Prologue

Against All Odds

"It's just a fantasy.

Pain comes up like thorns, an empty sign like a night that lost the moon.

My tragedy, if there's only one way that opens.

Please save me,  fantasy."

 


 

I kept my gaze stuck on the people that slowly vanished from the beach club, their faces drowsy and flushed as the alcohol takes over their system. I was nothing more than curious, probably a little on the tipsy side myself, but it wasn’t serious. I pulled my mask over my face, letting the soft black fabric cover half of it, my white fringes falling over my eyes and my black hood pulled up to shadow the rest of my showing features. I had thought about it once, that I will look too obvious and suspicious as I walked down the streets, but no one seemed to mind a hybrid. No glance or odd stare, they just continued on their way. Maybe, that attitude only existed in my fantasies.

 

I was so close to painting my life a deep red, covered with blood and satisfaction due to a perfect revenge, but I handled myself and kept the borders which I stay behind, resolving to spying on him from afar. It sounds weird to say—it’s a sentence you wouldn’t hear everyday. No, I wasn’t stalking him, just gathering useful information.

 

“You’re a fool,” Mark had said, throwing himself onto a pile of comfortable hay in the abandoned warehouse where they were residing at the moment, “You’re better than this.” And he’s right—I am. But, it was the last plan I had promised, my last mistake.

 

I took light footsteps behind him, trying to stay blended in with the shadows. He was wavering, the cause of a long night with heavy alcohol. I wasn’t impressed, smacking my lips together and kissing my teeth. He stopped for a moment, shocking me. I returned home at that point, back to the stable little warehouse which ironically, looked like it was about to collapse on me one day. Mark looked back at me when I slammed the door, his raised eyebrow intimidating me.

 

“And?” I answered him with silence, tossing my mask and hoodie aside tiredly, showing my flattened ears that rested on top of my thick white hair. I walked towards the hay pile and I can tell that he was still waiting for an appropriate answer. I was gone for half of the day and there was no avail in the little ‘mission’ I was on.

 

“Nothing. I got nothing. After a full evening, there’s nothing left to investigate.” I answered, slouching on the uncomfortable hay pile.

 

“So, this is kind of like you’re telling me that you’re giving up.”

 

“No!” I shouted defensively, quickly lowering my voice, “Give me another month. I’ll get him for sure.”

 

“It’s not me you’re doing this for, you know.” Mark brought up, his eyebrows scrunching together and his eyes pooled with memories. I tore my gaze away hesitantly, my orbs wander anywhere, just not him. “Which, I honestly think that you shouldn’t anymore.” He continued to add, and too, I could feel his gaze being lifted off of me. “You can keep on convincing yourself that you’ll get him back—a perfect revenge. But, it’s been awhile and I doubt he’d give in easily.”

 

I held in my breath, a habit I’ve picked up when focusing on something. This time, I was letting his words sink in, my brain working to decode each and every phrase and letter that spilled from his mouth. “Try.”

 

“What?”

 

“I have to try. I found out that he’ll go abroad in the next eight months. This is the last chance I have, Mark!” I didn’t realize the tears that happened to flood my eyes until Mark caught the one that trickled down.

 

I walked away from the hay pile and towards my make-shift bed was formed by an old blanket and a thrown away pillow Ten had found on the streets a while ago. I looked at the sky through the shattered glasses above me, leaving the atmosphere silent.

 

I used to love stargazing. The illuminated moonlight amazed me. Though lonely, stars helped flood the sky. I usually sat in the vacant fields, sprawled across the tall, lush green grass. But, I wasn’t alone like I am now—in a darkened warehouse with hybrids not of my species. I had my mate back then, sitting beside me, fingers running through my hair.

 

The doors slammed and a familiar voice boomed across the vacant area. I sat up abruptly, curiously scanning over his features. “You’re back.” I stated, torn away from my sudden daze. Ten huffed, throwing his jacket across the area. I flinched and Mark walked over to pick it up, throwing it onto the hay pile instead. “Are you alright, Ten?”

 

“No, I’m not.” He continued to huff, his ears flushed red from anger and beads of sweat started forming above his eyebrows, his hands clenched into tight fists. “Why am I even telling you? You wouldn’t understand.”

 

I rolled my eyes, “If you say so,” I smiled slightly, letting myself fall back onto the still soft pillow. “Did you bring back dinner during your storm of anger? I suppose you could’ve killed anything in your path.” I joked, turning my head slightly to catch his reaction. Mirroring me, he rolled his eyes, using his hand to wave me off. I scoffed, sinking back into the pillow with a pout decorating my features. How disrespectful.

 

“Mark, you got anything to eat?” He continued to ask, ignoring me. The youngest shook his head since he’s been lazing around the warehouse the whole entire day.

 

 

“I suppose I’ll be the one gathering food today.” I stated, holding my black hoodie close to my chest, “I’ll be back soon.” I quickly added, chasing myself out of the warehouse.

 

The moon was up tonight, but there were barely any stars. I huffed in disappointment, stuffing my hands in my pocket as I walked. My ears pushed their way up and pushed off the hood of my jacket when I heard shuffling around the place. On instinct, my ears swiveled, tracking down the noise.

 

“Is anyone there?” I shouted, my voice trembling. Shrugging off the weird feeling when I was answered with silence, I continued walking down the barely lit road, carrying myself towards the bakery where they sold loaves of bread—it should be enough for tonight.

 

The bakery was empty like always, darkness engulfed the empty space, suffocating me. I suppose I should be quick. Rummaging through the kitchen, I managed to grab a few loaves. They’re quite stale, but it was the best I could do rather than stealing something new to raise suspicion. They’d want to throw these out anyways.

 

I hummed to myself as I sat on one of the tables, enjoying my time alone and away from Mark and Ten. When I felt safe, I let my eyes flutter closed…

 

“Hey! You’re the thief that stole my hoodie!” A muffled voice yelled through the glass window. He barged into the bakery, standing in front go me angrily. I smirked, giving him a quizzical look. “I’m a lawyer, mind you and I could get you jailed!”

 

“You didn’t want this jacket anyways.” I argued back, smirking when he remained silent.

 

 

After a moment of silence, he looked around, his brown chocolate eyes shaking as if he was contemplating on what he was about to do next, "You know what? You're coming with me."

 

 


 

J I N H E O N N

First of all - on top of all the things I wanted to say to you guys is an apology for taking so long to update. I wasn't satisfied with my first written chapter so I had to rewrite it again and again~ But, what did give me inspiration was VIXX's newly released Fantasy! (Yeah, those were the lyrics in the beginning.) I'm in love with the song and the whole album. But, we're not here to talk about my music taste. Hehe...

But, honestly speaking, I liked writing this chapter, I enjoyed every moment and thrill there was. Things are slow now, but they'll progress pretty soon. Also, this is my first time writing in "first person" so I apologize if it's cringey and awkward. I wanted to try something new.

Thank you, you for reading! Please, state your own opinions, I appreciate it! <3 

Side note: I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes/spelling mistakes.