1/1

if you were a pokémon, i'd choose you

Guardian angels have two rules. One, always look after your assignment. Two, don’t do anything that will make you fall from God’s grace. Thanks to a human with the smile of an angel, Jungkook breaks both rules.

 

When Jungkook turned ten, he became a guardian angel. For the first three years, he had an experienced angel lead him, teaching him the ways of the human world and the proper methods of being a guardian. His first ever assignment was a little girl, Sofia, who lived in an impoverished country without a family. He and Jessica, the mentor angel, watched over the 12-year-old girl as she lived on the streets on her own. Her parents had died that year hence why Jungkook and Jessica had been assigned to her. However, when Jungkook is thirteen and five months old, the little girl is adopted. Therefore, two angels are released from their charge. Sofia’s new parents are kind and warm, treating her truly like family.

 

Between his first and second assignments, Jungkook has some time off. During that free period, Jessica tests him on the human world and the requirements a guardian angel must adhere to. Mainly those two simple rules.  Jungkook is attentive and well-mannered; he listens to everything his mentor tells him though he doesn’t fully ingest the lessons. His past run as a guardian had been difficult, yes, but he had never worried about breaking the rules. Still, he nods diligently at Jessica’s wise words.

 

It had been nearly a year since he had an assignment when he received word that he would be returning to the human world.  Alone.  He was now old enough to be handling an assignment by himself. Of course, he would have to report back to Heaven once every other week.

 

Jungkook was excited, but nervous. He loved Heaven, but he did find the human world to be interesting and incredibly scary. Death, violence, tears, pain – it was so sad. He wondered how the humans without angels protecting them managed to survive. Maybe that’s why they themselves created the evils that existed in the world.

 

Before Jungkook makes his trip back down to the human world, he is thoroughly debriefed. His assignment’s name is Park Jimin. He is 16 and a half, about two years older than Jungkook. He would be Jimin’s first angel. Jimin’s source of pain is apparently has to do with school and loneliness. Jungkook inquires to Jessica about what school is and why it would be put down as a source of pain. Their previous assignment, Sofia, had never gone to school so Jungkook was ignorant on the topic. Jessica only tells him that though some people may have lovely homes and family to take care of them, they can still find hurt and loneliness elsewhere.

 

On September 3rd, Jungkook is dropped off by Yoongi, another angel, to Jimin’s home. The older angel simply says “may God be with you” then he is gone. Jungkook looks at the building in front of him. Then he looks down at his notes. He’s supposed to be looking for apartment number 21. He takes the stairs to the second floor. Immediately he faces Jimin’s residence. He stands there for a few moments and wonders what he should do. Others wouldn’t be able to see him, right? What would happen if he knocked on Jimin’s door and Jimin didn’t answer?

 

Jungkook decided to awkwardly wait outside for his new assignment. He sat cross-legged next to the door. It was mid-morning. Surely, Jimin would eventually leave his home. Jungkook waits and waits. The apartment building is fairly quiet. He can faintly hear the sounds of people talking inside their respective apartments, but that’s basically it.

 

He surprises himself by nodding off to sleep. Guardian angels don’t need to sleep long. Really a few hours a night is more than enough. Even if you’re tired, you are often too nervous to sleep for something urgent could have to your human. But Jungkook was either so tired or so bored or both from waiting.

 

He instantly wakes up when he hears the door opens. A boy exits and begins walking toward the elevator. Jimin. Jungkook instinctively thinks. He scrambles to follow him to the elevator. Jimin notices someone is behind him so he keeps the elevator door open.

 

“Thanks,” Jungkook stutters out. He is incredibly nervous right now. Finally, he is meeting his new assignment! His first time alone as a guardian angel. Jimin nods, not looking at him. They ride the elevator in silence. Jungkook gets off at the same floor as Jimin and quietly follows him. He tries to keep some distance so he doesn’t seem like a stalker, which he kind of is looking like one right now. But that’s beside the point. When Jungkook had entered the apartment building, it had been light out. Now it was nearly pitch black. He follows Jimin to a nearby convenience store. The boy moves with a purpose, shorter legs walking at a pace Jungkook almost couldn’t keep up with. In the store, he awkwardly stands in a far corner. He’s far enough to not be breathing down Jimin’s neck while in the perfect position to see Jimin’s every move. Jungkook watches as Jimin stuffs a few water bottles, two candy bars, and some kind of card into his shopping basket. He figures Jimin is almost done with choosing his items so he casually-not-so-casually walks out the door and hangs around the exit.

 

This guardian angel business is seriously so awkward.

 

When Jimin leaves the store and enters the dark night, the two exchange stares. Jungkook can’t make out what the other boy’s facial expression means since he’s still not very experienced with humans. However, he can feel the little waves of hesitation and fear coming off of him.

 

“Hi,” Jungkook says and sticks out his right hand. Jimin switches the plastic bag to his right hand and shakes Jungkook’s hand with his own left one.

 

“Hello.” His voice is soft and kind, though he still seems uncomfortable.

 

“My name is Jungkook. Nice to meet you, Jimin.”

 

“Okay.” Jimin nods and begins walking in the direction of his apartment building before he stops mid-step and sees Jungkook trailing him. Again.

 

“W-wait a second. How do you know my name? Are we classmates? You look about my age, but I don’t remember a kid like you around,” Jimin stammers out. This Jungkook kid looks too pure and sweet to be a student from his high school. His skin was clear and glowing, and stature was so proper. If anything, he probably attended that private school of the neighboring city.

 

“Oh, I’m your guardian angel.”

 

“What.” Jungkook understands his confusion and does his best to explain the situation. He even shows Jimin his notes.

 

“Sure.” Jimin sounds skeptical though he allows Jungkook to accompany him home. Jungkook looked weak and harmless and very young. He figured he could take the kid on if he needed to.

 

✧✧

 

It’s been a few weeks of having Jungkook around. Though honestly Jimin often forgets about the angel for he is so quiet.

 

It’s Sunday early afternoon. His homework has been completed since Friday immediately after school. To pass the time (and earn some kiss-up points), he’s been helping his mother in the kitchen when she suddenly suggested he go hang out with some friends.

 

“Why? Don’t you like my company?” He pouts, knowing his mother would squish his cheeks and coo over him.

 

“Of course, baby. You’ve been helpful all day, which I am thankful of, but I think it would be nice for at least one of us to enjoy the beautiful day. Your father had to work an emergency shift so he won’t be back until dinner time.” His mother stirred the ingredients around in the pot. At the same time, the cookies Jimin had prepared were baking in the oven.

 

“My friends are all busy…” Jimin fibbed. He hated lying to his mother, but it couldn’t be helped. It would be far too embarrassing for his parents to know that yeah actually their son is a loser and all his middle school friends dropped him for the popular crowd. Freshmen year had only started a month ago, and it was already looking to be the worst year ever.

 

“You always say that.” He stopped cutting the lettuce to look over at his mother. The overhead fan is blowing at maximum speed, but Jimin can still feel himself began to sweat. She gave him a look that could only mean his lie was losing its power. He couldn’t blame her. It’s been the fourth week in a row that he’s used the same excuse.

 

“I’ll just go play video games in my room when I finish preparing the salad,” He says nonchalantly. Though internally, he begs his mother won’t ask any more questions.

 

“Minnie, you should go outside and do something!” She presses further. She places the top on the pot and leans backwards on the countertop to face him. “Get some exercise. I love your chubby cheeks, but I think exercise would be useful. Since your friends are busy all the time, maybe you can find yourself a lady friend.” She giggles a bit into the back of her hand.

 

Jimin hears another set of laughter, jumps, and almost cuts his finger in the process. He drops the knife and twists his head to look into the living room. Jimin had totally forgotten about his guardian angel, Jungkook. Jungkook had that sort of non-existent presence, probably because he was shy. Or maybe, because he was an angel. One of the two things, if not both. Jimin had an idea.

 

“Mom, you’re right. I think I’ll go and play that new game. You know, Pokémon Go? That way I can play and get exercise. Kill two birds with one stone, right?” He said, hurriedly. His mother raised her eyebrows at his sudden behavior, but he didn’t give her a chance to protest because he ran to his bedroom. Jimin quickly gathered his things and made a move to walk to through the doorway when he crashed into Jungkook.

 

“S-sorry,” The angel stuttered out. He quickly moved to the side to let Jimin pass before following him.

 

“See you later, mom!” Jimin called out.

 

The two walked out of the building together.

 

“I downloaded the game when it came out in Korea, but hadn’t played it to now. I might as well play it, I guess. It’s all everyone is talking about online,” Jimin said mostly to himself. Jungkook walked beside him, discreetly peering over Jimin’s shoulder to see the app load.

 

“It seems fun,” Jungkook commented. He didn’t know much about games or apps. The knowledge he had about them came from the news or Jimin.

 

“It didn’t even load yet!”

 

“Oh. Well, I heard on the news this morning, that lots of people play it. So it must be fun.” Jimin didn’t reply back, thoughts solely on trying to think of a username. After several unsuccessful tries, he settles with “Jimochi”. He was a big fan of mochi ice cream. Plus, his mom liked to call him that sometimes due to his chubby cheeks.

 

“That’s a cute name,” Jungkook commented. He watched as Jimin selected brown hair and other options for his avatar.

 

“Thanks. I just wanted a simple Jimin or Park Jimin, but that’s what I get for having such a common name.” He huffed a bit. The game began syncing with his GPS and he lifts the phone and moves around. The noisy afternoon traffic and sounds of people walking by muffle out the quiet statement the angel had made.

 

(Cute name, just like you). Jungkook feels his face heating up and he’s glad Jimin was too distracted to have heard him.

 

“Where shall we go?” Jimin says after a while. They had been walking aimlessly along the sidewalk not too far from Jimin’s apartment building.

 

“How about the park? I would like to see some birds.” Jungkook mutters. At the same time, a leaf falls from a tree and lands on Jimin’s head. He doesn’t notice at all, too busy trying to catch his first Pokémon, a Rattata. After a few steps, Jungkook quietly lifts the leaf from his head and ruffles his hair a bit. Jimin smiles up at him.

 

The crosswalk light is white. They’re crossing the street when a car speeds on by. Just in time, Jungkook wraps an arm around Jimin and pulls him tightly into him, and spins them around so that it is Jungkook who is the closest to the car. The car is propelled to the left several feet. To any onlooker it would seem like the car’s driver jerked the wheel and swerved to the left at the right moment. However, they both know that the force came from Jungkook, and not some cool action movie driving. The driver honks a few times and yells something loudly, and then is gone.

 

Jungkook guides them across the street. When they make it to the other side, Jimin stops and hugs Jungkook. “Thanks, Kook. You seriously saved my life.” Jungkook can hear the rapid heartbeat against his own. He takes a moment to enjoy the hug before he pulls away.

 

“Just doing my job.”

 

✧✧

 

They weren’t the only ones with the idea to go to the park today. Or the only Pokémon Go players there. The park is cluttered with toddlers, parents, high schoolers, college aged kids. People of all age groups and genders. Jungkook happily notes there are many birds too, nestled in the tree branches above all of the humans.

 

(Jimin once asked him why he was so obsessed with birds. It took him awhile to come up with an answer; his conclusion being that birds, with their majestic little wings, were the closest thing to an angel one could find on Earth. Jimin had scoffed, declaring that Jungkook thinks so because he’s only seen swans and snipes.

 

“I’m sure all birds are beautiful,” Jungkook says seriously.

 

“Well that may very well be true, but they’re not so beautiful when you’re stepping in geese poop or being attacked by a seagull” was the only reply he got.)

 

Jimin excitedly yelps each time he catches a Pokémon. “Oh my God, I just got a Pidgey and two Spearows and a Zubat!” Jungkook smiled widely at how happy Jimin was. They walked around the park, Jungkook's arm glued around Jimin. Of course, he wanted to stick closely to Jimin to protect him. In the time that he's downloaded the game, he's become easily invested and if the app was open, then he was easily distracted.

 

(Additionally, Jungkook secretly enjoyed the comfort of human contact. Enjoyed the warmth radiating off of Jimin).

 

Jimin had leveled up to the fourth level, nearing the fifth level, by the time Jungkook had realized how late in the day it was. The sun was still visible though it was slowly making its way downwards in the sky, leaving a path of pinkness. More importantly, it was almost dinner time.

