Meeting.

The Hardest Part Is Forgetting Those You Swore You Would Never Forget

In which the first meeting ends with a pissed of Yoongi and a very confused Jimin.


 

Jimin would like to say that the first time he met Yoongi was when the cherry blossoms first bloomed in the early spring. He would like to say that whenever his chocolate eyes had first settled on the teen standing in an ocean of pink petals, it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. But of course, Jimin was just a romantic who spent most of his time in that strange head of his, and first meetings never went the way anyone wanted them to.

 

Especially for Park Jimin.

 

October 22, 2012

 

It was the year when a sixteen year old Jimin first laid eyes on smooth, alabaster skin and delicate features set in a deep scowl. The trees that glowed with greenery seemingly a few days ago were now hunched over, as if shying away from the cold. The bark cracked and branches stripped with the few wilted leaves remaining clinging for dear life. But nothing could survive the coming bitter chill of winter, or the depression that hung in the form of the grey sky that came along with the cold.

 

Although Jimin would argue that no matter the season the world was a beautiful place. Though some would beg to differ and say that Jimin was just too optimistic for his own good. And maybe he was- not that he particularly cared. Jimin liked to see the good in everything and everyone, foolish as it may be.

 

Jimin was just in love with the world, even if it didn’t love him back.

 

And maybe if someone had showed him how vile and cruel people could be, things would have been different for him down the line. Maybe his story wouldn’t have ended so tragically, and maybe he could have avoided all the broken bones and cracked ribs and escaped without a heavy heart. If Jimin had just accepted that the earth held no remorse for its hosts and never left his tiny bubble…

 

Maybe he would have never met Min Yoongi.

 

“Jimin, let’s go inside,” Jungkook whined. “It’s cold.”

 

The brunette averted his lost gaze from the withered leaves that danced across the pavement, turning to Jungkook to give him a wide smile. “The leaves are pretty.”

 

Jungkook scrunched his nose in disapproval, his hands dug deeply into the pockets of his beige jacket to seek warmth. “You’re weird.”

 

“Why are you whining you rascal?” Jimin grabbed Jungkook, opting to cling tightly to the younger boy’s arm as he pressed a cheek against his shoulder, continuing to scold his friend. “ Besides, shouldn’t you be grateful that I’m your best friend? Just my presence should warm you up.”

 

Jungkook sighed, attempting to pry his arm away from the elder but only ending up dragging him down the sidewalk. “Yah! Park Jimin! Let go before you rip my arm off!”

 

Jimin pouted, tightening his grip until he hung onto Jungkook like a vice. “Is that anyway to talk to your hyung? Why are you speaking to me so informally?!”

 

“You’re only older than me by nine months, idiot! Plus, I’m American! This is America!”

 

“Yah! Who are you calling an idiot?”

“Who else would I be calling an idiot!”

 

“Jungkookie is so mean~” Jimin choked, faking a sob as he buried his face into the wool material of Jungkook’s jacket.

 

With his free hand, Jungkook decidedly flicked Jimin on the head. “I’m really going to beat you up if you don’t let go!”

 

When Jimin lifted his head to give his best puppy dog eyes, Jungkook laughed, slapping a hand over his mouth when people began to give him a dirty look.

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

“You really look like a blowfish!”

 

Jimin proceeded to wipe an imaginary tear, giving the laughing teen a dejected look as he pushed him away. “You’re really a bully, Jeon Jungkook.”

 

Jungkook grinned, prodding the teens pouting cheeks. “That’s because you make it too easy.” He giggled. “You really are innocent, Jiminnie.”

 

“Am not!”

 

“Are too!”

 

Jimin stopped in his tracks, putting his hands on his hips. “Says the guy who’s never even held a girl’s hand before!”

 

Jungkook stopped mid-step, turning around to glare back at Jimin, cheeks tinted a rosy red. Whether it was the chill of the air or embarrassment, Jimin wasn’t sure- but he was betting on the latter. “You’ve never even had a girlfriend!” he retorted.

 

Jimin smirked, “yes I have.” He seemed to be gloating now, with his impending victory at hand.

 

“Anna  from first grade doesn’t count,” Jungkook deadpanned. “She only dated you because she’d never seen a real korean before. Whatever that means.”

