1/1

Realisation

 

 

This was a story of two best friends.

–Or so they thought.

They had spent their younger days together, being each other’s playmate and each other’s hiding place when they were pissed off with their parents, and being each other’s comfort zone when they had a problem. They knew each other’s secret, each other’s bad habits, and each other’s weakness; they knew literally everything.

Honestly speaking, Taemin was way richer than Minho, who lived all in simplicity. Taemin could get anything he wanted while he breathes, but Minho had to work hard to earn it.

“Hyung, come in! My father just built this, see? It’s awesome right?”

It was always been Minho’s dream to have an attic in his house, the one that its wall made of warm woods, one that the roof had big windows that could be open up at bright day, one that had a telescope so it would become a cool stargazing spot, and the one that had fluffy woollen carpet or soft mattress that covered the flooring where he could fall asleep at any time.

He even had his own amateur design that he posted on his wall; the one that he stared every night and promised himself to create one when he grew up. He was saving for one in the future, he told the younger who fiddled and questioned as to why there were a lot of piggy banks in his room.

Until one day, today, Taemin one-sidedly made it come true for him when his father decided to renovate their house.

“Wow!” Minho gasped as he could see Taemin climbing up the small attic on his spacy bedroom that Minho always jealous of. Taemin waved at him from above and motioned him to climb up as well.

He didn’t know if he should be happy about this, he was worried because it might make people think that Minho is using Taemin’s kindness for his own benefit. But no, he never intended so because he treasured Taemin a lot.

When Taemin bought him something, he always thought of returning it with something else but he never really made it because he always needed the money for something more important, like books or replacing his parents’ weary shoes.

Never once he thought of using Taemin, he befriended him because of the comfort Taemin gave him. He, at first, didn’t know that Taemin was rich because the boy wore something modest in his everyday life.

Although he was confused as to how to return this favour, he couldn’t lie that he didn’t like it. Minho loved every bit of it. Apparently this was the reason why Taemin kept asking about his dream attic look like the past month, and this definitely the reason why they always hang out in his small, suffocating room.

“You like it? This will be our new hideout.”

“Wow, Lee Taemin! This is just wow!” Minho stopped climbing the stairs when his head popped out from the square hole on the attic’s floor, gleaming at the younger. He was stunned.

Satisfied laughter escaped from Taemin’s lips, happy that he got Minho star struck with his attic– their attic, mind him. He helped Minho to climb more, sat him at one spot so he could see every corner of their attic.

“Watch this!” Taemin slided the window to the side until it was opening halfway, Minho’s jaws dropped, he definitely fell for this attic. “I know it’s too bright to be here in daylight, but if we open it at night this would be super awesome!”

Taemin looked at him in excitement; the younger could already imagine how he would spend his time there with Minho. The attic was still empty and the woods were roughly painted but Minho already loved it. He couldn’t be prouder that this.

“You should sleepover when it’s done so we can watch the star all night long! We still need mattress and blankets, a telescope, stuffed animals, snack box and many more but isn’t this perfect already?” His smile fell when he saw Minho only said nothing since they were there, his insecurity soon creeping on his skin, “You don’t like it?”

Minho shook his head, he loved it so much he immediately hugged the boy without saying anything. What else could he ask other than this? What else could he ask other than his precious Taemin? Though, this spacious attic was such an incredible topping.

 

***

 

Minho lay down next to Taemin as they stared at the sky, it was dark and little drops of rain fell to the glass above them.

“This is so uncool,” Taemin laughed, “I thought we could see the stars.”

“Me too,” Minho laughed along.

Finally the attic was finished, the flooring was covered by soft wool carpet, on top of it was a fluffy mattress that completed by warm blankets, and Taemin’s favourite stuffed animals scattered all around the small yet cosy attic. The once empty room now was full of stargazing equipment, telescope at the corner, the star maps on the wall too.

“Hyung?”

“Hmm?” Minho turned to the boy and propped himself with his elbow, he never missed Taemin’s face whenever they talk, and so did today and maybe forever.

Taemin smiled at Minho and went closer to him, he just liked it being so close. He started to like it even more when Minho held him tight.

“Why?” Minho asked.

Taemin stared at him again, he took Minho’s hand and played with it above his stomach. This was normal between them, holding hands.

“Can you sing for me?”

“Pft! You know I can’t sing, Tae! You should be the one who sing for me.”