 

“We should head back up,” Jungkook commented. He didn't want to sound bossy, but he's been watching the news lately. Playing that app game at night can be quite dangerous. Yeah, Jungkook’s job was to protect and his powers had proved to be strong enough to save Jimin from that car earlier. Still there's no need to put Minnie in danger.

 

Jimin started to whine, but he then his stomach growled. “Okay. You’re right. Let’s go.”

 

 ✧✧

 

On the way to school, Jimin happily catches a Psyduck. He declares, “Today will be a good day.” Jungkook nods in response.

 

The day started out well. Jungkook sat patiently with Jimin through his classes; he didn’t really mind school. Since he wasn’t actually a student, and since no one, but Jimin could see him, he didn’t have to worry about tests or homework. Jungkook soaked in as much information as he could from the lessons. The human world was quite interesting. Korean and English classes were probably his favorite class periods. The two languages were so different, and Jungkook found it both cool and unfortunate how apparently there are endless languages and dialects in the human world. In heaven, everyone can understand each other without an issue, however, it is a bit boring that everyone speaks the same language.

 

Plus, during class time, while the other boy was diligently taking notes, he could stare at Jimin all he wanted.

 

During lunchtime, Jimin sits alone. The third time Jungkook came with him to school, he had asked Jimin why, but he didn’t receive a response. He could tell that’s not how it should be because everyone else in the cafeteria sat with someone else or with a group of people. Yet it was only him and Jimin sitting at this circular table. And technically Jungkook doesn’t count since, excluding Jimin, no one else can see him.

 

Jungkook doesn’t know if it’s because he’s a guardian angel or because he really cares for the smaller boy, or it’s a mixture of both, either way it hurts to see Jimin so down. So he tries to get Jimin to laugh by making funny faces. Unfortunately, Jimin doesn’t look up even when his name is called. He simply continues staring into his food, eating slowly.

 

Jungkook waves in front of Jimin’s face. The other boy only glances up for a second before returning to his food.

 

“Why do you hate lunchtime so much? The food always looks so delicious and at least you’re relaxing, and not taking any tests or stuff.” Jungkook tries not to pout, but he can’t help it. He wishes he could experience the different flavors and textures of food in the human world, but once he had tried something called “fire hot wings” when he was with Jessica. She had warned him not to and he regretted not listening to her because his mouth was on fire and his throat and stomach hurt immediately after swallowing the food. Apparently the food humans ate was too strong for angels.

 

“Yeah, I guess.” Jimin pushes his tray away from him and leans forward to place his hands in his palms. His face looks extra squishy and Jungkook stops himself from poking Jimin’s cute cheeks.

 

 “I don’t know. I used to love lunchtime. I would look forward to it. However, that was back when I actually had friends. Had people to talk to.” Jimin closes his eyes and sighs.

 

“Well, you can talk to me.” Jungkook mimics Jimin’s position, placing his hands in his palms, too.

 

When Jimin’s opens his eyes, they are warm and with only a hint of sadness. “True.”

 

✧✧

 

“How many Pokémon do you have?” They were walking around the town again.

 

“About 200 I think. Wait a second.” Jimin abruptly stopped and Jungkook looked around to see if there was someone he knew or something. Nope. It turned out that the restaurant to their left was a PokeStop.

 

“Nice. I got a lucky egg from that stop.”

 

“Great.” Jungkook silently applauds himself for remembering what that means. Before he had assumed the lucky eggs were the same as Pokémon eggs. This little confusion had prompted Jimin to give him a full-on lecture on the ins and outs of the game. He learned what items one can receive and what gyms were. Also, which Pokémon were desirable and undesirable. In theory, he understands that the bird types are ubiquitous and are disliked by most since they can be found everywhere. Still his love for birds in the human world extended to the virtual world as well.

 

“Oh look! There’s a Fearow.” Jimin gave him a judging look with his cheeks puffed out. Jungkook poked his cheek and murmured a “cute”.

 

“Fine, I’ll catch it just for you.”

 

✧✧

 

They ended up near a college campus because according to Jimin, the campus had like a million PokeStops. In a short time, they had definitely walked at least two miles. Jungkook suggested they stop at an ice cream shop on the way back or else Jimin would get overheated. Summer was steadily approaching and the temperature was high even at five in the afternoon.