 

Jimin gasped in mock exasperation. “How dare you! She was my first true love!”

 

There was a moment of silence where the two merely stared blankly at each other before bursting into laughter- once again earning disapproving glares from strangers.

 

Wiping a tear from his eye, Jungkook sighed. “Can we just admit that we’re both two hopeless idiots?”

 

Jimin grinned, eyes disappearing into crescents. “More like two devilishly handsome idiots.” He then cocked his head, gesturing to the quaint burger place a few shops down. “Wanna go inside and get something to eat?”

 

Jungkook nodded all too eagerly. “Hell yes. I’m cold and hungry.”

 

“You’re paying though.”

 

Hyung,” Jungkook all but whined.

 

“You only call me hyung when you want something,” Jimin teased. “Besides, I thought you were American, remember?”

 

Jungkook slung his arm around the shorter teens neck, speaking in korean. “That’s all in the past, hyung. We must focus on the present.”

 

Jimin shot Jungkook a mock glare at his attempt to up.

 

But they both knew that Jimin would be buying either way. He was a kid with a big heart who gave more than he received. Though there was never any fun in letting Jungkook off easily. Who knew that someone could be such a saint and a devil at the same time? Not that either of them were complaining.

 

Park Jimin and Jeon Jungkook had been two inseparable peas in a pod since kindergarten. Growing up in the same neighborhood, they had too much in common and did everything together to the point that their parents often joked that they were fraternal twins separated at birth (though Jungkook seemingly had more of a grip on reality and his sanity than the the latter). The two six year olds had taken the joke too seriously though and for a month were convinced that they were long lost brothers. Jungkook had even gone to the extreme; sneaking Jimin out of his house at 12am, much to the elders protests, to go find their real parents (though they had no clue what they were even really doing).

 

Maybe Jungkook didn’t have a grip on his sanity one bit.

 

But such trivialities didn’t matter. They were both content with being insane together.

 

xxxx

 

“That hit the spot!” Jungkook exclaimed a little too loudly, leaning back to rub his stomach and let out a dramatic sigh. “I feel like I’m going to explode!” Jimin smiles at his best friends antics. “I’m serious!”

 

Jimin laughs, “you’re so extra.”

 

This earns him a wink, “and you love me for that.”

 

Jimin shudders. “So slimy.”

 

Jungkook feigns hurt before digging around in his pocket to bring out two tickets. “Ah, I almost forgot about these.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

Jungkook leans forward onto the table, giving his infamous grin that Jimin knows spells trouble. “They’re tickets to an underground rap concert on Friday. A hyung of mine that’s going to perform gave them to me.”

 

Jimin raises an eyebrow, fiddling with the straw of his coke. “An underground what?”

 

“An underground rap concert,” Jungkook repeats with more enthusiasm.

 

Jimin hesitates. “Doesn’t that sound...dangerous?” Jungkook all but doubles over in laughter as Jimin stares at him, innocent eyes wide in confusion. “What? What’s so funny?”

 

Jungkook takes a moment to collect himself before answering. “What’s so dangerous about a concert, silly! Ahhh, Park Jimin, you really are too innocent for your own good.”

 

Jimin once again pouts. “I’m not.”

 

Jungkook bites his tongue, deciding that the boy had enough teasing for one day. “So are you coming?”

 

Jimin nods eagerly. This time, excitement and curiosity gleams in his eyes. “Yes.”

 

Hopefully he wouldn’t regret this.

 

October 26, 2012

 

Jimin doesn’t know anything about rap music or concerts, but he knows that he most certainly looks out of place. Everyone’s dressed cooly in a hip hop sort of style. They all look like they belong here, even Jungkook blends into the crowd- but then again, someone as handsome as Jeon Jungkook could never look out of place.

 

Jungkook had never told Jimin what to wear, so Jimin had opted to dress himself (which was never a good idea because Park Jimin had a terrible sense of fashion.) He sported a puke green TMNT shirt with red basketball shorts. His shoes were a sickeningly neon yellow, and it had taken all of Jungkook’s willpower not to burst into uncouth laughter right there and then.

 

Jimin doesn’t know anything about rap concerts, but definitely knows that this club isn’t underground.

 

Jimin knits his eyebrows in confusion. “I thought this was supposed to be an underground concert? Why isn’t it underground?”

