slightly opened, listening to him with interest.

“Then we will be brothers, right?” she asked excitedly and he nodded, grabbing her hand on his.

“Yes, I will be your older brother and we will play all day and I will protect you form the bad guys. And maybe we can have a dog.”

“I’ve always wanted a dog!” she said, squeezing his hand back. “But dad always says we have no space for it.”

“If they get married and live here we will have space for a dog.” he said with determination. “We will have to convince them to meet more often so they can have more dates and fall in love.”

The kids snickered happily as they ran upstairs again to go to Seojun’s room and keep playing with his ninja figurines.

 

-------------

 

 

Jungkook observed pleased as Jimin cackled loudly, his body launching forward with teary eyes and a grin so wide they cheeks must be hurting by now. Jungkook wasn’t that funny, he knew, but Jimin seemed to enjoy his lame jokes a lot and laughed as if they were the funniest thing he had ever heard. That gave Jungkook a boost of confidence, to be honest.

They had started sharing fun memories of their kids and somehow it developed to telling embarrassing moments from their childhood or teen years, and Jungkook loved to see the way Jimins eyes disappeared while laughing, how his mouth was capable to form such a beautiful smile, or how pretty his cheeks looked flushed pink.

“Uhm, you have…” said Jungkook, pointing with his finger at his own cheek so Jimin would know where he was looking at. “there is some flour on your cheek.”

“Oh.” said Jimin flushing, using the back of his hand to wipe off his cheek clean, but he had completely missed the spot.

“Here…” mumbled Jungkook, using his fingers to brush off the white powder. He had leaned completely on Jimin’s personal space but he was so distracted by the softness of the other’s face to realize what he was doing.

He lifted his eyes and caught Jimin staring at him also; his brown eyes wandering curiously all the expanse of Jungkook’s face to end up again on his eyes. They were so close, if Jungkook leaned in a bit further he could be kissing the older one, he was already feeling his warm breath against his own skin. But he told himself they had just met and that maybe Jimin was just nice out of politness. Jungkook didn’t know if Jimin was actually into guys.

“Uhm, sorry…” he mumbled, putting more space between them. The other leaned forward a bit, following after Jungkook but stopped himself right after. As if he had just noticed what he was doing.

“It’s ok…” he hurried to assure and Jungkook smirked at that. It was obvious for him then that he wasn’t the only one who was feeling the attraction.

“I think it’s late, maybe we should be going-“

“You can stay for dinner.” mumbled Jimin quickly, bitting his lip right after with a blush spreading on his cheeks. Damn, Jungkook thought, Jimin was so cute and it was difficult for Jungkook to refrain himself.

“I don’t want to be a bother.” said Jungkook. They were still pretty close to each other, they eyes gazing at the other with a glint of interest, of wanting more. Jimin shook his head, saying without words they weren’t of any nuisance and Jungkook smiled again. “Ok, I guess we can stay.”

 

-------------

 

Jungkook left the Park’s house two hours later, with Mina passed out in his arms and feeling happy and content. It had been so long since he had such fun, since he went out with such good company. Jimin was someone he wanted to have by his side more often.

“Thank you for dinner, it was really good.” he said after shutting closed the door of the back seat, where he had just tucked Mina in. 

“It’s no problem. I’m glad you enjoyed the meal…” mumbled Jimin, ducking his head with a shy smile. “You can come over whenever you want- I mean, with Mina, of course.”

Jungkook chuckled and nodded. Both men stayed there looking at each other, wanting to say something else but not daring to. Jungkook liked Jimin and it seemed the other felt the same given the shy glances and flirty eyes. But it had been so long since Jungkook had to seduce someone and he didn’t know if it would be crossing the line to ask the other on a date.

“I had fun tonight…” he mumbled playing with the buckle of his belt. “Thanks for everything…”

Jimin smiled, eyes hopeful and bright and so pretty. Maybe Jungkook was already too deep.

“Me too, hope we can repeat some time…” whispered Jimin taking a step closer to him. Jungkook took one forward also, his eyes focusing on Jimin’s face. “Maybe… you and me only?”

“Are you sure?” questioned Jungkook. He was far from rejecting the other but at their age, with work and kids to deal with it would be hard to give this all a chance.

“Yes- I mean, well unless you have someone else?” said Jimin a bit flustered. 