 

“Cookies and cream is like the best flavor. Well, after green tea mochi ice cream that is.” Jungkook watched as Jimin swirled the spoon into the ice cream and shoved it in his mouth. Ice cream seemed to really make him happy.

 

They sat in comfortable silence until a couple of kids around their age walked in. Jimin made eye contact with someone, which caused him to immediately flinch and return his gaze to his ice cream. Jungkook whipped his head around and tried to guess which teenager could have made Jimin react like that. The three friends all seemed like normal kids. No one looked like a troublemaker or anything.

 

“Jimin, what’s wrong?”

 

“N-nothing,” he whispered. He could feel his skin heat up as they got closer. Jimin hoped the classmates who walked in wouldn’t notice him, that they would walk by and sit anywhere except here. However, luck wasn’t on his side today. He must’ve used his daily allotted luck on finding that Nidoking with 600 CP.

 

“Oh, wait, isn’t that Jimin?” Wheein stopped in her tracks. Jimin could tell that his hands were shaking so he chose to let the spoon fall into the cup and hide away his hands underneath the table. He looked up to see her piercing eyes followed his every moment. Wheein. His ex-friend and ex-crush. They kind of dated in middle school, but she, along with Jisoo and all of his friends, had dropped him for the popular crowd.

 

Jisoo walked backwards and stood next to Wheein in front of the table. “Huh? You’re right. Hi, Jiminnie.” Jimin stiffly nodded his head.

 

“H-hey Wheein, Jisoo. W-what’s up?” Wheein and Jisoo mostly looked the same, but like upgraded versions of themselves. Wheein’s lips were a pretty red, probably wearing lip gloss or lip stick, and Jisoo’s hair was styled up. Both wore fancy designer clothing. It hadn’t been too long ago when all three of them were wearing nerdy pop culture t-shirts and basic blue jeans. Jimin was thankful at least that he was sitting so they wouldn’t see how plain his outfit was. A Team Mystic t-shirt and baggy gym shorts.

 

“Nothing much. Also, I go by the name Joshua now,” his tone was kind. Jisoo, no Joshua was always the nice one. Kind or not, Jimin could feel the difference between him and the three friends.

 

“S-sorry.”

 

“Why are you eating alone?” Jimin is about to reply with an “I’m not alone” when he remembers Jungkook is his guardian angel so the others can’t see him. In that moment, he glances over at the angel. Jungkook is currently glaring daggers at them. Jimin wonders if they can feel anything.

 

“You know.” Jimin nervously tries to explain with hands. The result being him hitting the spoon, causing it to hit himself in the face with some melted ice cream. Wheein chuckles and Jimin internally curses himself out. Why can’t he be cool for once?

 

Just when he’s about to wipe his face with the back of his hand, the guy, who he doesn’t know, dabs his face with a napkin.

 

“Since these losers didn’t introduce me yet…Hi Jimin! I’m Taehyung.” The guy, Taehyung, smiles widely. Jimin doesn’t trust himself to verbally respond so he hesitantly smiles back. Taehyung plops his ice cream cup down on the table and slides in next to Jimin in the booth.

 

“I see that you’re wearing a Team Mystic shirt. Though unfortunately we can’t be friends.” In the span of five seconds, Jimin’s heart rose and fell.

 

“Because I’m on Team Valor!” Taehyung shoved his phone in Jimin’s face. He pulled away when he realized Jimin couldn’t see anything with the phone that close to his face.

 

Jimin watched as Taehyung scrolled through his Pokémon. Jimin noted how Taehyung had renamed most of his Pokémon. “We can be frenemies?”

 

“Nah, I’m just kidding.” Jimin looked over to see Wheein and Joshua sitting opposite from them, quietly talking. Jungkook was to the left of them, looking out of the window.

 

“Look.” Jimin returned his attention to Taehyung. On his phone screen was a Clefairy named Jimin.

 

“Jimin?”