“You said you hate it when I sing.”

“When did I say that? Try me.”

Taemin tilted his head and started to sing timidly on Minho’s ear, in a tiny whisper that made Minho’s heart beats a little too fast and arrhythmic. He gulped as the whispery love song blew his ear, Taemin just didn’t know that he could affect Minho this way. And too, this was normal between these two best friends.

“Lee Taemin...” Minho stopped Taemin from singing and playing his fingers as he held his waist, causing Taemin to let out a stagnant breathing.

“Yeah?”

“Nope, nothing...”

“I can’t sing, I know.”

“Not that...” he chuckled.

Minho then leaned to the side of Taemin’s head, nose rested hesitantly just behind Taemin’s ear to inhale this sweet scent Taemin had. The newly developed Adam apple of Taemin moved nervously while his skin went all gooseflesh, he automatically bent his neck due to the ticklish breath. The younger laughed under his breath when Minho dipped his nose onto his crook, chin rested on his shoulder.

No need for word, it was all about the flattery touches now; like usual.

Yet it was normal for them. They were best friends.

The raindrops that hit the glass above them became a romantic back sound alongside their beating heart. It wasn’t the first time. They often stayed like that, mostly in Taemin’s bed since Minho’s bed wasn’t comfortable, even though Taemin was fine lying anywhere as long as they were alone. They found comfort in each other that way.

It was normal, they thought. That was what best friends do, right?

Taemin closed his eyes as Minho trailed along his neck and jaw as usual, he timidly held Minho’s nape as he was feeling the tip of Minho’s nose all over his skin, ticklish in such a weird way. Their chest heaved like they were out of breath after a long run. This thing they did made their body warm in the middle of the rain.

The younger’s eyes shot open as he felt something warm, soft, but a little bit wet, stung at the junction of his jaw and neck, he glanced at Minho whose eyes staring at him half lidded. Whatever it was called, it made Taemin’s body felt jittery.

“What was that? It wasn’t your nose.” Taemin’s fingers ran over the skin, it was slightly wet.

“Ah– I’m sorry...” Minho suddenly shook his head as if he just awoken from his hazy thought. He looked down at Taemin and gazed at his friend, he thumbed the reddish skin and smiled a sorry.

“Gosh, it’s red! I’m so sorry, I–”

“It’s red??”

“I–I think I should go home. Sorry...” Minho kissed Taemin’s cheek as he unattached himself from the younger and rushed down from the attic. Was it a guilt written in his eyes? Taemin never dared to ask.

“But it’s raining!” Taemin shouted as he heard Minho reached the door. “It’s late too.”

“I’m sorry,” Minho ran out with his face as red as his shirt.

There was a slight pain in Taemin’s chest when Minho ran home, a weird pain he didn’t know why it emerged. This was supposed to be normal, they would cuddle today and forgets this the next day, but it seemed like this wasn’t like what he expected. Minho didn’t come the next day, and the next day, and the next day too.

 

***

 

However, Taemin always had Minho in his hand, with only one call he could make Minho come to him and spent each and every day with him in their lovely attic.

When Minho determined not to do the same thing as he did few days ago, Taemin succeeded in breaking down his resolve. And it started with them cuddling, holding hands, and light kissing on the cheek like usually, but nowadays it always ended with Minho leaving marks on Taemin’s collar or his shoulder or behind his ear, one or two times when Taemin unconsciously asked for more.

The two were innocent though, it wasn’t ual, just thrilling and pretty much romantic with the cuddling.

“Hyung?”

“Yeah?”

“I’ve been thinking...”

“About what?”

“This,” Taemin touched the reddish skin with his fingers.

“Yeah?” Minho gave a light kiss on it, creating a shy smile from Taemin.

“It’s a kiss right?”

Minho’s eyes roamed around – thinking, while combing his hair, “Probably? Since I did it with my mouth...”

“Then my first kiss is you?”

Minho giggled as he pointed the mark, “No, this is not your first kiss.”

“Yeah?”

“Yup. It is counted as first kiss if you kiss someone on their lips.”

Taemin rounded his lips and nodded.

“Or maybe –”

“Yes?”

“No... no, don’t mind me...”

“Why, hyung?”

“Nothing, really...”

