unforgettable

the adventures of cat!soo

cat!myungsoo and his best friend/owner lee sungyeol. 'nuff said.

 

 


 

 

It takes almost all of whatever strength left that the exhausted cat can muster to push its thin body through the barely accessible gap at the front door. The furball huffs, small puffs of air visible as it catches a breath before scanning the room.

The place is silent, the same pairs of shoes by the doorstep, no signs of a human at home. The heater’s to its lowest setting, a small bowl - usually containing a little bit of milk the cat assumed was left over from the owner’s breakfast – in the exact same spot where it was on the coffee table (he barely managed to leap up without falling) – and still as empty after its contents had been consumed the day before. The realisation that he wasn’t going to get any food that day leaves the feline utterly disappointed; he was really looking forward to the delicious treat especially after the unexpected ‘workout’ from the previous night.

Just the thought of it is enough to make Myungsoo shiver in horror. Who would have known that one could even encounter such an exceptionally crazy cat-obsessed puppy (in a neighbourhood that hasn’t seen the presence of a canine in months) and engage in a sudden chase that took three whole rounds in, out and around the vicinity before eventually ending by sunrise? Not to mention it’s already winter! Crazy dog… I didn’t even do anything, tsk. He stares at the burgundy object in front of him. Well, there goes my breakfast… and lunch and dinner. The furball slumps in disappointment.

Refusing to accept reality, the stubborn creature gets back up on its tiny feet, determined. His eyes are shut tight and he starts walking around the dish as if he’s performing some sort of ritual that would magically fill it with a fresh serving of warm milk to fill the big kitten’s starving little tummy if he just wishes hard enough. Myungsoo wobbles slightly but manages to not fall off the table despite his depleting energy level. Must be a cat thing to be able to keep his balance so well even with his eyes closed. Two rounds and three sneezes later, he dares take a peek at the object only to be disappointed even more than before.

The dish is still cold and empty, little droplets of leftover milk already becoming tiny ice crystals as a result of being left in the cold weather for too long. It’s hopeless. I won’t be able to eat today.

He misses the times he was with his owner - his best friend - always by his side to be with him, love him, feed him, play with him, take care of him and be the best friend he could ever ask for. They had been by each other’s side for as long as they both could remember, until one dark and stormy night a few months back when Myungsoo’s best friend had suddenly ran away from home in a fit of anger after a heated quarrel with his parents. The poor little kitten didn’t know what to do; the only thing on his mind was to be with his best pal no matter what. And so he ran out of the house in the cold pouring rain, hoping to be able to follow the boy wherever was going. Much to his dismay, as the boy began to pedal faster on his bicycle, it wasn’t long before the Myungsoo eventually lost sight of him, leaving the poor tiny furball stranded in the middle of God knows where amidst a thunderstorm and absolutely clueless to the way back home.

The one stormy night that Myungsoo lost his best friend and became a homeless kitten roaming the streets and alleys, sneaking into homes in search for food just so he could stay alive.

Myungsoo shakes his head, willing himself to not think about the past anymore. Too famished and exhausted to find food elsewhere the cat settles for a quick nap to recharge, padding back and curling into a ball beside the heater before succumbing to sleep. Just a little shuteye. I’ll make it out of here before the owner returns.

 

 

Sungyeol doesn’t come home on a Friday night. Hasn’t come home the next morning, either.

It’s only by sundown that he finally gets to call it a week. The weariness and exhaustion he’s felt through the 34-hour workday instantly flies out the window at the announcement that they’re finally done as he rushes to pack his belongings before speeding out the studio’s back exit faster than the director can turn around to thank him for his hard work and bid him goodbye.

Being appointed to fill in as the director’s emergency assistant on-set was the last thing Sungyeol was expecting, especially for an overnight schedule that lasted more than 24 hours right after a really taxing day in the office that largely consisted of him running back and forth various departments attending meeting after meeting after meeting. He’s not complaining, though. If anything, he’s actually loving the fact that he’s been given tasks to do, let alone an opportunity to gain valuable experience. He doesn’t mind how ridiculous some demands may be, it’ll just be another chance for him to learn as much as he can from interning at such a renowned media firm as Infinite Studios. He could definitely use all the field experience he can get from working there to build up his resume before commencing his degree in Film and Media studies in college come this spring.

The door swung open with a loud bang as it collided with the wall, no thanks to an excited Sungyeol who was more than ready to fly home. He couldn’t wait to get out of his uncomfortable work clothes and pamper himself with a nice long bath before slipping into his favourite jammies, a cup of nice hot cocoa in his hands as he watches a movie or two and finally passing out on his soft, fluffy queen-sized bed. Lucky for him, the drive home was exceptionally quick and smooth. What would usually take him 45 minutes to an hour on the road even in good traffic took him barely 30 minutes from his workplace to his front door despite the weekend traffic.

Sungyeol spends the rest of the drive home cruising along the highway, his favourite band’s latest album playing in the background as the sun descends beyond the horizon.

 

 

 

After ensuring his car is parked safely, Sungyeol begins to make his way to his front door as he fumbles through his bag for his house keys, only to stop in his tracks when he finds his front door already ajar. It takes him a moment to recall that he had left home in a rush, forgetting to lock the front door in the process. He steps in quietly and cautiously, bracing himself to fight an intruder should he find one lurking in his home. Thankfully nothing’s gone missing and there’s no sight of any trespasser having entered his place, with the exception of a not-so-little little furball all too familiar to Sungyeol sleeping soundly by his heater. It was a sight he hadn’t seen before.

At least not until the last time he saw his pet kitten, hours before he ran away from home in the middle of the night. When Sungyeol comes back two days later after having calmed down he finds his kitten is missing. It chased after him the night he ran away from home and hadn’t come back ever since, his parents told him. Sungyeol cried for a whole week after that.

The bittersweet memory of the times spent with his favourite companion brings a faint smile on Sungyeol’s face, all the while his sight unable to leave the sleeping creature in front of him. He finally manages to tear his gaze away after a good whole minute, heading towards the living room to begin clearing the day-old mess. Dirty dishes and mugs are brought to the sink in the kitchen, the washing having been decided to be done at a later time so as to not wake the cat from his peaceful slumber.

He moves on to heat up some milk, pouring it in a clean wine-coloured bowl identical to the one in the sink. Walking towards the heater with the bowl in hand, Sungyeol gently places the bowl next to the sleeping feline before going to take his well-deserved bath.

 

 

 

Myungsoo wakes up to the scent of delicious milk all warmed up and in a bowl within his reach. Elated to be waking up to glorious food in front of him, he begins helping himself to the heavenly bowl of sweet white liquid. He almost ends up dipping his entire face into the bowl of milk at the rate he’s devouring it, but he couldn’t care less. In fact, he’s so immersed in consuming every bit of the food in front of him that he’s not even aware of Sungyeol emerging from the corridor after his bath.

Sungyeol notices the cat’s awake, his hunger (he hasn’t had dinner yet) completely forgotten at the sight of the fluffball enjoying his meal. Not yet wanting to make his presence known, he silently approaches the other and crouches a distance away, a warm smile on his face as he observes the cat without making a sound.

Myungsoo finishes up the last bits of milk, making sure to every spot clean before taking a long stretch to conclude the most satisfying meal he’s had in a while. He closes his eyes with a grin and lets out a sigh, relishing the feeling of being so satiated; he doesn’t remember the last time he’s felt this full.

“Are you still hungry? Do you want more?”

The surprised feline jumps in shock at the human’s voice, letting out a loud shriek that startles Sungyeol before making a beeline to hide behind the heater with his wide eyes and perked up ears peeking out from the side. Sungyeol only laughs as he takes in the adorable sight. It doesn’t take Myungsoo long to put the pieces together – he’s been sneaking into Sungyeol’s home all the while to seek temporary shelter and food.

Sungyeol’s, of all places. He couldn’t believe it.

Myungsoo’s eyes widen even more at the realisation, his entire body refusing to move even an inch as if petrified.

Sungyeol’s smile disappears at the sight of the other’s reaction. “Myungsoo? Are you okay?”

He doesn’t get any response.

“Myungsoo?”

“T-this is y-your house?”

Sungyeol nods, slightly confused.

“H-h-how did you know it’s m-me?” The question comes out in more of a whisper.

The man’s smile finds its way back to his face as he lets out a giggle, slightly relieved. “Of course I’d know it’s you. You’re just a little bigger than I expected. And you’re my best friend. I’d recognise you anywhere, even if your fur is blue,” he answers confidently. It’s the truth, anyways.

Best friend. A term the other hasn’t heard in a long while brings tears to his pretty cat eyes.

“S-Sungyeol...” The name is still foreign on Myungsoo’s lips. “Is it really you? I mean... I’m not dreaming, am I?”

The brown-haired man was also on the brink of tears as the realisation sank into him as well. His smile widens as he nods again, not trusting his voice. He opens his arms, an invitation for a hug. The latter hesitates just a little, wondering if this was all just a dream.

“Well? Don’t you want a hug?”

Just being able to hear the voice he’s missed reassures him that everything is real, his best friend is right in front of him again. He runs right into Sungyeol’s arms as he’s captured in a tight hug, relishing the feeling of being in his arms and finally feeling home again.

“I’m sorry,” Sungyeol says, the back of the cat’s head lovingly.

He assumes the silence from the other is his cue to continue.

“I shouldn’t have ran away from home over such a stupid thing. I should’ve looked for you – I wanted to – but it’d already been two whole days you’ve been out there alone. I thought you’d have run off to somewhere far away. Mom and Dad migrated to Paris, they sold the old house months before the day I ran away. I had to move to my aunt’s before my parents bought this place for me since I told them I wanted to study for my degree here.”

Sungyeol still doesn’t receive a reply, light snoring the only sound coming from the other. He looks down to see Myungsoo sleeping soundly, his face buried into his pyjama top. Sungyeol smiles at the sleeping feline for the umpteenth time, slowly rising from his position on the floor being careful to not wake the fluffball in his arms as he makes his way to his bedroom.

He gently places Myungsoo next to his pillow before releasing his hold on the cat. As he moves to recover from his bent position a faint voice reaches his ears in a soft, pleading tone, “Don’t go.”

The brown-haired man freezes at the sound. His body is somewhat caught in an awkward pose as he tries not to shift his upper body that’s currently hovering over the creature, extending his left leg backwards to lightly kick his bedroom door shut then rolling over to the other side of the bed and slide under the blanket.

Sungyeol lets his left hand drape over the feline, gentle down Myungsoo’s soft, furry body.

A smile radiating the contentment and security Myungsoo is feeling from being reunited with his best friend forms on the pretty cat’s face as he gets lulled to sleep by the calming voice whispering comforting words into his ears.

“Don’t worry, you’re safe now. You’re home, so just go to sleep. I promise you that I’ll still be here beside you when you wake up. I’ll always be here with you from now on.”

“I won’t leave you again, ever.”

He hears light snoring again.

"Welcome home, Myungsoo."

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I don't know how this ended up being a complete(?) one-shot. I seriously don't. Either way, it's up! It's my very first fanfic so comments are definitely appreciated! :)

p.s. Happy Birthday, Lee Sungyeol! ♡ 생일 진심 축하해요 성열아