fin.

lead me back to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There came a point in Hong Jisoo’s life where he began to think back on all of his life decisions. Most of the time, he didn’t think they were that bad; for starters, moving from America to South Korea to study was probably the best one he had. It was a bit of an awkward start, but he breezed through the four years of university and was currently on his first few months being officially unemployed. He already had resumes sent to some music companies, even had a few interviews scheduled later that week, as he waited for life to pick up the pace. 

If there was anything he did regret, anything at all that he found himself looking back to and telling past Jisoo about, was becoming friends with Hansol. 

Oh, but Hansol isn’t the problem. No, of course not, he was the only boy Jisoo could engage in an English conversation with was occasionally his savior in times of Korean need. The thing is, Hansol had practically grown up in Korea, so he had his own set of friends that Jisoo eventually found himself merged into. A nice group of friends. A bunch of friends who just happen to love adventure and all things fun and dangerous. A group of young and reckless boys who happened to find themselves in the hospital, again.

Jisoo wondered for the umpteenth time that day if he should just drop them. 

“You love us too much,” Soonyoung said from his spot on the bed, trying his best to keep still so Seokmin can finish doodling on his leg cast. He had a wide grin on his face as if he didn’t just break his leg trying to skateboard flip down the stairs. 

“You guys are already in your last year at university,” Jisoo chided. “Don’t die before you get your diplomas.”

A groan from the other side of the room caught Jisoo’s attention, and he watched as Junhui struggled to sit up on his bed. The Chinese boy released another groan as he did so, accidentally applying pressure on his broken right arm. Minghao was beside him in a heartbeat— hitting his head and complaining about how he wished Junhui had broken more bones with his stupidity. He doesn’t even know how to skateboard in the first place, why did he bother trying?

“Jisoo,” Junhui whined when he caught the older boy staring. “My little Haohao is bullying me.”

From beside his bed, Hansol gently patted Junhui’s good arm, “you deserve it.” 

Jisoo shook his head, smiling despite the mess. Junhui went on to act out a dramatic complaint about how life was unfair, and was met with a snickering Hansol and a still worried, but slightly less annoyed, Minghao. At least, things were a bit more peaceful on Soonyoung’s end. Seokmin had finished his little masterpiece— he drew some kind of a rainbow and a horse, Jisoo has no idea why— and now Mingyu had taken to colouring it in. 

It was moments like these that Jisoo felt the one or two years he had with the rest of the guys, as he felt equal parts worry for their safety and also judging them completely for what they’ve done. He didn’t think he was that crazy during his vibrant youth; not that he was old or anything, but he was the only one fresh out of college, so that had to mean something. That also meant he was the standing adult figure whenever they had to be in ‘serious situations’ as Seokmin liked to call it. Moments where they needed an adult who weren’t their parents. 

Jisoo was reaching a peak point in his regret stage when the door to the hospital room opened, and in came the doctor from earlier. 

“They just have to rest here a bit while we check to make sure we’ve got everything sorted out,” the man said, addressing the whole room, but focusing on Jisoo the most. “Their families were informed and they should be released by tomorrow. In the mean time, I’ll be sending an intern in to tend to whatever’s still needed and give more updates.”

“Thank you,” Jisoo said gratefully as the doctor left. He wished he wasn’t too awkward. He was just 21, he was a kid as much as the rest of the boys in the room were. Still, he nudged at Seokmin and Mingyu who were nearest to him, and pointed towards the wall clock. “It’s getting late, you guys should be home for dinner.”

Mingyu jumped up, dragging Seokmin with him, “oh, you’re right!”

“That means you too, guys,” Jisoo directed towards Hansol and Minghao. “Don’t think I’ve forgotten you have that exam coming up on Monday and you need the whole weekend to procrastinate before studying.” 

Junhui pouted, “does Minghao have to go? I’m his roommate, he’ll be lonely back in the dorms.”

Minghao made a face, already walking away from Junhui’s bed, “maybe you should have thought of that before you did stupid things.”

Hansol was the only one who bothered to stop and ask Jisoo if he would be fine alone, and the elder just waved a hand and said it wasn’t anything he wasn’t already used to— which was true enough in itself, this wasn’t the first time any of them had managed to land themselves in the hospital. All the boys’ parents knew and trusted him well enough, too. It was a bit of a responsibility, but nothing he couldn’t take. Not like he had anything better to do either. 

“I’ll stick around till the nurse or intern comes in and all, just to be sure,” Jisoo assured him, waving them off. 

“You don’t have to stay,” Soonyoung piped up once the rest of them left. “We’ll be fine.” 

Jisoo offered a smile, taking a seat by the beds.

 “Nah, I meant it when I said I have nothing to do. I’m an unemployed bum, remember?”

“You could always work for the music store near your apartment,” Junhui pointed out.

“I already sent—“

“Sorry, I’m late!” A frazzled voice cut through the air; Jisoo didn’t notice the door opening but standing in the room now was a boy who looked around his age, dressed in the hospital’s all white nurse attire. The only difference was the clear ID strap he had around his neck to signify that he was still a student. He did look particularly panicked, a bit tired as he spoke with a small pant, too. After a few seconds, the intern seemed to have composed himself as he flashed a bright smile towards the room’s patients, and finally at Jisoo.  

Jisoo’s breath caught in his throat. 

For lack of a better word, the boy was gorgeous; dark hair framed his face and the white of the uniform made his lightly tanned skin glow. The contrast of colors managed to heighten the planes and angles of his face too, bringing a manly effect to the general ethereal feel. Jisoo’s never been one to notice these things before, so the sudden rush of emotions left him a bit stumped, and maybe too deaf to hear that the attractive nursing intern was asking him a question until Junhui threw a roll of tissue paper at him.

“Hong Jisoo, you’re the acting adult here, remember?” Junhui said with a knowing look on his face— the Chinese boy had always been keen to these sort of things, and Jisoo regretted showing a sign of weakness. 

Jisoo blinked and turned towards the now clearly amused nurse, “sorry, what did you say?”

“Well, I have the results,” the boy— Yoon Jeonghan, according to his nameplate, thank God for those things— flipped through a clipboard and scanned through it. “The x-rays say that it’s a bit of a minor injury, really. A bit misplaced but the casts should get that fixed soon. Just one night here to make sure they don’t get into any trouble and that they get enough rest.”

“This means I’m excused from school, right?” Soonyoung asked innocently.

“Tomorrow’s a Saturday,” Jisoo deadpanned. 

“What if I’m still in pain by Monday?”

“Soonyoung.”

“Okay, kidding.”

Jeonghan laughed at the whole exchange, and for a split second Jisoo actually almost forgot the nursing student was there until his laugh echoed in the room. It was a nice laugh, boyish and carefree, and it didn’t feel fake like how other nurses would politely smile and look like they were forced to be nice to patients and stuff. Jisoo was suddenly brought back to how bright Jeonghan just seemed, definitely brighter than other medicine students he knew.

He was so close to asking except Junhui interrupted him again by asking about dinner and how Jisoo should treat them to fried chicken, or something like that, Jisoo wasn’t sure because he was focused on Jeonghan’s silently retreating figure. 

“Man,” Junhui said when the door clicked close. “That was so obvious, you’re so whipped.”

Jisoo bought them fried chicken, but only so they’ll shut up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter