Jiwon

Where's The Good in Goodbye?

It’s almost four o’clock; thirty minutes late from the exact time she told me to come. The sun began to set, its pale color started turning more yellowish against the fluffy clouds. Bird flying hurriedly to their nest as the branch of the trees nearby dancing along with the afternoon breeze.

It’s always calming sitting in here, gazing up to the sky or just staring at another tall builing around. But surely I’m not in the mood for enjoying scenery right now.

I hate waiting—honestly. Sitting in here alone like I don’t have another useful thing to do—especialy in this hour—is boring and depressing. I’ve been already wasting my precious thirty minutes waiting for someone who seems not have an attempt to show up. Is she forget?

Ah, by the way, the reason why I am still sitting ‘comfortably’ here is because I slighty believe that she’ll come; late or not. She is the kind of girl who never break her promises, but who know if she forgot this time? I sigh at the thought. If she really forgot, I will scolded her all day long tomorrow, and maybe forced her to buy me some delicious food too.

Okay, I’ll wait for another five minutes.

.

I jolted as I heard the door abruptly open, I peeked from behind my shoulder because the sofa I was sitting in is in opposite direction; and then I found Hajin emerged from behind it. Smiling though she was also looked so tired.

“Sorry for making you wait.”

She gasped for air, her forehead gleaming with sweat; probably she run all the way home here. Her hand also onto her chest calming her heartbeat.

“Thanks God, I thought you’ve left.” She smirked at me as she banged the door close again, and then she strode towards me.

I only rolled my eyes and turned in front again, act like I pissed off or maybe made an impression that I don’t care at all, “I thought you’ve forgot.”

I sunk myself more deeply onto the Sofa Hanbin and I brought up from Hajin's house a month ago. Her mother told us that we could have it because she had the new one. So, better brought up here than threw it to the trash bin (as if the size will fit). Just don't ask how we brought this sofa to the rooftop because neither Hanbin nor I happy to talk about it. And oh yes, this little place is really on rooftop of old shop owned by my uncle. He is really kind to let us play around here, but not only us, he also let everyone including his son (my cousin) to play here. But Jinhwan seem doesn’t like being on rooftop, so yeah... I like to mention that this little place is really own by us three; me, Hajin, and Hanbin.

“I didn't forget, really. But suddenly I had something important to do, so yeah...”

She dropped herself beside me, leaning her back with her face gazed upward to the sky. I notice that she doesn’t really look happy right now. Her eyes somehow dull, even though her iris was sparkling with the glistening sun shine from above.

“What’s wrong?”

I’m sure Hajin heard my question very clearly, but anyway she chose to ignore it and just smiled as her eyes slowly closed. Her hands spreaded widely. It’s weird, I know. She often doing that and she told me that she was hugging the sky. I was kinda used to her weirdness though, so I let her hugging the sky right now.

But suddenly she turned to face me, her hands slowly descended and I’m glad her smile still there eventhough the spark on her eyes had vanished. “You seem always know if there were something’s wrong with me.”

"Yeah I guess, you are obvious and I think it does with you ask me to come here alone?"

I asked again, I kept my eyes on her but somehow she was seemed avoiding eye contact with me. She kept staring at something above my shoulder.

She bit her bottom lip. Her expession became grim. A curve on her lips had fanished. She managed to looked fine with plestering another weak smile on her face, but of course it wasn’t working anymore, she wasn’t looked fine at all. Her grimace was too much, and I think Hajin herself knew better that I knew how she’s feeling.

Hajin stood from her sitting potition, slowly made steps towards the edge. I just silently watching her going further, anticipating about something she might be going to say.

Hajin looked throughly to the street below, then she found her new smile and waved her tiny hand to someone there—I wasn’t sure who was that—after that, she turned to face me again.

“I honestly asked Hanbin to come too, but I want you to come earlier.”

Ah, that was Hanbin, I thought; but the idea about coming in different time is absurd, we usually come together. Hajin never asked such an odd favor like this before.

I knew something is up, something was wrong. Just looked at Hajin face, it gave me enough hint that the said girl wasn’t in a good condition. It’s like she would confessing something horrible. Something sinful.

I stood and walked toward Hajin by the edge. As I nearer, I could see Hanbin walking with smug smile on his face as I looked down. He raised his middle finger to me, but I only make a funny face for reply and that was making Hajin laugh so hard.

“I will miss you both.” She wiped the tears that flowing to her checks, I didn’t really sure if the tears was because of her laugh or her sadness.

She then scurried towards the sofa again and hide her face between her knees. She hugged her feet so thightly, her shoulder shaking, and I knew she was crying by the hiccup sound she made.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I kneeled in front of her, caressing her arm tenderly.

The situation when Hajin crying like this before was because of the sudden death of her cat. She didn’t have any pet after that. So I think, maybe this is gonna be serious right? Like... she just cried and she was so god damn sad.

“I don’t want to g-go.” She hiccuped as she said the words.

I was so confuse, but also curious about what she said about that ‘don’t want to go’. I blankly looked at her wet knees jeans before let out the words, “Okay, you are not going anywhere though, right Hajin?”

“I’ll go tomorrow.” She managed to look up and stared at me in the eyes with her glassy eyes. Her tears stuck on her eyelashes and I think she still looked so beautiful though.

And then, she began to cry again, her tample dropped to her knees, and I was still confuse about the situation I was faced right now. But I hugged her after all.

“Shhh.” I couldn’t say anything in this state. Just clumsily put my arm around her shoulder. I perfectly know that I am awkward.

“I can’t tell Hanbin. Just can’t; but at least I want... no, I don’t want to go Jiwon. I don’t want to say goodbye. I’m affraid there are no another hello.”

“I don’t understand.” I stated my mystification.

“Me neither.” She said rather calmly.

Then, she began to explain how she, her brother and her mother had to move to Japan—state where Hajin’s father currently working. She told me how her mother worried about her father loyalty, and consider they should be always together, living together.

“It means forever? You'll live there?”

“My brother and I had persuaded my mom to let us live here, but she hasn't tell anything about it. She just told us that we should go. I don't know Jiwon; I hope it was just for holiday, not forever; but this morning mom said she already set our removal document.”

Then the door swing open again, revealing Hanbin with the same smug smile on his face, obviously oblivion about the situation around here. Hajin and I were—of course—jerked at the sudden voice, especially at this tensed state when everything turned serious.

“Don’t tell him.” She simply warned me, removed the trace of tears with the back of her hand then run towards Hanbin.

Although her eyes were swollen, I guess Hanbin couldn’t notice that she just cried minutes ago. She became so bubbly and it’s just unbelieveble that she is in sad condition right now.

“Lets getting some food and have fun!” She linked her hand onto Hanbin's arm and dragged him back to the door.

“Hei, I just got here!” Hanbin stumblingly walking beside her. He took a glance at me—who just shrughed—before being dragged more further.

I don't have idea how Hajin do that. She cried in my embrace with eyes full of sorrow and then she run to Hanbin with those beautiful sparkly eyes of her like she has no worries at all, but suddenly it hits me; ‘I don’t want to say goodbye.’ That was what she said, she also was forbidding me to tell Hanbin either, she didn’t want to say good bye to Hanbin that’s why. And today it seems like my goodbye.

“Come on Jiwon!” I heard Hajin shouted. The two of them halted at the door threshold. Both looking at me, waiting.

If they had to create a last good memory, maybe it was better without me, wasn’t it?

“No, You two just go. I have to...” I have to go so you two can be alone.

“Kim Jiwon, seriously!” Hajin crooked her neck as she blowed the angry out of her nostril.

“Seriously, maybe next time.”

It sounds so cruel I know, even I can see a flash of pain in Hajin’s eyes, and I swear she almost cry again. Next time... We don’t even know whether we still have that or not.

“Jiwon please!”

I hate when Hajin plead.

.

Tomorrow morning.

I can’t help but feel a little bit anxious. I thought about not coming but I guess the reason why Hajin told me the exact time when she’ll be leaving the house is mean I must be there to say goodbye directly; properly. Yeah maybe. If not so, it won’t hurt that we meet for the last time.

It wasn’t surprising when I arrived at Hajin’s house. Hajin, her mother, and her brother already carrying their belonging to their taxi. Hajin halted from fed through her trunk to the luggage when she noticed me.

“Hey.” She seemed glad to see me.

“Hey, need help?”

She smiled and just nodding her head.

I began to help her with the trunk.

“Thought you won’t come.” She smiled but I can sense that she tried to conceal her sadness as much as she can. Her eyes swollen, I guess maybe she cried again last night.

“Hey Jiwon, Hanbin doesn’t come?” Seungyoon—Hajin’s  older brother—suddenly appeared with box in his hands. I glanced over Hajin and shook my head lightly.

“How sad, it’s probably the last chance, right little sister?”

“Don’t call me little sister!”

“Whatever! I hate mom by the way. I’m collage student and still need to follow my parents? Gosh, my friends even have their own residence!”

“It means you’ll settle there then?” I asked, totally ignored his gripe. I just need to verification whether Hajin said the truth or not because down in my heart I was still doubt.

Seungyoon sighed before turned to me.

“Yes.” He said, glaced at Hajin. Maybe he thought she didn’t tell me about this and he was tired explaining.

“And your education...”

“I’ll be transferred; we’ll be transferred; so mom and dad can live together. How !” Seungyoon banged the luggage door close and walked away.

I stay still. I thought if Seungyoon had confirmed that they would be transferred it meant that Hajin won’t go to our school after break. It made me sad somehow.

“So...” I glanced at Hajin who standing uneasily beside me, her eyes wandering around. I could notice that she was looking at her mother who hugging her neighbors to give a farewell, also at her brother who sulking to his group of friend, I know them by the name; Taehyun, Jinwoo, Mino, and Seunghoon. They are best friend since middle school. I and Hanbin used to hang out with them too sometimes, but they are collage student now and we are busy with our upcoming final exam and Seungyoon’s little sister.

I waved at them when Mino noticed my presence, then I turned to face Hajin before they could shout and destroy my moment with Hajin.

“I’ll be transferred and live there, I guess. It’s unchanged.” Hajin said with monotonous tone.

“It’s okay; you can come back for holiday later.”

“Yeah, I... maybe.” Hajin shrugged and gave me a half-heartly smile.

“Kids come on; we’ll be late if we’re not hurry.”

Hajin’s mother dashed from her neighbors with teary eyes. I almost could imagine how sad she felt for leaving a good people behind.

“Jiwon!” She suddenly hugged me when she saw me standing beside her daughter.

“Oh Jiwon, thanks for being Hajin’s friend all this time, and Hanbin too. Where’s Hanbin by the way?” I glanced at Hajin who avoided meeting my eyes, I noticed she was looked teary as her mother mentioning Hanbin’s name.

“Mom, come on.” Before I could answer, Hajin dragged her mother from me.

“Tell him my gratitude.” She kissed me on the cheek and then entering the taxi before her daughter.

Hajin turned to me before entering, “Goodbye Jiwon.”

I felt the bitter feeling when she said goodbye, I felt my stomach clenched, I felt my eyes burning; but I manage to smile and raised my hand to give her a little wave. There are still no goodbye from me.

“Goodbye, bro!” Seungyoon tapped my shoulder before entering; it brought me back to reality. The reality that maybe I would never see Hajin again, I would never touch her again, I would never talk to her again.

The window rolled up as the car leaving; I caught a glimpse of Hajin. She was crying... again.