They became quiet once more, hands interlaced and eyes glued to each other. The attic now was a very safe place for the two of them. When they used to cuddle on Taemin’s bed, they had to lock the door because Taesun or his mom could suddenly barge in and they would get a scolding about being too close with each other. Now the space was only for the two of them, they felt freer to do things they liked. Things like this –cuddling, holding hands, and kissing–they thought were normal.

Minho smiled at Taemin while their eyes kept staring deeply; Taemin loved their closeness so much it reflected in his bright eyes. Their fingers kept playing with each other on Taemin’s stomach, either interlaced or massaging each other’s fingers or light pinch on each other’s nails. Minho especially loved Taemin’s cute fingers, he loved his thumb and so he kept touching it.

The time went faster whenever they were alone, they wished time would stop. Minho and Taemin now laid down side to side with hands holding tight in between their body, the attic was dark with the roof was wide open revealing the dark sky with no stars but they kept staring at the darkness. Sometimes they stole glances and smiled and sometimes they stared intently only to giggle the other second.

“Taemin-ah?”

Taemin looked at Minho who was now above his face, hovering from the side, he smiled simultaneously at the close proximity. Eyebrow rose as he touched Minho’s cheek when the latter went too much closer.

He didn’t have a second to speak up when Minho pressed his lips on Taemin’s mouth, surprising the boy underneath him. Minho drew back to see Taemin’s expression, his eyes rounded and his eyelashes quivered rapidly, mouth opening and closing like goldfish, and his other hand fisted the blanket. Minho chuckled nervously at that.

The older one caressed Taemin’s chubby cheek, eyes met for a second before he leaned down to kiss his lips again; this time a little bit longer and Taemin unconsciously took part in it.

Taemin sighed contentedly in between their chaste kiss, this was not a bad idea at all.

A smile presented on Minho’s face as they parted, he thumbed Taemins lips and lied next to him; both staring at the dark sky with giddy smiles on their faces. They liked it. More than just liking it, they loved it. It was shown at how tight their hands clasping, the loud heart beating, and at how they chuckled silently.

“Can we do that again tomorrow?” Minho paused, “or maybe the day after tomorrow, or maybe when I come for a sleepover.”

The younger draped the blanket over his face to hide his blush, “anytime is fine.”

“Okay,” he threw a fist pump to the air secretly, “okay– great.”

Yeah, this was normal. Totally normal, right?

 

***

 

The day they spent in the attic was something they looked forward to, it meant that they would stare at the sky, snuggle, and kiss until they couldn’t kiss anymore– if possible. Although their parents often reminded them not to spend too much time together, the two innocent boys never wanted to listen. Because being together always made their day better, Minho would completely forgot his problem at school when he saw Taemin’s face and vice versa.

“You’re graduating middle high school this year, Tae. What do you want as present?”

Taemin bit his inner cheek as he thought, “I don’t have any idea.”

“Tell me if you want anything.”

“I will.”

“So, you’ll apply to my school?”

“Of course. School without you .”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, nobody could be as annoying but as understanding as you, hyung.”

“But you are close to that tan guy. You seem to enjoy his companion.”

“I am, but...” Taemin worked his brain, he didn’t know how to explain the differences between the two, it was just different between Minho and Kai, “Kai is just comfortable, but you... I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Minho smiled knowingly.

“Yeah, I don’t know,” Taemin let out a deep giggly sigh as he felt Minho planted soft kisses on his cheek.

It eerily became silent, Taemin’s chest started to heave out and his eyes flattery closed as Minho hugged him tighter. He loved how Minho securely wrapped him in his embrace, despite the crazy rhythm in his chest and his hazy brain. Minho placed a kiss on top of his head and they stayed like that.

“Make sure you get accepted in my school, okay?”

“Why?”

“I want to see you every day.”

Taemin looked up with a smirk on his face, they weren’t that young and maybe they knew about what kind of thing they had, but nobody was sure so they kept teasing about each other’s words that seemed to be pointed at what they were.

“Weekend is not enough?”

Minho raised his eyebrows as an answer, it was an obvious yes and it made Taemin happy.

“Why? Why are you smiling like that?” Minho squeezed his face.

“Nothing...”

“I know you’re teasing me.”

“I’m not.”

“You are.”

“Maybe a little,” he laughed.

“Oh, I hate you,” Minho pressed their lips.

“Of course you hate me.”

It was always like that, they snuggled together and kissed, talked a little and kissed, fell asleep for a while and kissed, and kissed, and more kisses coming whenever they were alone. The kisses varied from a peck, a simple lips kiss, a taunting kiss, experimental tongue kiss, wet kiss on any other place than lips, and kiss.

