One and only

It's me

Attention please! All passenger departing to Austrialia, Airline 418, please proceed to Gate 221.

 


I got up from my seat and pulled my luggage.

 

I had to go to Australia for my treatment. I still haven’t fully recovered from the accident, they said. I had an accident years ago.

 

All I could remember from the accident was only a vivid memory. A moment when I realised that my car was crashed against the other car and my head knocked on the steering wheel. Blood flowing down my cheek from the injury on my forehead. I heard a woman's voice beside me faintly; asking if I’m okay and encouraging me to stay awake. I tried to look at her once more but my vision became blurred and I was lying in the hospital when I woke up.

 


I took a step on the travelator. From the opposite direction, I saw a woman who was busy with her iPad. I think that she had just arrived in Seoul since she was in a different direction from mine.

 

When I first saw her, without me knowing, her eyes were already on me. Her eyes were fixed on me and she pulled out her earphone from her ear. 

 

Suddenly, tears were rolling down her cheeks. When I saw her cry, my heart hurts. I want to go up to her and wipe her tears. I want to hug her tightly so that she will stop crying.

 

What’s wrong with me? Do I know her? Why did my heart hurts so much when I saw her cry?

 

Tears were starting to roll down my cheeks too. She looked at me deeply.

 

When we passed by each other on the travelator, I could see that the tears from her eyes were not stopping. She smiled at me, showing a deep dimple from her cheek. 

 

That smile, that dimple. Why does it seems so familiar?

 

I tried not to look back to see her. But after awhile, I wanted to see her again. I don’t want to see her being away from me.

 

I turned. I saw her wiping her tears with her sleeve.

 

Why isn't she turning towards me? Should I go up to her? But I don’t know her, do I?

 


The woman just decided to looked back to the front. However, the woman with the iPad turned to look at her.

 

They had missed the chance to see each other.

 

She saw the woman’s back. Tears started to accumulate at her eyes again. As time passed, the distance between them became further and further.

 

When they arrived at the different ends of the travelator, the woman continued her way to the plane without looking back, leaving a pair of eyes that were crying over her departure.

 


 

 

 

 

“Yongsun-ah, you still couldn’t remember me? I miss you so much.” ㅠㅠ