 

Jungkook clears his throat, once again suppressing a laugh as they wait in line. He definitely shouldn’t have let Jimin dress himself; or put it past Jimin to take everything so literally.

 

“It’s not actually underground, silly.”

 

“Then they shouldn’t call it an underground rap concert,” Jimin grumbles to himself.

 

Whether it was that Jimin just had no sense of color scheme, or he was just completely clueless...Jungkook didn’t know. All he knew is that those neon yellow shoes gave him a headache to look at. He almost wanted to demand Jimin to throw them away right there and then to save them both the embarrassment.

 

“Jungkook are you sure I look okay..? I feel so out of place,” Jimin mumbles, eyes downcast in insecurity.

 

“You look great,” Jungkook lies for the millionth time. “If I wasn’t straight, I’d totally fall for you.”

 

Jimin blushes, punching his friend in the arm playfully. “Shut up. That’s gross.”

 

Okay, so maybe Jungkook was responsible for Jimin’s incapability of dressing himself without looking like a ed up rainbow. But he simply never had the heart to tell the teen that his fashion sense was borderline monstrous. Park Jimin’s heart was far too soft for his own good. Seeing anything else but a blinding smile on the elder's face was disheartening to Jungkook. Despite being younger, Jungkook had always looked out for his baby faced friend for their entire lives. In some ways, he always had felt that it was his duty to protect Jimin.

 

He frowned subconsciously. Maybe that’s why Jimin had such a hard time in his younger days.

 

“It’s opening!” Jimin squeals in excitement as the doors open, forgetting his insecurities in an instant.

 

Jungkook blinks, his mind readjusting to reality.

 

Jungkook had suggested that they arrive early, therefore giving them a front row view  of the small stage.

 

Jungkook can’t help the way the corners of his eyes crinkle in amusement ten minutes later when the lights dim and the crowd quiets down. Jimin is practically bouncing up and down on the balls of his feel, wide eyes scouring the venue in what could only be described as awe. When a short brunette that look to be in his late teens steps on stage, the crowd goes wild. When his tall black haired counterpart joins him, the crowd nearly loses their . Jimin jumps in surprise, owlish eyes blinking in confusion.

 

Were concerts supposed to be like this?

 

Concerts are a lot louder than he expected, Jimin realizes when the music starts and the two men on stage start rapping. Jimin’s ears are ringing from the closeness in proximity to the speakers and the screaming and hooting of the crowd. He’s sure that he’ll go death by the time it’s all over.

 

There’s a lot of pushing when the black haired man kneels at the end of the stage to let the fans touch his hand, and Jimin is sure that someone wipes their sweat across his cheek in attempt to grab the rappers hand.

 

At any other time, Jimin would have been disgusted- horrified even, but Jimin doesn’t care because he’s starstruck. He doesn’t scream and jump like the other fans. No, Park Jimin is rooted to his spot, mouth wide open and eyes as big as saucers as he watches the two men on stage in complete and utter amazement. He doesn’t care how much he’s been pushed against the railing, or how many times someone’s elbow hits him in the back of the head, because all the teen can see is the two men on stage- specifically the smaller one with a distinctive accent.

 

They jump around stage, beads of perspiration sliding down sweaty foreheads as they open water bottles and fling them at the crowd. Jimin’s not sure how anyone can rap that fast without biting their tongue or something (or maybe he’s just too stupid to understand)  but he drinks in every rhyme, even if he doesn’t quite comprehend everything himself. . At some point, Jimin is hit with a rather courteous amount of water, but he welcomes the cool liquid in the suffocating hotness of the crowd. Nevermind the fact that he feels like he’s going to pass out any minute now. He’s practically in love with whatever is happening at this point.

 

The venues small and ty. There’s no air conditioning, and  there’s only about a hundred people in the crowd (whom are all bound to die of a heatstroke of some sorts) but Park Jimin has never been happier in his life. He looks at Jungkook who looks equally as disheveled as he does and they smile widely at each other.

 

Jimin didn’t know these people, but he knew that at this moment, they were all feeling the same thing he was feeling. They were all one.

 

And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

Xxxxx

 

“Woah,” is all Jimin can say after the concert ends. Everyone had begun clearing out, but Jimin had remained rooted to his spot.