Maybe it wasn’t’ a normal one– of course it wasn’t normal, nobody kiss their friends on lips so many times, cheek is okay, but not lips or neck or nape, or even a peeking skin on the stomach. And even though it was innocent, the kisses they shared weren’t appropriate. A bit too much, honestly. The fact that they kissed in secret– whether stealing kisses in public or in front of their parents and friends– was totally not normal.

But none of them questioned what those kisses mean though. Because those kisses felt just right, never once felt wrong, it felt extremely right and good. They loved the feeling.

 

***

 

Taemin was eating with Taesun in the attic after he invited his brother for a closed conversation. It was about him and Minho. The younger been very bothered with their friendship because people around him started to get boyfriend and girlfriend, and he didn’t have the will to find one, at all. He wanted to ask Minho if he should get a girlfriend, but what if Minho didn’t allow him. That was why he summoned Taesun for a brother bonding time that evening.

“What? How to ask Minho to get you a girlfriend?” Taesun choked.

“Yes, how?”

“A girlfriend, Lee Taemin?”

“Why? I can’t have one? I’m 15 this year.”

“Aren’t you and Minho boyfriends?”

“What? With Minho?”

“Yeah, you’re not?” Taesun sat up and stared at Taemin who shook his head sternly, which was unexpected. “I thought you are dating.”

“Wh– why would you say that? We’re just friends, hyung!”

“But you guys kissed a lot, I saw it a few times, even when you’re younger you already hugged him like he’s yours. How is that not dating?”

“We’re not,” he paused, “isn’t it normal to kiss him?”

“Of course not, you idiot! Who said that it’s normal? Minho did?”

“No, I told Minho that it’s normal and he believes me.”

“What?? Lee Taemin, do you know how ridiculous you sound right now? Is Minho that stupid to you?” Taesun rolled his eyes, he was about to yell to his brother, but he refrained from doing so.

“He’s older than you! He absolutely knows more than you do,” Taesun scoffed, “But he believes you? It’s ing outrageous! He probably just uses you as a play toy. That bastard!”

“Why are you talking so harshly? No need to degrade him like that!”

“Listen, I know whom I set my interest in when I’m 12, it’s impossible not understand what kind of feeling you guys have at this age. You always there when mom watches romantic movies or drama, can’t you figure it out? You even watch , yet you don’t get what those kisses mean? Bull.”

“But we don’t have that kind of feeling,” his voice showed hesitation, “do we?”

“That’s why mom and dad yelled at you–me too, but skip that, it’s because you’re still young to be in that kind of relationship, you guys not supposed to kiss in this early age. What if you guys go further than that?”

Taemin was silent.

“So it’s not normal?”

“You think?! You guys each other’s face, how could that be normal??”

 

***

 

Taemin wasn’t responding to Minho’s hug when he came, he didn’t mind the soft peck Minho planted on his lips as they climbed the attic. He only blushed a second later when Minho kissed him harder until he noticed what actually happened between them. This was a normal kiss, right? He thought as he returned the nibbling.

“What happen?” Minho asked.

“Huh?”

“You have something bothering you?”

“Nothing.”

“Not telling me, huh? Okay, take your time. I know you’ll tell me eventually.”

Minho set the telescope and took a pen in his hand, he said he was going to see the blue moon, news been noisy about it so he invited himself to their attic. Taemin watched the elder’s back as he slumped to the fluffy mattress.

Was it really normal in Minho’s eyes? Was their kiss meant something for Minho?

Or maybe not?

Minho looked totally normal when he kissed him, no indication of claiming him as boyfriend. Maybe Taesun was right? That Minho used him for ual experiment.

The younger crawled and hugged Minho from behind, face nuzzled on Minho’s nape. Minho just let him, even only patted his head once.

Then he kissed the nape, and again, Minho wasn’t responding to it. Maybe this was, too, normal between them. But it wasn’t supposed to be normal, right? Best friends didn’t kiss like them, Taesun said. Taesun never wanted to kiss his best friend, that was gross, he said. But why he wanted to kiss and to be kissed by Minho so badly?

“All set!” Minho happily commented, and then walked to the mattress to lie down, not really minding Taemin who latched to his side at the moment.