 

“Jimin! I name all my cute Pokémon after cute people like myself or my friends. Like my Jigglypuff is named Seokjin after my older brother because they’re both very cute and they both have the power to put people to sleep! My brother is always nagging me and my natural response is to sleep. But I didn’t know what to name my Clefairy because, between you and me, Clefairy is like the cutest original Pokémon ever. Cuter than Pikachu even. Whenever I catch one, I wish I could cuddle with it. So cute.” He rambled on without taking a breath.

 

Jimin blinked with his mouth agape.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You didn’t hear what I said?” Taehyung frowned slightly.

 

Jimin furrowed his eyebrows. Then he remembered that his mouth was still agape. He quickly closed it and his lips nervously. “No, I mean, huh. Like I heard you, but. Huh.”

 

“What Taehyung means is that he thinks you’re cute like a Clefairy. Jeez, he’s such a nerd, why do we hang out with him again?” Wheein rolled her eyes. And Jungkook. Jungkook watched the conversation with an unreadable expression on his face. Jimin looked back at Taehyung to see him nodding in agreement with Wheein.

 

“Okay. You’re Oddish, but I don’t mind.” Jimin waited to see if Taehyung would react to his pun.

 

Five.

 

Four.

 

“Oh my God, Jimin, you’re already my favorite person ever. I always tell Wheein and Joshua Pokémon puns, but they only get the Pikachu ones.” Taehyung unexpectedly gave Jimin a side hug causing him to squeak in surprise.

 

“I-I’m glad you liked it.” Taehyung began to throw out some puns of his own, but Wheein quickly told him to shut up so his attention went to his ice cream.

 

Taehyung ate, more like drunk, his melted vanilla ice cream. He was sure a noisy eater. They all chatted. Well, Jungkook watched everything silently, of course and Jimin stuttered a few sentences out. Taehyung was talkative and seemed to be passionate about everything. Wheein acted cool and collected though her fiery side came out when Taehyung casually said the best girl group has been and will always be Girls’ Generation. Wheein vehemently argued a case for the Wonder Girls as the best girl group of all time. Joshua playfully interrupted with a “You’re both wrong. Obviously SHINee is the best girl group.” Joshua won that round.

 

✧✧

 

When the three classmates had approached the table, Jungkook was ready to fight for Jimin. Never mind the fact he can’t go around fighting humans. That’s not how the guardian angel thing worked. But he could tell how uncomfortable they had made Jimin feel. Then the mood had changed and suddenly they were all friends. Still he didn’t necessarily trust them.

 

As time went on, he began seeing them hang around Jimin. No longer did they have lonely lunches. Sometimes Wheein, Joshua, and Taehyung would sit with Jimin. Other times, only Wheein and Taehyung. Nearly every day Taehyung sat with them. He would buy the school lunch with Jimin though he would pull out a snack or two from his backpack. He would always offer snack to Jimin even if he only had one with him that day.

 

It was good. Everything was good. Jimin started to become more talkative and assertive. More importantly, he was happier. He looked forward to lunch and would whisper to Jungkook each morning that he couldn’t wait until lunchtime. He skipped to school each day with a smile on his face.

 

It was great. Everything was great. Jimin was happy. So happy. Therefore, Jungkook was happy, too, right? Yes, he was happy. As he trailed after Jimin, he told himself he was happy because Jimin was happy.

 

That’s how it should have been.

 

Instead.

 

Instead, it was awkward, frustrating, painful. Everything was awkward, frustrating, painful. When Jimin blushed at Taehyung’s compliments and giggled a “thanks”, he wished he could get the same reaction from the smaller boy.

 

✧✧

 

Once an assignment’s source of pain is gone, the guardian angel, too, will be gone. That’s how it worked.

 

Taehyung was a lovely boy for the most part. Jungkook did think he was sometimes too rowdy and had too much energy. He couldn’t sit still and whenever he greeted Jimin at school, he was always so loud and obnoxious. Jungkook didn’t think Taehyung was ever quiet. Maybe when he was sleepy, that’s it. Though these things weren’t that important. It was simply Jungkook being nitpicky because most of all, Taehyung could always make Jimin smile a real smile. Jimin smiled at everyone – teachers, screaming babies, even strangers. However, whenever Taehyung did something stupid like wear his shoes on the wrong foot or something sweet like offer Jimin the last gum in the pack, Jimin’s eyes would shine so bright before they disappeared completely as his smile overtook his face.

 

Times like that Jungkook thought he would be fine with moving on because Jimin would be in great care with Taehyung.

 

He had slowly come to accept the inevitable until he received a lecture from Jessica. He had returned to Heaven to update the status of his assignment. Typical angel duties. Jessica was seriously an experienced angel for she sensed something was off with him. He tried to hide the bubbling jealous, tried to play innocent. That didn’t work. In the end, he confessed the truth. She gave him a warning and reminded him the basics he had forgotten about.

 

See, while humans can see their respective guardian angels and interact with them, once the human no longer needs his or her guardian, the memories fade away. Jungkook had completely forgotten about this part. He could live with not being with Jimin. He could not live with the thought of Jimin not even remembering him at all. He had cared for Sofia, yes, though he would never see her again, Jungkook still thought of her as his younger sister. However, his feelings toward Jimin were different. Knowing that one day Jimin would forget him hurt. It made his heart feel overfilled with what humans called jealousy. Knowing that every day he would think of Jimin – his bright smile, quiet giggles, warm heart. But Jimin wouldn’t be thinking of Jungkook. Jungkook would be more insignificant than the toys children grow out of. He wouldn’t even be a memory.

 

It would be as if Jungkook had never met Jimin. As if he had never held his hand when he was scared to walk down the school’s hallway. As if he had never wiped his tears away after a jerk called him a name. As if he hadn’t spent every lunchtime with Jimin trying to lift his mood. If anything, with Jungkook completely blotted out from Jimin’s memory, Jimin’s brain would likely attribute all of these actions to Taehyung.

 

Jungkook couldn’t let that happen.

 

And that’s when it happened.

 

Taehyung was over Jimin’s place. They innocently watched old anime episodes together on Jimin’s bed, lying down, elbows touching every so often. But when Taehyung turned his head and kissed Jimin on the cheek, he lost it. The frustration was too much and he hissed in pain. Jimin jerked his head away from Taehyung to find the source of the sound.

 

Ignorant of Jungkook’s existence, Taehyung asked, “What’s wrong?”

 

Jimin ignored him and called out to Jungkook. He scrambled off the bed when he didn’t hear a reply. Jungkook always replied. On the floor was Jungkook, writhing in pain.

 

“Oh my God. What happened?” Jimin had no idea what he should do. His guardian angel was in pain, something he didn’t know was even possible until a moment ago. Angels can get hurt? He held Jungkook’s trembling form, unsure what to do. Taehyung stood over him in confusion. He had given up on receiving an answer as to why Jimin jumped up from the bed and was now on the floor, holding nothing.

 

Jungkook continued to shake and tremble and then he went still. Taehyung crouched down and wiped away Jimin’s tears. Jimin didn’t even realize he was crying.

 

“Jungkook.” All he could do was hold Jungkook in his arms and murmur his name repeatedly. It seemed like an eternity had passed when the boy in his arms began moving. Jimin hadn’t noticed before until now that Jungkook always had a glowing aura around him as if to remind Jimin who Jungkook was. A beautiful angel – a protector, his protector. Yet now that aura was no longer there. Everything else was the same.

 

Except.

 

Taehyung stood up so quickly he felt lightheaded. “What the heck? Who is this?”


Except now Taehyung could see Jungkook, too.

 

Jimin turned to look at Taehyung. “You can see him?”

 

“Yes. Um, what the heck is going on? One second you were holding air, nothingness, and I assumed you had lost your mind, which is fine. Strange or not, you’re still the cutest Clefairy around,” Jimin blushed. He secretly loved when Taehyung called him Clefairy; he had to admit it was one of the cutest Pokémon around. “But now t-there’s a kid in your arms? When before there was only air. Maybe I’m the strange one”.

 

“Tae, you are weird. Your rambling only makes sense like 60% of the time.” Taehyung whined in protest when Jungkook coughed.

 

“It…He’s awake. Seriously, Jimin what’s going on?”

 

Jungkook winced in pain and slowly opened his eyes. His heart thumps as how close Jimin is to his face.

 

“You’re okay!” And suddenly Jimin is hugging him tightly. The hug was painful since his back, really his whole body, felt like it was on fire. Yet he couldn’t bear to squirm away.