 

“Woah is right,” Jungkook agrees wholeheartedly.

 

There’s a moment of silence as they both struggle to collect themselves. Jimin is sweaty and gross and he’s sure to take a long hot bath when he gets home.

 

“Why didn’t we do this before!?” he all but shrieks, breaking through the silence.

 

Jungkook looks amused, “because you’re such a goody two shoes. All you do is study.”

 

“Well sorry, not everyone is born a genius like you.” Jimin’s voice drips with sarcasm.

 

Jungkook merely gives him a cheeky smile. “You’re right. Not everyone is born as naturally talented as I am.”

Jimin doesn’t say anything because it’s true. Jungkook is perfect.

 

“C’mon,” Jungkook beckons, heading towards the back room area which is clearly off limits.

 

“Uh,” Jimin hesitates, not ready to be apart of Jungkook’s troublesome and sometimes  illegal antics yet again.

 

Jungkook all but rolls his eyes. “I told you that my friend was one of the guys performing today, right?”

 

Jimin feels stupid for forgetting and scurries after his friend.

 

The bouncer easily lets them in when Jungkook flashes him their passes, leading Jimin down a dark and narrow hallway.

 

Now that the adrenaline has died down a bit, he begins to feel a bit nervous.

 

“Here we are!” Jungkook announces, lifting his fist to knock on the door.

 

Jimin pulls at the hem of Jungkook’s shirt before his knuckles can make contact with the discolored mahogany wood.

 

“Wait.” Jimin all but stares at his shoes, and Jungkook can’t help but find it endearing when Jimin peeks up at him through long lashes. “I’m not sure if I should go….I mean...what if they don’t like me?”

Jungkook snorts as if the older teen had made the most ridiculous statement. “Don’t be daft. You’re a ray of sunshine, Park Jimin. How could anyone possibly hate you?”

 

That eases Jimin’s nerves a bit.

 

Jungkook proceeds to knock on the door. There’s a lot of crashing noises and a muffled before the door finally swings open. Standing there is the black haired man that performed earlier.

 

“Jungkook!” the man beams at the younger teen before wrapping his arms around him in a bone crushing hug.

 

“Hyung. Can’t. Breathe.” Jungkook chokes out.

 

The man let’s go of Jungkook quickly, taking a step back. “Ah, right. Sorry,” he apologizes sheepishly. “It’s just been awhile.”

 

Jungkook nods in agreement. “Awhile? More like a million years. Hyung, do you not love me anymore!”

 

The black haired man laughs at Jungkook’s theatrics before motioning them to come inside. “Come in! Come in!”

 

When Jimin steps in, his eyes zone in on the familiar short brunette lazing on a torn up couch. He suddenly feels very nervous again.

 

Jungkook greets the man on the couch with familiarity before putting a hand on Jimin’s shoulder. “Ah, this is my best friend, Park Jimin.” Jungkook introduces. “He’s the one I told you about, hyung.”

 

Jimin feels uncomfortable with the attention on him. He’s sure he doesn’t belong here, but when Hoseok envelops him in the bone crushing hug Jungkook had received earlier, Jimin can’t help but feel touched.

 

“I’ve heard soooo much about you!” Hoseok squeals before pulling away to hold Jimin at arms length, looking the boy up and down. “You’re so cute! Are all of your friends this cute Jungkook?”

 

“He’s a minor, you erted hyung,” Jungkook deadpans.

 

Hoseok let’s out a bellowing laugh that shakes the small room. “Too bad. I know a hyung who would totally dig a cutie like you.”

 

Jimin finds himself blushing for the second time that night.

 

“I-I’m not gay,” Jimin stutters.

 

Hoseok waves him off. “Of course. Of course. I’m Jung Hoseok by the way. My stage name’s J-hope, but you can call me by my real name since we’re friends now. I met Jungkook last year because we shared the same ty economics class. Teacher hated our guts. That’s probably why we got along so well.”

 

Jimin notices that not only does Hoseok rap fast, but the speed at which he speaks is hard to keep up with.. Jimin decides that he really likes Hoseok. His bright personality matches Jimin’s well.

 

Hoseok proceeds to point towards the brunette that had been lazing silently on the couch the entire time. “That’s Min Yoongi hyung. His stage name is Suga, but you don’t have to call him such a dumb name.”