“No, I don’t have anyone…” he mumbled. “I just… I don’t know. I’ve been out of the dating game for long…”

“Me too.” said Jimin smiling. “When I say I have a kid I scare them away so I stopped going out. But- I don’t know, I had fun tonight with you and Seojun and Mina get a long so well… I thought that maybe- but if you aren’t interested I understand.” he spluttered nervously. Jimin was fidgeting a lot, not looking at Jungkook and it was so cute.

“I felt the same.” interrupted Jungkook, giving the other a gentle smile when Jimin lifted up his eyes to look at him. “I would love to go on a date with you. This Saturday, maybe? For dinner.”

“I know someone who can take care of the kids, you could bring Mina over and then… well, go out.”

“Sounds good to me.”

 

And that was how it had all started. 

Their first date was a bit chaotic, both of them were so nervous they barely talked at first, and maybe Jimin had knocked down his glass of wine and made a mess on the table; and maybe Jungkook had splashed curry sauce on his very white shirt. It had been a mess, but a nice one. They had laughed a lot, it had been so long since they could relax, drink some wine, have a nice meal and not worry about little kids running around. Something had sparkled between them and now they just needed to work to strengthen the flame.

“You really look good today.” says Jimin, his hand resting flat on the surface of the table, his little fingers close to Jungkook’s hand. “Black looks good on you.”

“Th-thanks” Jungkook stutters out awkwardly. One would think that given the amount of time they had been out together Jungkook would be at ease with the other already, but Jimin turned out to be a total tease, flirting non stop and making Jungkook suffer. “I like your shirt also.”

Jimin giggles cutely and reaches his hand for Jungkook’s own that has a firm grip of his glass of wine. Jungkook first instinct was to snatch his hand away the other’s and wipe the sweat off his own with the napkin, but Jimin didn’t seem to mind the dampness of it and even interlocked their fingers.

They had finished eating, and the restaurant is almost empty since the time for closure is near by, but neither of them seem to want to go home, get back to reality and wait for another day to see each other. But they have to eventually, it’s late, and Taehyung had texted Jimin the kids were already bathed and had dinner and the older one doesn’t want to hold Taehyung back longer than what was needed for.

They walk slowly to the car, their hands still joined and they keep them like this until they reach Jimin’s neighborhood. They don’t stop holding hands even when Taehyung lifts an eyebrow at them and gives a smug smirk, telling them the kids could no longer keep his eyes open and felt asleep.

Jimin bids farewell to Taehyung while Jungkook goes upstairs to get Mina but when he enters Seojun’s room he sighs in fondness at the sight in front of him. The two are cuddled in Seojun’s bed, the older one has an open book on his chest that moves up and down as he breathes in and out slowly. He must had fallen asleep while reading a book to Mina.

“Maybe you should let her stay.” mumbles Jimin softly from behind him. Jungkook had been so absorbed by the sight he didn’t notice when the other had come in.

“Yeah, I would feel sorry to wake her up…” he says, turning around to the other after closing the door. “I can come pick her up in the morning.”

“Or you could stay the night.” counters back Jimin swiftly, resting his hands on Jungkook’s chest. The taller in a sharp breath as Jimin keeps moving closer. “If you want of course.”

“I would love to.” he murmurs, finally finding the courage on himself to lean down all the way and capture Jimin’s lips with his own.

Jimin melts into the kiss, sighing as his fingers clutch the fabric of Jungkook’s shirt and the taller one’s hands find their way to Jimin’s waist.

“I’ve wanted this for so long.” breathes out Jimin against Jungkook’s lips. “I thought you would never kiss me.”

“I’m a bit slow.” admits Jungkook with a soft blush. He’s so endeared by the way Jimin’s eyes sparkle within the darkness of the hall. How those eyes look at him with so much adoration and fondness; it makes Jungkook feel so loved and appreciated. “I’m sorry.”

Jimin shakes his head.

“It was worth the wait.” he says and then lifts his chin up for another kiss.

 

The next morning, when the kids wake up they look more than excited to be sitting together while eating breakfast, not even questioning why Mina and Jungkook didn’t go home last night. But both of them do protest loudly when the two adults kiss in front of them.

“I guess we will have to get used to it.” mumbles Seojun as Jungkook hugs Jimin from behind as the older puts another set of bread on the toaster. Jimin giggles, and leans back against Jungkook’s chest with a wide smile.

“Yeah.” she says around a mouthful of food. “But look at it from the bright side, we are more close to get that dog.”

And Seojun nods, agreeing with his sister and also satisfied their plan has worked out.