End

A life for a life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In my previous fic I was exploring one scenario of what could have happened if Taeil could change time and save Hansol and Mark from the hotel fire. This fic is about what could have happened if Hansol saved himself and Mark from the fire without help from Taeil.

Warning! There will be major character death.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hallway was empty, only a lone figure was travelling through the thin passages. The smoke caused the narrow space to be dull, one could only see a few meters ahead before the dark cloud of smoke would cover the path ahead. The air was heavy, full of the toxic fumes from the smoke.

The brave (or foolish) man had a standard white hotel pillowcase pressed lightly over the bottom half of his face, the material covering his nose and mouth to help prevent himself from inhaling the dark gas. He stepped carefully through the hall, being careful of any possible trip hazards which could have been left in the rush to escape the thick smoke inside the upper floors of the building. 

Hansol travelled quickly, he knew his way around the building better than he knew his own home as he had been a dedicated worker at the hotel for just over two years.

Turning around the corning, he moved towards the room at the end of the 19th floor hallway, to the room where Mark had been staying.

Lee Minhyung, or Mark as most people new him, was a guest at the hotel. He knew the younger boy as he was here visiting Johnny, who was a close friend of Hansol himself, and Jeno, Johnny's younger brother. Hansol had met the boy a few times, mainly during the younger boys visits to Korea. The two had become friends and when Hansol had visited America with Yuta, they had stayed at Mark's apartment for the few they had been there.

Mark had come back to the hotel earlier that day with a foot injury, which he had gotten while playing basket ball only a few hours before. After speaking with him, the younger had promised to change rooms to one on a lower floor, this way he would be able to leave and get back to his room more easily.

Just 20 minutes before Hansol had been sitting, relaxed in the staff room on the 15 floor, enjoying his free time. News of the fires that had been set on the 18th to 20th floors had been sudden, causing panic which was quickly settled by a senior staff member. They were instructed to leave the building in a quiet and calm manner, helping guests leave the building when necessary, and only using the stairs as the lifts had been shut off as a safety precaution.

Following the instructions given, Hansol started to leave the building via the stairs. His escape was halted on the 11th floor when his phone began to buzz, notifying him of an incoming call, looking at the screen he saw 'Mark Lee' displayed on the screen. Thinking the boy had already left the building, Hansol answered the phone so he could reassure the boy that he was safe and on his way out. Before he could speak he heard a choked sob on the phone, thus should have been the warning sign but what Hansol could hear in the background was 10 times worse, the fire alarm. 

"Where are you?" Hansol rushed his sentence. The choked reply he received almost made his heart stop. "I'm in the 19th floor hallway", the boy breathed deeply, trying to keep him sobs back so he could speak clearly into the phone, before he continued "I couldn't leave, my foot-" Hansol interrupted,  a look of understanding dawned on his face,  "you injured it early, I thought you were changing rooms, so it would be easier to leave the building" Hansol quickly turned and started heading back up the stairs.

"I was going to do it, but I needed some help. I was about to call the front desk when the alarms started going off. I tried to use the elevators but they weren't working, so I called you." Hansol unconsciously nodded his head in understanding, his face serious as he realised the boy could be in danger if he stayed in the hall. "Mark I need you to calm down" he could tell the boy was close to panic by the deep breaths he could hear from the phone end of the phone. Hearing a noise of acknowlegdement from the boy, he continued. "I'm on my way help you, but first I need you to go back to your room-" he was interrupted by Mark but quickly spoke over the younger boy "and cover the bottom of your door with something, it will help to block out the smoke until I get there." 

He was about to hang up when he remembered another thing from is training course. "Before you put iti under your door try and wet it with cold water, it will help to prevent the fire from a few minutes if it does manage to spread."

Hansol listened carefully, his breathing heavy as he continued his journey up the emergency stairs. He heard heard the boy shuffling towards his room, sighing in relief when he heard the door click shut. On the other end he could hear the Mark looking for something, which he assumed was something to cover the bottom of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter