That day.

Thursday

 

 

The day he came into my life was like a perfect little dream. So perfect that I never realized it was all being real. He landed his eyes on mines, like if I had some kind of magnetism that call up to them, and suddenly, a curve started to form on his lips. He was smiling at me and I automatically smile back at him. How can I not? He made my insides burn like a bonfire. I couldn’t feel my own heart. He got close to me and invited me to dance. My answer was positive, I believe since that night I never say no to him.

 

His voice, his fragrance, his hold on my waist and my hands, it was like everything fit in with my own body. To be honest, I never considered myself pretty enough to call the attention of a guy like him. Actually, I was not good in my past relationships because according to them “I didn’t seem to like myself much”, so after that unfortunate information, I decided to change. To put a bit of attention on me. To think on me first for once in my life. I accepted to go with my friends to a club as the first step and the world returned all the good things that I did for it and brought him to me.

 

After two years of being dating, he asked me to marry him and the happiness that crept on me that day was unbelievable, there were no fireworks but I could hear them exploding on the sky, there was no angels or music but I could hear them singing beautiful melodies on our ears.

 

“I love you so much” he told me, and I felt that finally I found the right one.

 

He constantly took me to Mokpo, where his family used to live before moving to Seoul. Mokpo is the kind of city where you find some peace from the crazy cement jungle and the tall scary skyscrapers. It was the place where you could only hear the sound of the wind dancing with your hair and crashing against your soul, the soul you could never connect with in the capital. 

 

But that day was different, that day was special. We were on Madrid Spain, where he had to hold a very important meeting with some investors for his real estate firm, looks like this deal could make people in South Korea buy houses in Spain and vice versa, it was a very lucrative deal and he was proud of all the hard work he made by himself. The night before, he arrived to the hotel room with a big smile on his face, he hugged me tight and lift me from the floor. The deal was successful and he told me that everything was over; we could go back to South Korea any time now but as he knew I felt a bit alone in this place, he wanted to spend more time with me here and go to places we couldn’t see before. That’s what we did that night. Holding hands while walking the city and buying gift and cute thing for our friends in Seoul. The last thing we did was prepare a new trip; we called Train Station Tour from Atocha Station in Arganzuela, the province we’re staying at to Cercanias.

 

I went first as he had things to do before leaving the city. He told me he was going to be here at six but it was already seven and I couldn’t see him anywhere. I found a bench and I sat there with my suitcase at my side. People keep arriving and leaving, I can hear the trains. I look at the clock glued to the wall and two hours have already passed. Where is he? I started to get worry. Maybe something happened. A cold breeze froze my bones and my heart started to beat uncontrollably. I could feel my phone vibrating on my pocket but as I don’t want to get any bad news, I don’t want to answer. It was already nine; three hours waiting for him.

 

I was about to start crying when suddenly a pair of lips touched my cheek. I turned around abruptly, it was him.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late princess. There is a massive traffic jam and I had to walk all the way here, I was calling you but you didn’t answer” 

 

“It’s ok” I can’t remember how long I hugged him. “Should we go?”

 

He smiled at me and grabbed my hand. “You’re cold”

 

“Don’t worry about it”

 

We walked towards the car of the train and sat on the seats close to the door. There were a lot of people around. And I was enchanted by their accent and language. After putting our suitcase on their position we notice a guy leaving behind his own suitcase. That was strange for us, but it was not our business.

 

The train started to move and ten minutes after we could hear a loud noise. It was horrible, like a big explosion. We all look around but the intercom didn’t say anything and the train keep on going as everything was alright. Suddenly the train stopped. The doors opened and some people started to leave the car. This was not our station so we stayed still on our position. The intercom was still in silence and the previous noise did not bother us anymore. It started to move again. I could hear the wheels sliding the rails. He grabbed my hand and rested his head on my shoulder. “Can I read with you?” He asked me. I got closer to him just so he could read with me.  

But the train stopped again. The doors got open one more time and suddenly we realized we were alone. There was no one with us, no people around.

 

This is the first time I see him so… lost and confused. He stood up and went to the other car. It was empty.

 

He came to me and said that everything was ok but I could see that horrific look on his face.The doors reminded open and we could see the moon started to draw on the sky. It was night already. 

 

He sat next to me “Let’s sleep, ok? Maybe the train broke down”

 

“Are we very far from the other station?” I asked him.

 

“I couldn’t see anything, is very dark” He paused for a moment. “Maybe they are working on the engine”

 

He said all those things with such a security.

 

“How do you know that?”

 

“Don’t you trust me?” I nodded at him and he tapped his shoulder. "Come.." He told me.

 

 

 

The next morning, I woke up alone. I looked for him everywhere and scared me to see that this time everything was different. The car had a huge hole, like if an explosion occurred, the seats were everywhere and all I could call was his name in a whisper.

 

I spotted him sitting on a bench. His eyes glued to only one place. It was like a lost stare, he wasn’t scared anymore, he looked sad; his eyes were puffy and red. I felt my world collapsed, I wanted to wipe the pain away. When I was walking slowly towards him, he looked at me and smiled… but not the same smile he always give me when we were together, it was a painful smile. He got up and extended his arms and when I reached him, he hugged me, so tight, it looked like he wanted to emerge in one being with me.

 

“All you have to do from now on is love me, ok?”

 

“I already know that”

 

He kissed my forehead and breathes harshly. I could feel his chest moving up and down rapidly. “Baby, I’m sorry”  It was difficult for him to say that. The words didn't want to leave his throat. He turned my body around and I faced the saddest moment of my life.

 

 

 

We were dead.

 

 

 

There were people crying on the floor, blood everywhere, pieces of human parts inside and out the destroyed car of the train. There were white blankets covering the horrible dead bodies of some of the passengers, police and medical crew running around yelling this was a “terrorist attack” and then... I saw us. Our bodies, still together and under one white blanket too. I know who I am, the ring still on my finger and I know who he is, I give him that sweater as a gift in his birthday.

 

My tears, I couldn’t control my tears. Our future is no longer there. We are no longer there. The sound of the bomb. It felt not real but we were there. The bomb exploded on our car. I can imagine our bodies. I bet they are destroyed, ruined, nobody will recognized us. I turned around and hugged him, tears violently falling from my eyes. I felt his arms around my back and the pressure of his hug.

 

“Remember when I told you that I wanted to be with you beyond death” He asked me between sobs. I know he’s crying too, he just wanted to be strong for me. “Well… I really mean it but I didn’t though it would be this soon”

 

He managed to make me laugh, at least a bit.

 

“Our families will be devastated” I said against his chest.

 

“I know… thousands of families will” He made a long pause. “But at least we’re together”

 

I looked up at him. His puffy-red eyes piercing mines. 

 

“I love you Dara”

 

“I love you too, Hae”