 

“Hello, stranger,” Taehyung sits cross-legged on the floor. He leans into Jungkook’s face, examining the boy who came from nowhere.

 

“Hello, Taehyung.” Jimin released Jungkook from the tight embrace, finally noticing how the other was in pain.

 

Taehyung looked at Jimin and then looked at Jungkook and then looked back at Jimin. “Um, how does he know my name?”

 

From there, Jungkook and Jimin took turns telling the story from the beginning (“I became a guardian angel in training at ten years old” – Jungkook) to the present (“Tae, can see you now so that means” – Jimin, “Yeah, I don’t think I’m an angel anymore” – Jungkook).

 

After the whole explanation, Taehyung only has a one-worded answer: “Cool.

 

✧✧

 

So Jungkook lost his home, his job, and his wings. And he still didn’t win Jimin’s heart. What a loser he is. A love loser without a lover. Jungkook glances over at the couple.

 

Currently, the three of them were relaxing in Taehyung’s apartment in his living room, watching the latest superhero movie. The couch was really meant for two people so it felt crowded. Really Jungkook should’ve sat on the chair next to the couch, but Jimin had insisted all three of them cuddle. Jungkook was regretting how easily he answers yes to all of Jimin’s desires.

 

“I love you, Jiminnie~”

 

“I love you more, Tae~” Jungkook squirmed at their love declarations. He was able to get up to move to the chair when Jimin pulled him into a headlock and ruffled his hair. “And I love you, Jungkook.” His ears tinged red when Jimin kissed him on the forehead.

 

“Jimin, stop teasing him. His ears are so red now.” Taehyung laughed loudly.

 

“They are not.” It was a fib. He always blushed when Jimin gave him attention like this. He huffed a bit and untangled himself from Jimin. The other simply gave him a radiant smile.

 

Taehyung broke the sweet moment with a burp. The two gave him matching disgusted looks. “So the other day I caught a female Nidoran, and I thought to myself, doesn’t it remind you of someone? It took me ten minutes or so, but I realized Jungkook totally looks one.” Jimin immediately giggled and agreed with Taehyung.

 

“Pokémon this, Pokémon that.” Truthfully, Jungkook did know which Pokémon Taehyung was talking about though he wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be a compliment or an insult. Its two front teeth were huge.

 

“Jungkook, please, I heard you singing the theme song the other day,” Jimin giggled again. Jungkook tried to be embarrassed, but he didn’t mind too much. The song was catchy. Plus, Jimin’s giggles were always a pleasure to hear.

 

“Whatever,” He said, no bite in this voice.

 

At this point, the movie is really background noise. None of them are paying it any attention. Jimin gets a notification from his phone and rapidly pulls his phone from his pocket, elbowing both Taehyung and Jungkook in the process.

 

“The heck, Jimin.” “Rude.” Jimin ignores their whines and immediately starts laughing loudly. The two boys try to see what could have possibly made him laugh. He blocks the screen from their view.

 

“Okay. This tweet, okay, I can’t even.”

 

“What!” Taehyung pokes Jimin’s side repeatedly.

 

“Do you know Dig? Because you just dug your way straight to my heart.” Jimin waited in anticipation for their reactions.

 

“I don’t know that Pokémon,” was Jungkook’s answer. Jimin looked expectedly at Taehyung. Jungkook checked to see if Taehyung was still breathing or something because the older boy was almost never quiet for more than a few seconds, and at least twenty seconds had passed by. He saw that Taehyung’s eyes were twinkling in joy

 

“Jimin…Jiminnie…Baby, that was like the most romantic thing anyone has ever said to me.” Jungkook wasn’t quick enough to hide his eyes so he witnessed the full glory of Taehyung kissing Jimin full-on.

 

“We’re not even playing Pokémon Go right now, but…you caught me.” Jimin giggled at his boyfriend and smacked him on the shoulder lightly.

 

All Jungkook could do was face-palm. 

 


posted: 160804

word count: 6,209

 

~

i wrote this for a friend's birthday (and also because i love pokemon go lol). probably the only time i'll ever post a fic without :O

the story is completed...however, i could write a few related drabbles if anyone is interested in that...

anyway, thanks for you reading ♥♥♥