 

“Do you want to die?” Yoongi threatens flatly.

 

Hoseok leans in towards Jimin, cupping a hand around his mouth to whisper. “Don’t mind him. He has a foul attitude and is always grumpy, but he’s a good guy at heart.”

 

Jimin could feel Yoongi’s glare on the pair. “You call that whispering? You must really want to die today, Jung Hoseok.”

 

Hoseok clutches his heart in mock hurt. “I support and love you, and you threaten me in return! Whatever have I done to deserve such cruelty?”

 

Jimin can’t help but break out into laughter, and it’s not long till Hoseok and Jungkook follow along. Jimin laughs until his ribs hurt, and when the fit of laughters finally begins to subside, he looks up to find Yoongi staring directly at him with an unreadable expression.

 

He doesn’t know why, but Yoongi’s gaze makes him nervous.

 

“I thought you were really cool on stage!” Jimin blurts out.

 

Yoongi continues to stare at him for a moment before raising an eyebrow. “Yeah?”

 

Jimin nods all too eagerly, scampering over to plop himself right next to Yoongi. He doesn’t notice the way the older teen tenses when he does. Jimin’s a mixture of nerves and excitement at this point, because he can’t believe that he’s in the same room as someone as cool as Min ing Yoongi.

 

“You were amazing, hyung!” Jimin spares a glance at Hoseok who had begun to pout. “Both of you were! You guys were jumping around stage like this and this,” Jimin motions wildly with his arms.

 

Yoongi looks half afraid that he’s going to get hit by the flailing boy. “You’re seriously so awesome, hyung!” Jimin continues to praise.

 

Xxx

 

“I’m not sure why you’re calling me hyung so easily. We’re not that close.” Yoongi responds cooly. “But thanks,” he adds on.

 

He’s not sure where the this kid came from, or why he’s sitting so close to him, but the way that the boy is beaming brightly at him makes Yoongi want to punch him in the face. He reminds Yoongi too much of of his idiot of a friend, Hoseok.

 

Yoongi scowls at Hoseok, his burning glare all but asking “where the did you pick up this kid and why is he here?”

 

Hoseok simply smirks at him knowingly.

 

Yeah, Yoongi is definitely going to ing kill that idiot.
 

“Sorry!” Jimin apologizes, but he doesn’t sound too sorry at all.

 

Yoongi resists the urge to fidget at the uncomfortably close proximity. He’ll be damned if he let’s a kid who looks freaking thirteen make him uncomfortable, but he does anyways (though he’d never admit that to himself).

 

How did someone so young even get into the concert anyway? And why is he wearing that god awful outfit?

 

It’s been five minutes, and Yoongi already hates this kid. His smile is so annoyingly bright and innocent, and his cute coffee colored puppy eyes st-

 

Wait, did Yoongi just call this kids ty eyes cute? He grimaces, scowl deepening. His dark expression was easy to intimidate others and scare them off, but Jimin was either oblivious or just plain stupid because he seemed completely unaffected by the daggers Yoongi was shooting at him, or the fact that Yoongi’s lips were settled in a thin line in what could only be described as annoyance.

 

He lights a cigarette, taking a long drag before blowing the smoke out, hoping that the stench will make Jimin move away. He doesn’t budge.

 

Yoongi was sure that no one on the planet was as stupid as Jung Hoseok, but apparently he was wrong.

 

Park Jimin is definitely the biggest idiot.

 

He really hates the way the kid stares up at him with stars in his eyes as if the rapper is the most wonderful thing on the planet.

 

“Can you stop that?” Yoongi requests with a sigh.

 

Jimin blinks owlishly. “Stop what?”

 

Yoongi can feel the knot in his head forming. “Stop staring at me like that.”

 

“Like what?” Jimin asks.

 

“Like that,” Yoongi repeats, eyes narrowing.

 

Jimin’s eyebrows knit in confusion. “I’m not sure what you’re talking about, Yoongi hyung.”

 

At this point, the rapper is sure that a blood vessel popped.

 

I swear to ing god I’m going to-

 

“Just stop staring at me!” he finally snaps.

 

“I can’t,” Jimin states bluntly.

 

Yoongi is really about to strangle this kid. “And why is that?” he almost growls.