The older played with Taemin’s phone and let Taemin climbed onto him, this wasn’t normal, but Minho didn’t bother it like it was normal. Taemin was pretty determined to figure out what kind of thing they both had; maybe it was just him who thought that they were more than just a best friend, just like what Taesun had planted on his head. What was in Minho’s head? He couldn’t figure it out.

So, Taemin kissed Minho’s lips.

“Are you sad?” Minho asked.

Taemin kissed longer, deeper, harder.

“You want me to stop playing with your game? Alright then.”

He cupped Minho’s face and again, kissed him, with tongue. Minho kissed him back this time, only to pull away the next second, smiling to him.

“What? You missed me?”

Taemin gave up, for it was rather confusing, “Yeah.”

Minho probably thinks that we are nothing, Taemin thought.

“Cute,” Minho patted his head and Taemin sunk his face on Minho’s crook again, feeling Minho wrapped his arms around his waist securely.

Taemin’s heart was beating painfully, eyes stung, and hardly breathe.

“What is it, Tae?” Minho gently asked.

Taemin shook his head.

“You are obviously not fine,” Minho tore their body, “Let me see your face.”

Taemin’s eyes were glassy, lips pouted, and he was about to cry. Why was it painful to think that they were normal? Did he want things to be more than just a friendship between them? Why did he hope so desperately that they were more than that?

Minho kissed his pouty lips, worried. Taemin opened his lips for more, and Minho complied to give him more than just a soft kiss. They rolled over, switched places until Minho was hovering Taemin in a protective way, carefully not to put his weight on the younger entirely, hugging him tight while their lips melted into each other’s. Soft sighs were heard every now and then, a low mewl was heard too, and also whispers of each other’s name.

The older parted their lips and kissed down Taemin’s jaws, to Taemin’s sensitive earlobe and to the junction between his neck and jaws. A harsh wave of pleasure washed over him and it made something click in Taemin’s head. How could he do not realised it sooner? What should he do now? He liked this so badly, that it was terrifying. But they were best friend, weren’t they? Was this all supposed to be normal?

“This is not normal,” Taemin cried.

It got Minho stopped peppering kisses on his collar bone all of a sudden.

“Lee Taemin?”

“This is not supposed to be done between best friends,” he covered his face with his arm.

There came a moment of silence after Minho shied away from Taemin. Taemin loved Minho, he liked all the things they had done as two, and he knew nothing would happen between them since Minho showed all the normalcy; Minho didn’t liked him as much as he is. He bet the elder would leave him after knowing that Taemin had stopped him from continuing whatever they were doing right now. And he would break his own heart seeing Minho’s back walking away.

However, far from what he imagined in his cries, Taemin felt a warm body wrapped him into a tight hug from the side, Minho’s face buried on his crook and he felt a gentle on his head. He became quiet.

“You just noticed it?” Minho asked silently.

Taemin nodded. But then he stopped sniffling and turned to see Minho’s eyes.

“I’ve noticed it long time ago, even before we learn to kiss, Tae...”

The younger pouted even more, he didn’t cry ugly any more, he just dropping few droplets of tears out of embarrassment. He completely miscounted this possibility. His head only thought about bad things that might happen, he absolutely forgot that maybe there exist a good chance. Stupid he was, only noticing it now, when Minho had noticed it long time ago. Yet here he thought he was going to be hurt because Minho didn’t feel the same. After hearing Minho, he didn’t dare to ask how many times he hurt the elder for noticing it now.

“Is it okay to say it now, Tae?”

Taemin tore his gaze from the dark sky above him, and looked at Minho questioningly.

“Oh you know...” Minho smiled, “that I love you.”

 

 

 

 

 


double treat for 2min anniversary~ sorry this one came a tad slower, I forgot that I have to update this one too lol. Honestly, I've been keeping this story (and bubble gum too) for a while now, it's almost become a long forgotten story and I think it won't hurt if I post it here. Do you enjoy it? I really hope so~

Also, I am going to Seoul for SWC V, yeaaaaay~ although I haven't packed my things until now, urgh... I'm like a zombie and my sleeping habit become a mess, it's like I'm living in the hospital almost 24 hours a day (for straight 6 weeks already). I lost 14 pounds because I often miss my meal :( I'm praying I won't colapse on the D-day because that would be very ..

PS:

This is how the attic look like, if you want to know~ it's perfect for cuddling, right?

Don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote would be very sweet of you.

love, hug, kiss,

aqcelnicorus :D