 

Suddenly Jimin looks very serious, and Yoongi is sure that he’s just gone and pissed off the kiddo.

 

He already has an half assed apology on the tip of his tongue when Jimin suddenly says, “because I like you.”

 

Yoongi chokes as he inhales another puff of smoke, doubling over as he begins coughing unceremoniously. “What?” he chokes out.

 

“I’m your fan,” Jimin says seriously.

 

Hoseok is howling with laughter, slapping his knee as he takes pleasure in Yoongi’s reaction. Jungkook covers his mouth in a failed attempt to stifle his own snickering, not wanting to incur the wrath of the grumpy man.

 

If looks could kill, the two of them would definitely be dead. “Shut up you s!” Yoongi yells, ears hot.

 

He puts his cigarette out in the ashtray before slumping down into the couch, hoping that it’ll somehow swallow him whole and he could disappear. Choking on a cigarette after some middle schooler tells you he’s your fan is definitely not cool.

 

“Listen kid,  I appreciate the fact that you like me and all, but don’t you think that you’re too young to be here? Or even be listening to my mixtapes? Also, stop calling me hy-

 

“I’m sixteen,” Jimin all but deadpans, irritation flitting across his features at Yoongi’s ridiculous assumption that he was a middle schooler. “You can’t be much older than me, hyung.” Jimin’s voice has taken on a slight condescending tone.  

 

That catches Yoongi slightly off guard as his eyebrows shoot up. Jimin definitely didn’t look his age. His face was round and his boyish features were still prominent.

 

“I’m nineteen,” Yoongi responds.

 

“I’m eighteen!” Hoseok adds.

 

As soon as the annoyance was there, it was gone as Jimin flashes another dazzling smile that all but blinds Yoongi and gives him a headache. “That’s cool, hyung! What university do you go to?”

 

“I’m not in school, and stop calling me hyung.”

 

“I’m in my senior year!” Hoseok once again adds, obviously wanting attention that Jimin was not giving him.

 

Jimin simply stares at Yoongi like he’s grown a second head. “But you graduated high school, didn’t you?”

 

Yoongi nods.

 

“Then...why aren’t you in university?”

 

Yoongi sighs in annoyance. “Is this an interrogation or something, kid? I didn’t want to go to university-

 

Jimin gasps, cutting the rapper off. “You’re not in university?!”

 

Yoongi’s jaw ticks in growing irritation. “That’s what I said, isn’t it?”

 

“Are you dumb or something?”

 

The blunt question catches Yoongi off guard, but Jimin continues.

 

“My dad said that people who don’t go to uni are dumb kids with bad parents who will probably end up homele-

 

“Jimin!” Jungkook jumps to grab the boy and pull him up before Yoongi can let out a string of abusive curses. “Sorry about him. He doesn’t know what he’s saying half of the time.”

 

Jimin just looks confused as ever. “What? Did I say something wrong? My dad said-

 

Jungkook pinches Jimin, who lets out a yelp.

 

“Yah! Why did you do that for!”

 

But Jungkook is already pushing Jimin out the door. “It was nice seeing you hyungs, but I think it’s time we go home. It’s getting late and we have school tomorrow.”

 

“What are you talking about? Tomorrow’s Sat-

 

Jungkook all but shoves Jimin out before shutting the door, but not before yelling a quick, “see you guys later!”

 

After a few moments of silence, Hoseok turns to the older rapper, grinning.

 

Yoongi’s about had enough. “What?” he snaps harshly.

 

Hoseok pays no mind though. “Jimin’s pretty interesting, isn’t he?”

 

“Interesting?” Yoongi repeats in disbelief. “More like a pain in the if anything. Don’t bring him around anymore.”

 

“I like him!” Hoseok chirps. “He’s like a cute younger brother.”

 

“Go take your weird little brother complex somewhere else. I’m tired,” he mutters lamely.

 

Yoongi puts a hand over his eyes, trying to erase the blinding smile from his stupid mind which seems to have remembered every detail of Jimin’s face. His headache worsens at this, and Yoongi knows that the kids dangerous. Yoongi knows that he should stay away from him.

 

Because Jimin’s smile is like the sun, and Min Yoongi doesn’t deserve any light in his life.

 

He sinks further into the worn couch, hoping that he’ll disappear for real this time.